Mother (Madeo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mother (Madeo) Reviews

½ April 9, 2018
Wow, another Korean movie kicks my shit in.

From the very first moment, I got the impression that it's going to be a bit different. The beautiful opening sequence with the mother dancing in a lush field. The movie was already setting a very interesting tone.

Now, after the first half hour or so, I began worrying a bit that it's getting stale and getting way too standard, but then it went ham. Just a complete masterclass in storytelling, in the mother's acting and her son's utterly believably portrayed handicap. Even the guy that plays the son's best friend did an incredible job. The use of music, the way it seamlessly works with what you see on screen, it's worthy of immense respect.

The very particular pace of the story that follows the meticulous investigation of the mother into a local murder is captivating. The story keeps you guessing and surprises in moments when you'd never expect anything like it. This story is much more original than you'd first guess.

The peculiar blend of genres manages to work. There are some outright hilarious moments here, alongside the absolutely tragic and morbid ones. A very offbeat tone to this movie. Worked perfectly for me.

Another high note for me was the amazingly creative usage of flashbacks. Very pleasing and subtle.

The only gripe I can think of is the somewhat slow first act of this movie, which was really not that much of a problem at all. Oh well.

In the end, this movie is a very surprising and peculiar black comedy mixed with drama and a murder mystery. Incredibly well made. Recommended to pretty much everyone.
March 30, 2018
Mother is a compelling mystery film about a woman trying to prove the innocence of her mentally-disabled son who is suspected in the murder of a teenage girl. Mother is a film that is surprisingly dark, but also surprising in its plot twists as it doesn't sanitize itself. It's a gripping film about the nature of being a mother and trying to protect offspring, no matter the cost. It's also tinged with dark humor, making the proceedings all the more unusual and provocative. It's not an easy viewing and don't expect happy endings, but if you're up for a provocative, darkly humorous, and provocative mystery, Mother will certainly be up your alley. I think it's one of the best films of the decade and one of the 100 best films I've ever seen. If you're up for something far out, Mother will certainly fit the bill.
½ January 28, 2018
Thanks to a spectacular lead performance and its thought-provoking story, director Bong Joon-ho managed to lead the audience on a journey full of family drama while successfully providing the brilliant twists and turns that a good mystery film contains.
December 8, 2017
???? ?? ????. ?? ??? ?????.
???? ???. ??? ??.
? ??? ??? ??? ????. ?? ??.
½ November 12, 2017
7.4/10

~November 12, 2017~
½ September 7, 2017
It made me a sick fucker with no fills cry.
August 28, 2017
South Korea's official submission for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2010 is a tightly orchestrated whodunit murder mystery that is also a gut-wrenching psychological drama delving into the dark depths of a mother's ferocious love for her son.
August 27, 2017
While I liked the second half a lot more than the first, the movie left me speechless with it overall quality in both storytelling and production value. This may be Bong Joon-Ho's finest film, being a lot more ambitious than "The Host" or "Memories of Murder". The only problems I can think of come from personal preference and not the movie itself, so while it may be a little heavy and sometimes not really pleasant to watch, "Madeo" is something absolutely worth experiencing.
½ August 21, 2017
Coming to us from South Korea, "Mother" is an astounding modern noir with some insightful themes.
June 18, 2017
Another great addition in Bong Joon Ho's catalogue, Mother explores the evolution of a story, from a simple-yet-odd premise, until a full grown thriller that captures what we, as audiences, love the best; to be taken by surprise in an intriguing and strongly hooking experience, all of this to explore a mother's obsessive devotion towards her son.
June 4, 2017
how should i categorize it... noir, satirical, funny, thriller - fascinating
½ May 28, 2017
Bong Joon-ho delivers again with a film that is equal parts strange and unpredictable. Wonderful cinematography and an even better performance by the lead.
April 12, 2017
3.8/5

Mother is one marvelous murder mystery with all the class and depth,as well as the misteps in pace and narrative, that one could expect from a korean film that sports the Bong Joon-Ho name.
January 3, 2017
If there's a film about mothers that one need to see, this is it. It's one of the best Korean films I have seen.
½ December 4, 2016
Totally incredible, so stunning visually, with nealy perfect sound. And a story with a the south korean ingredients, weirdness, sex, violence, murder, blood and shitloads of strangeness. The acting is done with class, pouring out their souls in horror. No wonder why South Korea has been the leading movie-scene since we entered 21th century.
November 12, 2016
Absolutely stellar. Mother is suspenseful, gripping and Kim Hye-ja is one of the best actresses I've ever seen on screen. Beautifully directed with both an artistry of filmmaking and an economy of scenes, dialogue, props and imagery.

Definitely a must watch
October 11, 2016
This 2010 drama/mystery/thriller is impressive. The slow beginning picks up pace as the movie progresses. Hye-ja Kim as the mother is superb. She stands up to prove her son's innocence. Will the movie end in a way we expect it to? Something for you to find out. A very good movie by Bong Joon-ho (Memories of Murder & The host).
October 9, 2016
quirky and original thrilller
August 20, 2016
It's Korean which means it's good. This is a splendid story shot very nicely about the mother of a simple kid charged with the murder of a local girl. His mother refuses to accept the verdict and, as the police have no interest in looking for alternatives, she starts her own investigation. Great film.
March 19, 2016
Laborious Hitchcock style thriller which wears its studied oddness as a badge of dubious honour.