Mars Attacks! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mars Attacks! Reviews

July 25, 2017
MARS ATTACKS! is proof of how difficult it can be for Hollywood to make entertainment out of cheesy alien invasion movies like these, and the visually artistic aspects of giving the aliens sadistic personalities of murderous bullies and making their abuse towards humans colorfully creative like mixing a girl's head with a dog's body can be fun to watch but they don't help too much when you suddenly realize the movie is still garbage without a sophisticated script, just very colorful garbage.
July 18, 2017
Possibly Tim Burton's most underrated movie, Mars Attacks has it's fair share of problems, for starters the script is never as funny as you want it to be, the first forty or so mins the movie is almost shockingly low on laughs, the astonishing ensemble cast of stars, including Jack Nicholson, Pierce Brosnan, Glen Close, Anette Benning, Sarah Jessica Parker, Michael J Fox, Natalie Portman, Danny Devito and bizarrely Tom Jones, are all never really given anything to do (although the throwaway flippancy towards all these stars is part of the films cheeky charm) but once the martians land and all hell breaks loose, the movie becomes a carnival of blackly comic anarchy. Especially in the face of todays blockbusters Mars Attacks seems particularly bold and odd, it presents the arrival of extraterrestrial life not as something wondrous or profound but instead met with bored indifference by everyone, theres a sour bitterness to the film and it's view on the apathy of humanity that becomes more apparent with re-watches. In fact it is overall one of the most surprisingly nasty and subversive big budget movies of modern times, the galaxy of stars are given short shrift and variously decimated, mutilated, blasted and impaled by the movies real stars, the hilarious, giant craniumed martians, their merry mean spiritedness is infectious and darkly joyous. So while it has issues, when this movie gets going it's massive fun, visually brilliant and inventive, full of insanity, carnage, destruction and A-list death. It's viciously subversive, strange, ambitiously huge and just great.
May 6, 2017
There really isn't much to say about Mars Attacks!. It's fun & enjoyable for some people, and stupid & dumb for others. If you enjoy it, good for you. It takes a certain type of person to appreciate this type of humor. I hate Batman & Robin as a film, but it's definitely campy enough for me to enjoy watching for fun. If you're looking for a more grounded and serious film, then you probably won't enjoy Mars Attacks!.
April 28, 2017
This is a dumb, but fun flick to watch at least once.
April 8, 2017
This is creep territory with an absurd comedic bent. The martians are a funny, devious playful bunch coming to harvest the half-breeds they implanted on earth 100000 years ago. Funny, this storyline reminds me a more serious recent marvel movie. They were on Saturn though. Anyway, here we have a bunch of too smart martians that act like englishes coming to eat soylent green not without first playing with their food. Unfortunately, an unexpected flaw in their evolutionary design saves the earthians. Very creepy and a lot happens in Las Vegas, but I would mark this as must see, like all Tim Burton's films.
March 17, 2017
This movie was OK, but a little dumb and brainless at times. The action and effects were good, though. Good cast.
January 21, 2017
This movie is amazingly ahead of its time. It perfectly makes fun of everything, and in this surreal distopian present, it is very good medicine.
January 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 13, 2016
I was pretty much saying "Okay, I get it" the whole movie.
December 5, 2016
A great tribute to Ray Harryhausen's Earth vs the Flying Saucers, but it is too corny for its own good.
½ November 27, 2016
Cheesed up satire of sci-fi and nevertheless totally mockery of the american citizens. Guessing Burton made this, being totally aware of that nobody was gonna take it serious, he creates some different angels towards the mass-produced alien-invasions and alien-obductions. It reeks of parody towards the gone-wrong society as the destructive aliens, blasting it away laughing.
November 24, 2016
You've got to love the Cast, Director, and the special effects. Great fun! On Blu-ray.
½ November 21, 2016
This is one of Burton's more underrated movies in my opinion.
½ November 3, 2016
Maybe the worst sci fi movie I have ever seen
½ October 26, 2016
I took my landlady's daughter's young son to see this when I was living in San Bernardino. Good for a few laughs. I meant to take him to a Disney movie but it wasn't showing.
September 18, 2016
Tim Burton doesn't usually delve into the Sci-Fi realm of filmmaking, so Mars Attacks seemed like a good deviation for him while still maintaining his style. Burton certainly does that, with sometimes satisfying and always ridiculous results.

One thing it undeniably has is an unbelievable cast. Jack Nicholson, Glenn Close, Michael J. Fox, Annette Bening, Pierce Brosnan, Sarah Jessica Parker, Martin Short, and Danny Devito star in this insane sci-fi romp. And that's just to name a few. In some ways, this is Tim Burton's Independence Day. The story is structured in a similar way with an ensemble cast sharing the load with interweaving stories. The aliens have similar intentions but with a slightly more comedic approach and horrific special effects.

I was not on board with this film for the first 45 minutes. There were far too many characters to keep track of and I didn't really feel connected to them anyway. The film also seemed to be taking itself way too seriously. But once the aliens reach Washington D.C., it turns into a completely different film altogether. So in one hand, it's an uneven directing job from Burton. But on the other hand, the change of tone midway through kind of adds to the ridiculousness of the whole thing. Either way, I enjoyed my time with this sci-fi romp.

Overall, it's a charming little sci-fi project from Burton, and we haven't really gotten one of those from him since. Although the budget skyrocketed to 70 million, which is a lot for the 90's, the story feels more personal and smaller scale than the similar Independence Day. The effects are brutal and would have been better off using stop motion like Burton had originally planned. But all of this pretty much leads to a harmlessly entertaining comedy that hits more often than not.

+Tonal change helps

+Cast

+Ridiculous

-Don't really care about all the characters

6.8/10
August 17, 2016
Its a shame american people didnt understand this piece of art from the visionary ditector Tim Burton because I can say without a doubt that this is one of the best movies ive ever seen. The script is hillarious and the cast is amazing but i guess not everyeone share the same opinion
½ July 24, 2016
The Nancy Reagan chandelier.
July 14, 2016
Tim Burton obviously tried just a little too hard to be funny when he was making this spoof of 50s and 60s science fiction.
½ June 5, 2016
6/3/2016: Other than a few funny moments, this movie was pretty bad even with such a great cast.