Malibu's Most Wanted - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Malibu's Most Wanted Reviews

October 29, 2017
Funny movie to laugh with it and at it from Kennedy's performance.
½ May 15, 2017
The world needs stupid movies. You may be thinking that I'm crazy and that there's something wrong with me. But, bear with me here. Actually, I don't really have a justification for my thoughts on this. I will say, however, that you can make a stupid movie that's actually legitimately good. And by stupid I don't mean like Adam Sandler stupid, the guy has built an entire career on that. I just mean silly movies that rely completely on goofy characters and even goofier situations. You can make a good comedy out of these elements. Undercover Brother (a severely underrated film, in my opinion) comes to mind, immediately. Hot Rod comes to mind as well. Wet Hot American Summer is another. I digress, the point is that it can be done. This brings us to this movie. Admittedly speaking, prior to watching this, I was expecting to hate it. I had seen it once before, like when it first came out on DVD, but it's been over a decade since then and I, really, have absolutely no recollection of this movie whatsoever. I don't remember if I hated it or if I liked it. I remember some scenes, but not enough to make a real determination on it. Having said all of that, and the fact that I've never been the biggest Jamie Kennedy fan, this movie was actually surprisingly decent all things considered. Yes, this movie looks, and reads, like an unmitigated disaster. A wanna-be white rapper, from the tough streets of Malibu, bringing embarrassment to his father and his campaign for governor, finds himself in the real 'hard streets' as it were. These two actors, hired by Brad's father's campaign manager, attempt to play these gang bangers in order to scare the white out of Brad. Again, it sounds kinda awful and not necessarily racially sensitive. But, in execution, the movie has some entertaining scenes and good ideas to play with to be sure. I will say this right out of the gate, Jamie Kennedy, in all honesty, is really kind of annoying in the role of B-Rad. But it's an endearing sort of annoying. I don't really even know how to explain it. Sort of like a Steve Urkel type, except I find Jaleel White more likable than Jamie Kennedy. I'd like to compare Kennedy's performance to Sandler's performance as Jill in Jack and Jill or his performance in Little Nicky. Those are the types of annoying performances that you just wanna go through the screen and just strangle Sandler. Kennedy doesn't ever come close to reaching that level here. I'm not saying he's hilarious in this movie or anything, like I said he's still somewhat annoying, but it never reaches Sandler levels and that's all I can ask for. The character of B-Rad, honestly, feels more suited to a sketch show, which Jamie Kennedy had around this time as well. So it wouldn't surprise me if this character originated there and they found the character so entertaining that they felt it'd be a good idea to give him a full-length film. That's never a good idea, as characters who originated on sketch shows have a sketchy (heh) track record when it comes to basing feature-length films around them. A lot of the best stuff really happens in spite of Jamie Kennedy. I found Taye Diggs and Anthony Anderson to be the best part of the entire movie. Their chemistry is excellent and they really did make me laugh quite a bit in some scenes as these actors who are in way over their head playing gang bangers. The film has some interesting ideas about the roles black actors and actresses usually play, but those are, really, only limited to one scene where Sean laments the fact that he's still getting the same roles as a gang banger. The movie also plays with cultural appropriation but, again, it's relatively minor in the long run. The film is more about being true to who you are, regardless of who that person may be. So, at least, it's a good message, even if I would have used another character to tell this story. I don't wanna say the movie is good, because it's not, but it's better than I could have expected. I'm sure most movie nerds will hate this, but I was perfectly fine with it. I'd even recommend it if you're in the mood for something that's rich in silliness. Not a perfect movie, for sure, but it's perfectly decent with some entertaining scenes.
May 6, 2017
Movie funny as fuck, I don't care what anybody says
½ October 4, 2016
Not a horrible movie, but it's definitely a cheesy one. Has some nice laughs here and there, but not enough for the whole way through. Has a plot, cheeky characters, and a tough setting. It's at least watchable.
November 6, 2015
made me laugh "the BU"!
September 11, 2015
Hilarious in parts especially in the first half. Escaped being truly embarrassing quite smoothly.
½ August 22, 2015
Stupid Wigger Comedy
June 28, 2015
A surprisingly funny comedy with more depth than it is given credit for. Jamie Kennedy nails it as B-Rad. (First and only full viewing - 6/14/2015)
January 26, 2015
Pretty funny. Somewhat predictable but pretty funny...
½ January 6, 2015
Quote this movie wen ever it comes to mind. Funny movie
January 6, 2015
I'm a big Jamie Kennedy fan. This movie has some good laughs and moments that really work. I heard in the commentary that the movie process was kinda streamlined and sped up, so I can't help but wonder if the quality dipped. So I have a strange take on this. I think Jamie is great as B-rad. I know Jamie is amazingly talented and I didn't like seeing him look like a chump when he got on stage during the rap battle. It's hard to tell, but during different scenes Jamie and his love interest lady both gained weight. Taye Diggs and his actor counter part stole the show. They were both convincing and hilarious going back and forth between refined actor guys and gang bangers. Jamie Kennedy's funniest moments were when he realized his kidnapping was phony and he started acting courageous. That is when he most shined during this. I was hoping we'd see him show case his skill in a way that makes him look great as a rapper, not like a cheese. This is worth a once over. It gets 4 stars and not 3 because it's JFK! I liked seeing it again.
November 6, 2014
I may be alone in this, but I think this is one of the best comedies of the new century. It manages with a light and pleasant touch to play around with racial humor that is very funny and actually somewhat audacious. Taye Diggs and Anthony Anderson (also Blair Underwood) are the highlights here, it is worth seeing this movie just for them, but the laughs are surprisingly consistent. The dopeyness of the main character may put off some, but this isn't just an Eminem parody; is one of the better race comedies in a long time. At least thats what I think.
½ October 8, 2014
Just watched this - a dvd my friend lent me 11 years ago! Enjoyable and clever premise, with an especially good performance by Jamie Kennedy as B-Rad, the white 'black gangsta wannabe'. A good message for those who felt he could be changed - He ain't no wannabe, he is! "...don't be hatin'!.. " :)
August 14, 2014
funny, but wears itself too thin.
June 17, 2014
Epic classic. Diggs award worthy performance.
June 4, 2014
This movie is painful to watch
May 4, 2014
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
½ March 28, 2014
Any time the title of the movie says "some stupid title" Most wanted, that means it's probably going to be very cheesy. I went against my better judgment, and watched it anyway. It was a: shot myself in the foot, terrible. The only good part was that I watched on TV and didn't rent it. I think that would have been a sad day.
January 26, 2014
just recently watched the documentary on heckling, and wanted to reach out to Jamie. Dude, I thought that movie was the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. I quoted so many bits out of that movie in high school, it was so funny. The documentary made a valid point in stating it is much easier to be negative than optimistic. Do you man. I find you hilarious, I'm sure many others do as well. Fuck the haters. PEACE OUT
December 7, 2013
Hilarious. The length eventually causes the movie to suffer, but the idea is ingenious, and executed well by Jamie Kennedy.