Liberal Arts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Liberal Arts Reviews

½ October 3, 2016
One of the better finds, I couldn't stop watching this film and loved every minute of it. A gentle discovery film that is well directed and acted by Raynor. A great find and one film I respond a lot with.
September 25, 2016
OK, not great. Almost a student "film" but shot better in the low'ish budget genre. A morality play on the subject of older, younger, & age appropriate women for thoughtful men, and good in that regard. Thankfully it was no longer than it was, so the editing was about right. Elizabeth Olsen was good but did not really that seductive, as she was supposed to be. A better casting choice could have been made. Had the low-budget "feel" of "At Middleton" with Andy Garcia & Vera Farmiga.
July 3, 2016
A fun movie to watch. Josh Radnor plays a man at a cross roads who has to revisit his university years to grow up. I found this really enjoyable.
June 21, 2016
Josh Radnor improves on his directing and writing mantle to tell a coming-of-age story.
½ June 15, 2016
Liberal Arts is a decent film. It is about Jesse who falls in love with Zibby, a college student. Josh Radnor and Elizabeth Olsen give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Josh Radnor also did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor.
May 27, 2016
I read a blurb about this movie somewhere and put it in my Amazon basket ? I actually bought it, stocked up on chocolates and stayed in one cold night to watch it. Until I realized what it was I would have given it three or four stars. As the movie progressed I kept saying to myself, ?no, no, please don?t let it be ANOTHER didactic, puritanical American tale about who it is OK to have sex with! (or ?date? as the silly euphemism goes)?.

But that?s exactly what happened. Janney is ?bad? because she has sex outside her ?fuddy-duddy approved, age appropriate sub-group?, Radnor is ?nearly bad? because as an ?old? 35 year old male HE nearly considers thinking about having sex with a 19 year old (the LAST American taboo), Olsen is ?good? because, though she goes and has sex with a slimy Jock Alpha male stereotype the night Radnor turns down her generous offer and Jenkins is ?good? because he reminds Radnor that one must never, ever have sex with a female younger than oneself.

This was yet another pathetic American morality play about nonsense ? it would be laughed off the screen in any other country. Americans need to get over the fact that their daughters want (indeed many of them ?need?) to have sex with guys who are much older than they are and that this is normal.

This is a saccharine movie about approving of who you have sex with. Yuch!!
May 13, 2016
As Jason Segel, Alyson Hannigan and Neil Patrick Harris never gave me weird feelings about portraying other roles than Marshall, Lili and Barney, I have always had struggles seeing Josh Radnor and Cobie Smulders being anything different than Ted and Robin.
But this time Radnor's performances really had its own personality and the whole movie was a genuine and fresh experience, thanks also to the good performances from the rest of the cast.
May 10, 2016
This motherfucking movie having fucking olsen to star in and NOBODY is fucking. Grow some fucking balls
May 6, 2016
Great movie. Good acting and story.
½ April 30, 2016
I kept half-expecting Neil Patrick Harris to turn up and berate Josh Radnor for being so pretentious. To be fair though, while many of the characters are quite pretentious, the movie itself is less so. I found myself comparing it to Garden State - kind of endearingly pretentious, if that makes sense. The Jesse-Zibby pairing is thoughfully handled; this isn't the creepy vanity project I feared it would be upon learning the premise. Zibby comes across as so grown up and articulate that we find ourselves in a dilemma as to whether to condone the relationship, just as Jesse does regarding whether to pursue it. Olsen is captivating as usual, and Jenkins and Janney are both in fine form. It's a small movie about big ideas, and Radnor does a solid job both behind and in front of the camera. Even Zac Efron is pretty good.
April 30, 2016
Great movie, but I can't relate to the artistic romanticism ideals and the too-frequent "books are better than tv" commentary. I've read books, and I've seen tv. I'll choose tv every time. This movie makes me feel unsophisticated and simple, and I hate that. Zac Efron's character was totally hilarious though!
April 20, 2016
finally! a good movie lol I have been on such a bad streak with movies lately I was willing to try anything and this one even though slow at points its so smart and charming and full of great inspirational one liners
Kal X. Attenborough
February 8, 2016
A surprisingly decent indie film revolving around different-age relationships, career second-guessing, and literature, lots of literature. However I still can't stop seeing that there's so much of Radnor's previous role of Ted Mosby in Jesse Fischer. Aside from Radnor sort of typecasting himself in his own feature film, Liberal Arts is also a medium for Elizabeth Reaser to prove wonderfully that she can actually act and that she wasn't just that vampire stepmother from Twilight.
½ January 24, 2016
Olsen is great because she's always great and there a few smart bits but this is all consistently muffled by overwritten dialogue and cliched moments.
Robert B.
October 3, 2015
Liberal Arts conveys the indie spirit, if not its charm. The acting is fine, but the delivery is a bit off as is the plotting. If you are looking for your typical Hollywood romantic comedy then you should probably give Liberal Arts a pass. If you are a sympathetic fan of indie films then you'll mostly likely find Liberal Arts to be just fine as it is.
½ October 2, 2015
Light Hearted Nostalgia Pic Pre-Packaged For The Alternitive 20-Somethings. It Doesn't Take Itself Too Seriously So Works Well...But Nothing Too Special. Just Run Of The Mill Rom-Com Drama.
½ September 28, 2015
Really not a good film. Actors are great (apart from Josh Radnor who seems to play the same character as his most famous role - Ted Mosby) but there is basically no plot & what does happen is cheesy and unbelievable. If I had the choice again I would pick a different film.
½ August 10, 2015
Not quite a coming-of-age story, but certainly one about finding oneself. It's a relatively gentile story of love, relationships, and understanding life through education.
July 30, 2015
I had a strong feeling this entire movie that I was supposed to think it was cool and artsy, but it felt more like a weird Rom Com. I really enjoyed Elizabeth Olsen's performance though!
½ July 27, 2015
Charming and lovely, Liberal Arts leads us to a nostalgic trip to our youths with incredible performances, making this film a good story easily to identify or get trapped with.