Mao's Last Dancer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mao's Last Dancer Reviews

½ March 2, 2016
great, heart warming story...nice movie the whole family can watch..should watch. God Bless America
½ December 12, 2015
Viewers need some sound historical knowledge of China to fully appreciate this film.
½ November 19, 2014
The inspiring story of a young ballet dancer getting a dream opportunity in America & his acceleration to success in ballet over there.

Filled with simple scenes I can see why the critics may bash but I liked the film it flows well & easy.

The final scene where he connects with his parents after many years after a knockout performance is very touching...
½ October 18, 2014
Typical story line where an Asian meets and falls in love with an American. I give it an extra star because of the scene where Li danced for his parents. It was very moving.
½ April 2, 2014
güzel film, muhte?em final.
March 8, 2014
people all around me are about 60-80 years old when I am watching this...OMG...but this is such a good movie.
February 4, 2014
Eye candy alert! Chi Cao will have your heart racing in a flash :-) This is one of the most gorgeous films I have seen this year. Completely loved it. Joan Chen is as fantastic as ever.
January 1, 2014
Absolutely wonderful
½ December 12, 2013
An interesting movie about tho journey of this Chinese dancer. M
August 16, 2013
"Mao's Last Dancer" follows every possible Hollywood formula that it eventually gets tiring. The story is about a ballet dancer who grew up on a small farm in communist China and was chosen to be trained as a ballet dancer. When he grows up, he is sent to the United States for a short amount of time. There, he falls in love and refuses to leave. I just wish the story did not overload on cheesiness and melodrama as if it needed it to survive. Mao's life in communist China was fairly bias free but swayed to become one-sided sometimes. I enjoyed seeing someone strive for perfection and do anything to achieve it. That part is truly inspiring and makes Mao a very likable character. After that, it was all once sided and typical Hollywood melodrama. I never fell for the relationship between Mao and the forgettable ballet dancer. The dance scenes are however sure to entertain since they were truly miraculous. The differences between the US and China are clearly highlighted and sometimes funny. The acting was decent, but it was nothing exceptional nor horrible. Some scenes are very powerful like the one where Mao is imprisoned in the Chinese Embassy while his lawyer is held down by security. The direction by Beresford is what is so wrong for the film which develops the hints of cheesiness found in the script."Mao's Last Dancer" is every bit as inspiring as it is cheesy and bland yet it is filled with some terrific dance routines.
July 16, 2013
Moving, challenging, and well performed true story inspired movie that left me thinking that values and beauty are in the eye of the beholder... and culture!
½ June 28, 2013
Perhaps this film was a bit culturally insensitive, but I still really enjoyed it. And can we please talk about how handsome Chi Cao (Li) is?
June 17, 2013
Proof positive that enough West Texas Intermediate will buy you anything.
May 16, 2013
Wanna see a bad movie? I mean a really bad movie? Where they have old Australian actors pretending to be American and they try to make Sydney pass for Houston? Well watch this one.
May 14, 2013
fantastic beautiful dancing ! Loved it
½ March 30, 2013
I'm getting soft, maybe I'm a comrade and have been brainwashed but loved this.
½ March 23, 2013
Mao's Last Dancer is truly telling of the struggles throughout Li Cunxin's life and his passion for ballet. The romance part threw me off a bit to be honest, but in the end, all the characters made sense. If you're looking for some lovely picturesque fru fru like Black Swan, I'm not sure. But if you're looking for real ballet and the real perspective of the dance, I think this film is more suitable.
March 23, 2013
Great dancing and wonderful true story based on the autobiography of Li Cunxin. . Well-acted and produced but the book is much more engaging. The movie lacks detail, reflection and insight into the hardship he experienced. The ending is a bit saccharine too.
March 13, 2013