Milk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Milk Reviews

October 20, 2016
I cried for a full minute during the credits. I just cannot believe how people in our species are such complete and utter inhuman pieces of shit.
½ October 15, 2016
History has depicted in brilliance. But wish too much exploit on sex had not been in the limelight
October 2, 2016
Civil rights movies always stir feelings within me, and occasionally make me shed a tear. It's amazing the amount of struggle humans have with themselves. Whoever is right, ultimately, needs to sacrifice a LOT before things could potentially change. Whether it's for skin colour, religion, gender, sexual preference, or even animal rights (the next step). A+ movie.
September 20, 2016
Powered by Sean Penn's riveting performance, Milk presents a compelling story that focused on something that is still relevant to this day, even when its first half goes on for too long.
September 9, 2016

I'm a sucker for politics.
August 30, 2016
Milk is based on a true story about the first openly gay politician to win a political race in the US government. Harvey Milk played by Sean Pean gave a great performance and definitely deserved an Oscar. This was a good movie with a wonderful cast. I would definitely recommend it.
½ August 13, 2016
Historically skewed as fuck. Solid movie otherwise with good performances (mostly Penn and Brolin), and seems to represent Harvey well. Dan White was represented really inaccurately though and made what could be a really powerful movie come off as kind of cheap. *Spoilers* White has enough to be critical of while staying true to history without completely changing his motives to make it about his "repressed homosexuality." Come on, why? Undermines the righteousness of what was being done here otherwise.
August 10, 2016
I think Sean Penn is our generation's greatest actor, and worst political actor. Another powerful performance by Penn in another heartbreaking but uplifting American tale of the struggle for equal rights for still maligned gay Americans.
½ July 26, 2016
One of the many major issues in America long ago involved homosexuality. San Francisco was one of the main places in America were homosexual activity and injustice was taking place. One man decided to take a stand be sort of the MLK of the gay community and that was Harvey Milk. Milk was an intelligent and willing leader and he did what needed to be done for his community and he did it in politics. It's a shame Harvey didn't get to continue his fight but many people have in his stead. In the film Milk Sean Penn embodies all of that in a rare role where he plays a leader of what was considered and outcasted group of folks in the bay area.
The movie first begins by looking at Harvey's early love relationship with Scott Smith before showing him meeting his political team which included Cleve Jones. As the film shows the other famous moments in his life such as becoming the first gay San Francisco Supervisor and well as his relationship with Supervisor Dan White, we also see Harvey recording a well during his final days before his assassination.
The film was absolutely excellent. the films acting was exceptional from several people in the cast. sean penn was superb here as Harvey Milk. He portrays such a optimistic and strong willed character in Harvey Milk. Such a revolutionary leader here. james franco and emile Hirsch really go for it here in their roles. tremendous work from both of them. Josh Brolin was excellent as dan white. it seemed Dan kinda hated Harvey not because of his homosexuality but because of how much he rose to power and how much he changed a culture in San Francisco while he fell off the map and couldn't make his way back
the film is edited real nicely and I liked the usage of historical real footage mixed in with the film's reality. interesting lighting usage here.
Gus Van Sant does his best directorial work since good will hunting. he is so truthful with his telling of this time where gays needed someone to step up and fight for the right to get gays the equality they deserve. great camera work from him too. the revolution was in full effect here. Harvey gave them the spark and hope they needed to push on with that. It was pretty sad seeing the assassination at the end.
I truly believe Harvey would be smiling ear to ear if he was alive to see how far we've come with equal gay rights today. I mean now every state now allows legal gay marriage. He would be proud I think. Anyway go see Milk you will not be disappointed.
July 19, 2016
Felt more like a documentary than a movie, even if it was acted well.
July 7, 2016
Penn is magnificent and, while I liked it a lot it still kept me wanting more. That's not such an awful thing, I guess.
June 27, 2016
I can honestly say, since I wasn't born, that I knew nothing about Harvey Milk prior to watching this film.  It was so great to see such a pioneer for gay rights especially in the 70s.  Even though I knew from the beginning what would happen there's still no preparing for the shock of seeing someone gunned down in cold blood.  I applaud the actual Harvey Milk for all he did and I thank the filmmakers for bringing this to modern audiences who may not have known about it before.  "I ask this... If there should be an assassination, I would hope that five, ten, one hundred, a thousand would rise. I would like to see every gay lawyer, every gay architect come out - - If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door... And that's all. I ask for the movement to continue. Because it's not about personal gain, not about ego, not about power... it's about the "us's" out there. Not only gays, but the Blacks, the Asians, the disabled, the seniors, the us's. Without hope, the us's give up - I know you cannot live on hope alone, but without it, life is not worth living. So you, and you, and you... You gotta give em' hope... you gotta give em' hope."  Highly recommended.  Oh yeah and Anita does suck.
June 25, 2016
Sean Penn in his most likable, most compassionate performance ever.
June 25, 2016
Wonderfully moving story of Harvey Milk's rise to political activist, first openly gay person to be elected to public office and, sadly, martyr for the cause. Excellent cast, particularly Sean Penn, who does a wonderful job with the role. This film is a plea against prejudice for anyone who is different, because, in our own individual way, we all are.
June 11, 2016
This is such an amazing movie and even a better true story!
½ June 10, 2016
Empowering and never preachy, "Milk" highlights a fearless and influential human rights figure with a movie that holds a genuine indie-drama nuance.
½ May 19, 2016
Very historically accurate and well performed by Penn and others.
May 15, 2016
The acting was incredible, although the movie seemed too much like a series of countless 1-3 minute scenes after another. No scene really stuck with me too much. But actor after actor delivered - specifically Sean Penn, Emile Hirsch and James Franco. To be honest, however, I do not get the hype about Josh Brolin's performance - seemed mediocre to me.
½ April 27, 2016
A smart, well-spoken, brilliant input on the overcoming of bigotry that took place in the 70s, and a lesson in the bigotry that is still present today. Milk is a powerful film based on the life and politics of Harvey Milk. As uplifting as it is heart-wrenching, this film is beautifully directed, filmed, and acted. Sean Penn provides us with by far his greatest performance of his expansive career. Milk is an essential watch for everyone in the world, and allows us to see that we, as a society, must be equal. Equality is key to a kind, loving, and powerful town, state, nation, and world. Milk perfectly outlines that that is what we must do to achieve greatness in our a community. A near perfect political drama.
½ April 11, 2016
powerful and emotional with great directorial taste