The Mist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mist Reviews

½ November 25, 2016
The ending is one of the most dramatic I've seen in a long time.... maybe ever
November 25, 2016
My fourth favorite movie of all time. The only negative, but only to let extreme horror fans know, is that there's not as much scary stuff or fighting the creatures. For me, I think there was just the right amount, not that I wouldn't have been ok with more. Everything else is outstanding, Frank Darabont is officially one of my top favorite directors and writers, and I couldn't believe where the movie went. If you aren't interested in seeing it, just look up what Stephen King said about it.
November 24, 2016
Wow... Seriously very disappointing. I don't know what to say about it. Other than if you want to depress yourself The Mist is a good dose for you. No plot, insinuates no meaning to life, and the ending is quite inappropriate. Don't bother with it.
November 21, 2016
Often eclipsed by the twist ending, I believe this film has much more to offer. The central themes of panic in the face of disaster, the disaster syndrome of what needs to be done in a crisis, and of course the danger of mass hysteria and religious extremism. So many people leave feeling like they don't know what to think of it because of the ending, which is taken on a life of its own, that it ruins the movie for most. I say, the ending is not relevant compared to the themes it presents in the narrative.
November 2, 2016
A great horror and well worth your time to watch. The Critic and Audience score should be in the mid 70s to low 80s.
October 29, 2016
A creepy suspenseful movie. This movie has great effects, and plot line. Also it has an amazing ending. This movie is gross in every way. I just wish the charecters were smarter. They weren't incredibly wise on what to do in this type of situation. Besides that this movies great!
½ October 29, 2016
Watchable B movie, slow to start but builds in tension. Not sure about the ending.
½ October 26, 2016
I don't understand how this could be considered good in any capacity. That ad-libbed ending almost pissed me off, actually. Horrible. Horrible acting Jane's part as well.
October 24, 2016
Frank Darabont's adaptation of the Stephen King novella is a unique balance between a taught, tense B-grade horror movie, and an intense thriller driven by the claustraphobic setting thrust upon the main characters. The more conventional "horror" scenes in The Mist range from slightly comical to true edge of the seat material and perhaps would have made more sense had I read King's novella. The Mist is at its best however during the scenes not driven by effects but the emotions and the fear of the ensemble cast. The most chilling moments in the film are not those that involve the monsters and creepy crawlies, but those that highlight the depravity of humanity in crisis. Darabont is in fine directorial form here and pulls no punches with an ending that is as dark and depressing as Shawshank was uplifting and joyous.
October 17, 2016
The Mist is directed and written by Frank Darabont, it's his third attempt at a Stephen King's adaptation, which has a different approach than his usual films, and it stars Thomas Jane, Marcia Gay Harden, Laurie Holden, Jeffrey DeMunn, and Toby Jones in a science fiction horror film about a father and his kid going into the marketplace to buy supplies after a thunderstorm destroyed a bit of their place, and all of a sudden, there was a mist that surrounded the marketplace, which is up to all the people inside to deal with the situation that there's something out there. I guess in terms of his Stephen King adaptations, I'll start going backwards on this until I get to my favorite film, so as for this, it's not one of his best works, but it has some of the director's best aspects in this that makes this memorable. Thomas Jane is an intimidating lead in this which is better than his role in Deep Blue Sea, Marcia Gay Harden does a great job of playing a crazy religionist that you just love to hate, Laurie Holden wasn't annoying in this as she sort of was in The Walking Dead, which is probably because of the script, and Jeffrey DeMunn is good as usually is in Frank Darabont films. The characters are good in this, but they're not that memorable in this compared to the director's previous films. The special effects are really good, but at the beginning I was a bit worried as the effect looked fake at first, and the make-up effects looks terrific as they look real. It's clever about how it didn't entirely explain about the origins of the mist, but gives off enough information about it that you can probably figure it out yourself. The direction by Frank Darabont packs a punch about the horrors of the situation, and what people have to do in order to survive the situation, until when tension starts to arise. The most memorable part of the film that everybody remembers, is the ending, and people are really split on it, whether they hate it or not. Even though I heard that it's different from the source material, I really appreciate that change as it shows that action has consequences, and you can't take that back, no matter what, what's done is done. The Mist is a great film that I hope to see the next film that Frank Darabont directs and writes.
October 15, 2016
With both its flaws and successes, the Stephen King adaptation 'The Mist' is a relatively successful horror/suspense thriller, with a well-chosen cast (that sometimes felt a bit much like a Walking Dead spin-off) but nonetheless acted finely. For the first 90 mins, it was just above average... but those last 5 minutes, and one of the strongest twist endings I have seen in years boosted the movie hugely. A truly haunting final scene.
Verdict: B+
October 8, 2016
Black and white version is quite disturbing and looks very creepy. The movie itself is shot very clever even though some scenes are absurd and unrealistic in terms of people's behavior.
½ September 26, 2016
One of the most realistic portrayals of humanity I've ever seen. One of the bleakest endings I've ever seen, but it fit the tone of the movie and I approved.
½ September 16, 2016
Wow! What a horrible ending to a movie that lasted way too long. I walked away feeling depressed and in tears. What an awful way to leave a movie. I would never recommend this movie to anyone.
August 30, 2016
Truly terrifying and bizarre with an unsettling feel every time I watch it!
August 29, 2016
Frank Darabont's third adaptation of a Stephen King novel is quite a gut wrenching thriller.
½ August 28, 2016
Dark, nihilistic, and downright frightening at times. Thomas Jane, Toby Jones, and Marcia Gay Harden (as a crazy religious zealot who serves as our frightening human villain) all do fantastic jobs. Some of the CGI is not great, and there is so-so editing at points, but this is definitely one of King's best films thanks to its freaky creatures and pitch-dark, hopeless tone.
August 16, 2016
The first effects were nothing credible , bad appearances and interventions. The rest will reward a good story and a good social position much intrigue , the end does not convince .
August 12, 2016
Some performances were less memorable than others and its plot could be deemed outlandish at times, but the film makes good in instilling a fearful and direct vibe. The Mist's alarming tone, dreadful and tragic sequences is more than enough to wipe away the blemishes. 4/5