Leaving Las Vegas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leaving Las Vegas Reviews

½ September 14, 2016
Nic Cage is outstanding as he portrays Ben's inevitable descent into the alcoholic abyss. Poignant without being mawkish, this film is an accomplished depiction of the battle against one's own demons.
½ August 19, 2016
Slow moving, but at a reasonable pace that effectively depicts the descent of alcoholism.
½ August 9, 2016
Very well acted by both Cage and Shue. It's a pretty depressing story, but that doesn't take away from how good the movie is.
½ April 17, 2016
Sad love story. Best performance by Nicholas Cage.
½ April 17, 2016
Remember when Nicolas Cage knew to pick roles and to act them in a good way? This is the ultimate example of that time. Outstanding movie.
½ March 19, 2016
With the longest string of poor to mediocre movies in Hollywood history, it is surprising that Nicholas Cage continues to find work. This is not a deep or good film. In fact, the amount of drinking portrayed is often comical. I believe this film has benefited from the early"groupthink" bandwagon of positive reviews, because critics are too afraid to write what they feel rather than try to move within the pack of consensus for fear they have "got it wrong". This film is shallow, poorly acted by Cage and downright silly. This is not a great film and may actually be considered disturbing for depth of its depressing content.
March 16, 2016
One of my favourite movies. Crushingly depressing of course.
January 30, 2016
Nicolas Cage and Elizabeth Shue make chemistry on a drama about two people in care. Sad and depressing, it taught me something: Never go to Las Vegas!
January 29, 2016
Cage and Shue give astonishing performances in this bleak but touching story about suffering and love's power. Figgis captures Las Vegas in a way that evokes a glittering, restless and dreary place unaware of its inhabitants, giving these 2 characters a sense of quiet and detachment from the rest of the world. Through love, they find temporary solace from their tragic existence. It's intimately made, but it covers a wide terrain of human emotion w/ raw sensibilities and an unflinching approach. It's a small triumph.
January 14, 2016
GEEEEZZZ!!!! I had such high hopes for this film, but in the end I was so let down. Roger Ebert compared this film to the classic P.T. Anderson film "Hard Eight" which is one of my all time favorite movies, that could not be further from the truth the only thing those two movies share in common is hookers and Las Vegas. I'm all for melancholy, sad films but they have to be done correctly, this film repeatedly beat the dead horse over and over again. The film did earn two stars for the acting of both the leads and in my opinion Elizabeth Shue gave a better performance than Cage in this film who ended up winning an Oscar for his work. Towards the end of the film I found myself fast forwarding just to get to the end. I would strongly encourage anyone reading this review to go see the film "Hard Eight" and see for yourself what a true classic looks and feels like, both films were made around the same time but but "Hard Eight" Still feels fresh. Leaving Las Vegas just oozes with the stale feel of the 90's.
January 5, 2016
One of the best films of the 90's.
December 16, 2015
An awfully bleak and depressing drama that doesn't offer us any door or way in to connect with a deplorable alcoholic who only wants to die and a pitiable prostitute in need of his love - and her interview scenes are just intrusive, unnecessary and heavy-handed like most of the script.
December 2, 2015
Jesus Christ the heartbreak, the dedication, the convictions. Fantastic film, I never want to watch again, my heart aches at the premise
½ November 6, 2015
if there was any oscar nick cage should've won, it was for this out of control yet in control portrayal of this tragic character and his struggles in life starting from the lowest point and edging downwards into darkness.
October 26, 2015
My favourite Nicolas Cage movie, and a damn good one. Has an uniqe atmosphere and the use of music is special to say the least. Good acting, good direction, good story, good cinematography - just good.
September 11, 2015
The most bizarre love stories I've ever seen. Definitely Nicolas Cage's best role. Very grim and dark.
½ August 17, 2015
The last 20 minutes may be a little unnecessary, but it's not ruining the Movie
August 15, 2015
Nicolas Cage and Elisabeth Shue shine in this bizarre, sexy, tragic look into two troubled lives.