Love Actually - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love Actually Reviews

January 11, 2018
I hate to do this to Liam and Emma, but this movie is utterly ridiculous. How this is considered a romance is beyond me. An adorable actress, thin by today's hefty population, is considered a "fat ass." A man in love with his best friend's wife professing his love with signs while the friend is cluelessly watching television? Not romantic. A co-dependent woman approaching middle age choosing a violent, institutionalized brother's 24/7 demands over a man she's supposedly been in love with for years? That's just a few of the stories in this tangled mess of a film. I thought for years British sense of humor was way off because of this movie.
January 7, 2018
This movie advertises itself as "The Ultimate Romantic Comedy," and...yeah that's probably fair, for better and for worse. It crams in enough storylines, characters, and cliches to cover at least 10 different movies on their own, juggling around multiple plots that sometimes have connections to each other and other times have only the connection of one person saying hi to another one. By all accounts, I should probably hate this movie. It has so many things I hate in movies, especially romantic comedies. Cliched, overstuffed, almost aggressively sappy, creepy romantic gestures, and happy endings that fall apart when you think about the actual repercussions. However, despite all odds, it ended up charming me. I would see the cheesy/creepy/stupid thing happen, and logically I would hate it, but it would be done in such a way that I didn't mind. Maybe it's the directing, maybe it's the writing, maybe it's the immensely likable cast, I don't know but for whatever reason it worked for me in a way where most other comedies would fail. I can't call it perfect, because the flaws are still there, but it's goddamn impressive that they don't really end up mattering. It's just too damn sweet and charming, I liked it.
January 5, 2018
Delightful romantic comedy that is excellent for the most part but suffers from too many characters & subplots. The cast is uniformly excellent, the highlights being Hugh Grant as a befuddled new Prime Minister & Emma Thompson as a wife who discovers her husband is having an affair (her breakdown scene is one of the highlights of her distinguished career). The scene stealer, though, is Bill Nighy as an aging rocker dealing with having produced a cheesy Christmas song & deciding not to hide how he feels about it. Behind the camera, writer/director Richard Curtis crafts a fun 'romantic comedy epic', intertwining the various stories in natural ways while exploring everything from first crushes to adultery. Unfortunately, he has too many characters & plots that drags the film down a bit. Two in particular, one involving a Brit traveling to the United States to hook up with American girls, while another involving body doubles for a sex scene in a film, could have easily been cut. Plus, the material should have been toned down to PG-13, considering a main story is a young boy declaring his love to his first crush. Overall, still a fun, romantic movie and a great addition to the holiday film rotation.
½ January 2, 2018
A christmas classic. Feel good film with quite a few laughs and a superb cast.
½ January 1, 2018
This movie is boring and has way too much shit going on.
December 28, 2017
Humorously Well Played, Love Actually Benefies From Its Charming Cast, Both Human and Cartoonish Characters Development and Cheesy Dialogue
December 27, 2017
Fun film to watch with different stories.
½ December 26, 2017
It was extremely long, with wildly unrelated stories. You have to put up with the whole movie until they eventually come together somehow. It was just bad and uncomfortably long with too many sex scenes. And the acting was pretty corny most of the time.
December 25, 2017
Love Actually' isn't all that great, actually. Really cheesy and very predicable of how certain scenes are gonna turn play out. However, I guess that's the charm of it all, because I would consider this one of my guilty pleasures.

The film really captures the spirit of Christmas and Bill Nighy was fun to watch. Nighy has the best story in the movie, in my opinion. Andrew Lincoln, on the other hand, is creepy as hell in this movie. Even Lincoln himself admitted it.

Putting aside the creepiness, it's still the most Christmas of all Christmas movies you'll find.
December 25, 2017
I watch this every Christmas, and love it more every year. Obviously from reviews, not for just anyone or everyone. It has a somewhat different approach to romantic comedy. Granted, it's not Shakespeare, but I find it highly entertaining. For the tender of heart, I recommend it.
December 24, 2017
It's been nearly a decade and half since this film came out and for the life of me I still can't understand what people see in it.
December 23, 2017
5 5 6 7 6 7 6 7 7 6 = 62
December 18, 2017
Number One: My all time favorite holiday movie! It's been out for 14 years, this year will be my 14th viewing. Great cast! Great soundtrack! Great storytelling. The ultimate feel good movie. If the last scene doesn't tug at your heart, put a tear in your eye and a smile all over your body, then you need a shot of the Christmas fuzzies. Forget Five Stars, I give "Love Actually," 12 Stars, one for each of the movie's main characters.
December 11, 2017
A lovely story. Cliched? Yes but so what. Warms the cockles of your 'eart.
November 27, 2017
Great movie. A modern classic. Well acted, and written. .
½ November 26, 2017
My movie review verdict in Ten words: On first viewing pissing myself, subsequent viewings still pissing...Actuallyfunny
November 25, 2017
The best Christmas flick
November 22, 2017
best love stories ever=) Seen it a million times and will see a couple of million times more.. Only the greatest. This actually, is my favorite movie of all times.
½ September 28, 2017
Just good enough to not be a completely jumbled mess.