Marley & Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Marley & Me Reviews

½ September 30, 2016
The dog entertaining enough, if you like dogs. Very depressing near the end but who didn't see that coming?
½ September 17, 2016
Owen Wilson and Jennifer Anniston made emotional aspects into something worth watching.
August 27, 2016
Not my favorite movie
½ August 13, 2016
This is a great movie about friendship, it has an awesome soundtrack and Jennifer Aniston is just lovely.
August 9, 2016
The world's worst dog comes to life in a fun and simple fashion.

John and Jenny Grogan decide to move to the warm beaches of Florida as they begin their life as newly weds. As they settle down, find jobs, and put check marks on their life plan, John fears that Jenny may want a kid soon. In an attempt to cease any possible thoughts, he decides to buy a dog. Turns out this small little Labrador would grow up into a hundred pound beast and became known as the worst dog ever.

Let me just start out by saying that I really do admire and enjoy this movie. It's a fun and simple film that knows what it is and it never tries to over step its boundaries. This is a film meant for dog lovers and is something that I think many people in this situation could relate to. It's not only a movie that shows the life of a dog named Marley, but it's also about John and Jenny's marriage and the obstacles that they'll have to face in their lives. This movie presents real problems that many couples have to deal with, and many more scenarios that pet owners can relate to. The movie is subtle in its messages about growing old and it's an enjoyable flick for the entire family.

This movie isn't going to make you bust out laughing at any real points, nor does it avoid some cringe worthy moments and weird lines of dialogue, but it has a nice comedic tone to it that's more relatable than anything. The movie is a nice drama/comedy without swaying heavily toward one side and it feels like a nice balance between the two.

It's always a difficult challenge for a director and the crew to work with animals, but obviously, they did a great job here. I don't know the exact number but I know that more than a dozen dogs were used and I think the director/trainers on set did a great job of guiding the pets, easily making them the movie's star.

Owen Wilson seems like an awkward fella at times and his inability to thrive in dramatic moments hurt the movie a bit, but he still filled the role really nicely. He's actually a pretty funny guy and his subtle, comedic awkwardness is well noted. In my opinion, Jennifer Aniston was actually the best actress here. Her ability to really make the role hers was impressive and I think she brought the most dimensions to her character. Their chemistry together worked really well and they sold the fact that they were supposed to be a couple. They worked really well off of each other and they made everything seem very natural.

In the end, "Marley & Me" is one of the best films featuring a dog that you'll ever see, even if it's not the most quality film. It's worth a watch, especially for pet owners, and will certainly always hold a place in my heart.
½ August 7, 2016
" A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A waterlog stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his"
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
A very touching and sad film even though we have seen plenty of films like it, This one stands out from the crowd.
July 25, 2016
Malgré un sujet tire-larmes, Marley & Me est une très bonne comédie dramatique, aussi drôle qu'émouvante, qui conte quinze ans dans la vie d'un jeune couple marié jusqu'au moment où ils ont 3 enfants en âge d'aller à l'école, à travers le prisme d'un chien qu'ils adoptent au sortir de la lune de miel. Non seulement l'idée est habile, mais David Frankel s'en sort particulièrement bien en montrant le temps qui passe sans avoir besoin de grimer les acteurs. Owen Wilson et Jennifer Aniston sont d'ailleurs parfaitement crédibles dans les rôles principaux, tandis qu'Eric Dane est un peu le point faible du film, avec son personnage assez détestable. Alan Arkin, en revanche, est excellent, comme à l'accoutumée. Marley & Me est un film infiniment sympathique, qui est bien plus que ce qu'il vend.
June 7, 2016
They only movie to ever make me cry besides the Passion of Christ
May 15, 2016
This was such a well-done, charming little movie! Jennifer Aniston & Owen Wilson were perfectly fit for the roles (especially Owen, who I usually am not a big fan of). They glide through every scene believably. Marley is effing adorable and the movie nails the ups & downs of having a dog, leading up to the uber emotional final 10 minutes at which I buried myself in my seat because I couldn't believe I was crying! It's just a really, really solid movie - funny, sad, good writing, good acting.
May 8, 2016
What used to be the hardest thing to do, came so easily and naturally when dealing with stories. When we always felt that we were in this great story filled with ups and downs, and filed with different people, some dull days and some days that were unique and filled with something that made the same day not the same, we were part of a story that had so much life. When having a family and having that family member always the story of your day in who they are and what they do, you cant help but embrace God's gifts to this world. When having a pet means they are more then a pet but family, that are always right by your side always. When some friends guide you along the way, help you when your suck, or hit o land er, your pet does what he can the best way it knows how to. When times are good and things don't change, we dread when it does, when we have leave a life behind full of memories and stories. But we embrace change when it's a new start to something else dreamed about. And some changes we dread never to face when it involves our family pet. When we faced alot of losses in life but still got right back up, we don't know if we could this time. When we had the greatest inspiration of energy in what a pet can fo, to see them have none. When that same energy we put to raising them made us better, stronger and happier. When we can remember the first time we got them, seen them grow, do so much with their life, we had a pet full of stories to share, a pet whom we would consider not good, but the best dog ever. When the greatest story and decision was getting a dog throughout your story.
April 28, 2016
If you are an animal lover especially of dogs you can relate to this movie. I thought it was realistic and entertaining and yes it left me crying at the end. I thought it was great not to have to listen to unexpected cursing and nudity or sexual scenes yes they were trying to get pregnant but it was kept clean. I appreciate this movie and the movie industry should put out more of these rather than the violence, crime ridden, raunchy sexual , foul mouthed, occult horror, so called "high on the tomato meter piles of crap that are the norm. I say yes to Marley and me!!! And it deserves a much higher rating more like an 80% or higher !
April 2, 2016
Well more not sure what I want, I hear it's a good movie but also that.. well if you've seen you may know why I'm not sure whether to watch.
February 15, 2016
?Marley and Me? is a heartwarming story about the Grogan family and their beloved yellow lab, Marley. The movie focuses on Marley?s life and the Grogan?s growing family and all the trouble Marley causes throughout his life. Even though the idea of ?Marley and Me? is cliche and has been seen before, it will still pull your heartstrings like no other. The movie brings out nearly every emotion to the viewer while watching, and is the kind of movie that you can never see too many times. It seems as if most families can relate to ?Marley and Me?, because it portrays the ups and downs of a dog?s life. This movie is definitely aimed more towards younger kids, but is suitable for the whole family. People of all ages will enjoy ?Marley and Me?, even if they are not a dog person.
Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston, playing husband and wife, deliver an amazing, believable and emotional performance. Even the actors and actresses in lesser roles built up the story. And although Wilson and Aniston are usually seen in more comedic roles, a dramatic comedy like this brought out their strong side. The directing of ?Marley and Me? was also done very well. This movie made me, and I?m sure everyone else who has seen it, bawl my eyes out at the ending, thanks to the acting, directing, and of course, the adorable dog. The goal of ?Marley and Me? was to make the audience think about their own pet. Everything in this movie seems to pull together very well; from the acting, music, setting, plot, and ending.
February 9, 2016
i wanna go see this!!!!
½ February 2, 2016
Marley & Me is an endearingly heart-warming comedy drama about a young married couple who welcome a rambunctious and disobedient yellow Labrador puppy into their home to help prepare themselves for what their marriage will be like when they begin the next chapter of their lives: raising children. This charming tale is emotionally intelligent and aptly tugs on a wide range of sentiments and feeling; it is as whimsical and playful as it is genuine and tranquil. The family-friendly humour is warm and comforting even when circumstances are periodically stressful and disheartening; and let's not forget the way the romantic side of the plot remains fairly exciting because Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson brew a budding chemistry the entire way through, marginally strengthening the film's believability.

Idealism is harnessed beautifully by realism here. The segments where John Gorgan (Owen Wilson), a columnist for Harper Collins Publishers, is rapidly firing off the various narratives of his columns and musings, the majority of which feature humorous anecdotes about Marley, is one of the more emotionally provoking parts of the film because it elicits an eclectic range of emotions all at once and concocts supremely touching and hysterical scenes for our viewing pleasure. In many similarly powerful moments, you can really connect to John and Jenny Gorgan as characters while the plot matures. Their feelings and reactions seem real because they're so relatable and honest, and it's nice to see a family drama keep a tight grip on its ability to be emotionally manipulative. We want to release our emotions safely during these type of feel-good films, we don't want to walk away feeling as though we've been battered by the film's sentimental value.

I predict dog and animal lovers everywhere will cherish this experience tenfold.

[B-] -- 70%
½ January 29, 2016
Very boring. Saw almost nothing I liked. Silly dog. Terrible.
November 19, 2015
darn dog made me cry
November 3, 2015
One of the best films i ever watch, left me in tears lol. But puts things into perspective, its realistic. Im dreading the day i have to say bye to my little poodle...????
October 9, 2015
If you don't cry during this movie you are a robot.