Lifeforce - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lifeforce Reviews

October 18, 2017
Largely forgotten these days, and a critical and box office disaster in 1985, LIFEFORCE, if for no other reason, should still be seen for anyone with a taste for the bizarre. There had never been a film quite like it before, and there will certainly not be anything like it again.
September 22, 2017
This is a pretty good movie. I liked it more than some critically acclaimed movies. I found it more enjoyable than Arrival (NOT THE JOHN CARPENTER VERSION!) and Life (not the Eddie Murphy version). Those movies were awful and lame. So if you like 80s movies, this is great! If you like lame artsy movies that don't make sense and put some unnecessary plot twist right at the end then watch Arrival.
September 18, 2017
LifeForce is Tobe Hooper's take on the Sci-Fi/Vampire/Horror genre. I liked this movie, though it did have it's faults. The special effects were pretty good for the 1980s, but dated compared to today's standards. The plot was good and easy to follow but did cover a lot with numerous characters and scenes. Overall I would recommend this movie, it is a solid Sci-Fi with an unique spin by Hooper.
September 5, 2017
Got to be one of the worse films I've ever had the misfortune to sit through, I feel I've wasted a valuable part of my life.
July 15, 2017
Weird? Unique? Adventurous? No doubt! But good? Just plain no! The film gets off to a quick start, and like the perpetually accelerating engine of the comet-bound spaceship, the narrative never slows down-and, again like the spaceship, the end result is a chaotic and self-destroying explosion of interesting ideas, thin characterization, and a disastrously confusing plot that leaves the viewer dead-eyed.
½ July 5, 2017
Naked space vampires! Patrick Stewart frenching a guy! Wonderfully schlocky trash.
½ June 22, 2017
It's so bad it's good. The plot doesn't really make any sense. The characters merely exist to serve the plot. It seems to have a message occasionally but it forgets what it is. The special effects are at times hyper-real and at other times totally bonkers. If you like B movies you will love this. Mathilda May's gorgeous naked body is by itself worth the price of admission, but it's also a symbol of what's wrong with this film. I feel the people behind the film felt by showing Space Girl completely naked they were showing strength in her sexuality. However, in most cultures the naked form actually is read by people as a sign of weakness and fragility. Reducing the villain (or anti-heroine maybe?) to a sex object defeats the purpose intended. You can tell sometimes what the film was trying to convey, but it was using a language its audience does not understand. The end result feels like a Hollywood film made remotely from Mars, by people who think they understand mankind but totally do not, and maybe that's why I love it so much.
June 4, 2017
It has a dynamite performance by Patrick Stewart. It clearly had script issues and there are some plot holes but it's enjoyable.
April 26, 2017
It started out really interesting, but it turned out to be just alright
½ March 29, 2017
Exponentially ridiculous.
October 23, 2016
Bonkers and good at the same time!
½ October 10, 2016
Spectacular effects, some risky story elements, and a odd film in all. Lifeforce doesn't quite flow together smoothly, and there are some silly moments, but it's a unique horror film with some cool sci-fi elements.
October 9, 2016
Somewhat overlong and unfocused but it has moments of charm and some splendid fx amongst the long lingering shots of gratuitous nudity.
October 3, 2016
An insane journey. The action starts not even a minute in and does not let up. 30 minutes later you'll be asking yourself, "is this the same film I was watching 30 minutes ago?" You'll do the same an hour in, and again, and again with greater frequency! Seriously this film has everything: High budget sets, low budget sets, no budget left sets, space walks, space bats, space sphicters within a giant space metaphor, not-vampire not-clothed space ladies, dry not-zombie vampires, wet not-zombie vampires, long walks through the countryside, endless psychic techno-jargon laced exposition, the exorcism of Captain Picard, chaos in the streets (complete with Ghostbusters style special effects), exploding miniatures, highlander swords, martial law, true love and, of course, the impending nuclear strike of London. Then, before any drawn out final exposition can screw things up by attempting to reel back in the truly manic plot, the credits roll. An ideal horror film experience if ever there was.
August 18, 2016
This starts off as an interesting science-fiction movie, but it unfolds into many things, notably a vampire movie and a zombie apocalypse movie. It is entertaining but fuzzy, and there are a few inelegant plot dumps that really pull the whole movie down.
½ June 5, 2016
Lifeforce is a delightful alien invasion/body horror film from Tobe (Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Poltergeist) Hooper The film goes on longer than it can sustain--it's actually 1 hr 56 min despite the above listed running time. Apart from that, it is a delightfully original, creepy, erotic, and bizarre piece of science fiction-horror cinema that blends Mario Bava's Planet of the Vampires, Ridley Scott's Alien (inspired by Bava's film), and Don Siegel's Invasion of the Body Snatchers together into a wonderful new gestalt. Guest appearances,an unrepentant use of nudity, and loads of gore blend together with an inspired aesthetic and delightfully apocalyptic vibe to make Lifeforce an unforgettable film that further attests to Hooper's talent.
May 1, 2016
A cult sci-fi / zombie film with some bad acting and a silly story.
½ October 12, 2015
Sort of a cross between "Alien" and "Species" but with space vampires.
October 5, 2015
One of those cheesy 1980s scifi films, being by turns self-serious, off the wall, and fairly grandiose. Reminded me of old school Doctor Who so I liked it, warts and all. Music score was top notch.
August 23, 2015
Lifeforce es una película con muchísimos problemas a nivel de guión y edición, no sabiendo encontrar el ritmo o una lógica interna a los sucesos que se van aconteciendo. Sin embargo es una de esas películas de ciencia-ficción y terror de los ochentas que tienen tanto encanto que no puedes evitar sentirte arrastrado hasta ellas.

Claro que la preciosa Mathilda May también ayuda...