Mars Attacks! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mars Attacks! Reviews

January 4, 2018
This could have been great but it's not.
½ January 3, 2018
An incredibly silly and very funny homage to 50's sci-fi horror. Admittedly a lot of the parts do fall flat, and there is zero story. Luckily Jack Nicholson, Michael J. Fox, and Sylvia Sidney bring their A game. By far the best part of the film are the Martians. The way they talk always cracked me up, I loved their facial expressions and it never got old watching how they found new ways to fuck with and mock the President of the U.S. (Jack Nicholson), Admittedly, Mars Attacks isn't a great film, it's not even all that good. It's very sloppy and hectic, and it jumps around around between it's overstuffed cast list. However, it's very entertaining and funny enough for me to give it a small thumbs up and a recommendation.
November 30, 2017
Dumb alien invasion movie.
October 18, 2017
Left the movie after about the fifth cow got burned alive. I didn't get it. Lots of good stars, sure had promise, but didn't deliver. Probably the worst movie I've ever endured.
½ September 23, 2017
If you were born in the 60s or earlier, and are a fan of bad SciFi from that era, this is for you. Some big names are in this film, and they are willing to poke fun at themselves. We have Glenn close, Natalie Portman, Jack Nicholson and many more.
September 22, 2017
Cheesy and ridiculous, Tim Burton's "Mars Attacks!" proves itself as an at least mildly entertaining alien spoof, and has enough laughs and pure stupidity to warrant a "bad movie night".
September 17, 2017
Guilty Pleasure. It has the look and spirit of those campy fun 40's-50's films while also being a loving tribute to the great Ray Harryhausen.
½ September 10, 2017
This movie was said to be a classic, but, upon watching, I found that I was watching a mess of people, cameos, and stars frolic around a screen and run screaming. I give this movie only half a star, for, without the stupid comedy, this movie could be a pretty good "Alien Attack" movie. I've seen good Tim Burton movies, and this isn't one of them.
½ September 9, 2017
This was a fun movie to go back and watch. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. The aliens used to scare me as a kid. I enjoyed the huge cast and Jack Nicholson playing two roles. This movie is prob gonna be cult classic if it isn't already considered one.
August 24, 2017
An amazing cast of actors came together to have a bit of fun with a parody of sci-fi B movies, and the result is a hilariously silly film.
August 14, 2017
really slow and just not funny. i chuckled a few times the entire movie. this should be something i like. tim burton is garbo (about 3 viewings)
½ August 12, 2017
Tim Burton got critical acclaim with Ed Wood and thought, "I can direct anything I want, now". The result is this disaster. The creatures are stupid looking and awful to look at. The characters are a bank roll and don't do anything except to make it appear as if they're a great ensemble.
This movie has all the boring weight of an Independence Day without a real plot. And because it acts like it's a satire on 50s camp sci-movies, it feels like it can get away with this, only satire still has to be grounded in a central idea or theme, which this movie lacks. I spent way much more time writing about this film than I should have.
August 9, 2017
ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK
July 25, 2017
MARS ATTACKS! is proof of how difficult it can be for Hollywood to make entertainment out of cheesy alien invasion movies like these, and the visually artistic aspects of giving the aliens sadistic personalities of murderous bullies and making their abuse towards humans colorfully creative like mixing a girl's head with a dog's body can be fun to watch but they don't help too much when you suddenly realize the movie is still garbage without a sophisticated script, just very colorful garbage.
July 18, 2017
Possibly Tim Burton's most underrated movie, Mars Attacks has it's fair share of problems, for starters the script is never as funny as you want it to be, the first forty or so mins the movie is almost shockingly low on laughs, the astonishing ensemble cast of stars, including Jack Nicholson, Pierce Brosnan, Glen Close, Anette Benning, Sarah Jessica Parker, Michael J Fox, Natalie Portman, Danny Devito and bizarrely Tom Jones, are all never really given anything to do (although the throwaway flippancy towards all these stars is part of the films cheeky charm) but once the martians land and all hell breaks loose, the movie becomes a carnival of blackly comic anarchy. Especially in the face of todays blockbusters Mars Attacks seems particularly bold and odd, it presents the arrival of extraterrestrial life not as something wondrous or profound but instead met with bored indifference by everyone, theres a sour bitterness to the film and it's view on the apathy of humanity that becomes more apparent with re-watches. In fact it is overall one of the most surprisingly nasty and subversive big budget movies of modern times, the galaxy of stars are given short shrift and variously decimated, mutilated, blasted and impaled by the movies real stars, the hilarious, giant craniumed martians, their merry mean spiritedness is infectious and darkly joyous. So while it has issues, when this movie gets going it's massive fun, visually brilliant and inventive, full of insanity, carnage, destruction and A-list death. It's viciously subversive, strange, ambitiously huge and just great.
May 6, 2017
There really isn't much to say about Mars Attacks!. It's fun & enjoyable for some people, and stupid & dumb for others. If you enjoy it, good for you. It takes a certain type of person to appreciate this type of humor. I hate Batman & Robin as a film, but it's definitely campy enough for me to enjoy watching for fun. If you're looking for a more grounded and serious film, then you probably won't enjoy Mars Attacks!.
April 28, 2017
This is a dumb, but fun flick to watch at least once.
April 8, 2017
This is creep territory with an absurd comedic bent. The martians are a funny, devious playful bunch coming to harvest the half-breeds they implanted on earth 100000 years ago. Funny, this storyline reminds me a more serious recent marvel movie. They were on Saturn though. Anyway, here we have a bunch of too smart martians that act like englishes coming to eat soylent green not without first playing with their food. Unfortunately, an unexpected flaw in their evolutionary design saves the earthians. Very creepy and a lot happens in Las Vegas, but I would mark this as must see, like all Tim Burton's films.
March 17, 2017
This movie was OK, but a little dumb and brainless at times. The action and effects were good, though. Good cast.