Marley & Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marley & Me Reviews

May 22, 2017
Never have I laughed or cried so hard in the matter of an hour. Excellent film. Fantastic cast.Very well done.
May 9, 2017
Marley & Me is directed by David Frankel, and it stars Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston in a dramedy about a married couple that wants to know what it's like to take care of someone, and so they bought a dog, which ends up being the worst dog they ever own as Marley doesn't listen to them, makes a mess of things, and pees and poops everywhere in the house. I haven't seen this film in years, and the things that I remember from the movie are how troubling the dog is in terms of his behavior, and the ending. So I recorded it obviously, and when I was feeling a bit down at high school, and apparently in my weird mind, I thought that watching this film will make me feel better. Marley & Me did actually made me feel a lot better, except the ending in a good way, which I'll get to that later. Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston are great in it which given with the right script that fits their characters, they can be really funny and hold up on their own in terms of the drama, which the writing by Scott Frank and Don Roos is well-written that put the characters in relatable situations, even if some moments of the drama felt a bit forced that is just there to risen up the situation. The dog actors are fantastic in this that don't feel embarrassed to be doing the things that they shouldn't do and just act like actual dogs. The comedy in this is way more effective than the drama in the first two acts, that is until the last act kicks in which I'll now talk about it. The last act is where the emotional strings are starting to kick in, and it's very effective that this movie is basically one of those films that will make anyone cry, especially for dog or pet owners in general which I used to have a dog when I was young until my mom had to drop the dogs off to different families as we have to move to a place that doesn't allow dogs, so I started to cry in that movie too. Even if non-pet owners watch this, they probably get emotional in that scene also, which I'm glad that the movie does a good job of that part. It also a bit overlong at times, but there was never a time that I thought I was bored of the film. Marley & Me is a great film that has a bit of nostalgia to me.
April 22, 2017
Great dog lover's movie! One of my favorites....
½ March 20, 2017
(need the 30 minute intro)

When somethings we think about are credited and are liked by many that we can't help but get enough of. When we can think of many things to write and do when we just have a great life, city, dog and people to share. When we constantly can think of great ideas when we got tons of inspiration and motivation from some people we love. When we can think of somethings more important or conflicting with somethings we think about, but we think the time is right. When some ideas we think about are not great ideas when we know the worse. When we think that this Rollercoaster of happiness needs to continue when we are gifted and think our boss is the best for giving us the opportunity. When somethings we never think would happen, happens when we lose something. When we can only think the next step ahead. When we just can't think of any reason what went wrong. When we don't need to think when we know our masters upset.
When some challenges we think we can handle or overtake , it's is too overwhelming. When we need to get out and not think but feel what to think of our situation to know what not to do. When we don't need to think when we got luck on ourside. When we don't need to think when we have intuition with our instincts. When some things we think would fit well with eachother do. When we think of the days that we once used to live to say our days our over. When we think it's time for a new change when we need to move somewhere safer. When we think it's a good idea to do anything when somethings are open for us. When somethings we never think about, happen we never expected but have to handle. When we think that we must do the safest thing for our family to take somethings we don't like taking. When we think some people are great to keep them permanently. When somethings we think would work out becoming increasingly a big challenge for us. When we think based on what we know about some people, based on it happens to everyone or majority. When we think we need more time for others and others for us when we are not bonding and everything is in disorder. When we think some people are great at getting us to bond with some people we are naturally a good fit. When what we think we want a quick fix on there is some much pressure and things to do and think about that stresses us. When somethings we don't think about are not a good fit long term. When somethings we think is a great idea but feel otherwise. When somethings we no longer think about we don't see it happen anymore. When somethings we think we are in need of we let free when it's liberating. When we are in need of happiness and high expectations to think of something that is wild and brightens up our day with a party and some companionship. When we don't need to think when we know about some people's moods when we can read them so well.

When we think we are in need of a great experience, something new and what we always wanted we see challenges along the way. When others are not like minded like us to know that they think things should go a different direction. When we don't think the worse of things when we are positive. When we can't see or think of anything that can explain what's going on, to think the worse never happens to us. When we think we can control the fate of somethings when they are special, not like others, and that we think will pull through to whatever you give them. When we don't need to think about the worse when we see it on their face. When somethings we don't think about but happy to see. When there are things we like seeing and others we rather see to think that we have it good when it's a matter of perspective. When we think it's time to be real with ourselves in what we sre good at and whom we are. When we think it's time to let go of somethings we love, when it is only for a short while. When we think about all the moments, good times, that naturally many thoughts come to mind when we think and embrace every up and down time we had together that we share this with them. When we can't see others in person anymore, but can only think of the times we shared together that we don't think it's anything we can compare or share with any other when your a special in our eyes and family lives. When we can think of all the special things we have to think we would trade it all for the most special thing that brought us all this special happiness when we all think our dogs are great in their own way that we can't help but share them with the world.

***************************************************************************
What used to be the hardest things to do, came so easily and naturally when dealing with stories. When we always felt that we were in this great story filled with ups and downs, and filed with different people, some dull days and some days that were unique and filled with something that made the same day not the same, we were part of a story that had so much life. When having a family and having that family member always the story of your day in who they are and what they do, you cant help but embrace God's gifts to this world. When having a pet means they are more then a pet but family, that are always right by your side always. When some friends guide you along the way, help you when your suck, or hit o land er, your pet does what he can the best way it knows how to. When times are good and things don't change, we dread when it does, when we have leave a life behind full of memories and stories. But we embrace change when it's a new start to something else dreamed about. And some changes we dread never to face when it involves our family pet. When we faced alot of losses in life but still got right back up, we don't know if we could this time. When we had the greatest inspiration of energy in what a pet can fo, to see them have none. When that same energy we put to raising them made us better, stronger and happier. When we can remember the first time we got them, seen them grow, do so much with their life, we had a pet full of stories to share, a pet whom we would consider not good, but the best dog ever. When the greatest story and decision was getting a dog throughout your story.
½ March 19, 2017
The film offers nothing but a cute doggy. Owen Wilson and Jennifer Anniston have one of the least convincing chemistry I've ever witnessed.
½ March 18, 2017
Sometimes it's a sweet and heartwarming exploration of the connection between man and dog, but the rest of the time it suffers from being a cloying attempt at a tearjerker. I respect the effort, but there are definitely better movies about the unquantifiable connection, like "Hachi: A Dog's Tale," for instance. It's enjoyable, but only so.
½ March 15, 2017
First time seeing this yesterday. Good story combined with great chemistry between Wilson & Aniston. The last 15 minutes are brutal. Marley & Me has a fresh feeling to it and is better than most romantic comedies. Should stand the test of time for quality family films.
March 11, 2017
I knew it was going to be sad. I knew the dang dog was gonna die... and yet I still sobbed like a snotty little baby for at least a half an hour.
½ February 19, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ February 5, 2017
It was good. Had its funny moments. Definitely left the movie in tears.
½ January 27, 2017
I just watched Marley and Me.
Laugh, cried and smiled.
Great movie!! :)
January 3, 2017
This movie was so sweet and great !!! Good movie !!!
½ January 1, 2017
Time is really going quick in this movie! Took time to adjust! It's really funny! And sad... You can't help but like this dog!
Le temps passe vraiment vite dans ce film ! J'ai pris du temps ŕ m'ajuster. Mais c'est bien drôle ! Et bien triste... Mais on ne peut qu'aimer ce chien.
½ December 4, 2016
I couldn't get over comparing this film to "My Dog Skip". It's essentially the same film but with a more star studded cast. A little too formulaic and manipulative. It has a good heart but seemed too forced. The desire to be a tear jerker was frustrating b/c it didn't allow me to become engaged in the story.
½ September 30, 2016
The dog entertaining enough, if you like dogs. Very depressing near the end but who didn't see that coming?
½ September 17, 2016
Owen Wilson and Jennifer Anniston made emotional aspects into something worth watching.
August 27, 2016
Not my favorite movie
½ August 13, 2016
This is a great movie about friendship, it has an awesome soundtrack and Jennifer Aniston is just lovely.
August 9, 2016
The world's worst dog comes to life in a fun and simple fashion.

John and Jenny Grogan decide to move to the warm beaches of Florida as they begin their life as newly weds. As they settle down, find jobs, and put check marks on their life plan, John fears that Jenny may want a kid soon. In an attempt to cease any possible thoughts, he decides to buy a dog. Turns out this small little Labrador would grow up into a hundred pound beast and became known as the worst dog ever.

Let me just start out by saying that I really do admire and enjoy this movie. It's a fun and simple film that knows what it is and it never tries to over step its boundaries. This is a film meant for dog lovers and is something that I think many people in this situation could relate to. It's not only a movie that shows the life of a dog named Marley, but it's also about John and Jenny's marriage and the obstacles that they'll have to face in their lives. This movie presents real problems that many couples have to deal with, and many more scenarios that pet owners can relate to. The movie is subtle in its messages about growing old and it's an enjoyable flick for the entire family.

This movie isn't going to make you bust out laughing at any real points, nor does it avoid some cringe worthy moments and weird lines of dialogue, but it has a nice comedic tone to it that's more relatable than anything. The movie is a nice drama/comedy without swaying heavily toward one side and it feels like a nice balance between the two.

It's always a difficult challenge for a director and the crew to work with animals, but obviously, they did a great job here. I don't know the exact number but I know that more than a dozen dogs were used and I think the director/trainers on set did a great job of guiding the pets, easily making them the movie's star.

Owen Wilson seems like an awkward fella at times and his inability to thrive in dramatic moments hurt the movie a bit, but he still filled the role really nicely. He's actually a pretty funny guy and his subtle, comedic awkwardness is well noted. In my opinion, Jennifer Aniston was actually the best actress here. Her ability to really make the role hers was impressive and I think she brought the most dimensions to her character. Their chemistry together worked really well and they sold the fact that they were supposed to be a couple. They worked really well off of each other and they made everything seem very natural.

In the end, "Marley & Me" is one of the best films featuring a dog that you'll ever see, even if it's not the most quality film. It's worth a watch, especially for pet owners, and will certainly always hold a place in my heart.
½ August 7, 2016
" A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A waterlog stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his"