Lords of Dogtown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lords of Dogtown Reviews

August 30, 2016
After hearing that really corny line, "this is our time bros", I thought, ohhhh, it's this bad, ain't it!? I can't talk about this anymore, or I'm going to flip out!
½ May 2, 2016
Weaker performances and editing, but the stronger aspects such as Heath Ledger help elevate this film to an interesting look at skateboarding in the 70s.
April 4, 2016
Its got some great shots but the pace is off and the story telling and performances are laughable. The point where the story turns sour happens so suddenly that by the time I'm in the third act i just don't give a shit. The ending is really dissapointing.
October 1, 2015
As a surfer and a skater, this movie really paints the picture of many aspects of our own lives, and has amazing symbolism. Most people who watch this movie (who aren't real surf-lovers or skaters) won't understand completely how it is for a sport to be at the face of commercialism. The movie illustrates how commercialism spreads people apart, and how it ruins the aspects of surfing and skating that make it fun. Surfing and skating are very simple sports, and the simplicity of it is what makes the beauty and genuine fun of it possible. Lords of Dogtown is a movie that explains (like all things) that skating and surfing are stripped of the simple, genuine loving fun when they are taken to extreme commercialism. Bonds and friendships (similar to Alva's manager) are not genuinely formed in the pursuit of money. The bonds that you form in any sport really, go deeper and should be foremost in the pursuit of money. This is being seen in the snowboarding world mainly right now, and it's honestly disheartening to watch it get so competitive on the flips and spins, as the simple parts of the sport are forgotten. Which is why the last scene is so beautifully laid out. It reunites the bonds made in the roots, that go deeper than the business and money aspect of life.
½ August 11, 2015
A bit of a letdown after seeing the doc but not without it's very modest charm.
July 2, 2015
Lords of Dogtown recounts the coming-of-age story of some of competitive Skateboarding's pioneers. While it's colorfully lit by it's cinematography, well acted (especially Heath Ledger) and boasting entertaining skate sequences, I ultimately felt underwhelmed by how the story was executed since at times I felt like I was only watching people skate while gaining little from their characters, and some story arcs felt rushed and underdeveloped. Nonetheless, even if you can't directly relate to the characters, they have depth nonetheless and the smooth pacing in Lords of Dogtown makes for an entertaining watch.
June 9, 2015
LORDS OF DOGTOWN is like two movies in one. Sadly, one is by the book Hollywood melodrama of rise and fall. You've seen it a million times in mediocre music, film and theater tales. BUT, the second film is a gritty lovely celebration of skateboarding anchored by pretty amazing performances by Emile Hirsch and John Robinson who you just want to wrap your arms around and kiss. Finally caught up with this uneven work that may just haunt me in the future.
½ May 3, 2015
Lords of Dogtown just feels off. I could not get into this movie at all, despite really trying to focus on it. The whole thing feels like an extended skate video, which would be awesome if it featured real skaters, but this is a movie with actors, and that just doesn't make me want to waste 90 minutes of my time.
½ March 30, 2015
Cool movie showing the beginning of skateboarding and how the circumstances of different high school friends set them down very different paths.
February 26, 2015
Emile Hirsh and Victor Rasuk really stand out, awesome film
½ February 16, 2015
One of the better skateboarding movies that I've seen, but still lacks the amazing awe factor and is kind of a true story that never really gets better, it has its moments, but it isn't anything worth bragging about.
January 11, 2015
Ahora si la vi completa, entretenida
December 21, 2014
I think the critics blew it on this one, I enjoyed the movie and found it engaging. It's not a documentary, it's a drama. I thought the casting was great and I'm glad they didn't try to pack it with alot of the details you might find in documentary. It left me wanting to learn more about these guys, so it did it's job in that respect. I wasn't ready to part with the characters.
½ November 5, 2014
loved it but heath was creepy
½ October 25, 2014
None of the characters in Lords of Dogtown are really likable which makes connecting with the film hard to do yet the performances by all involved (especially Hirsche) are so good you are able to look past the delinquent and criminal behaviors of the protagonists and develop a bond with them making Lords of Dogtown a great film about the beginnings of modern day skateboarding.
½ September 25, 2014
The Lords of Dogtown was a great movie not only because of the fantastic true story told, but also because of the great acting by its top billed stars. Heath Ledger, Emile Hirsch and company were outstanding and really brought a lot of emotion and excitement that was needed for the parts. If you don't know the story already, this is a great way to learn about how skateboarding really took off and became the sport it is today. The plot is pretty straight forward and stays fairly true to the real story. There are some ups and down like any movie but overall this iconic skateboarding film sticks out from the rest and really tells a good story that shouldn't be missed.
½ September 24, 2014
Now I miss the days of Tony Hawk video games. A good film, about the essential birth of modern skate boarding.
September 13, 2014
I cant believe I have missed this skateboarding movie! If you loved to skateboard as I did in young age during 70s, 80s and even a bit of the 90s YOU WILL LOVE THIS MOVIE! The true skateboarding story about skateboarding legends as Stacy Peralta, Tony Alva, Jay Adams =).....
September 10, 2014
Impeccable visuals with an untimely sense of gri, "Lords of Dogtown" utilizes its video game-like screenplay to relate to modern audiences and never forgets its source material.
½ July 24, 2014
Engaging story, expert acting (especially Ledger and Hirsch), cool visuals, and a fitting soundtrack trap you in this wonderful little story.