Man on Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Man on Fire Reviews

½ July 23, 2017
Denzel owns. Period.
½ July 18, 2017
Interesting movie about kidnapped children in Mexico, like Denzel Washington's performance in this one very much, however some of the effects were a little not needed.
July 8, 2017
I've only seen this a couple of times but it always sticks in my mind. Dakota Fanning was quite frankly an otherworldly kind of child talent. Denzel is always impressive. I liked the story but particularly the dynamic between those two.
June 29, 2017
Cute DF
Great DZ (like always)
June 28, 2017
Great cast, horrible plot and average block buster style directing for a summer film.
June 14, 2017
Great Movie. Well worth the watch. The "critics consensus" of 39% based on over the top violence is ridiculous. The movie is about a man on a rampage as shown in the title. If you were weak for violence, you were stupid for starting to watch the movie in the first place. And how over the top he was and the level of vigilante justice is what makes this movie so great. If he was so-so in his resolve, it would have blended into other movies for so so average cliche revenge.
½ May 29, 2017
It is somehow just as bad as the 1987 version, which I hated. The pacing doesn't work, the style is bizarre, and it's very boring. I can't believe so many people actually liked it. (First and only viewing - 5/29/2017)
May 6, 2017
Scott's signature schizophrenic editing gets a bit jarring at times and the the whole thing runs a little too long, but otherwise this is an excellent remake. One with great performances from Denzel and Dakota. The chemistry between them is strong, but develops realistically. And the righteous, revenge story is quite satisfying.
April 16, 2017
Awesome Movie Watch over and over. 10/10
½ April 14, 2017
Over the top action flick that could easily be cut shorter than its 2.5hr run time.
March 19, 2017
I love the over the top violence in this movie. Extremely entertaining, great acting, and really well shot. One of my favorites
March 8, 2017
One of my top five movies. It is a rollercoaster of emotions from gleeful delight in justice being served to heartbreaking sadness in this one man's love for a little girl. I do not understand stand the negativity as it felt possible that one man could accomplish this unlike the overdone dramatics of many revenge movies.
March 1, 2017
Screw the critics, this movie is amazing. Denzel plays a bodyguard who has lost hope in life and is dead inside (because of all the people he's killed as a counter-insurgency spec-ops agent, and most likely the loss of his wife--not explicitly said but hinted at) but after getting to know Peta, the little girl he is protecting, he learns that he can live again. All that is taken away when she is kidnapped. What ensues is a "Man of Fire" takes revenge on those involved and orchestrated it. This is the second half that becomes violent. The violence is 100% justified and makes sense within the plot. The violence is even, I dare say, satisfactory. It boggle my mind that critics thought this movie was "over the top" violent... ARE YOU KIDDING ME??! Most super hero movies today have more violence that makes less sense and is less justified than the violence in this movie. Do yourself a favor and see this movie. It is well written, great choreography, awesome action, and extremely moving; I'd be surprised if you didn't cry. Again, screw the critics, this movie is A+.
February 7, 2017
The hurky jerky cinematic style gets annoying, but the story and action are great.
February 7, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name by A.J. Quinnell. John Creasy (Washington) is a burned-out ex-CIA operative who has given up on life. Creasy's friend Rayburn (Walken) persuades him to become a bodyguard to nine-year-old Pita Ramos (Fanning) in Mexico. Creasy barely tolerates the precocious child and her pestering questions about him and his life. But slowly, she chips away at his seemingly impenetrable exterior, his defenses drop, and he opens up to her. Creasy's new-found purpose in life is shattered when Pita is violently kidnapped. Despite being shot several times during the kidnapping, he vows to hunt down anyone involved in or profiting from the kidnapping. This is a well shot, hard-hitting revenge film not unlike "The Crow" in some respects. It's partially based on a true story. Don't watch this if you can't tolerate blood and torture up close and personal.
½ February 4, 2017
A few cheesy lines, the rest, really a gritty, deep, indulging movie. Rotten Tomatoes is an interesting site. The Tomatoe reviewers give weird ratings, this piece of art gets a 39, Thelma and Louise, a complete piece of horse dung has a huge approval rating. What on earth ?
January 31, 2017
I can't say I'm terribly surprised of the critic ratings, but the engagement, storyline, and Washington's wit were the saviors of the show. Fanning wasn't bad either. This was overall a neat and different action flick involving one of the most hardcore revenge missions and somewhat based on true events in Latin America. At times I did feel a little inattentive to some of the deep details, but nothing was slow or too boring for the most part.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 28, 2016
Great movie. Seems the critics didn't like it for it's violence. But the vengeful violence was the best part.
½ November 28, 2016
The editing and some scenes really drag this movie down.