The Mexican - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mexican Reviews

October 1, 2016
Liked it ! Funny with Pittulia , SOMDVD
½ April 26, 2016
Funny, well-directed, could be too long and a bit confusing at some stage. Still good though.
½ November 22, 2015
with an awesome cast......i feel it was well done.
September 20, 2015
gr8 cast makes this one go
July 5, 2015
Bring your willingness to go along with his hilarious road movie and you will be rewarded. Brad Pitt demonstrates his range as the hapless, hopeless main character who bumbles his way through the underworld. James Gandolfini plays a stereotype busting hitman and Julai Roberts adds some fiery punch to the central love trist. Throw in magnificent mangy mutt cameo and you have a fun way to spend a Sunday night.
½ June 29, 2015
I'd give this thirty percent if I was stupid. As it stands it gets fifteen. Brad should have run like hell when asked to do this.
½ June 7, 2015
Very funny and quite original. Pitt, Roberts, and Gandolfini were all great.
May 29, 2015
That brad Pitt, he's something else! Nice characters.
½ May 18, 2015
Un divertido filme que entretiene y posee una buena química entre sus dos protagonistas, pero recae en el factor montaña rusa, es decir, te emocionas por momentos y en otros te aburres.
Pero lo admito, encontré momentos hilarantes en este filme.
Adecuada para verla un sábado por la mañana.
May 14, 2015
Pitt is funny enough here, but there really isn't much too it. The Mexican lacks any real story and feels a bit too disjointed to make sense.
½ May 9, 2015
The only reason to bother with watching this movie is James Gandolfini who is excellent playing a role well out of stereotype with his normal roles. But even that can't save this mess.
½ March 9, 2015
3/9/2015: An ok movie. An amazing cast and Pitt was funny.
January 29, 2015
OK, so you take a movie and cast two of the biggest stars in Hollywood..and then you barely put them in any scenes together! That pretty much sets the tone for this one. The quirky parts feel awkward and the action/suspenseful parts are just plain boring. James Gandolfini is awesome, but that's not enough to sit through this one.
½ January 28, 2015
Grade:Low 7/10

The Mexican is a film that although is never rated that highly, I felt
it was kind of good and was enjoyable even with it's flaws that cropped
up a lot. With an average acting performance and a basic script you'd
be right if you didn't have much expectation going into this, but just
give it a chance and it can fully enjoyed by all film fans. I
personally felt it was Pretty Good and here below is why I, but many
other didn't, felt that way.

The story is slow and then kind of fast and fluxuate's between both
varied pacing, the plot isn't all that exciting either but it makes for
very watchable film and just give it a chance and you may be
entertained by this. The film has about 50 scenes where you think it
will end but it never does, frustrating yes but I did feel the film was
worth watching, even after going through so many end parts to the
movie.

Brad Pitt is average in this and although he does nothing to harm the
film necessarily he doesn't really ever take a firm hold on the piece.
Julia Roberts and James Gandolfini work together well and although
Roberts as with Pitt isn't at her best, Gandolfini show's off his
talents with beautiful ease and although this film is unknown these
days, Gandolfini was just brilliant. I didn't care much for support
though which did harm the film with stale performances, luckily they
aren't seen as much as the main cast at all.

Gore Verbinski in the directing role does a job that is fairly good,
but is not his best and knowing what he can sometimes do, he fails with
this and the positives of the film are not down to him. I felt one part
of the film that I personally loved was the setting with some camera
shots being doubly beautiful due to location, one great example is
where Pitt is crossing a crossroads and looking each way, great camera
work with a great locality to match.

The film is too long and stretches too much to be considered a straight
good film, although it does a good job with the majority of the story,
it just falters towards the end and as I said with the multiple
possible endings it just can annoy you. The acting also as previously
mentioned is poor all round and sometimes it feels like a slight comedy
but just manages to avoid being funny as well. Not much more to say
negativity way but if you see for yourself, I am sure you may find more
bad things than I did.

It is hard to say who will like this, people who enjoy fun adventures
may enjoy this because it is quite fun, not a stable film by any
stretch of the imagination but excitable all the same. Pitt fans won't
like this too much as he doesn't get to well, act, and Roberts is the
same and seems they were put together as the stars but never see each
other in the story. Don't watch it if you don't want to watch a long
film with little new to offer, but watch it in a good mood and it is
enjoyable.

Overall a low 7/10, many many people give it lower but I really did feel it
was Firmly Kind of Good and as I have said all the way through this
review, the film is genuinely a fun one, with lots to offer too. Watch
it as I say in a good mood because once you overlook the more serious
parts of the film, the more light hearted parts become fun and can be
enjoyed, given you open your mind a bit and stop thinking about this
critically.
January 4, 2015
I saw it because my friend Dylan said his mom is in this movie.
November 19, 2014
Promises a road movie of blissful comic romance and delivers a series of dramatic dead ends.
October 27, 2014
A gay Gandolfini -worth it.
May 28, 2014
I did not know what to expect from The Mexican, but a duo like Brad Pitt and Julia Robrets sounded interesting enough to check out.

The Mexican is very misleading because the cover of the film suggests that it is a romantic comedy which is focused on a relationship between characters played by Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts. But one of the most common criticisms of the film is the fact that the two of them do not share enough screen time. The handful of screen time they share reveals the fact that they do enjoy acting with each other and can establish a good chemistry. But in no time their characters go off in different directions and the film splits its potential down the middle, dividing it into two stories which run simultaneously.
Most of Brad Pitt's screen time follows a lame crime comedy theme about him attempting to search for a weapon in a story that is obviously supposed to be a mix of western, road movie and comedy. But it isn't funny, it isn't interesting and above all it isn't entertaining. It just deviates very far from the idea of being a romantic comedy so much that it essentially forgets that it is supposed to be one in parts. Brad Pitt is a capable foil and he works with the material just fine, but his material does not live up to the credibility of his acting talent and ends up just wasting his time and ours. It's not his fault, it's the fault of J.H. Wyman for being unable to actually craft a good script which leaves everybody to ponder around wondering what the point of everything actually is, without having enough crime or comedy for it to feel like anything more than a spoof movie attempting to take itself seriously. And this novelty wears off really fast, although it is the only thing that's any fast in the excessively long and slow spectacle that The Mexican actually is.
But what's worse is Julia Roberts' story. Her story is mostly about her journeying on the road with a man whom she makes rape jokes with and flirts with, spending most of the time b*tching about her ex-boyfriend. Julia Roberts is a good actress,, but in The Mexican she gets annoying pretty fast because her script lines are so damned repetitive and give her nothing to work with. Her character requires for her to be going in circles and saying the same basic things again and again. There ends up being no more comic value in this than there was in Brad Pitt's story. Frankly, there is nothing interesting in terms of storytelling in The Mexican except for people who genuinely hate western movies and want to see just how sloppily they can be made when given a misguided story and lacklustre direction as well as a distinct lack of humour.
Gore Verbinski cannot save The Mexican, and the only thing that he contributes to the film is its visual style. While Gore Verbinksi does manage to make The Mexican look good by implementing in a lot of nice scenery as well as capturing it with a lot of different cinematography techniques, he doesn't do anything to save the story from falling into the unfunny territory that it has been written to the limits to. The problem is that a lot of the time I can't even tell if things in the movie are supposed to be funny. At times I can tell that they're trying to make jokes but I never laughed, but more of the time I kept asking "where are the jokes?" because despite the light nature of The Mexican, I could not find all that many joke sin there. The Mexican is either bereft of humour or simply bereft of good jokes in general, but either way it is poor form and hardly entertaining.
The Mexican is simply nothing. It wants to be a romantic comedy, a crime comedy and a western comedy but it constantly jumps back and fourth between all the genres with a scattered story and a distinct lack of fun. There isn't anything to take in from The Mexican and there is very little to enjoy, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except for the fans of the most generic Julia Roberts comedies or the biggest fans of Brad Pitt.
The performances of the lead two actors are the only reasons that the film is any good.
Brad Pitt deserves a lot better than the material he gets in The Mexican, but his natural comedic charisma proves to be energetic. I haven't seen him in much comedy material before, but in The Mexican he actually takes the opportunity seriously and breathes a lot of comedic life into his part. If anybody was going to laugh at The Mexican, it is less likely to be for the quality of the material and more likely due to the fact that Brad Pitt himself is in the role. Brad Pitt's natural energy makes The Mexican more appealing, and his chemistry with the other actors is terrific so it works as a front for his talents if nothing else.
Julia Roberts is also a capable foil. Although the character that she is stuck with proves to be a very repetitive one, she lets her natural energy take over and does what she does best in a romantic comedy. Eventually she grows likable, and her line delivery is energetic. Depending on how much you like Julia Roberts, The Mexican could be the film for you. And although I couldn't handle the lacklustre script and what little attempts at humour there was, I was able to get a kick out of Julia Roberts' effort in the lead role in The Mexican. She is a genial presence.

But despite the comedic efforts of the two lead actors, they receive too little screen time together and material that is excessively weak against an overly long and slow paced comedy which is bereft of originality or laughs.
½ May 23, 2014
Tries too hard to be cool. Instead it mostly just seems silly, and dull.

Initial plot set-up was fairly interesting and had potential. However, it quickly degenerated into inane farce and/or pointless sub-plots.

Director Gore Verbinski (director of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, so you already know the movie is going to be more style than substance) seems intent on channeling Quentin Tarantino: cool quips and nonchalance while in the middle of incredible danger and violence. Instead, he misses the mark and the movie just feels lame. Leave the cool stuff to Tarantino, Mr Verbinski.

Star-studded cast: Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, James Gandolfini, JK Simmons, Bob Balaban, Gene Hackman. They do their best but are hamstrung by the script and direction.