A Mighty Wind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Mighty Wind Reviews

½ August 29, 2016
Even though the format is very similar to previous entries in the series, A Mighty Wind still brings its own to the table, with hilarious humour - and genuinely pleasant message. The music is solid and catchy, the cast is pitch-perfect as before, and the comedy is once again on fire.
Verdict: A-
½ July 22, 2016
Funny and lovely. This should definitely be considered a classic. I feared the music would be annoying, but instead it was delightful, while still room for plenty of parody.
July 22, 2016
Another solid effort by the Christopher Guest crew.
May 2, 2016
Highly rated comedies are not something you come over every day. This seemed like a good flick, a mockumentary about folk music. We follow a family as they try to get some bands together for a memorial gig for a recently deceased consert promoter. Many faces on screen but the fun is rearly present. It's too dull, too simple. For instance they throw in a dude in drag that sing with a man voice. That's not very funny.

I never like the music, I never feel the story. I was quite bored. One of few hights here are all the known faces that I have seen in random films and series on other occasions. Some of them deliver, Eugene Levy best of them all. Possibly made for an older audience or something, I certainly found little joy here.

4 out of 10 banjos.
April 2, 2016
Christopher Guest's masterpiece. You get the sense that while he's mocking elements of the folk music scene, he ultimately loves the genre and these characters. Everything with Mitch and Mickey is so perfect I can't help but get moved to tears.
½ February 18, 2016
This a bunch of talented comedians, including the Spinal Tap cast, having a pop at folkies. Done in documentary style, it's a pretty funny film. One that I think you would get more out of each time you watch it. Quite underrated.
June 29, 2015
Fun watch with dead pan humor,not up to Guffman or best in Show but still funny.
March 11, 2015
My second favorite Mockumentaries !
January 29, 2015
There's enough hilarity to overcome the lack of plot, and some great comedic performances as well. Full review later.
October 22, 2014
Interesting entry in Guest's improvised movies. The music is terrific, however there is a dramatic weight that detracts from the comedy. The whole Mitch and Mickey plot becomes heartbreaking rather than humorous.
September 12, 2014
Just not that interested in this movie. :(
September 9, 2014
This is the third Christopher Guest movie I have seen and I am just enjoying them all. It isn't as good as Best in Show but I just love that he uses the same cast. O'Hara, Shearer, Levy, Lynch, and Willard are all great. The musical numbers are great especially the title track "A Mighty Wind"
September 6, 2014
Llolmlgwikjxjhqmymieebirmi
Jumpylcez
July 17, 2014
This is a perfect example of a movie which isn't quite a success , through little fault of its own. The bar has been set so high by Spinal Tap, Guffman and Best in Show that the pantheon can't be reached. This movie is funny at times and surprisingly sweet, but its just too mild a chili. It has some standout moments, its definitely worth seeing, but it isn't to the level of its predecessors.
June 23, 2014
not particularly funny but has its moments
½ April 20, 2014
Boooooring. I was expecting at least a few laughs but it didn't happen. My grandmother might have enjoyed it but I think she would have enjoyed the nap she undoubtedly would have taken even more.
April 8, 2014
It's OK but not great. The acting is good, but I wasn't a big fan of the writing. I liked "Best In Show" (done by the same people) much better.
½ March 20, 2014
Funny!!
Everyone in this movie is very musically talented. I had no idea that Eugene Levy could sing, much less as well as he does. I was so impressed with all of their singing AND playing skills. Which made this movie even more enjoyable. They all play off each other so well.
Shot "documentary" style, this "spoof" on folk music and its craze is very well done and absolutely hilarious in parts. Highly enjoyable!!
March 12, 2014
Watched this recently as it has been a while. I forget how damn funny this is. I could watch these guys in anything. Parker Posey rocks. AND from Mississippi! :)
½ February 20, 2014
It takes awhile to get going and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but once the colorful cast of characters come together for the big climax, the laughs amp up, and it's hard not to admire the care and determination to produce such a convincing mockumentary. Although I'm not into folk music so much, it was still amusing to see the clash of some has-beens with a newer generation of performers while poking fun at some of the tropes that plague the genre's history. Fans of that particular type of music or people who grew up with it will probably get more enjoyment out of the film, but it's still an immensely well made and intelligent comedy.