Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole Reviews

December 26, 2017
I think this is a pretty underrated fantasy-adventure film. Not only is the tone darker and kinda fun with a number of awesome moments, but the visuals are just spectacular. The atmosphere, designs, animation, color, its all beautiful and amazing. Despite maybe some minor story issues and a few other nitpicks, its a engaging adventure with good and likable characters and some pretty good dialogue. Its sort of like a kids version of The Lord of the Rings with these cool looking owls. I think my biggest problem is that its only an hour and a half long, I could have gone for Lord of the Rings film length quite honestly.
December 22, 2017
For a animation film about owls it was pretty good, Mostly down to Zack Snyders directing style, The voice cast wasn't nothing great and the story was very predictable but it had some fun action scenes done in classic Snyder slow motion style, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version, The animation was amazing and really is the main reason to watch the film, The dark tone works well as there's very little humour which I found worked well, If you know Zack Snyder films you know what to expect so don't go into this expecting some shitty Disney song along because you will be disappointed.
December 18, 2017
Great animations and beautifuly directed, a must see animated film
October 29, 2017
The animation and 3-D visuals pretty much saved the movie.
½ September 6, 2017
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole isn't just a terrible title, it's also a terrible movie. They cram so many characters and backstory into the clichéd fantasy plot that I was having a hard time keeping up...until I realized that I just didn't care. The animation couldn't hold my attention, either. What a waste of talent.
½ August 17, 2017
The visuals are neat and beautiful to look at; I just wish there was a fleshed out story that explained more and better character development.
½ August 6, 2017
A somewhat okay film, The owls of Ga'Hoole is turned down by trying to be a too serious and dark kids film. Has a good story, but forgettable characters.
May 31, 2017
A boring, crammed adaptation of children's books that fails to capture any magic or wonder from its source material.
½ May 26, 2017
Pretty decent movie, despite that its plot can delve into familiar territory at certain moments. Love the animation and action scenes though
May 15, 2017
Legend of the Guardians: Owls of Ga'Hoole has dazzling 3D visuals and packs in a dark tone that may not be for small ones.
April 23, 2017
An important story. Thanks for creating this!
½ March 31, 2017
I loved this movie. It's so good. It's beautiful emotionfilled with awesome characters. Yes, the story has problems. But they are by far not big enough to ruin this movie for me in any way shape or form. It's an amazingly good movie.
½ February 14, 2017
Legend of the Guardians (2010) Is a surprisingly gritty animated film. The movie is based on a novel of the same name and the people that made this movie are the same ones who did "Happy Feet". The story is very action packed and lovely but it's also kinda complex. You'd have to really pay attention to what's going on because their might be some tiny details that might slip by you. I really appreciate how the filmmakers want to make a fully detailed story that is more geared toward adults then it is for children. However, I do kinda think that it makes the movie kinda forgettable because there's just so many things to keep track of that it's hard to grasp what going on. The story isn't bad necessarily. it is quite enjoyable and very intense, but compared to the animated hits that have been coming out recently, I think the story does fall a little short of being remembered. The characters are likable but the names I can barely even remember. I understand each character's motivation and they all are strongly written but the names aren't that catchy. The owl villains are kinda cool, one of them hides in the shadows most of the movie which makes him kinda intimidating and the other is a female owl who is in charge of leading the stolen owls. I also think the brother character is very despicable and it's shocking of what he becomes much to the main characters dismay and it's done surprisingly well. The animation is gorgeous and amazing. The studio has done a great job putting realistic designs on the owls and the background scenery is jaw dropping and fantastic. I knew owls were beautiful to look at but this movie made them look outstanding. The music score is kinda "Lord of the Rings" styled and it works when it's doing dramatic sequences. One problem I do have with the score is that they try to incorporate a pop song in the movie. Now, I would understand if it was during the end credits but they actually try to use it at the start of the 3rd act. It comes out as kinda distracting because it doesn't really fit with the movies tone. If they do want a song, then they should have done one that matched the tone of the movie. It's not a huge problem but I feel like that could have replaced the pop song with something better. This film isn't really as remembered as "Happy Feet", but it still succeeds in being a very well made film. It may not be fully remembered but I still think this is a really good adventure to behold (B+)
½ February 10, 2017
I inhaled the entire book series of the Owls of Ga'Hoole thanks to this movie. The artwork was amazing and details from Ms. Lansky's research to film held my attention in awe. Should be rated GP 13 because of the fighting, unless your little ones watch National Geographiic without being frightened. Yes, the movie isn't exactly as written, but rarely it is. Still it's a captivating movie for the entire family. Anyway, I do hope they have a sequel while reintroducing the original to the public.
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 14, 2017
Zack Snyder? Count me in.
December 7, 2016
I want a sequel. This movie was well done and visually stunning, but not so book-accurate.
½ November 12, 2016
guardians of ga'hoole is from the same director as 300 and watchmen so you would expect it to have over the top action sequences and memorable dialogue right? well, not really. I don't know if it's super accurate to the books or not but if it is, then why explains the RT score? just wake me up when Zack Snyder makes a hand drawn animated amulet movie and then he will earn my trust again.

Owens grade: C+
November 7, 2016
Loved it hope for sequel
November 1, 2016