Lost in Yonkers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lost in Yonkers Reviews

March 4, 2016
Nice period tale, which is mostly family strife, but entertaining strife! There's a good emphasis on the set and costume given it's the 1940's.
April 8, 2015
Ruehl is wonderful in this touching,sweet underrated little gem.
March 16, 2015
JUST SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE WITH FANTASTIC PERFORMANCES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........man I have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is such a great movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that brad stoll (.R.I.P.), Irene worth (.R.I.P.), mike damus, Richard dreyfuss, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this comedy/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......I think that this is such a Guilty pleasure movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, it is such a brilliant movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really funny movie 2 watch, I think that Irene worth (.R.I.P.), was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie, as she was so funny throughout this movie....I think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, its got such a brilliant cast throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a really sweet movie 2 watch, it is such a really funny movie 2 watch, it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
½ January 24, 2015
well written & performed period pic set in 1942
September 2, 2013
Funny, and at turns poignantly sad period drama-dy about 2 boys who spend a summer with their tough as nails grandmother and her eccentric children. Mercedes Ruehl's portrayal of the childlike Aunt Bella is a heartbreaker. Her finest performance, imo.
June 9, 2013
AWESOME MOVIE!!! Definitely deserves close to 100% in my book!
January 22, 2013
I've seen this movie so many times growing up that I can recite it from memory. I've seen the play 3 times and this movie is still the BEST interpretation by far!
½ June 14, 2012
This movie has plenty of moxie. Great fun film
May 19, 2012
descent neil simon play adaption
April 13, 2012
I loved this...northeastern accents, the whole bit...hilarious!
March 17, 2012
Lost in Yonkers is a terrific exemple of a dramatic Neil Simon.
September 16, 2011
Two young boys spend a coming-of-age season in the home of their paternal grandma; that's what Neil Simon's story pretends to be about, but only blink and beneath that is a reworking of nothing less than "Now Voyager" and its redemptive telling of a child blossoming from under the restrictive wings of an unloving parent. Pretty engaging stuff, with Mercedes Ruehl doing a phenomenal job in Bette Davis' sizeable shadow.
½ July 28, 2010
Another fantastic movie from Neil Simon. Brilliantly written and acted. I was surprised just how funny it was
June 29, 2010
I am a Neil Simon fan. I greatly enjoyed watching this movie. It is a nice blend of comedy and drama. I can relate to some of the underlying family drama ... deeply moved by Aunt Bella ...
December 24, 2009
Mercedes Ruehl...yow!
½ October 9, 2009
*** (out of four)

It is the summer of 1942 as we follow the offbeat family in Yonkers as they struggle with love and money. Irene Worth is especially wonderful in this film based on Niel Simon's Pulitzer Prize winning play.
September 13, 2009
This film is one of my guilty pleasures. I love it but I'm not sure I want the rest of the world to know that. I've seen this picture several times and I never tire of the performances. Dreyfuss is exceptional, Mercedes Ruehl is WONDERFUL, but its the younger actors, Brad Stoll and Mike Damus, that steal the show. It might not be great cinema but it sure is fun to watch.
August 13, 2009
This is a relatively unkown movie but has been a favorite of mine for years. The acting by the woman who plays Bella and the grandmother are incredible and its a great plot. If you are looking for a quality movie this one has lots of humor mixed in with a good deal of drama, especially the confrontation scene where Bella asks her family permission to get married. Great movie, give it a shot and I bet you will enjoy it.
April 23, 2009
Neil Simon's Pulitzer Prize-winning coming of age story is adapted into an entertaining dramedy by director Martha Coolidge. Strong characters fleshed out by excellent (if overly theatrical) performances, and clever writing provides some solid laughs - though it does get pretty heavy-handed in some of its more dramatic moments. Good score by Elmer Bernstein.
½ February 15, 2009
Richard Dreyfuss stars as Louie who has some good comedic moments, Mercedes Ruehl is Bella who brings a great childlike innocence mixed with adult tendencies to the role, and Irene Worth plays Grandma Kurnitz who doesn't seem to want anyone else around, other than to boss them around. David Strathairn plays the goofy Johnny, a man who works at the local movie theatre and won the heart of Bella.