Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole Reviews

½ February 14, 2017
Legend of the Guardians (2010) Is a surprisingly gritty animated film. The movie is based on a novel of the same name and the people that made this movie are the same ones who did "Happy Feet". The story is very action packed and lovely but it's also kinda complex. You'd have to really pay attention to what's going on because their might be some tiny details that might slip by you. I really appreciate how the filmmakers want to make a fully detailed story that is more geared toward adults then it is for children. However, I do kinda think that it makes the movie kinda forgettable because there's just so many things to keep track of that it's hard to grasp what going on. The story isn't bad necessarily. it is quite enjoyable and very intense, but compared to the animated hits that have been coming out recently, I think the story does fall a little short of being remembered. The characters are likable but the names I can barely even remember. I understand each character's motivation and they all are strongly written but the names aren't that catchy. The owl villains are kinda cool, one of them hides in the shadows most of the movie which makes him kinda intimidating and the other is a female owl who is in charge of leading the stolen owls. I also think the brother character is very despicable and it's shocking of what he becomes much to the main characters dismay and it's done surprisingly well. The animation is gorgeous and amazing. The studio has done a great job putting realistic designs on the owls and the background scenery is jaw dropping and fantastic. I knew owls were beautiful to look at but this movie made them look outstanding. The music score is kinda "Lord of the Rings" styled and it works when it's doing dramatic sequences. One problem I do have with the score is that they try to incorporate a pop song in the movie. Now, I would understand if it was during the end credits but they actually try to use it at the start of the 3rd act. It comes out as kinda distracting because it doesn't really fit with the movies tone. If they do want a song, then they should have done one that matched the tone of the movie. It's not a huge problem but I feel like that could have replaced the pop song with something better. This film isn't really as remembered as "Happy Feet", but it still succeeds in being a very well made film. It may not be fully remembered but I still think this is a really good adventure to behold (B+)
½ February 10, 2017
I inhaled the entire book series of the Owls of Ga'Hoole thanks to this movie. The artwork was amazing and details from Ms. Lansky's research to film held my attention in awe. Should be rated GP 13 because of the fighting, unless your little ones watch National Geographiic without being frightened. Yes, the movie isn't exactly as written, but rarely it is. Still it's a captivating movie for the entire family. Anyway, I do hope they have a sequel while reintroducing the original to the public.
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 14, 2017
Zack Snyder? Count me in.
December 7, 2016
I want a sequel. This movie was well done and visually stunning, but not so book-accurate.
½ November 12, 2016
guardians of ga'hoole is from the same director as 300 and watchmen so you would expect it to have over the top action sequences and memorable dialogue right? well, not really. I don't know if it's super accurate to the books or not but if it is, then why explains the RT score? just wake me up when Zack Snyder makes a hand drawn animated amulet movie and then he will earn my trust again.

Owens grade: C+
November 7, 2016
Loved it hope for sequel
November 1, 2016
amazing! God is real!
August 13, 2016
The story is a bit lackluster, but it had a lot of potential. The strong point is definitely the breathtaking animation, which, to me, makes it worth seeing by itself. It's darker than your average children's movies, courtesy to the books. Again, absolutely gorgeous.
August 4, 2016
Gorgeous to look at, but the movie never picks up until the last act. The pacing is terrible and the overall story is boring.
½ July 26, 2016
The Legend of the Guardians is yet another example of Zack Synder's need for emphasizing beautiful imagery over competent storytelling. It's interesting to note that this film feels like a knockoff of the eighties period Don Bluth film, specifically a hybrid of The Secret of NIMH and The Land Before Time. The film strives for the same dark and epic tone of both films, yet due to several basic failings of the narrative, including Synder's usual over reliance of slow motion and it's paced too quickly for anything to register. There is no way to clearly and precisely tell hos much time is spent in each section, unless the narrative is meant to be told as if it were happening over the course of, at max, five days. Further most of the characters are either bland or obnoxious, despite the efforts of an incredibly talented voice cast. It's painfully predictable, perhaps due to its origin as another would be a dark young adult series in the vein of Redwall or Watership Down. It certainly boasts impressive animation but that animation is wasted on a potentially interesting story modeled by a lackluster execution.
July 1, 2016
Good movie I saw in theatres just watch and still a good movie not great but a good movie and one to see with the family
½ June 24, 2016
This movie flat out sucked
May 25, 2016
Ga'hoole is not that bad, even with a ridiculous plot.
May 11, 2016
A bully good movie with exemplary artwork ,
Animation and storylines. This movie was so good it got me interested in the book series.
½ May 1, 2016
This film is cinematic garbage
½ April 20, 2016
Legend of the Guardians lacks its source material's creativity, soul, and clever story elements, but the visuals and animation style are undeniably stunning
April 14, 2016
Not a bad kids film, although - aside from having owls as the main characters - it's not very original or inventive. Young Soren (Sturgess) is kidnapped by the bad guys, then has to find the good guys of his Dad's stories ("the Guardians") to stop them - which they do, with his help. I like that it's set in Australia, with a Tasmanian Devil, Gum Trees and Flying Foxes, plus so many Aussie accents - it's fun going: that's Weaving, that's Wenham, that's Rush... How do the owls make helmets without any thumbs? Anyway, some nice CGI and a good pace make this a just-above-average family film.
½ April 6, 2016
I think this is a very underrated Zack Snyder film.
March 28, 2016
While the film may lose much of it's story in translation, Legend of the Guardians is still a beautifully animated and surprisingly darker animated tale that isn't afraid to take risks - even if some of them don't work.