Miss Representation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miss Representation Reviews

May 16, 2017
There are some interesting things here, but they are sadly lost in this clumsily-edited huddle of talking heads and randoms opinions instead of being supported by solid arguments from people with qualification who could discuss these issues in depth and with a lot more consistency.
January 1, 2017
This movie brings many societal problems into light that need to be addressed. I found it extremely informative and I believe it should be watched by all young girls. In the wake of the 2016 presidential election, I found the political commentary of this film to be extremely relevant.
½ October 28, 2016
A pretty lame documentary which has a valid message but fails to get it across in an effective way.
September 27, 2016
This documentary was very informative and I think it's extremely important for young girls to watch. Though I found it slightly inclusive it still hits on many key points of feminism and why feminism is important. It also simply puts how problematic the representation of women in media is, which I think is EXTREMELY important.
September 24, 2016
This movie is great for young women all around the world and is something I will be showing to my children, no matter their sex.

I will say however, that this documentary is full of facts, and if unprepared, you will be missing a lot of hard hitting statistics that add to the story of this movie. Unfortunately, a star was docked because of how much facts there were in this documentary. There were times where I felt extremely overwhelmed by the statistics so you have been warned!

What struck me most about this documentary however, is that while it is 2016 and this movie is already 5 years old, very little has changed from the information they stated. i.e. women are still misrepresented in main stream media. And even though we now have a female presidential nominee, there are still media outlets targeting her based on her appearance and not her competence. Regardless of the example, many of the things said in this movie still applies today, which is why this movie/documentary is still extremely relevant and necessary.
September 22, 2016
Miss Representation does an excellent job of highlighting what is wrong with how media depicts women in society and how debilitating the media's messages to women and girls are. It shows how much pressure is put on women and girls to look and act a certain way and as a result, they are not appreciated for their intellectual abilities. Important to note, is that media places a women's value in her body. Miss Representation supports the notion that children learn through what they see in the media and their parents do as well. It shows that as media models how girls are supposed to look and act, that will only be reinforced throughout society in the workplace, in school, and even at home. If the media continues to showcase the images of females that it has been for years, girls will continue to be judged for how sexy they are and what mood they are in. A clip from "The O'Reilly Factor" with a guest commentator (male) shows the guest's very clear opinion that a woman cannot be in the oval office because of PMS and mood swings. Just from this one clip, the documentary shows that there is an even bigger problem in society for women in addition to the extreme pressure to attain a very specific ideal image of beauty. A female's biology is also scrutinized. In addition to society's aversion to a female's reproductive system, by expecting a female to have a flat stomach (one of many expectations) society is essentially taking away her uterus.
Miss Representation also places importance on the fact that men who are exposed to images of females in the media learn to compare women who they meet to those images. They learn to expect from women what the media expects from them.
Overall, the documentary does an effective job of showing that media's portrayal of gender is a problem. And since this documentary has been produced, I am sad to see that there has been very little change.
½ September 21, 2016
The film Miss Representation accurately portrays women being shown as sexual objects in todays society. If we aren't careful in how we portray women in a negative sexualized way than women won't be taken seriously and it will make it more difficult for them to get high power jobs to try and make a change in how humans view modern day women!
April 22, 2016
This ended up being a lot more depressing than I was expecting. It sucks to be reminded that gender equality still has a long way to go.
½ March 14, 2016
Interesting documentary that I had to watch for a class.
February 4, 2016
please, do yourself a favor and don't watch this
January 21, 2016
Remember Claudette Colbert, Lana Turner, Vivien Leigh, Rita Hayworth, Joan Fontaine, Ingrid Bergman, Betty Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Ida Lupino, Ginger Rogers, Olivia de Havilland, Deborah Kerr, Marlene Dietrich, Audrey Hepburn, Eva Gardner, Lauren Bacall, Grace Kelly, Katherine Hepburn, Liz Taylor, Shelley Winters, etc etccc.. ?...
½ November 19, 2015
This documentary is extremely vital to today's society. Not only is it a wake up call for people everywhere, it will especially help females who are struggling with their image and being informed they aren't alone out there. The facts presented up front are life changing, this changed some views I had on society completely. This is an important film that everyone in this day and age need to see. A-
August 21, 2015
Very glad I took my son to see it.
½ July 29, 2015
Really interesting movie, hmmm now what network will show it?
May 22, 2015
Important, powerful documentary.
March 22, 2015
Was a great view on how woman are judged and exploited in society. All pre teen and teens need to watch this
½ January 23, 2015
Actress turned filmmaker, Jessica Congdon, takes a hard look at the underwhelming representation of women in the media in America. Featuring interviews with noted female figures in politics, the media and business she explores the still evident glass ceiling and the double standards women face in terms of their looks and persona.
The subject is close to the director's heart, inspired by learning that the child she is carrying is female, but as a documentary this fell a little short for me. The screen is constantly bombarded with facts and figures and Congdon spends a great deal of time illustrating the issue, but hardly any coming up with solutions to the problem.
A very worthy film that would do well to be shown in schools, but I learned nothing new here.
October 16, 2014
A great eye opening look at how women are looked upon and treated in the U. S.
July 31, 2014
The most eye opening documentary I've ever seen. Worth all the time in the world, and a must see for everybody. Could not recommend it more highly.
July 7, 2014
Here's a great documentary for women to make them even angrier about how women are portrayed in the media.