Logan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Logan Reviews

½ March 23, 2017
An intense performance by Hugh Jackman was combined with an excellent character study of the Wolverine to deliver both a heartfelt and gut-wrenching film about mortality, aging, and family. These themes served as a juxtaposition for the visceral and vicious onslaught of blood, violence, and even gore. Without exaggerating, this is one of the best comic book films ever made.
½ March 23, 2017
Wow! It only took them 3 films to get it right.
March 23, 2017
"Nature made me a freak, man made me a weapon, and God made it last too long."

In a time when Marvel continues to churn out the same superhero film time-and-time again ('Deadpool' and 'Guardians' aside due to their fresh take on the genre), it's refreshing when something as intricate and beautifully-executed as 'Logan' is made, and on the extremely rare occasion I have given a superhero film a "masterpiece" rating. I mean let's face it, that first trailer was a dead giveaway of how damn good it was going to be.

I understand that Marvel has made the attempt to build characters through a series of films previously, such as they have tried with the Avengers films, but never have I seen a film that treats character development as seriously, and pulls it off with such precision, as they did here in 'Logan', a film that focuses more on the "humane" aspect of the character and how vulnerable he is as a superhero, instead of the over-the-top execution that's usually featured ('X- Men Origins' I'm looking at you).

Two characters that we've come to know and love, James "Wolverine" Howlett (aka Logan) and Charles "Professor X" Xavier, are put to the test of time as we see them in their new state, once characters that resembled strength and power, are now withering and vulnerable. And the gut-punching, adrenaline-pumping action has been swapped out for slow-moving, emotional drama and character development. Does it work? You bet! From start to finish we are led on a journey of discovery and empathy, with James Mangold more than making up for his previous effort that is 'The Wolverine'.

I think it's the uncertainty throughout that gives the film that powerful punch. In the other X-Men films (and most other Marvel films for that), we are faced with a plethora of superheroes each fighting a seemingly impossible army, but no matter what, there is always a general feeling that the good guys will win, and this usually happens. So when attending a superhero film, you sit back in ease, knowing the protagonists will succeed, however in 'Logan' that never happens, there is never that sense of safety, we can't be certain of their outcomes. Every step of the way, Wolverine looks tired, he looks sick, he's dying gradually, and due to his weakened form, we are left worrying for the character, there is that emotional attachment that most other superhero films lack. This is the harrowing truth throughout, we are emotionally-concerned from start to finish.

With utterly stunning cinematography, a hard-hitting score, fantastic direction and a superhero performance that might just be the first Oscar-deserving one ever. Wolverine's outing makes for the best Marvel film to date, a gritty and emotional adventure into the vulnerability of superheroes.
March 23, 2017
If this movie does not get any nominations my trust in humanity is done.
½ March 23, 2017
I don't want to do this but I was very sad how they ended such a beloved and ageless franchise on such a depressing and bleak note with insufficient explanations and plotholes.
½ March 23, 2017
Quite the send-off for the Legend. Must watch. ?????
½ March 23, 2017
One of the better X men films in a while, top 4 easily. Good story, stretches on at parts, but pretty great.
March 23, 2017
I was not ready for Logan...go see this
March 23, 2017
Marvel's way darker, wildly more brutal Dark Knight. A mind-blowing film and brilliant end to the longest running iteration of a film comic book hero.
½ March 23, 2017
Logan is a deadly trip.The saga is more concerned with character development than the spectacle. It's more intimate than the traditional superhero picture too. Director James Mangold strips the production of unnecessary growth. Occasionally it pauses to reflect on age and one's own mortality. That's such a rarity it has caused some critics to elevate this to the status of greatest superhero film ever made. This road movie does attempt to give the audience something more than the average X-Men beginners.
March 23, 2017
As a superhero movie, Logan is much more story driven than your typical superhero movies. The pace is a bit slow, sometimes a bit too slow, then it increases exponentially towards the end like they are running of duration. If only they added a bit more duration for the movie to provide a smoother transition to climax or made the other three-fourth of the story a little bit faster. However, despite my shallow criticism, the movie is definitely one of the best superhero movies out there. Wolverine is acting pretty well as Hugh Jackman. Dafne Keen, despite of her lacking in dialogues, showed a promising future as an actress. This is such a sad good-bye. But it has to happen. I hope they don't ruin this by suddenly making a sequel for another Wolverine movie. The ending is great as it is!
½ March 23, 2017
this played out more as a action drama and it worked wonderfully. very interesting to see the dark side in a "xmen" movie.
March 23, 2017
Best Marvel movie to date!
March 23, 2017
I just can say enough good things about this movie. Wow. Great!!!!
March 23, 2017
Dark, gritty and emotion filled. However pacing issues and rare lazy screen writing hold back an otherwise near-perfect film.
March 23, 2017
Being a "comic movie" fan, this was a very refreshing change from previous failed Wolverine movies. Although Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart gave excellent acting roles, the star of the movie was Dafne Keen. This young lady portrayed her character through most of the movie without saying a word. Her first movie and she is a hit. When her ferocity came out in her character, she was more in character than Hugh Jackman in his younger portrayals as an X-Man. I also applaud the director (Mangold) and co-writers (Frank and Green) for putting together an excellent plot and script. To be more competitive with Disney, Fox studios should use the grittiness and emotion of this movie as a model for developing other superhero movies, although they were successful with Deadpool. This is not your typical superhero movie. Considerable heart placed in this movie without a steady stream of action. Very hard to write this review without giving parts of the plot. Must see movie! Bravo! Bravo!
March 23, 2017
Phenomenal, probably the best Marvel movie yet, so dark, so focused, so human. Amazing acting all around, it totally sucks you into the World of logan, the flawed, rage-filled pessimistic World. An absolute must watch.
March 23, 2017
awesome...but maybe just a little over the top on violence
½ March 23, 2017
Great Movie! Loved the new twist on Humor. The ending was really horrifying and saddens me, the passing of one of the most awesome Heroes in comic-book history. Can't wait to see what they have in mind for future X-men movies.