Mars Attacks! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mars Attacks! Reviews

September 18, 2016
Tim Burton doesn't usually delve into the Sci-Fi realm of filmmaking, so Mars Attacks seemed like a good deviation for him while still maintaining his style. Burton certainly does that, with sometimes satisfying and always ridiculous results.

One thing it undeniably has is an unbelievable cast. Jack Nicholson, Glenn Close, Michael J. Fox, Annette Bening, Pierce Brosnan, Sarah Jessica Parker, Martin Short, and Danny Devito star in this insane sci-fi romp. And that's just to name a few. In some ways, this is Tim Burton's Independence Day. The story is structured in a similar way with an ensemble cast sharing the load with interweaving stories. The aliens have similar intentions but with a slightly more comedic approach and horrific special effects.

I was not on board with this film for the first 45 minutes. There were far too many characters to keep track of and I didn't really feel connected to them anyway. The film also seemed to be taking itself way too seriously. But once the aliens reach Washington D.C., it turns into a completely different film altogether. So in one hand, it's an uneven directing job from Burton. But on the other hand, the change of tone midway through kind of adds to the ridiculousness of the whole thing. Either way, I enjoyed my time with this sci-fi romp.

Overall, it's a charming little sci-fi project from Burton, and we haven't really gotten one of those from him since. Although the budget skyrocketed to 70 million, which is a lot for the 90's, the story feels more personal and smaller scale than the similar Independence Day. The effects are brutal and would have been better off using stop motion like Burton had originally planned. But all of this pretty much leads to a harmlessly entertaining comedy that hits more often than not.

+Tonal change helps

-Don't really care about all the characters

August 17, 2016
Its a shame american people didnt understand this piece of art from the visionary ditector Tim Burton because I can say without a doubt that this is one of the best movies ive ever seen. The script is hillarious and the cast is amazing but i guess not everyeone share the same opinion
½ July 24, 2016
The Nancy Reagan chandelier.
July 21, 2016
A zany homage to 50's cheese that manages to be every 50's movie and its own all at the same time.
July 14, 2016
Tim Burton obviously tried just a little too hard to be funny when he was making this spoof of 50s and 60s science fiction.
½ June 5, 2016
6/3/2016: Other than a few funny moments, this movie was pretty bad even with such a great cast.
May 28, 2016
This Was one of the best films growing up
May 3, 2016
I could watch it over and over again!!!
½ April 22, 2016
1996, what a year for Alien Invastion films. but Mars Attacks has to beat Indpendance day. Comicly funny, cheesy science and a massive hollywood cast, this is one of the best cult films i've ever seen, so bad it's funny. The most cheesiest cult film ever put on screen with a all star cast of all my favourite people in Hollywood Jack Nichelson, Glenn Close, Peires Brosnan, Micheal J Fox, Danny DeVito, Sarah Jessica Parker and even Tom Jones makes a apperence that makes this film comicly bad but so good. A classic parody on the classic alien invasion. I didn't like that a lot of the cast was cut short like Micheal J Fox was killed in the first visitation. Very badly funny and the gags were really funny aswell and has a really good comic effect of classic alien attack films. One of Tim Burton's under rated bests and a true delight to watch and very entertaining.
April 21, 2016
Martians attack Earth with superior weapons and a twisted sense of humour.

I'll start by saying I thought this movie was terrible when it first came out.

I figured I might've been too young to understand and so, gave it another try 20 years later and my opinion remains.

I had no idea it had such a star studded cast, or that Tim Burton was involved though. Oh dear...

I get that this is probably meant to be a parody and some sort of tribute to old 1950's sci-fi movies but this feels like it's something else entirely. While there is opportunity for humour in here and some of the nods are obvious, most of the jokes fall flat, or get repeated too often. Maybe that's also part of the point? I dunno.

Mars Attacks! just feels too painful to watch through in the end. 20 years on the acting is stiff, the effects are cheap and there's much better parodies or alien invasion movies out there. Thankfully there are also much better Tim Burton films too!
½ April 9, 2016
Among the weakest Tim Burton films, the cheesy "Mars Attacks!" is a middling sci-fi comedy boasting an impressive cast and wacky visuals but one that never becomes truly thrilling.
March 21, 2016
Possibly Tim Burton's most underrated movie, Mars Attacks has it's fair share of problems, for starters the script is never as funny as you want it to be, the first forty or so mins the movie is almost shockingly low on laughs, the astonishing ensemble cast of stars, including Jack Nicholson, Pierce Brosnan, Glen Close, Anette Benning, Sarah Jessica Parker, Michael J Fox, Natalie Portman, Danny Devito and bizarrely Tom Jones, are all never really given anything to do (although the throwaway flippancy towards all these stars is part of the films cheeky charm) but once the martians land and all hell breaks loose, the movie becomes a carnival of blackly comic anarchy. Especially in the face of todays blockbusters Mars Attacks seems particularly bold and odd, it presents the arrival of extraterrestrial life not as something wondrous or profound but instead met with bored indifference by everyone, theres a sour, bitterness to the film and it's view on the apathy of humanity that becomes more apparent with re-watches. In fact it is overall one of the most surprisingly nasty and subversive big budget movies of modern times, the galaxy of stars are given short shrift and variously decimated, mutilated, blasted and impaled by the movies real stars, the hilarious, giant craniumed martians, their merry mean spiritedness is infectious and darkly joyous. So while it has issues, when this movie gets going it's massive fun, visually brilliant and inventive, full of insanity, carnage, destruction and A-list death, it's subversive, strange, ambitiously huge and just great.
February 23, 2016
If you can ignore the fucking terrible CGI effects, it stands out as a pretty satisfying and super entertaining movie. The acting by Jack Nicholson and other really famous actors are excellent. And even the CGI effects, you can think of the shlockiness as a result of being extraterrestrial. It also real well references the old 1950's science-fiction B-movies such as Earth vs. The Flying Saucers and The Day the Earth Stood Still. You can tell that this is a Tim Burton flick and it's also very funny and a fun appearance by Tom Jones and his music!! Recommended !!
½ February 20, 2016
Achieves precisely what it sets out to do: creating 'Teenagers from Outer Space' in the style Ed Wood made movies, a tribute not a spoof.
Burton's normal weaknesses; lack of emotional impact, character development, or depth that hampers his more serious efforts are a perfect fit here.
Because of these traits the focus on subplots are uninteresting and they take up far too much of the running length, which could have easily been shortened for more punch. Everyone involved is clearly enjoying themselves and not taking it too seriously, watch it in the same mindset and the lack of cynicism is refreshing, and the fun contagious.
February 11, 2016
Dark humour alien invasion satire
½ February 10, 2016
Just some dumb 1950's style alien fun, and to quote Jack Nicholson as the President in this movie, "that ain't bad."
January 17, 2016
It's very stylized, but in a clever and fun way. I am a bit shocked by the low ratings for this film, especially given its clever commentary and timing, too. Like any strange film, many people turn away. Tim Burton is especially known for this on his earlier filmmaking (less so later on). It isn't perfect, but it is smart and a lot of fun.
January 16, 2016
Mars Attacks is a delightful homage to the old cheesy sci-fi B movies with enough sharp wit and humor to overcome its somewhat overbearing zaniness
January 10, 2016
This should have at least 66%
½ January 9, 2016
- It is cheesy, and not Burton's best, but i always get a kick out of watching it. It's got a great cast and is pretty funny.

- I know it's not Burton's best work, but I find it to be a lot of easy watch with an All-star cast...