The Mist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mist Reviews

June 25, 2017
A horrifying tale about a rare fictional phenomenon described in pages by the great Stephen King. His imagination is limitless and something to behold. Great acting, Marcia Gay Harden is a great actress and a great villain. Frank Darabont presented an awesome movie and thank this movie for the talents in The Walking Dead: Andrea, Dale and CAROL :)
½ May 27, 2017
The Draytons - David, Steff and their son Billy - live in a small Maine town. One night a ferocious storm hits the area, damaging their house. The storm is accompanied by a strange mist. David and Billy and their neighbour Brent Norton go into town. There they discover that the mist contains some frightening creatures, creatures intent on killing humans.

A so-so horror movie, directed and written by Frank Darabont and based on a novel by Stephen King. Darabont's first two movies were brilliant and among the best films of the 1990s. I am, of course, referring to The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. In 2001 he directed The Majestic, also superb, yet criminally underrated.

Unlike his first two movies, The Majestic was not based on a Steven King novel and was not written by Darabont. For The Mist, his fourth (and, to date, last), he goes back to his original formula -
adapt and direct a Stephen King book/short story.

The result is not close to being in the same league as his first three movies. Largely a common-or-garden creature-horror film, this has nothing of the depth of those three movies. There are a few interesting themes - mob mentality and religious zealousness to the fore - but these are at best tertiary to the horror-thriller element.

The plot is not helped by some incredibly irritating characters and a general feeling of disengagement.

Due to the themes, ends up slightly better than your average horror movie, but that doesn't say much. It's easily the weakest genre.
May 18, 2017
It will never cease to amaze me that this movie is so poorly reviewed when it is arguably one of the most suspenseful horror / tragedy movies you will ever seen. The entire film is a master piece of suspense with wonderfully fleshed out characterizations that leave you caring what happens next. The film isn't scary, it's tense. You aren't watching it for the spooks or the monsters, you're watching it because you relate to the characters and want them to make it out.

Perhaps the films greatest strength is how easily you can relate to the lead character, he's every thought you have in watching a horror movie. The smart guy making all the right decisions, only to prove that sometimes thats not enough, or that maybe your very first decision was the misstep. Perhaps i'm giving too much away, but the ending is both sour yet beautifully written. He makes all the moves you, as the viewer, would think you should do and when one of them bites him back you are met with the realization that perhaps you too would fail in these places.

I have only incredibly minor complaints about the film. I think the religious antagonistic character gets too much of a following, more than I would believe would happen in real life, which sort of lowers how believable the start of the final act is and I think every act of suicide in the film (in which there is more than one) felt more rushed than people would make that decision in real life. However these complaints never once truly tore me out of the film, or convinced me to lower my score.
May 17, 2017
This movie was intense, scary, and visually interesting. The problem is the gut wrenching ending that left me in tears. It's a five star movie with a one star ending, so three seems to be a good compromise.
May 1, 2017
A film adaptation that follows the king short story quite well.. and does a decent job of building the tension and helpnessness faced by the characters but... horrendous ending. Should have been more in line with the book.
½ April 30, 2017
watched this because of red letter media and i thought i had seen it before but i guess not that ending doe. Got me good. A+ film
April 29, 2017
A classic horror/thriller from an acclaimed director that works impressively well as a human centered drama.
Grade: B+
April 28, 2017
Worst ending ever rather watch Barbie
½ April 17, 2017
One of the few adaptations that do justice to the book. A good cast with nice effects, even the kid acted well. If only all Stephen King adaptations were of this quality.
April 10, 2017
I real enjoyed this flick. give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.
April 9, 2017
Wow! This is quite the film. Don't expect to walk away feeling good about life. This doesn't mean it's a bad movie, quite the opposite. This film jumps right to the action and keeps you in your seat regardless of how much Coca-Cola you've had. A fight for survival against seemingly impossible odds. No shortage of blood and characters you'll either cheer to see survive or cheer to see killed (Yes, we all cheered during one vicious murder scene.) A fun filled two hours. A man and his son go to get supplies after a freak storm. A mist rolls in while they're in a grocery store and the fight for survival begins.
April 2, 2017
It had a good atmosphere as per the title, though it's a big slog through character stupidity that really makes it hard to get through. By the end I had the attitude I get when I'm tired of the movie and don't really care what happens to the characters so I just want something to happen, and that ending was certainly something. I feel that if the characters had greater moments so that I could empathize better then the ending would've been more impactful, but it pretty much made me raise my eyebrows and question how it logically made sense in the film's premise. It didn't really make sense, though props for having such a downer.
½ March 21, 2017
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, even though it is mindless, at least until the provocative ending, The Mist manages to provide some decent old-school shocks.
March 13, 2017
Techniquement, ce film ne vaut pas la peine d'être regardé. Le scenario dont un brouillard maléfique est l'un des actants majeurs est insipide. Le jeu de acteur n'arrive pas non plus à faire lever le film.
Dans le genre : 4/10
Dans le monde-cinema : 2/10
À éviter ou à écouter pour rire.
March 13, 2017
Intense pre-Walking Dead warm up for Frank Darabont. After seeing this I really wish Thomas Jane would've played Rick Grimes. The characters motives are extremely questionable but overall this was fun enough and a good campy horror movie. Why not go back to the grocery store where it's safe and supplies are plentiful after you found out your wife was dead? Why try to "drive out" of the mist? Why not wait to use the suicide bullets till you REALLY need to?
March 8, 2017
Amazing, didn´t see the end coming
½ February 10, 2017
While you can definitely tell it's very clearly something Stephen King would come up with, The Mist still works at being a suspenseful, claustrophobic, morally divisive, and downright tragic creature feature and therefore, one the author's more underrated novel to film adaptations.
February 1, 2017
Great performances, great atmosphere, weak CGI but still frightening and scary. With one of the most shocking and frustrating endings that i've seen.
January 31, 2017
It was so awesome. Also the ending was really amazing.
½ January 27, 2017
very tense and suspenseful movie, with good characters and good pulse telling the story, but that final sequense is just awful, I don´t know why I hated it so much, It doesn´t make sense for me, besides that, the movie is worth watching