Logan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Logan Reviews

½ August 21, 2017
Wasn't nearly as exciting as the hype made it seem, well made film nonetheless...
August 20, 2017
The Wolverine movie we all wanted to see. A love letter to both the old school westerns and the Wolverine comics. Truly a perfect exit for Hugh Jackman.
August 19, 2017
Wolverine with nothing held back; I know, but it is actually better than it sounds.
August 18, 2017
Absolutely amazing. Oscar worthy.
August 18, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, didn t I watch this movie in the 70 s when it was Logan s Run?

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, you re confused. This Logan is based on that witty 1960s TV series, Logan s Heroes. That s my story and I m sticking to it. Let s recap.

GREG: We re reunited with Logan, aka Wolverine. It s 2029 and he s been reduced to driving a limousine for fares. The mutant race (and the X-Men) are all but extinct. He is taking what little money he has and is buying prescription drugs from an orderly in the parking lot of a hospital. He takes the pills to an abandoned factory where Caliban, an albino mutant tracker is tending house. The pills are for Dr. Xavier. He s suffering from dementia. When an episode hits, it sends out mental shockwaves that paralyzes anyone nearby - to the point of being deadly.

SCOTT: One day Logan is approached by a woman named Gabriela (Elizabeth Rodriguez), a nurse who is caring for a special set of children. She has one of those kids with her, an 11-year-old named Laura (Dafne Keen). Gabriela asks Logan to take Laura to a place in North Dakota named Eden, where Laura will be safe. Logan refuses this request, but soon changes his mind when Gabriela is killed by Donald Pierce (Boyd Holbrook) and his men who harbor ill-intentions for mutants like Laura.

GREG: Scott, Logan is a film for adults more than children. So much so that it is rated R by the MPAA. It is darker than most Marvel films as it features more blood and adult language than its predecessors. And I think it makes the film better. Logan deals with existential issues like death, aging, and suicide. These are heavy topics for an audience that is often made up of both children and adults. And while the film got an adult rating, there were many children in the theater that I was in. There is an alternative Logan in this film as well. Dubbed as X-24 - this is a younger clone of Logan. But unlike Logan, X-24 is filled with blind fury and does the bidding of the evil Dr. Zander Rice. The special effects here are stunning. We saw this last year in Captain America: Civil War where we see a young Tony Stark. The young Logan is a digital creation based on earlier images of Logan from previous films. It s an amazing recreation.

SCOTT: Logan is indeed an impressive movie, not just in its CGI effects but most notably in the areas of storytelling, acting, and character development. It s an X-Men tale surprisingly rich in exploring the nature of these characters, their history, and their ever-evolving relationships. This is Hugh Jackman s most complex and effective portrayal of Wolverine. He delivers his best performance as an X-Man, playing a mutant on a mission who assists another younger mutant on a mission. Going into the theater, I wasn t expecting a whole lot, having been less than dazzled by previous installments of X-Men and Wolverine. But Logan moved me. A big reason is young actor Dafne Keene, whose face can express a thousand emotions and whose overall performance here is astonishingly good. Another shout-out goes to Patrick Stewart whose character is dying yet remains fully committed to educating his students and developing their characters to the very end.

GREG: As a hero, Logan is great. He is at the lowest point in his life. All his friends are dead and his mentor is dying. He s given a call to adventure by Gabriella to take Laura to Eden. And as classic heroes do, he refuses the call. He doesn t want to get involved. But when Gabriella is killed and Laura follows Logan back to his lair, he becomes an unwilling guardian of the girl. And we see him come to care about the girl and her friends. Ultimately, he makes the ultimate sacrifice. And we see a type of hero that we rarely see in movies anymore - the martyr. We saw this in 2013 s Elysium where Matt Damon s character gives his life to save a young girl. There s a danger in creating a martyr - the viewer is walking in the hero s shoes. And when the hero dies, so does the viewer. So, when the hero dies it must be for a cause that is greater than himself. And Logan makes that sacrifice. He is the last of the X-Men and he trades his life for a new generation of mutants. It s a worthy sacrifice and one that the viewer can buy into.

SCOTT: Well said, Greg. Also, let s not forget that Logan is dying from Adamantium poisoning. Yet he makes sacrifice after sacrifice. This movie really taps into the archetype of the aging, diminishing hero who is called to muster up his former powers in service of a great cause. It was jolting to see the CGI effect of a younger, stronger Logan battling his aging counterpart. I continue to be impressed by Marvel s ability to create new compelling variations of the ancient conflict between good and evil. Let s examine the transformations in this film. Logan is physically transformed by the Adamantium, and Professor Xavier is mentally transformed by his dementia. Emotionally, Logan transforms from pure bitterness about his plight to developing a caring compassion for the fate of Professor Xavier and the young mutants, especially Laura. And Laura herself transforms from an angry mute young girl to a vocal, passionate hero of the mutant cause. With this movie, Marvel really showcases its understanding of the elements that go into effective hero storytelling.

GREG: Absolutely. Transformation is at the heart of storytelling. Marvel writers understand this and give us stories about people, relationships, and how they change. It s a stark difference from what we see coming out of the DC universe. There, the stories are about special effects and the story falls to the wayside. Marvel gives us both action and transformation. It s a gratifying experience. Logan is a great story told well. We ve come to expect a lot from Marvel films and they deliver. I give Logan 4 out of 5 Reels. As a hero, Logan steps up to the challenge and shows us how a hero can give his all. I give Logan 4 out of 5 Heroes. And you can t get much better than 3 transformations in one story. As you point out, Logan, Professor Xavier, and Laura all undergo transformations that resonate with the audience. I give them 5 Transformation points out of 5. Movie: Transformation: Heroes:

SCOTT: Logan is the most compelling installment of the X-Men franchise in many years. The keys to its success lie in a terrific screenplay, a stronger than usual performance from Hugh Jackman, a striking performance from newcomer Dafne Keen, and several powerful transformations among the main characters. The genius of Marvel in understanding heroic storytelling is on full display here. I award this film 4 Reels out of 5. We have a pair of buddy heroes here in Logan and Laura. They are an unlikely pairing and start out disliking and distrusting each other. With mentoring from Professor Xavier, Logan develops an understanding and appreciation for Laura and her cause. Logan s hero s journey contains all the classic elements, including a surprise element of the ultimate sacrifice of his own life at the end. Marvel knows that martyrdom is an archetype of deep significance in our culture (Jesus, MLK Jr, and Gandhi are notable examples). Laura s journey is also powerfully inspiring. These two heroes earn the full 5 Hero points out of 5. Our two heroes transformative journeys are emotionally and physically complex, and satisfying. Logan s emotional growth helps compensate for his physical deterioration. Laura gains courage and develops into a leader of the young mutants. Even Professor Xavier shows heroic courage and grit in fighting his disease and mentoring our heroes. I award this film 4 Transformation points out of 5. Movie: Transformation: Heroes:
August 18, 2017
this is the best marvel movie since the the first x man movie
August 17, 2017
Wolverines and insane action.
sorry i didn't see this at the theatre
August 17, 2017
The film drags on for far too long with an unlikely possibility and a failed plot that doesn't work because His clone is not as interesting as the adult in the comics. She spends far too long with a pouty face and he spends too long complaining. This was just an attempt of a more adult Logan. Now as a film on it's on and not connected to any other film or comic it's good, but that's not the case.
August 17, 2017
Long on filler short on action. Not the best, not the worst .....meh.
August 17, 2017
One of the best superhero films of all time. Watch it, that is all.
August 16, 2017
Best movie you will ever see. Great story and an action packed thriller for the ages. This is now my favourite movie and I definitely suggest watching this what a way for wolverine to go.
½ August 15, 2017
Reasons I am a very jaded human being about this movie....

1) Nothing kills Wolverine. EOD.
2) You REAAAAALLLLLYYYY think the smartest man on the planet would not see through having his tap water & food tested for pathogens and DNA altering bio-weapons? This whole movie bored the fudge out of me, it was so obvious what the cause was.
3) I read the comics, I love the comics. All the movies basically suck in comparison considering they never just show the X-Men at their most bad-ass fighting with the MAIN TEAM at their prime! Being baddddd asssss.
4) Did I mention; Nothing kills Wolverine?

While I really enjoy the idea of the government experimenting with trace Logan DNA. Making him a vile little test-tube whippersnapper mutant daughter that he has to come to love and is annoying as hell to him. Yea, that is funny as hell.

If the movie had just been a Dead-Pool styled comedy between those two characters and being immortal assholes together causing each other eternal annoyance..... Roll cut scene with a gag of the girl trying to kill Wolverine for laughs; would have been perfect. Would have been 5 stars.

Instead, you have this turd of a never going to be canon in my opinion film, in an alternative universe that I don't care about at all.

Please God/Hollywood/Bollywood.... Give us originality, or give us fans what we really want to see!

X-Men in their prime being amazing like the comics. <3
August 15, 2017
Definitely not your typical superhero movie. Marvel has finally given us a film that can allow us to see the full brutality of one of its most memorable heroes. Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart give riveting performances that can get you pumped up or cry. This is one of my top favorite movies because it is not everyday a superhero film can take you on an emotional and dramatic like Logan does. It might have some flaws, but so does every film. This is the best movie in the X-men universe.
August 15, 2017
I love Logan, not for just it being a final stand for jackman's character, but for it taking a movie genre and doing everything you can creatively and inventive
August 15, 2017
This is by far my favorite X-Men/Wolverine/Marvel movie. The story, the acting, the graphics, and the fight choreography is fantastic! Me and a friend discussed how, when you get an R rated movie right... you get get it right. This movie is a shining example of that! Everything in this movie is amazing. If you've seen before you owe it yourself to go and see again.
August 14, 2017
Gritty, dark, bloody. This is what the X-Men movies are all about.
August 14, 2017
Would have preferred a different adaptation of the "Old man Logan" comic-book, but this was OK. We'll miss Jackman
August 14, 2017
Violence was a little more than expected, but a good movie overall.
August 14, 2017
The best and saddest story of Logan
½ August 14, 2017
Fuck! I'm dying...oh fuck. No I'M DYING! Fuck! I'm dying! (Boob shot) Fuck. I'm dying.