Lethal Weapon 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lethal Weapon 2 Reviews

January 2, 2018
5/5. Lethal Weapon 2 improves upon the original in every way. Gibson and Glover have fantastic chemistry, the stunts are insane, the villains are extremely easy to hate, plus the addition of Joe Pesci is fantastic. Lethal Weapon 2 is one of, if not the best, buddy-cop movies of all time.
December 13, 2017
The inevitable sequel cometh. The same mullet, the same tormented aging family man, the same scenarios, and the same car; Murtaugh's family station wagon. Yep despite the car getting wrecked in the first movie, Murtaugh has the same car for the sequel. Well this time its actually an Oldsmobile (previous was a Ford) but I'm sure its suppose to be the same car seeing as it looks identical.

Anyway enough about the details of a family station wagon, what happens in this escapade? Mismatched cops Riggs and Murtaugh are now the best of pals and a top crime fighting partnership. Despite being a real pain in their superiors ass with all the damage and paperwork they cause, they always manage to get the job done. Right so this time the plot gets a bit political, well a lot political frankly (for the time). Yes once again the duo are after the arch nemesis of the 80's, drug dealers. But this time the baddies turn out to be headed by a South African diplomat/consul. To be more precise, the Afrikaner Apartheid Government of South Africa. These diabolical villains are smuggling cocaine and are slowly preparing to return to South Africa with their nasty ill gotten gains.

I think the opening action sequence kinda sums up the movie for me, it shows you what to expect for the rest of the run time. Riggs and Murtaugh are chasing down one of the South African bad guys (Mark Rolston). The good guys are driving the family station wagon, the bad guys in a BMW. Somehow this crappy station wagon is able to keep up with said BMW for the most part. Then at one point Riggs gets out and pursues on foot, as he did in the first movie. Riggs then gets back into the station wagon and drives it up against the highway barrier causing much damage, to Murtaugh's anger and despair. Yet in the next shot there is no visual damage to be seen. It all ends with auto carnage and a helicopter appearing outta nowhere to save the bad guys.

In short this movie ejects the darker grittier aspect of the first movie and instead ops for overblown action and goofy comedy. Once again Shane Black was brought on to helm the script and once again he produced what you would expect Shane Black to produce. The studios rejected Black's work for being too dark and violent. Apparently the studio [b]and[/b] Richard Donner wanted to take the franchise into lighter territory, more comedy. Instead they went with a script by Jeffrey Boam which either cut or watered down much of Black's work.

Unfortunately this comedy aspect is really really obvious throughout the entire movie, to the point where it becomes annoying. Now don't get me wrong, there is a lot of super decent action in this movie and the mismatched pairing of Riggs and Murtaugh still holds strong. Its just a shame they turn the gritty duo into a goofy comedy act duo. There are so many scenes of silly dialog between the characters which are admittedly amusing but at the same time, it just feels too much, they just go too far with it. Easily the funniest scene in the movie has to be the TV commercial for condoms with Murtaugh's daughter. That scene is genuinely amusing and played out perfectly. No problems, it fits the bill; but then you have the entire toilet bomb sequence. Its supposed to be thrilling and emotional, showcasing how close Riggs and Murtaugh have become. But at the same time its basically one big gag which ruins any impact its supposed to have.

Its in this movie that we also get the introduction of a new character to the team, sort of. Joe Pesci turns up as Leo Getz, a slimy, greasy little conman who laundered a billion Dollars for the South Africans. He's now in the witness protection program which Riggs and Murtaugh have been assigned to (especially for Getz). Now in this movie little Leo is actually a somewhat solid character. Pesci's performance is terrific fun (can anyone say 'fuck' better than Pesci?) and he is actually a good addition to the movie. The character adds a nice comedy element which isn't over the top; in turn he comes across as relatively realistic. Its just unfortunate they really wreck this character in the next movie.

Then you have the action sequences which have naturally now become really big and slick. Take the main car chase sequence where Riggs and Murtaugh go after an assassin that just tried to off Leo. The entire sequence is bold and clearly looked good on paper. In reality (looking back) its a mixed bag because everything looks so fake. For a start the car chase is clearly going very slowly, but using a pickup truck towing a car what do you expect. Secondly the stunt doubles are far too obvious. You can clearly see at multiple points its not Gibson. And lastly the ending is so stupid and it didn't even work. The surf board that flies through the air and supposedly goes through the bad guys face, yet you can clearly see in the shot that doesn't happen. Terrible editing and effects for a daft conclusion.

The bad guys for this sequel are definitely more menacing than the first I think. Admittedly Joss Ackland's elderly South African consul Arjen Rudd isn't overly intimidating, he merely comes across as a grumpy grandfather if you ask me. He also doesn't really do much other than stand around looking grumpy and barking orders. Its his henchmen that are more dastardly I think. This is mainly because they aren't totally faceless and useless. We do get to know some of the henchmen by face which adds a bit more zing when they fight with the good guys (if they're faceless hoods its meaningless, who cares).

The lead henchman Pieter Vorstedt (Derrick O'Connor) is the real villain of the bunch though. O'Connor really has the perfect look for this character with his scrawny, wiry frame and gaunt face. He looks evil, he is merciless, brutal, and packs more punch than you'd think. I also liked how he's dressed in retro/dated attire that does fit with old school South Africa, the schoolboy-esque blazer and tie look. Vorstedt was easily the best thing in this movie, a really solid villain. Its also worth pointing out that these villains were also racist in this movie. Yes they even used a derogatory word most commonly used in South Africa. God knows if they'd get away with that now (doubtful) but it most definitely adds to the realism and emotional impact when things get heated.

Overall this movie is a hard one to judge really. Its both enjoyable but totally flawed, annoyingly so. Looking back there are so many tiny mistakes such as the length of Riggs hair from scene to scene. The obvious stunt doubles are horribly obvious. The stunts are often very obvious meaning its just too easy to tell where its all been set up, cornered off etc...People and vehicles in the background give the game away far too easily, and the big car jump out of the cargo container in the docks looked like something out of a stunt show. In other words these sequences didn't really blend in, they stuck out. Then there's the nagging question of why Riggs never uses his martial arts skills anymore, remember he had those? And what is it with his constant wearing of red or blue shirts? Is there a hidden meaning behind those??

Its one of the best, if not [b]the[/b] best, comedy action movies of all time. But alas its also one of the biggest disappointments in terms of watering down a sequel from its far grittier, darker, superior original. Its up there, but it could/should of been so much more.
½ December 5, 2017
Ok not as good as the first movie starring once again Mel Gibson and Danny clover, did I finally get his name right, I have no idea. This movie is pretty much the first , pretty much except they like each other.
October 29, 2017
One of the best action sequels of all time, Lethal Weapon 2 can't quite live up to the original, and the plot is thin, but the acting is just as great as the original, and so are the action and dialogue. The one-liners are as numerous as they are memorable, Joe Pesci gives one of his best and funniest performances ever, and the film as a whole is just a lot of fun.
September 27, 2017
Just as good as the first, but with a better plot.
August 18, 2017
This sequel is just as good as the original, and with the addition of Joe Pesci it ends up being a tad bit funnier as well. A lot of good action sequences in this one that are memorable. It is more of the same, and that is fine with me.
July 24, 2017
I'm starting this review off with a compete and utter devotion to Joe Pesci's outstanding performance as Leo Gets. He's terrric and the stand out, he absolutely owns the film even though he's a supporting player. Funny, nasty and memorable throughout. Donner's sequel is welcome addition, carrying on the crazy and quirk friendship that Glover and Gibson have, with developing and maintaining the equilibrium. The social and racial commentary on South Africa is also a welcome addition, it may turn many off as being out of place but I couldn't disagree more in a time where such an act like apartheid was considered the social norm in a county,
July 3, 2017
Carregado com os elementos habituais, Máquina Mortífera 2 beneficia de uma consistência afetiva entre personagens que faltou no primeiro filme. Desta vez, o roteirista Jeffrey Boam melhorou a história de Shane Black e o diretor Richard Donner teve uma ótima sensibilidade humorística.
April 29, 2017
The winning formula is back in full force, the action is ramped up and whilst not quite as novel or intriguing as the first movie, it's as a damn fine sequel that ticks all the right boxes.
½ April 16, 2017
Not as good as the first of course but still a funny, entertaining, and thrilling ride. Still great acting/chemistry/characters.
March 30, 2017
When we don't let anything stop us from getting what we want when we are after bad guys, being a star, winning bets, and conducting business that we go beyond our limits. When somethings that used to stop us, we set aside, forget, ignore, or just walk into, when it's open. When somethings do stop us when we have each others backs watching out. When we can't stop ourselves from protecting, getting the bad guy, laughing, chesting or when the duty calls to smoke/drink/eat to know we are ready for anything. When we stop gor nobody when we know the ins and outs to go another way. When we can stop others from doing somethings for their safety. When what stops us we go anyways. When we need to go when duty calls.
When we have to stop or risk getting killed when we are heading towards a head on collision. When we can't go and help ourselves to know that we can't stop those with immunity they use against us. When we wish to go to be allowed to go when what stops us is liability. When we see that we can stop those right on their tracks when they prevent us from our business going places. When we don't let the small things stop us from going after what we want. When some people stop us from going after somethings when they are big. When what stops us from going is when we are strapped & armed. When what stops one stops both of us when we have each others backs to go out with a bang together. When what stops us is what on coming and going our way that we don't see. When what doesn't stop us we go in in conspicuously and go the back door when no one is looking. When we do have lethal weapons of our own to stop intruders, but we go in anyways with the upper hand. When we can stop others in some other things, we don't take stop for an answer. When we do see eye to eye on somethings when we don't allow the small things stop us but the big things need to be stopped. When we need to put a stop to some people to get rid of them one by one when they try to stop us. When we need to stop and regroup when we sre going in deeper in shit with our enemies. When we rather stop and go deep with other things, but duty calls. When we put a stop to some people we go ahead and reveal what we kept, when they were the vary reason for us stopping in the first place. When we couldn't stop others from being hurt or killed that we go ahead and blame ourselves again. When we were asked to stop, but we continue to go when we seek revenge. When nothing is too big or too small that stops us that we bring down the house from those planning on going. When we know where we must go to put a stop to everything coming in and going. When the cost of what we do isn't enough when we could be stopped that we font understand why we go on when crime pays. When what we do is put a stop to our problem and many others whom want to go on living safely that we need to stop crime from paying. When it's not easy stopping crime at its tracks when we have to go on living with what we did after. If stopping crime were as easy as pushing a button. When we know there is no stopping us when we keep going.
February 16, 2017
Lethal Weapon 2 is just as action packed, funny and thrilling as the first. A sequel worthy of this superior action franchise.
½ November 29, 2016
Good action film. Prefer the first one slightly but this is still good. Joe Pesci was a great edition to the franchise
November 27, 2016
Classic! Sequel to Lethal Weapon (1987). Followed by two more theatrical sequels and a TV series reboot. On Blu-ray.
½ November 14, 2016
161114: Patsy Kensit is hot. A lot hotter than the story offered in this weak sequel. Disappointed in the naivety of law enforcement in this film. If someone is trying to kill you, and they are killing people all around you, you may want to be situationally aware. Leo Getz (Joe Pesci) is good for a few laughs. Don't really see any reason to see this film again...other than to see Kensit in the buff.
September 10, 2016
Great humor, good partner chemistry between Gibson and Glover. This is one those rare sequels that stands up next to the original. I might even argue that it's BETTER than the original. If you enjoyed Lethal Weapon, you should have a great time watching Lethal Weapon 2.
½ August 14, 2016
Leo Shutup Already ð???
August 12, 2016
Maybe more like a 3.75/5
July 30, 2016
Mel Gibson and Danny Glover return as Riggs and Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon 2. Donner returns to direct as well, and its clear he has a bit more to work with. Now that Riggs and Murtaugh are acquainted, there is more focus on there budding partnership and together they focus on a new set of smugglers. This time they are lead by a South African diplomat that has diplomatic immunity in the state. This of course causes a wrinkle in there ability to investigate. When they lose a key witness that they are protecting Leo Getz (Joe Pesci) and Rigg's new girl is killed, it again becomes personal. Lethal Weapon 2 retains all of the good elements from the first film, but has a bit more action and humor to go along with it.