Mother (Madeo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mother (Madeo) Reviews

½ May 22, 2017
Bong Joon-ho delivers again, with a film that is equal parts strange and unpredictable. Wonderful cinematography and an even better performance by the lead.
April 12, 2017
3.8/5

Mother is one marvelous murder mystery with all the class and depth,as well as the misteps in pace and narrative, that one could expect from a korean film that sports the Bong Joon-Ho name.
January 3, 2017
If there's a film about mothers that one need to see, this is it. It's one of the best Korean films I have seen.
½ December 4, 2016
Totally incredible, so stunning visually, with nealy perfect sound. And a story with a the south korean ingredients, weirdness, sex, violence, murder, blood and shitloads of strangeness. The acting is done with class, pouring out their souls in horror. No wonder why South Korea has been the leading movie-scene since we entered 21th century.
November 12, 2016
Absolutely stellar. Mother is suspenseful, gripping and Kim Hye-ja is one of the best actresses I've ever seen on screen. Beautifully directed with both an artistry of filmmaking and an economy of scenes, dialogue, props and imagery.

Definitely a must watch
October 11, 2016
This 2010 drama/mystery/thriller is impressive. The slow beginning picks up pace as the movie progresses. Hye-ja Kim as the mother is superb. She stands up to prove her son's innocence. Will the movie end in a way we expect it to? Something for you to find out. A very good movie by Bong Joon-ho (Memories of Murder & The host).
October 9, 2016
quirky and original thrilller
August 20, 2016
It's Korean which means it's good. This is a splendid story shot very nicely about the mother of a simple kid charged with the murder of a local girl. His mother refuses to accept the verdict and, as the police have no interest in looking for alternatives, she starts her own investigation. Great film.
March 19, 2016
Laborious Hitchcock style thriller which wears its studied oddness as a badge of dubious honour.
March 5, 2016
This is a fun watch. Twists and turns, playing with my pre-conceived expectations and ideas of normality. A proper piece of art in the sense that it has (aimed for or not) a deeper meaning(s).
January 10, 2016
Trust koreans to come up with the most unexpected stories.
December 20, 2015
Beautifully shot, "Mother" seems to have a masterful flow of tone. The film is bit slow on pace but overall Mother is a showcase of wonderful directing.
½ November 28, 2015
one of my favorite movies
½ November 16, 2015
Bong combines intense tragedy and dry humor to create a witty, unexpected sense of bizarreness in this ironic narrative that surprises us with its clever plot twists, elegant cinematography and an absolutely magnificent performance by Kim Hye-ja.
½ October 25, 2015
I didn't expect comic but it turns out good.
Kim Hye-Ja is just wonderful being the titled character.
October 22, 2015
Mother is the story of a boy who is accused of murder and his mother's struggle to set him free. This was a really powerful story that had me on the edge of my seat from the beginning. It has some extremely intense moments and Bong Joon-Ho is an expert at using the music, lighting, and shot selection to add to the tension. What captivated me in this film was the way it blended different styles of story-telling. At times it was a family drama, then it was a murder mystery, and by the end I was so mixed up and confused that I never suspected the ending. I also loved how they never made it clear how much the son knew, because we never establish whether he actually has a mental handicap or just feigns one. The story goes through a lot of twists and turns, and that is to its benefit. I particularly loved the performance of Bin Won as the son, because he seems so oblivious and yet sympathetic at the same time. There were moments when the film got a little slow, and I worried that they had lost the point of the story, but usually it would ramp back up shortly after and I was back on board. If you are at all interested, and don't mind subtitles, then I'd highly recommend this thrilling movie.
September 8, 2015
A boy's best friend is his mother.

Mother (Madeo) is about a mentally disabled son is accused of murder, his over protective mother takes on local hoods and a corrupt police department to find the killer.

Who doesn't love Joon-ho Bong films. The Host, Snowpiercer, and Memories of Murder are some of he's best work, and I think him & Park Chan Wook are the favorite Korea directors working today. Joon-ho Bong always makes

I was excited to see the 2009 film 'Mother'.
½ September 5, 2015
75%
Saw this on 5/9/15
Madeo is good, but fails to meet the standards of Snowpiercer and Memories of Murder and sadly it doesn't have Song Kang-Ho . Madeo lacks the investigative nature of Memories of Murder and I feel deceived and irritated that Rotten tomatoes suggested this film instead of the latter in their list of 15 best investigation films. The suspense is subtle, but neither bombastic nor too satisfactory. The acting is fine, but the film treads too much into drama and melodrama.
½ August 23, 2015
Solo por su final esta película merece ser vista.
½ June 20, 2015
fan of this director, this feature also written by him focuses on a mothers persistent pursuit of her sons freedom at any cost. Awkwardly engaging, serenely shot with intrepid camerawork. Most importantly well acted and crafted, with humour and creativity being key in the darkest moments.