Machine Gun Preacher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Machine Gun Preacher Reviews

½ April 3, 2018
Lower your expectations and prepare to be dissapointed.
An emotionally powerful true story is turned into a flat and sombre movie by Marc Forster, who had perviously achieved the similar frustrating experinece with The Kite Runner.
This film needs gritty action, well defined characterizations and moments of real heartbreaking drama. Sadly the film delivers on none of these expectations.
As with The Kite Runner Forster ekes out subdued performances from his leads.
The usually excellent Michelle Monoghan is lifeless. Gerard Butler has some screen presence but is never truly convincing as the complex main character and we never to get to know what makes him tick and what compelled him to make such radical changes in his persona and perform such heroic actions.
The action sequences are confusing and lack tension.
The moments of anguish and heartache are filmed with detatchment so we never get to feel what the characters are going through.
This amazing story deserved to be made into a great film. Instead Forster delivers a sloppy and sterile disappointment.
½ April 3, 2018
Lower your expectations and prepare to be dissapointed.
As with The Kite Runner Forster ekes out subdued performances from his leads.
The action sequences are confusing and lack tension.
This amazing story deserved to be made into a great film. Instead Forster delivers a sloppy and sterile dissapointment.
February 26, 2018
Very emotional and spiritual story about a man who changes the road he is on and follows his dream. I just watched this on Netflix absolutely loved it. I disagree with what you (rotten tomatoes) on what u said as emotionaly vacent. Very very emotional story. i absolutely loved it
½ September 27, 2017
bland action mediocre acting
½ July 7, 2017
Sadly I watched this to view the Inaccurate depiction in part due to the Lord's army origin is Uganda, Congo and the language used is not Arabic in South Sudan or by those responsible for the LRA in the region. LRA is not motivated by any identifiable political agenda, and its military strategy and tactics reflect this" It appears to largely function as a personality cult of its leader Joseph Kony, a self-declared prophet whose leadership has earned him the nickname "Africa's David Koresh". A Christian cult not related in any way to Islam. Tired cliche of white savior film.
½ May 27, 2017
I don't know much about the politics involved but what I do know is that this film is extremely repetitive and full of white (american) messianic figure clichés.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
November 26, 2016
There's a good movie in here but it isn't fully realized.
October 21, 2016
I did enjoy this movie. It's an inspiring story ... p
lus Michelle Monaghan is always great!
August 11, 2016
"Machine Gun Preacher " is one of those films that the acting is very good and the story slows them down for a while. Gerald Butler is back with performances to die for. The movie in a way is very touching, even though is based on true events. Its a film that you either going to like or hate, because simply of the acting. As that being said for this being a good solid film, I give " Machine Gun Preacher " a C.
½ August 6, 2016
Awesome movie!!! sad how these things still occur in today's life
August 5, 2016
Strange Christian propaganda film with a very odd pro-gun message. Not sure why this film was ever made, but it was pretty awful. Michelle Monaghan is hot, but that's about all this movie has to offer.
jamrcla
½ July 30, 2016
A fantastic moving film that packs a hard punch in places, An amazing true story, Gerard Butler puts in his best performance to date, Really got me gripped from start to finish, Don't let the title fool you, Ok there were the odd good shootouts and explosions but it's more drama that is a brilliant watch.
½ July 19, 2016
Machine Gun Preacher is based on a true story about a man who saw refuge to help the helpless children of Sudan. After getting out of prison he has a wakening to build a church for the kids. To this day he has been helping them but he left behind his own family to help those kids. If you can't fix your own family you should go off to fix someone else's problems. It had a great cast but the storyline needed a rewrite. It was ok to watch once.
July 8, 2016
It may not be the best film technically, or in terms of the script, but it does make you think beyond your own safe haven, and focus only on the innocence of children, no matter where in the world they are. So it depends on what matters to you I guess.
June 26, 2016
The movie isn't exceptional, but the story is. I was impressed by the accurate portrayal of LRA violence, and readily identified with Childers' frustration with his American homeland that remains wrapped in apathy and cynicism. The story also works as a wholesome Christian message of the consequences of trusting in your own hand over God's: Childers' unbridled obsession was less about the tragic situation in Sudan and more about what he could do under his own power to stop it.
June 6, 2016
Even without a title like Machine Gun Preacher, the movie is boring.
May 29, 2016
what is wrong with the movie critics today this movie is so moving
½ April 3, 2016
Despite some cheesy scenes, and the surplus of cliches, Machine Gun Preach stays afloat through its well told message, some surprisingly brutal violence, and solid acting mainly through the talents of Micheal Shannon and Gerard Butler. It is a satisfying film has no business being as good as it is, some thought-provoking themes really lift this one out of mediocrity.
March 31, 2016
So the people here give The Hateful Eight and average rating of over 7 out of ten and then this film a fail.....You all must live in Tarantino's neighborhood or either your all 10 years old! The Hateful eight is a joke....like this website.