Mary Queen of Scots - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary Queen of Scots Reviews

½ December 15, 2018
Awful on every level - historical accuracy, script, acting. Preachy and predictable. Don´┐ 1/2(TM)t waste your money.
½ December 15, 2018
I enjoyed the movie despite reading reviews dissing some of the historical inaccuracies. Ms. Ronan's performance is Oscar-worthy.
December 14, 2018
Here's the thing about bias. A movie doesn't feel the same when someone has put a side to it, as it doesn't add anything to the story. The point of movies isn't just to spill information out to the viewer, but it's also for the viewer to make their own conclusions. You can still see this movie for Saorise Ronan and Margaret Robbie's performances, and the great script, but the story really weighs the whole thing down.
December 14, 2018
I didn't know Bess of Hardwick was CHINESE!
Was Chairman Mao ENGLISH?
December 12, 2018
The costumes were brilliant...filming locations were mediocre...however that's where the movie ends for me.

If you're looking for a historic movie..you're goi g to be a sadly disappointed. Elizabeth and Mary ever actually ever met in their life time, they never laid eyes on each other...they only corresponded through many letters to each other.

Elizabeth was in a constant state of paranoia about Mary taking the throne from her. Her advisers constantly whispering in her ear, putting the idea in her mind about having Mary executed. It was actually never Elizabeth's intention to kill Mary.

Mary actually only came to England once, because she was exiled from Scotland with no where else to go. While in England she would be captured and would remain on house arrest until her execution/beheading.

This movie is a bunch of fictional fluff and not historically accurate to what actually happened in English/British history! Someone failed to do their research before making this movie! Extremely disappointing!!!
December 12, 2018
Beautiful background and music. Bad casting and weird narrative.
½ December 12, 2018
This movie was, overall, royaly boring, and really not that cool totally thought Mary was more cool but high key lameeeee want money back
December 11, 2018
Why is there a Chinese and a black actors in a 16th century lily white Elizabethan England??? Is this a bad joke? Or wasn't there enough white actors to go around. What would be like putting a blond playing a Chinese character in a movie about the Ming dynasty or a white playing a black African in a movie about life and time of Shaka Zulu.
December 9, 2018
Saoirse Ronan is terrific in this version of the Mary Queen of Scots story...Margot Robbie as Elizabeth is also good and the two actresses keep the film worth watching even as the plot lurches between historical landmarks rather abruptly so that the motivations of the scheming men trying to control or depose Mary are not always clear from viewing. Still the actresses make this worth a watch.
½ December 9, 2018
Throughout the entire running time I couldn't help shake the feeling that the film might be improved by making Margot Robbie's Elizabeth more imposing by not actually showing her until the scene where she and Mary meet in person for the first time. Prior to that I found all scenes with Elizabeth to be mere vessels for exposition rather than anything of genuine character interest. For me the heart of this movie is far and away with it's title character played remarkably by Saoirse Ronan.
And while the film makes some bold moves with its portrayal of queer characters the whole thing almost feels a little too traditional to make the kind of splash it was hoping to. It is beautifully put together but still feels a little too much like your father's historical epic than a truly modern take on this story.
December 6, 2018
From the gorgeous costumes and Scotland's landscape, this movie is one worth seeking out. a little slow of a beginning trying to figure out who each of the male characters are and what role they have in the story but once a beginning plot starts moving along you are fully invested. Saoirse Ronan as Mary Stuart and Margot Robbie as Queen Elizabeth I elevate every word of the script. Saoirse's defiant character has a very modernist viewpoint and strength that is much needed in a period piece today. Josie Rourke's debut has stunning direction and purpose, showing how society has always pit women against one another. The final scenes make this film.
December 6, 2018
So interested in watching this film, I think it's gonna be great, great performances by Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie, this is the kind of subjects that I like in films, also that the film is produced by the same people that produced one of my last year's favorite films "Darkest Hour", I wish the best for Margot, Saoirse and Jossie.
December 6, 2018
Wait and see it streaming, it was a waste of my time to see this film in previews at a theater.Although Ronan and Robbie gave decent performances, it seemed to me that they were acting to an "epic film." which this film was not. I agree that the make-up and costumes were award-worthy, but the excessive set designs were just that - a distraction from the ridiculous cast of characters - e.g. 16th Century warring royal brutes with perfectly groomed hair and glowing skin? Ridiculous. If you want to see a great film with excessive set designs, see The Favourite, as the set designs fit the tenor of the film as well as the excesses of the characters, all who gave Oscar-worthy performances, unlike Ronan and Robbie (they were over acting). Very disappointed.
December 6, 2018
Well it's worth watching for Saiorse Ronan and Jack Lowden? using boxxy software
December 5, 2018
I can't wait to see this movie!
December 4, 2018
Two ugly Queens having a cat fight. No thanks, Il pass...
December 3, 2018
Margot Robbie as Queen Elizabeth I, alone is worth the price of admission.
December 1, 2018
Saw it and performance by Ronan and Robbie !!!!
December 1, 2018
A pupil of the Guy Ritchie school of filmmaking. Steal the identity of any historical personage or literary creation and make a few bucks. King Arthur raised in a London brothel. Hardly TH White. Mary Queen of Scots never met Queen Elizabeth. How do we know? We have the letters that were they say how disappointed they both were they never met. Doesn't the audience deserve an attempt at authenticity of real people's lives. The life of Mary Queen of Scots was incredibly dramatic. Apparently the filmmakers have even changed her accent from French to Scots. Probably not in sync with whatever Point they are peddling. These were real people. An attempt should be made at accurately portraying them.
November 30, 2018
Awesome looks good! It's something interesting what i can watch using boxxy software