Max Payne - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Max Payne Reviews

September 6, 2017
Max Payne is a pretty solid adaption of the hit video game franchise with Mark Wahlberg staying true to the title character. The film co-stars a familiar cast as well, like Mila Kunis as Mona Sax and Olga Kurylenko as Natasha.
September 4, 2017
This movie make me feeling as though um playing the actual game ..
August 31, 2017
DARK, MOODY and Stylistically Avenging in a Uniquely SURREAL piece of Art, not for the faint of heart.
½ August 26, 2017
This movie was just plain silly and illogical. I understand the source material, but to make the same story into a movie they really should have taken a whole new perspective to the source material. What works in a third person shooter video game as a plot device, doesn't really translate into a movie without a lot of rethinking.

One major problem with the movie was that pretty much everything anybody did in the movie was completely unbelievable. For example Max Payne was supposed to be a trained cop. Still he'd run into rooms just shooting aimlessly. For example it was really lucky her wife was not okay and standing beside the bed because she would have died right then and there. And it was not because he saw somebody because he entered that way also all empty rooms. Just shooting all over the place. You are supposed to see somebody, make recognition and only then shoot.

I wondered if that was a reference to player actions in the game, because I am sure many people there entered room with guns blazing. If so, then okay, I understand, but it should have maybe happened once and be commented by someone as to how ridiculous that is and we all could have just laughed about it. In fact, a little bit of humor as inside jokes to us players would have made the movie better. The movie took itself so very seriously which made it very strenuous to follow.

Very sad. I had hoped this movie be better than its reputation. :(
August 23, 2017
I guess its not better than the game :)
jamrcla
August 20, 2017
Not a bad film it did sort of use the same storyline as the game, But the first hour of the film was hard to follow at times, Not enough action for me but end of the day an ok film based on an ok game, Can't ask for much more than that.
August 17, 2017
Bad in too many ways to list, the only bright spot would be the screen of your TV shining on your eyes and the gunfire keeping you awake.
August 9, 2017
Love the whole idea of Valkyrie in a super natural movie Mark delivered as always
July 15, 2017
7/15/2017 (2): Meh. Pretty disappointing considering the really good cast. Very forgettable.
½ June 29, 2017
I hate when people put too much emphasis on the fact that the movie isn't like the game. Well obviously they're not going to do that and who wants them to. Look at Resident Evil. Aside from the zombies they all have their own unique story line. So it's no different here they took the game and made it their own which is what they should do. When I go to see a movie that is also a game I go with an open mind, because I know it's not going to be the game. Just look at Mortal Kombat. They tried too hard to be the game and it ruined the movie. So thank you for going your own way and making a really good movie here. If I want the game then I will rent it.
May 14, 2017
It's better to play Max Payne than to watch it. Trust me, it's such a pain to watch.
April 23, 2017
I'm late seeing this movie but I thought it was good. Good action and I liked the darkness to it.
February 24, 2017
A decent cast, some okay action and a couple of neat visuals are not enough to overcome a bland plot, shallow characters, poor script and a film as a whole that passes by with barely an impression. Just another video game movie adaption that fails on practically every level which is a shame since the games have a lot more to offer.
February 3, 2017
Not a good movie to watch
January 25, 2017
Policial tenta descobrir quem matou sua esposa e fica obcecado, sendo que ele acaba descobrindo que militares tomavam drogas para ter super poderes, e ao chegar bem prximo de descobrir quem estava envolvido descobre que seu amigo acabou matando sua esposa em razo de ela ter questionado o uso desta drogas nos militares....
January 24, 2017
It could be an okay film if:
1, It wouldn't get hyped up as a Max Payne movie adaptation
2. Nothing supernatural
3. Better main villain
December 19, 2016
Different expectations from the original game. The plot almost the same, but are added pieces that do not count for anything. Revenge seems fanciful in which you lose the true interpretation of the usual bad boy Mark Wahlberg
½ November 29, 2016
There is nothing here that does the video game justice! What the hell were they thinking!? Mila Kunis was not Mona Sax! All she did for most of the film was stand around with a vacuous expression on her face! Not even her beauty was enough to give a poor performance! Marky Mark was not a convincing Max Payne either!
C'mon, if you going through the effort to make a dark noire type of
action film, don't you think you would try and add the right atmosphere and substance in order to make us care about what happens in this story, or, lack there of!? My number one worst film of 2008! That's another ten bucks I will never get back!°~,¡°~,¡
October 22, 2016
A movie that just didn't catch my attention at all maybe if I would of had another glass of whiskey I would've actually been more entertained ???? the story was just boring af BUT mark looked stunningly handsome as always ?? great cast ????
½ October 12, 2016
It's a glass of whiskey with flashes of brilliance, but it's been watered-down by what I have a hunch is studio meddling. This is a prime example of the makers not quite understanding the property they purchased.

That being said, I can't deny that the action was tremendous, and Mark Wahlberg appears to be trying.