Mother (Madeo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mother (Madeo) Reviews

½ September 7, 2017
It made me a sick fucker with no fills cry.
August 28, 2017
South Korea's official submission for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2010 is a tightly orchestrated whodunit murder mystery that is also a gut-wrenching psychological drama delving into the dark depths of a mother's ferocious love for her son.
August 27, 2017
While I liked the second half a lot more than the first, the movie left me speechless with it overall quality in both storytelling and production value. This may be Bong Joon-Ho's finest film, being a lot more ambitious than "The Host" or "Memories of Murder". The only problems I can think of come from personal preference and not the movie itself, so while it may be a little heavy and sometimes not really pleasant to watch, "Madeo" is something absolutely worth experiencing.
½ August 21, 2017
Coming to us from South Korea, "Mother" is an astounding modern noir with some insightful themes.
June 18, 2017
Another great addition in Bong Joon Ho's catalogue, Mother explores the evolution of a story, from a simple-yet-odd premise, until a full grown thriller that captures what we, as audiences, love the best; to be taken by surprise in an intriguing and strongly hooking experience, all of this to explore a mother's obsessive devotion towards her son.
June 4, 2017
how should i categorize it... noir, satirical, funny, thriller - fascinating
½ May 28, 2017
Bong Joon-ho delivers again with a film that is equal parts strange and unpredictable. Wonderful cinematography and an even better performance by the lead.
April 12, 2017
3.8/5

Mother is one marvelous murder mystery with all the class and depth,as well as the misteps in pace and narrative, that one could expect from a korean film that sports the Bong Joon-Ho name.
January 3, 2017
If there's a film about mothers that one need to see, this is it. It's one of the best Korean films I have seen.
½ December 4, 2016
Totally incredible, so stunning visually, with nealy perfect sound. And a story with a the south korean ingredients, weirdness, sex, violence, murder, blood and shitloads of strangeness. The acting is done with class, pouring out their souls in horror. No wonder why South Korea has been the leading movie-scene since we entered 21th century.
November 12, 2016
Absolutely stellar. Mother is suspenseful, gripping and Kim Hye-ja is one of the best actresses I've ever seen on screen. Beautifully directed with both an artistry of filmmaking and an economy of scenes, dialogue, props and imagery.

Definitely a must watch
October 11, 2016
This 2010 drama/mystery/thriller is impressive. The slow beginning picks up pace as the movie progresses. Hye-ja Kim as the mother is superb. She stands up to prove her son's innocence. Will the movie end in a way we expect it to? Something for you to find out. A very good movie by Bong Joon-ho (Memories of Murder & The host).
October 9, 2016
quirky and original thrilller
August 20, 2016
It's Korean which means it's good. This is a splendid story shot very nicely about the mother of a simple kid charged with the murder of a local girl. His mother refuses to accept the verdict and, as the police have no interest in looking for alternatives, she starts her own investigation. Great film.
March 19, 2016
Laborious Hitchcock style thriller which wears its studied oddness as a badge of dubious honour.
March 5, 2016
This is a fun watch. Twists and turns, playing with my pre-conceived expectations and ideas of normality. A proper piece of art in the sense that it has (aimed for or not) a deeper meaning(s).
January 10, 2016
Trust koreans to come up with the most unexpected stories.
December 20, 2015
Beautifully shot, "Mother" seems to have a masterful flow of tone. The film is bit slow on pace but overall Mother is a showcase of wonderful directing.
½ November 28, 2015
one of my favorite movies
½ November 16, 2015
Bong combines intense tragedy and dry humor to create a witty, unexpected sense of bizarreness in this ironic narrative that surprises us with its clever plot twists, elegant cinematography and an absolutely magnificent performance by Kim Hye-ja.