Mother (Madeo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mother (Madeo) Reviews

August 20, 2016
It's Korean which means it's good. This is a splendid story shot very nicely about the mother of a simple kid charged with the murder of a local girl. His mother refuses to accept the verdict and, as the police have no interest in looking for alternatives, she starts her own investigation. Great film.
March 19, 2016
Laborious Hitchcock style thriller which wears its studied oddness as a badge of dubious honour.
March 5, 2016
This is a fun watch. Twists and turns, playing with my pre-conceived expectations and ideas of normality. A proper piece of art in the sense that it has (aimed for or not) a deeper meaning(s).
January 10, 2016
Trust koreans to come up with the most unexpected stories.
December 20, 2015
Beautifully shot, "Mother" seems to have a masterful flow of tone. The film is bit slow on pace but overall Mother is a showcase of wonderful directing.
½ November 28, 2015
one of my favorite movies
½ November 16, 2015
Bong combines intense tragedy and dry humor to create a witty, unexpected sense of bizarreness in this ironic narrative that surprises us with its clever plot twists, elegant cinematography and an absolutely magnificent performance by Kim Hye-ja.
½ October 25, 2015
I didn't expect comic but it turns out good.
Kim Hye-Ja is just wonderful being the titled character.
October 22, 2015
Mother is the story of a boy who is accused of murder and his mother's struggle to set him free. This was a really powerful story that had me on the edge of my seat from the beginning. It has some extremely intense moments and Bong Joon-Ho is an expert at using the music, lighting, and shot selection to add to the tension. What captivated me in this film was the way it blended different styles of story-telling. At times it was a family drama, then it was a murder mystery, and by the end I was so mixed up and confused that I never suspected the ending. I also loved how they never made it clear how much the son knew, because we never establish whether he actually has a mental handicap or just feigns one. The story goes through a lot of twists and turns, and that is to its benefit. I particularly loved the performance of Bin Won as the son, because he seems so oblivious and yet sympathetic at the same time. There were moments when the film got a little slow, and I worried that they had lost the point of the story, but usually it would ramp back up shortly after and I was back on board. If you are at all interested, and don't mind subtitles, then I'd highly recommend this thrilling movie.
September 8, 2015
A boy's best friend is his mother.

Mother (Madeo) is about a mentally disabled son is accused of murder, his over protective mother takes on local hoods and a corrupt police department to find the killer.

Who doesn't love Joon-ho Bong films. The Host, Snowpiercer, and Memories of Murder are some of he's best work, and I think him & Park Chan Wook are the favorite Korea directors working today. Joon-ho Bong always makes

I was excited to see the 2009 film 'Mother'.
½ September 5, 2015
75%
Saw this on 5/9/15
Madeo is good, but fails to meet the standards of Snowpiercer and Memories of Murder and sadly it doesn't have Song Kang-Ho . Madeo lacks the investigative nature of Memories of Murder and I feel deceived and irritated that Rotten tomatoes suggested this film instead of the latter in their list of 15 best investigation films. The suspense is subtle, but neither bombastic nor too satisfactory. The acting is fine, but the film treads too much into drama and melodrama.
½ August 23, 2015
Solo por su final esta película merece ser vista.
½ June 20, 2015
fan of this director, this feature also written by him focuses on a mothers persistent pursuit of her sons freedom at any cost. Awkwardly engaging, serenely shot with intrepid camerawork. Most importantly well acted and crafted, with humour and creativity being key in the darkest moments.
April 20, 2015
What mother's won't do for their children.. world-wide phenomenon...
March 28, 2015
What a film. What a performance. I needed a movie like that. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
½ February 15, 2015
Fourth film by Bong Joon-ho that I watch and I found again a captivating and well made film, with a story about mother love but with an original style. The film, a police crime drama is supported in the mother´s main character and an end that you couldn't have previewed. Also with some moments of black humor and a final scene that is from anthology.
½ February 1, 2015
One of the most fascinating and layered films I've seen. Period. Bong Joon-Ho is up there as one of my fave directors for how innovatively and efficiently he can balance genres of film and weave them together into near-farcial but also strangely real feeling stories. In this case he tackles the insanity of maternal instinct and the obsessive eerie nature of it all. Amazing performances(especially the central character who pulls of some of the most subtle and emotionally resonating human performances I've seen for a while), solid cinematography, and with a weird, eerie, but somehow totally fitting satire of police/media woven in, this cements the dude, as one of the most complex minded directors out there. This or Memories of Murder is my fave film of his. I loved it.
January 17, 2015
Changeling meets Bong Joon-Ho's mind. Master of direction, help with afantastic cast, he delivers the thrill and a somptuous story beautifully filmed with a cult opening and ending.
December 29, 2014
Takes a bit to pick up but the latter half was superb. Great visuals and interesting shoot selections that I'll really have to go back and look at. Korean directors be loving the ambiguous endings.
½ December 21, 2014
Bong Joon Ho, the Director does an amazing job capturing the desperation and hopelessness of a mother trying to prove her mentally disabled sons innocence. She is a woman programmed to enable, and now forced to fight, although easily manipulated, she must overcome the apathy entrenched in the town wiling to pin everything on her son in order to sweep the real truth far away