The Mist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mist Reviews

November 2, 2017
Great concept ruined by utter onslaught of 2016 cliché social issues. I watch horror to escape the stuff, so I don't know wtf.
October 31, 2017
It's based on a Stephen King story. need I say more?
½ October 27, 2017
The Mist had some pretty good things going for it. Decent cast. Good acting. An interesting plot. Once inside the grocery store, however, it seemed like the wax that held the movie together began to heat and eventually melt. The CGI was ridiculously bad, most notably with the tentacle at the beginning. The gore looked cheap and the bugs/creatures just didn't seem believable enough. There were some common stereotypes that made their way into this movie such as blacks being killed off fist and Christians being depicted as bible thumping lunatics. The divide between the people in the store made for the most interesting storyline in my opinion. The rest of the movie featured ridiculous attacks that were no more believable (or scary) than the alien invasion in Independence Day. The latter was far more realistic. I will say, however that the large creature that crossed the highway was perhaps the best rendered. Why Hollywood always feels it has to show us everything instead of "suggesting it" is beyond me.

SPOILER ALERT:

The ending is a real kick in the stomach but given there wasn't a lot of on screen chemistry between the dad and his son It was hard to feel an emotional loss after shooting his boy. He let his kid walk into the store with a stranger hand in hand near the beginning and dumped him off with a woman for much of the film.
½ October 24, 2017
4.5/5. While the CGI in The Mist has not aged well, the rest of the movie certainly has. Terrifying sequences, incredible performances (particularly from Thomas Jane, Toby Jones, and Marcia Gay Harden), some great heroes, one of the most easily hatable villains I've ever seen, and finally, one of the most shocking endings to any film. If you haven't seen The Mist, fix that as soon as possible.
½ October 14, 2017
This movie has a really intriguing premise and unique plot; however, it has too many cliches and is more maddening than entertaining. The CGI special effects leave a lot to be desired. This movie had refreshing originality and I'm always interested in a monster movie, but the typical ironic "twist" at the end was just too much.
October 14, 2017
I personally didn't like the movie. It has an original story, it is twisted and unpredictable, it counts with some good thrilling scenes, but I think the cast wasn't compelling enough to make me keep my interest in this movie more than 10 minutes. The visual effects could and should have been better.
½ October 9, 2017
One of the best and most underrated Stephen King adaptations, The Mist is a perfect mixture of horror and thriller. The cast is outstanding, with Marcia Gay Harden stealing the show as the unlikeable Mrs. Carmody. The CGI and practical effects are outstanding, the ending is one of the best ever put to film.
October 1, 2017
As film's based on Stephen King books go, this one is translated well. The book version is miles ahead, but in any story, or adaptation, that can be said. The CGI is choppy at times, but for when it was made, it isn't the worst. The book is one of my personal favourites, the movie is okay. The acting is alright, none of the actors/actress' really wow me. The old woman, preaching god all the time gets really annoying, you feel for the characters at this point, I wanted to punch her through the TV.

Having read the book first nothing really surprised me, or added to the story. As adaptations go it's a good one. The ending always gets me, it's so stunning, you really feel for the guy. My biggest problem with the movie would be the main guy, he didn't really do much for me, his acting seemed boring and lifeless.
September 18, 2017
What do you guys think of The Mist. I feel like it's an amazing sci-fi/horror film. What I like about it is that it not only provides horror from outside the mist, but it also provides a deadly environment from inside the supermarket by having more and more people turn to Mrs. Carmody out of desperation. This makes the movie claustrophobic both because of the monsters outside, but the actions of the characters from inside the mist. It's a creative aspect akin to the theme of savagery from Lord of the Flies. I also liked several of the scenes with the monsters. A lot of them unnerved me quite a bit such as the tentacle attack and the pharmacy scene. Its ending is going to divide a lot of people, but I love it as I find it to be one of the most powerful endings ever.
September 10, 2017
By making a new and more effective ending to this already strong screenplay and personal directing, Frank Darabont created a heart-wrenching, genuinely great movie, that dwells deep inside human nature confronted by a terrifying outside threat.
September 9, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Modestamente efectiva y entretenida. The Mist encuentra la fórmula de sumergir al espectador en un thriller intenso, desarrollar empatía con los personajes y sus destinos.
August 30, 2017
interesting movie but had a very unexpected ending
August 12, 2017
I do like the idea of Stephen King multi-verse. all the movies are their own worlds were other stories connect, and the "dark tower" is supposed to separate and protect them all from this "dark outer realm" that these creatures that infest and,plague most of the king stories example: the mist, it, the stand etc. but because of the man in black "who by the way is Randall flag" is attacking the towers and letting these monsters slip into those worlds. And that is why Pennywise the dancing clown is actually a giant spider. Our heroes with the "shining" ability have been put through out king's stories to help protect the the dark tower. I would have liked these movies to have put more emphasis on that. possibly leading to a much larger story.
½ August 11, 2017
Personally I thought this was excellent! Heard little about it before seeing it, but once I heard it is based on a Stephen King story I had to check it out. It certainly is typical Stephen King stuff, weird and wonderful. A mix of Cloverfield and the Fog. If you haven't seen it go check it out!
½ August 3, 2017
Sebbene non riesco a tollerare alcune scelte narrative che interessano tutta la durata del film, il suo stile unico, una storia interessante e un finale travolgente e disturbante riescono a rendere il film un'esperienza nuova e mai provata prima. Come già accennato, il punto di forza del film è proprio il finale, anticonvenzionale ed estremamente coraggioso, porta al limite un concetto che non avevo mai visto in nessun'altra pellicola. Merita sicuramente di essere visto.
August 1, 2017
Darabont give us a traumatic, well-acted movie, that works as something else than a simple adaptation to Stephen King's novel. The ending is just frightening. The best film in King's movie universe yet?
½ August 1, 2017
Based on the novel by Stephen King, it's a good old survival horror, with the horror formula of people trapped in a place and fighting nasty shit off, something I just love. The actors do there job in portraying characters that are memorable, it's entertaining and well paced, and, although I found that some of the effects are obvious CGI, some of them are really creepy. This ain't a flick to watch if you've got a phobia of insects. But overall, The Mist is a good and creepy horror movie, with an unexpecting and shocking ending. Recommended !!
June 27, 2017
A disturbing, terrifying, tragic, film. The acting is great.
June 25, 2017
A horrifying tale about a rare fictional phenomenon described in pages by the great Stephen King. His imagination is limitless and something to behold. Great acting, Marcia Gay Harden is a great actress and a great villain. Frank Darabont presented an awesome movie and thank this movie for the talents in The Walking Dead: Andrea, Dale and CAROL :)
½ May 27, 2017
The Draytons - David, Steff and their son Billy - live in a small Maine town. One night a ferocious storm hits the area, damaging their house. The storm is accompanied by a strange mist. David and Billy and their neighbour Brent Norton go into town. There they discover that the mist contains some frightening creatures, creatures intent on killing humans.

A so-so horror movie, directed and written by Frank Darabont and based on a novel by Stephen King. Darabont's first two movies were brilliant and among the best films of the 1990s. I am, of course, referring to The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. In 2001 he directed The Majestic, also superb, yet criminally underrated.

Unlike his first two movies, The Majestic was not based on a Steven King novel and was not written by Darabont. For The Mist, his fourth (and, to date, last), he goes back to his original formula -
adapt and direct a Stephen King book/short story.

The result is not close to being in the same league as his first three movies. Largely a common-or-garden creature-horror film, this has nothing of the depth of those three movies. There are a few interesting themes - mob mentality and religious zealousness to the fore - but these are at best tertiary to the horror-thriller element.

The plot is not helped by some incredibly irritating characters and a general feeling of disengagement.

Due to the themes, ends up slightly better than your average horror movie, but that doesn't say much. It's easily the weakest genre.