Manhattan Murder Mystery - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Manhattan Murder Mystery Reviews

½ November 14, 2016
You seldom see Woody Allen writing a murder story, but still a funny and enjoyable one.
July 29, 2016
Woody Allen is at his most neurotic and chaotic in Manhattan Murder Mystery with a fast paced, witty, and incredibly engaging crime mystery. Though the film's plot can be quite straight forward and require some logical leaps, it does demonstrate Allen's adeptness while working in the crime-comedy genre. The film is even quite thrilling at times as the characters put themselves in peril at the sake of the mystery. Though there are little stakes as it is a comedy, these moments do provide thrills. Additionally, is quite good, especially from Alan Alda and Diane Keaton. Both are great in this witty detective-type film that also exists as an interesting commentary on romance and marriage as you age. Overall, this is a well nuanced and smart film from Woody Allen.
June 28, 2016
I have never wanted to smack Diane Keaton so much during a movie, I was actually rooting for the villains. The movie could have used a whole lot more of Anjelica Huston.
May 14, 2016
I happen to love New York ... and this movie.
March 21, 2016
Surprisingly good, Woody and Diane back together for a hell of a joint performance.
On rewatch this is bloody good film.
January 4, 2016
Everything that is majestic about Woody Allen's filmmaking in one film, plus as a bonus it is utterly hilarious.
½ December 29, 2015
Shades of Rear Window, Vertigo etc Lots of fun kind of like Neurotic New York intellectuals fall into a composite of Hitchcock mysteries.
½ September 26, 2015
Utterly charming Woody Allen comedy that re-teams Woody co-star Diane Keaton. They play a married couple who begin to suspect their elderly neighbor, Jerry Adler, has murdered his wife. It's a comic take on Alfred Hitchcock's "Rear Window" and although Allen still infuses the film with a subtext that's thematically similar to his more heavy "Crimes and Misdemeanors" around issues of marriage, infidelity and relationships. Alan Alda and Anjelica Huston play friends of Allen and Keaton, and also serve as characters for making the couple jealous of one another. It's a terrifically breezy and fun film with may laughs, but I do have to say that Keaton really steals the film and bring a level of charm and likability that had been missing from Allen films for years. Scarlett Johansson did that with her appearance in Allen's underrated "Scoop" and Owen Wilson did the same for Allen's "Midnight in Paris." But back to "Manhattan Murder Mystery," this film could easily be dismissed as simply Allen returning to straight comedy, but I think that would be doing this film a great disservice because it really is a much richer film than that.
September 12, 2015
After the great but somewhat contrived Husbands and Wives this trifle is so welcome. A story about a loving couple who meet the elderly couple next door just to find the wife dead of a heart attack the next day. The husband, Larry, thinks nothing of it but his wife, Carol is absolutely certain that the husband, Paul, knocked the poor dear off. And away we go! The film center around Diane Keaton, and she's definitely up to the task. Wonderfully entertaining.
½ August 24, 2015
Simple, twisting really well acted.. slow piece although pretty entertaining! Grab a hot cocoa, some popcorn, hold your S.O.'s hand and enjoy the trip!!
½ August 5, 2015
"I don't know why you're not more fascinated by this! We could be living next to a murderer," Carol Lipton (Diane Keaton) emphasizes to her doubtful husband, Larry (Woody Allen). Larry isn't so convinced: "New York is a melting pot: I'm used to it!" When put in the situation of having a murderer live next door, there are two kinds of people: there are (1) the bored who decide their life could use a little fluffer, deciding to solve the mystery themselves, like a modern day Miss Marple, or (2) the fearful who figure it would be best to mind their own business and let karma stop by sometime in the future.
Trouble is, Carol is of the first category, Larry of the second. She can't rest until she really knows what's going on; Larry, however, would rather go to work, come home for dinner at 5:00, stay up until the late hours of the evening to catch a forgotten classic on the classic movie channel, and continue the same routine for the rest of his life, spicing it up in safe ways when the occasion arises. But Carol has a mind of her own, and Larry, being played by Woody Allen (in which case meaning Allen is basically playing himself), is much too weak of a figure to stop her Nancy Drew madness.
Who can blame her? Here's the situation: as the film opens, Larry and Carol bump into their aging neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. House (Jerry Adler and Lynn Cohen), who proceed to casually invite them up for coffee. The two are dull, but sweet: reaching old age, they have already purchased twin headstones, filling their days with blissful uneventfulness and hobbies like stamp collecting. Larry finds them pleasantly boring; the invitation was polite, sure, but neighbors are meant to be neighbors, not friends. Yet just as he's stating this sentiment to the kooky Carol, the unexpected happens with brute force. The following day, Mrs. House is announced dead. She had a heart condition.
Larry is surprised but figures it to be another tragedy in the cruel game of life; Carol, on the other hand, is suspicious. Mrs. House never mentioned having a heart condition (strange considering she felt the need to discuss her hysterectomy only minutes into conversation). Mr. House must have murdered her. So she decides to do a little investigating herself, and, as it turns out, something is amiss. One point Carol, zero points Larry.
These days, Woody Allen seems to travel back and forth between meaningful work and more passable fare. Critics flock to his old-age unevenness like a group of hungry vultures, but I've always enjoyed what he has to offer. When he's taking a break from changing the lives of his audience and having fun for a change, it's infectious (most of the time). "Manhattan Murder Mystery" is his finest, dare I say it, "lightweight" project. I could be biased, considering I watched the majority of his most famous films when I was too young to really understand their meaning, but over the years, "Manhattan Murder Mystery" has always stuck with me the most. Is it the contagiously humorous repartee between Allen and Keaton (in their first film together since 1979's "Manhattan"), the obvious homages to film noir (you can't beat "The Lady from Shanghai" playfulness of the ending) and Agatha Christie, the likable supporting performances from Alan Alda (the likable best friend type) and Anjelica Huston (the superiorly cool female figure), the New York setting? I can hardly decide, but Allen's deft combination of whodunit antics and absolutely hilarious exchanges makes every single thing about "Manhattan Murder Mystery" an unequivocal delight. And because he's realistic, of course he slides marital trouble and middle-aged discontent into the mix; it's the only way such an exciting story could exist in real life!
With a luminous Keaton by his side, a truckload of his best lines ("Claustrophobia and a dead body - this is a neurotic's jackpot!"; "I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start to get the urge to conquer Poland."), and an unabashed sense of fun, "Manhattan Murder Mystery" is Allen at his best: confident, sensible, engaging, and uproarious.
½ July 1, 2015
Probably the most interesting of the 90s woody Allen films. It didn't get bogged down in neurosis...and the mystery was actually entertaining in its own right. Allen Alda and Diane Keaton gave good performances. A who dunnit full of the typical woody Allen relationship angst that wasn't actually about his own angst. Moved quickly with some well filmed scenes and memorable lines.
½ June 13, 2015
"Lesser" Woody Allen, but still good stuff. It's a funny romp about relationships and murder, and it's always great to see Allen and Keaton together.
June 9, 2015
The script is OK and Allen's his usual fidgety self but they go a long way for just a little bit of entertainment.
June 5, 2015
Witty and exciting. One of Allen's more overlooked films.
½ May 23, 2015
One of the most annoying Woody Allen movies I've seen. I just wish Diane Keaton could stop talking and being a nosy woman. It was so annoying and often painful to watch. Not because she's a horrible actress (although she plays the same kind of role over and over again throughout her career), but because I hated this character! Allen manages to combine his usual snappy dialogue with a sense of Hitchcock-esque thriller, and it works! Not one of his best works, but for those who are a fan of Allen's films, then it will satisfy their needs. Manhattan Murder Mystery is messy, but occasionally entertaining.
½ May 21, 2015
Hilarious, fun, exciting and inventive, Woody Allen's mystery is a visually dynamic and wonderfully entertaining caper.
May 10, 2015
A fun movie from all perspectives. It is hard to imagine a better teaming than the one of Woody Allen and Diane Keaton. In many ways, much of this film feels like a sort of low-fi and twee continuation of ANNIE HALL.
March 16, 2015
Woody Allen's homage to marriage and Rear Window is a solid comedy murder mystery. When his wife suspects the neighbour of murder, she begins investigating with a fellow acquaintance, and get a bit closer than he'd like. The result is an easy going and sometimes funny movie, but Allen sometimes overacts. Its not one of his greatest films but its a reasonably enjoyable distraction.