Love Actually - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love Actually Reviews

April 16, 2018
Love Actually, directed by Richard Curtis, was released in 2003 and grossed over $247 million worldwide. The film is unique in its depiction of not one, but nine love stories, all of which are intertwined. Each story concentrates on a challenge that serves as an obstacle in characters forming or maintaining a relationship. With a cast that includes some of the UK's most loved actors, including Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant and Keira Knightly, Love Actually, shows its audiences how love is indefinable and boundless.

Some may argue over which storyline is the most charming, yet I believe that it is culmination of all nine, and the connections between them, that is the most enticing aspect of the film. Love Actually could be compared to other romantic comedies such as Valentine's Day, in which the audience follows nine love stories on Valentine's Day. However, Valentine's Day is in no way comparable to Love Actually in regard to plot, characters, and overall aesthetic. Love Actually is known in part for being a heart-warming holiday romantic comedy, in part for some of its specific scenes. Most notably, the notecard scene, when Andrew Lincoln's character proclaims his love for his best friend's wife, played by Keira Knightly. What may initially seem like an average romantic comedy will quickly prove you wrong in how passionate each and every character is, in addition to the multitude of comedic relief.

Love Actually is unlike any other romantic comedy in how it portrays the many faces of love, ranging from parent and child to brother and sister to boss and his secretary and to Prime Minister and his assistant. Love Actually effortlessly binds these nine stories together without neglecting a single one, all the while developing and complicating each situation. I would label Love Actually as, quite possibly, the best romantic comedy of all time, and furthermore, my favorite film of all time. This film is essential in the world of film and romantic comedies in particular. If you are looking for a film to sweep you off your feet and remind you that love is all around you, look no further.
March 31, 2018
Definitely my favorite Christmas movie.
March 22, 2018
quite overcooked with characters but the message is simple and funny at times. The ensemble cast are very good with Hugh Grant stealing the show as per normal. The biggest issue with the film is the over the top finale of having people getting together, crowds cheering and all that cliché riddled romantic comedy pitfalls. The film lacks depth to be anything more than a time passer, which is a shame considering the cast. The film is overstuffed with everything and it robs the film of having meaningful characters. 15-03-2018.
January 11, 2018
I hate to do this to Liam and Emma, but this movie is utterly ridiculous. How this is considered a romance is beyond me. An adorable actress, thin by today's hefty population, is considered a "fat ass." A man in love with his best friend's wife professing his love with signs while the friend is cluelessly watching television? Not romantic. A co-dependent woman approaching middle age choosing a violent, institutionalized brother's 24/7 demands over a man she's supposedly been in love with for years? That's just a few of the stories in this tangled mess of a film. I thought for years British sense of humor was way off because of this movie.
January 7, 2018
This movie advertises itself as "The Ultimate Romantic Comedy," and...yeah that's probably fair, for better and for worse. It crams in enough storylines, characters, and cliches to cover at least 10 different movies on their own, juggling around multiple plots that sometimes have connections to each other and other times have only the connection of one person saying hi to another one. By all accounts, I should probably hate this movie. It has so many things I hate in movies, especially romantic comedies. Cliched, overstuffed, almost aggressively sappy, creepy romantic gestures, and happy endings that fall apart when you think about the actual repercussions. However, despite all odds, it ended up charming me. I would see the cheesy/creepy/stupid thing happen, and logically I would hate it, but it would be done in such a way that I didn't mind. Maybe it's the directing, maybe it's the writing, maybe it's the immensely likable cast, I don't know but for whatever reason it worked for me in a way where most other comedies would fail. I can't call it perfect, because the flaws are still there, but it's goddamn impressive that they don't really end up mattering. It's just too damn sweet and charming, I liked it.
January 5, 2018
Delightful romantic comedy that is excellent for the most part but suffers from too many characters & subplots. The cast is uniformly excellent, the highlights being Hugh Grant as a befuddled new Prime Minister & Emma Thompson as a wife who discovers her husband is having an affair (her breakdown scene is one of the highlights of her distinguished career). The scene stealer, though, is Bill Nighy as an aging rocker dealing with having produced a cheesy Christmas song & deciding not to hide how he feels about it. Behind the camera, writer/director Richard Curtis crafts a fun 'romantic comedy epic', intertwining the various stories in natural ways while exploring everything from first crushes to adultery. Unfortunately, he has too many characters & plots that drags the film down a bit. Two in particular, one involving a Brit traveling to the United States to hook up with American girls, while another involving body doubles for a sex scene in a film, could have easily been cut. Plus, the material should have been toned down to PG-13, considering a main story is a young boy declaring his love to his first crush. Overall, still a fun, romantic movie and a great addition to the holiday film rotation.
½ January 2, 2018
A christmas classic. Feel good film with quite a few laughs and a superb cast.
½ January 1, 2018
This movie is boring and has way too much shit going on.
December 28, 2017
Humorously Well Played, Love Actually Benefies From Its Charming Cast, Both Human and Cartoonish Characters Development and Cheesy Dialogue
December 27, 2017
Fun film to watch with different stories.
½ December 26, 2017
It was extremely long, with wildly unrelated stories. You have to put up with the whole movie until they eventually come together somehow. It was just bad and uncomfortably long with too many sex scenes. And the acting was pretty corny most of the time.
December 25, 2017
Love Actually' isn't all that great, actually. Really cheesy and very predicable of how certain scenes are gonna turn play out. However, I guess that's the charm of it all, because I would consider this one of my guilty pleasures.

The film really captures the spirit of Christmas and Bill Nighy was fun to watch. Nighy has the best story in the movie, in my opinion. Andrew Lincoln, on the other hand, is creepy as hell in this movie. Even Lincoln himself admitted it.

Putting aside the creepiness, it's still the most Christmas of all Christmas movies you'll find.
December 25, 2017
I watch this every Christmas, and love it more every year. Obviously from reviews, not for just anyone or everyone. It has a somewhat different approach to romantic comedy. Granted, it's not Shakespeare, but I find it highly entertaining. For the tender of heart, I recommend it.
December 24, 2017
It's been nearly a decade and half since this film came out and for the life of me I still can't understand what people see in it.
December 23, 2017
5 5 6 7 6 7 6 7 7 6 = 62
December 18, 2017
Number One: My all time favorite holiday movie! It's been out for 14 years, this year will be my 14th viewing. Great cast! Great soundtrack! Great storytelling. The ultimate feel good movie. If the last scene doesn't tug at your heart, put a tear in your eye and a smile all over your body, then you need a shot of the Christmas fuzzies. Forget Five Stars, I give "Love Actually," 12 Stars, one for each of the movie's main characters.
December 11, 2017
A lovely story. Cliched? Yes but so what. Warms the cockles of your 'eart.
November 27, 2017
Great movie. A modern classic. Well acted, and written. .
½ November 26, 2017
My movie review verdict in Ten words: On first viewing pissing myself, subsequent viewings still pissing...Actuallyfunny