Milk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Milk Reviews

July 12, 2017
Amazing film. Terrific performances, strong script, and excellent use of documentary and news footage to ground everything in reality and fact.
½ July 2, 2017
Fantastic film! Slow at parts, but wonderful altogether. Sean Penn is brilliant in his role and the film is beautifully shot. It is an inspiration to the gay rights movement and it is a must watch.
½ June 29, 2017
The story of Harvey Milk, as he is elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, becoming the first openly gay man to be voted into public office in America in 1977. One of the most intelligent LGBT-related movies of all time concerning the successful and then tragic story of this politician, excellently portrayed by Sean Penn, for which he WON an Academy Award. This moving and extraordinary film won 2 of 8 Oscar nominations.
June 9, 2017
A hilarious performance by Sean Penn
½ June 8, 2017
Van Sant's work ranks among the finest of his career while Penn's performance takes its place among the best of all time.

Being a Christian and also a filmmaker, I see a lot of people in my community putting walls up against this film (and all films that portray the LGBTQ community - the best of which also come from Van Sant) unjustly. This is a film for all people who are encouraged by stories of liberation from abuse.

It is rousing, inspiring, beautiful, heartfelt, heart-breaking, and deeply moving. Gus Van Sant is an important figure in the world of American indie cinema, and he always will be. This is the type of work that cements one's legacy in the history books.
½ May 18, 2017
Milk is a fairly straightforward look at a moment in history, and how one man sought to make his mark on it. The movie does a great job of showing us what happened, because I felt like I was getting a legitimate history lesson about how this came to pass.

It was a truly harrowing time for homosexuals, but Milk does a good job showing how they were able to band together in order to show their strength. The film also does a good job of showing most of the opposition in film clips, so instead of dramatizing to accentuate their "villainy," they just let history speak for itself.

I struggled a lot with all the indecision there seemed to be from the filmmakers on how much focus would go on Harvey Milk's personal life. At times they connect his relationship and his battle to make a change, then at other times the whole movie stops so we can spend a moment talking to the boyfriend.

I think Milk is an important biopic that tries to make it clear how difficult the struggle has been from the very beginning for homosexuals to attain even the most basic of rights. While I think it had some flaws, and it ends on a tough emotional note, it is a movie I'm glad I have seen. It tells details of a story that I didn't know much about before.
½ May 17, 2017
Sean Penn shines as Harvey Milk, possibly the greatest gay rights activist to ever live. The film deservedly earned eight Oscar nominations with Penn winning for Best Actor. It also gained a win for Best Original Screenplay. This is one of those laugh, cry, think films that may not change your mind but it will touch your heart. Penn is brilliant and the supporting players are spot on also. Final Score: 9.2/10
May 2, 2017
Not the most entertaining watch. Either he was really this way, or the filmmaker did a poor job of showing Harvey Milk's full political spectrum, focusing solely on his gay rights movement. I'm speculating here, but for his historic rise, I think he had to earn the votes from people in many other arenas as well. But here, he's painted as the hailed gay superhero who revolutionized said culture in San Francisco. I just don't buy it. I'm sure he had plenty of influence in other topics that weighted heavily in his campaign as well. If not, it's not exactly vote-worthy. Anyway, it picks up in the second half, as the seedier Castro neighborhood gets pushed aside, or into the background, for a more political atmosphere. Sean Penn did a good job portraying Milk as a likeable guy, kind and caring to most, including his adversaries. Too PDA'ed in the beginning, but most turned in good performances all around.
April 17, 2017
true story about Harvey milk, a politician who changed the laws for gay rights. Great performance from Sean Penn who won best actor
½ March 25, 2017
I think I remember this kind of but not really. Boring and predictable.
½ February 25, 2017
This is a wonderful biopic of Harvey Milk's life. I highly recommend watching it!
½ December 17, 2016
This is what a biopic should be. Rather than preaching and shocking trying to make a martyr of the main character, this film is a celebration of not only Harvey Milk's life and message, but also of his peers and supporters and the gay community in general. The crafting of this film is excellent, letting even the viewers who have never heard of Milk before know where the film is heading. Sean Penn has a couple "I Am Sam" moments, but overall his performance is extraordinary. Kudos to this film. And God bless Harvey Milk.
½ December 5, 2016
There are very few things in a film that I reject outright and one is revisionist history, delivered by a flagrant hypocrite no less. In 1978, San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and City Supervisor Harvey Milk were assassinated by fellow City Supervisor Dan White. How can this film be made without one mention of Jim Jones and the 'Peoples Temple' (yes, Jim Jones notorious for the spiked 'Kool-Aid' mass murder that killed over 900 people and occurred 10 days before the assassination of Milk/Moscone) whom Milk and Moscone relied heavily on for local support and votes, which Moscone rewarded by appointing Jim Jones to the city of SF Housing Authority. Why is the fact that Milk rose to the rank of Lt. while serving in Korea never mentioned? Why is the fact that Milk actually worked on Barry Goldwater's Republican Pres campaign in 1964 before switching political affiliations omitted? Propaganda, pure and simple delivered by an actor who plays Milk as a caricature, not a character (think 'Coffee Tawlk') and it's tough to swallow dialogue regarding the greatness of the United States and its Constitution from an actor that exhibits a vocal and unabashed disrespect for both in private life. Gus Van Sant knows by now how to assemble the various components of film to make a whole but he and his writer fail everyone by cherry-picking history. Penn, Hirsch and Luna are ingratiating but James Franco acts well. This is no 'Best Picture', this is an insult to anyone who has even a casual interest in US political history. If California is determined to push a tolerance agenda to the voters in their state in movie form, they may want to consider different role models.
½ November 2, 2016
The fall of San Francisco into a liberal hell hole. Milk is a politically charged propaganda film that brands everyone gay for the sake of political correctness. Penn's performance for such an unlikable role was incredible but there's nothing else to really make this memorable. It was long and dreadful, definitely avoid.
October 20, 2016
I cried for a full minute during the credits. I just cannot believe how people in our species are such complete and utter inhuman pieces of shit.
½ October 15, 2016
History has depicted in brilliance. But wish too much exploit on sex had not been in the limelight
October 2, 2016
Civil rights movies always stir feelings within me, and occasionally make me shed a tear. It's amazing the amount of struggle humans have with themselves. Whoever is right, ultimately, needs to sacrifice a LOT before things could potentially change. Whether it's for skin colour, religion, gender, sexual preference, or even animal rights (the next step). A+ movie.
September 20, 2016
Powered by Sean Penn's riveting performance, Milk presents a compelling story that focused on something that is still relevant to this day, even when its first half goes on for too long.
September 9, 2016
9.5/10

I'm a sucker for politics.
August 30, 2016
Milk is based on a true story about the first openly gay politician to win a political race in the US government. Harvey Milk played by Sean Pean gave a great performance and definitely deserved an Oscar. This was a good movie with a wonderful cast. I would definitely recommend it.