Leaving Las Vegas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leaving Las Vegas Reviews

December 7, 2017
La idea de poner en un mismo nivel a un alcohólico y a una prostituta me parece errada, no me parece que son cosas que están a un mismo nivel. Pero creo que la película tiene mérito al capturar emociones relacionadas a la soledad. También me parece que tiene mucho mérito la atmósfera de ensueño de la película.
July 10, 2017
The plot never went anywhere. Every time I thought this movie was heading in a direction of clarity, it just stayed stagnate. Boring. 2 stars.
July 3, 2017
It is a great dysfunctional romance that is very well developed, but what truly sets it apart is when Cage and Shue are separated, the few scenes in which their desperation and loneliness are heightened and their acting is among the best in cinema history.
May 14, 2017
En donnant à Nicolas Cage ce rôle d'alcoolique suicidaire à Las Vegas, tombant amoureux d'une prostituée au grand coeur jouée par l'excellente Elizabeth Shue, Mike Figgis a parfaitement compris comment se servir de ses qualités. Avec un script extrêmement touchant, déprimant mais parfois souriant, Leaving Las Vegas offrit à Nicolas Cage un Oscar tout à fait mérité. Tour à tour comédie romantique et drame psychologique, Leaving Las Vegas est un tour de maître de Mike Figgis, sans s'encombrer de réels seconds rôles (alors que le casting fourmille d'excellents characters actors comme Graham Beckel, Richard Lewis, Steven Weber ou Danny Huston) et en recentrant son intrigue sur le couple principal. Leaving Las Vegas est un des meilleurs films de la carrière de Nicolas Cage.
April 10, 2017
Nicolas Cage Got An Academy Award For Best Actor For This Film At The 68th Annual Academy Awards In 1996.
½ March 6, 2017
Undeniably dour. The acting is some of the best in decades.
December 8, 2016
The doomed love story in this film involves a prostitute and a suicidal drunk and they're maybe the most perfect match for each other in the history of cinema. The Las Vegas setting, with its tolerance and encouragement of varying kinds of sin, makes the perfect setting-booze-soaked, neon-drenched, jammed with strangers. It's sad without being cynical and romantic without being false.
½ December 2, 2016
Awful direction, awful camera work, terrible character development (aka none for Elizabeth Shue) and ridiculous match up of people. If they had given Sera literally any character development other than a terrible rape sequence this could have had some merit. But alas, it's just a male suicide fantasy. Cage and Shue di their best but in the end it's just a lifeless stinker.
November 22, 2016
This Academy Award winning movie was depressing. No happy ending here. But yes, it's well acted by both main characters Nicolas Cage and Elisabeth Shue. For Cage especially, it's an amazing and convincing performance. Definitely not for kids.

Basically this is the story of two people each living in their own personal hell who come together. Their paths meet and intertwine as they continue their way down into darkness. It seems for a while like love might save them, but no, it doesn't.

He's an alcoholic. She's a prostitute. Oh joy.

If you think she's the lucky one in the end, think again. She may yet be alive, but is she in too deep to escape? How much longer does she have?

It may be a well done movie, but like I said, it's depressing. Not for kids. Why might you even want to watch something like this? Not really sure. Maybe to feel better about your own life?
October 29, 2016
Nobody seems to notice the homage paid to the other prostitute, Bree Daniels, in the movie Klute. There also the technique of having her talking to a psychoanalyst is used except that the therapist is sometimes visible. As well, the hypothetical is more credible because Bree was a high-class call girl, not a street walker. And then, yet again, I never saw a street walker who looked like Sera in my nine years of living in Las Vegas, and I should know. And I do know. I'm surprised that no reviewer made the connection here. Between the two movies.
½ September 14, 2016
Nic Cage is outstanding as he portrays Ben's inevitable descent into the alcoholic abyss. Poignant without being mawkish, this film is an accomplished depiction of the battle against one's own demons.
½ August 19, 2016
Slow moving, but at a reasonable pace that effectively depicts the descent of alcoholism.
½ August 9, 2016
Very well acted by both Cage and Shue. It's a pretty depressing story, but that doesn't take away from how good the movie is.
½ April 17, 2016
Sad love story. Best performance by Nicholas Cage.
½ April 17, 2016
Remember when Nicolas Cage knew to pick roles and to act them in a good way? This is the ultimate example of that time. Outstanding movie.
½ March 19, 2016
With the longest string of poor to mediocre movies in Hollywood history, it is surprising that Nicholas Cage continues to find work. This is not a deep or good film. In fact, the amount of drinking portrayed is often comical. I believe this film has benefited from the early"groupthink" bandwagon of positive reviews, because critics are too afraid to write what they feel rather than try to move within the pack of consensus for fear they have "got it wrong". This film is shallow, poorly acted by Cage and downright silly. This is not a great film and may actually be considered disturbing for depth of its depressing content.
March 16, 2016
One of my favourite movies. Crushingly depressing of course.
January 30, 2016
Nicolas Cage and Elizabeth Shue make chemistry on a drama about two people in care. Sad and depressing, it taught me something: Never go to Las Vegas!