Mary Queen of Scots - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary Queen of Scots Reviews

March 22, 2019
Handsomely lensed, genteelly staged and searingly rendered, this chronicle of the Rising of the North of 1569 is also dignified by regal performances from Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie as the rival cousins vying for monarchal rule of England in a period plagued by petty misogynism and devious masculinity.
March 20, 2019
Better than my feelings for it. Sadly forgettable.
½ March 19, 2019
Inaccurate history, and a terrible portrayal of Queen Elizabeth. Margot Robbie did her best, but when you take one of the greatest leaders of the British Isles and make her just wish she could be a mother...
½ March 17, 2019
Oh come on hollywood. Creeping in with your 2018 PC goof ideas in a 1500s period movie? Black men were not a part of the Scottish or English monarchy council or noblemen ambassadors! Thats like putting a white guy as tribe leader of an african tribe in 1500s. Its nonsense. They made Queen Mary an extreme progressive-liberal-feminist-lgbtq supporter in mid 1500s.....Laughable to the highest degree! Absolutely dishonourable to reality and history. Keep your political bias at home where they belong! Heck , its been butchered into a fictional fantasy not a re-enactment of history. May as well toss in wizards, dragons, unicorns and goblins into Scotland as well.

If you can get around this complete fictional baloney injected into the movie its not terrible.I liked a great deal of it. Good ending and tragedy but unrealistic to history at points .
March 17, 2019
La arrogancia e inocencia de Saoirse Ronan hace que la inseguridad de Margot Robbie quede en el aire como uno de los momentos mas leves de toda la historia, este retrato especifico se siente menos interesante cada ves que la informacion historica es presentada, realmente el refinado gusto en su diseƱo de produccion es el unico valor aceptable que tiene este relato dramatico que por muy bien construido que este no deja de ser una experiencia aburrida.
March 17, 2019
While I am all for ethnic & gender diversity in movies, I do feel when creating a historical period drama you should truly represent that time period accurate . Some of the casting was extremely jarring because of this and telly pulled me away from believing the movie . I am no history buff, but seeing these obvious inaccuracies made me also question how much more of the plot was also fabricated rather than being historically accurate.

That being said the two leads played the roles they were given extremely well, the pacing was fine, costumes, hair and make up looked great, and I was generally pretty entertained overall... a lot more than I have been with many other recent movies.
March 17, 2019
Vapid and dull. Terrible cinematography, poor acting by Ronin, who is much too weak to play a role like this, and lacking even a strong score. I'm a big fan of this time period, but this particular film about it was a flop. Margot Robie is a wonderful and highly capable actor, unlike Ronin, and even she couldn't save this film. Bad writing, bad direction, bad film work, bad everything. I'd skip this one
½ March 16, 2019
Horrid movie. It's plain awful. What a waste of money and time.
½ March 15, 2019
The acting was not bad with quite a few good moments but once again PC creeped into our escapism. Damn them for doing so. Damn them for doing history a disservice. Damn them.
March 15, 2019
An interesting take on the Tudor period. Ronan stares imperiously throughout while Robbie seems to be channeling both the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland and Queen Elizabeth from Blackadder 2. Some historical accuracy, some fictional bits.
½ March 14, 2019
While more effective when focusing on the royal intrigue than when trying to create a forced parallel between the two queens (in fact, the whole subplot involving Queen Elizabeth could be easily removed), this is a decent period drama that comes together quite well in the end.
March 11, 2019
Long, drawn out, and I feel with very little historical accuracy. Feels like they tried to throw some millennial feels into this thing.
½ March 11, 2019
Messy plot line, lost in translation. on the other hand excellent hair, if you like hair 10/10 recommend this movie. otheriwse big pass
March 11, 2019
Not only as this film inaccurate historically, overdramatized and lacking in honoring Mary's life, the make-up was a horrible distraction (Elizabeth did not resemble Pennywise in real life) and the costumes were cheaply made (low budget scramble?). I recognized some of the jewelry as coming from the $5.00 bins at local gem and jewelry show booths. Shame on them for putting something out there that sucked up our time and money on such a horrible production. I'm very well-educated on the British monarchy through the ages, and unfortunately, I can't unsee this ridiculous interpretation of Mary's story.
March 8, 2019
Story is not perfect, but the acting is EXCEPTIONAL.
March 7, 2019
A tad simplistic in delivery. Ronan and Robbie were very well matched and the deliveries were fantastic. Some of my fellow Scots performances were lamentable, namely Compston, Tennant and Lowden. They were seriously miscast. Watchable for the scenery alone.
March 7, 2019
Having watched this i found it a great insult to our history as hardly any of it was factual. Although blacks were in England at the time they held no high positions in the Queens court and neither did Elizabeth and Mary meet. Hollywood is a disgrace with forcing diversity and colour blind casting. How would POC feel if Martin Luther king was played by a white man?
½ March 6, 2019
An abomination. There was enough political differences in the era without inserting our politics. While I could overlook some of the blackwashing, the line is drawn when Bess of Hardwick, an English noblewoman, is portrayed as Asian. It's is no better than if a film about the great impi Shaka was played by Connor McGregor, or if Ghengis Khan would be portrayed as of British descent.
½ March 5, 2019
One of few movies i have ever watched rhat i could not finish.
Costumes and locations are amazing but are the only things that are food in the movie.
Dont bother.
½ March 5, 2019
people do NOT think there was PEOPLE OF COLOR,.. IN SCOTLAND IN TUDOR TIMES ,. AND YES THERE IS ,. LOOK AT THE MANY HISTORIC PAINTINGS and FACTS HISTORY READS ,.. AND YOU SEE THAT THERE IS SOME ,.. YES THEIR WAS ,.. PEOPLE NEED TO SEE MORE POC history facts ,.. so i love the costumes and story line is breathtaking ,..