The Mist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mist Reviews

August 12, 2017
I do like the idea of Stephen King multi-verse. all the movies are their own worlds were other stories connect, and the "dark tower" is supposed to separate and protect them all from this "dark outer realm" that these creatures that infest and,plague most of the king stories example: the mist, it, the stand etc. but because of the man in black "who by the way is Randall flag" is attacking the towers and letting these monsters slip into those worlds. And that is why Pennywise the dancing clown is actually a giant spider. Our heroes with the "shining" ability have been put through out king's stories to help protect the the dark tower. I would have liked these movies to have put more emphasis on that. possibly leading to a much larger story.
½ August 11, 2017
Personally I thought this was excellent! Heard little about it before seeing it, but once I heard it is based on a Stephen King story I had to check it out. It certainly is typical Stephen King stuff, weird and wonderful. A mix of Cloverfield and the Fog. If you haven't seen it go check it out!
½ August 3, 2017
Sebbene non riesco a tollerare alcune scelte narrative che interessano tutta la durata del film, il suo stile unico, una storia interessante e un finale travolgente e disturbante riescono a rendere il film un'esperienza nuova e mai provata prima. Come già accennato, il punto di forza del film è proprio il finale, anticonvenzionale ed estremamente coraggioso, porta al limite un concetto che non avevo mai visto in nessun'altra pellicola. Merita sicuramente di essere visto.
August 1, 2017
Darabont give us a traumatic, well-acted movie, that works as something else than a simple adaptation to Stephen King's novel. The ending is just frightening. The best film in King's movie universe yet?
½ August 1, 2017
Based on the novel by Stephen King, it's a good old survival horror, with the horror formula of people trapped in a place and fighting nasty shit off, something I just love. The actors do there job in portraying characters that are memorable, it's entertaining and well paced, and, although I found that some of the effects are obvious CGI, some of them are really creepy. This ain't a flick to watch if you've got a phobia of insects. But overall, The Mist is a good and creepy horror movie, with an unexpecting and shocking ending. Recommended !!
June 27, 2017
A disturbing, terrifying, tragic, film. The acting is great.
June 25, 2017
A horrifying tale about a rare fictional phenomenon described in pages by the great Stephen King. His imagination is limitless and something to behold. Great acting, Marcia Gay Harden is a great actress and a great villain. Frank Darabont presented an awesome movie and thank this movie for the talents in The Walking Dead: Andrea, Dale and CAROL :)
½ May 27, 2017
The Draytons - David, Steff and their son Billy - live in a small Maine town. One night a ferocious storm hits the area, damaging their house. The storm is accompanied by a strange mist. David and Billy and their neighbour Brent Norton go into town. There they discover that the mist contains some frightening creatures, creatures intent on killing humans.

A so-so horror movie, directed and written by Frank Darabont and based on a novel by Stephen King. Darabont's first two movies were brilliant and among the best films of the 1990s. I am, of course, referring to The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. In 2001 he directed The Majestic, also superb, yet criminally underrated.

Unlike his first two movies, The Majestic was not based on a Steven King novel and was not written by Darabont. For The Mist, his fourth (and, to date, last), he goes back to his original formula -
adapt and direct a Stephen King book/short story.

The result is not close to being in the same league as his first three movies. Largely a common-or-garden creature-horror film, this has nothing of the depth of those three movies. There are a few interesting themes - mob mentality and religious zealousness to the fore - but these are at best tertiary to the horror-thriller element.

The plot is not helped by some incredibly irritating characters and a general feeling of disengagement.

Due to the themes, ends up slightly better than your average horror movie, but that doesn't say much. It's easily the weakest genre.
May 18, 2017
It will never cease to amaze me that this movie is so poorly reviewed when it is arguably one of the most suspenseful horror / tragedy movies you will ever seen. The entire film is a master piece of suspense with wonderfully fleshed out characterizations that leave you caring what happens next. The film isn't scary, it's tense. You aren't watching it for the spooks or the monsters, you're watching it because you relate to the characters and want them to make it out.

Perhaps the films greatest strength is how easily you can relate to the lead character, he's every thought you have in watching a horror movie. The smart guy making all the right decisions, only to prove that sometimes thats not enough, or that maybe your very first decision was the misstep. Perhaps i'm giving too much away, but the ending is both sour yet beautifully written. He makes all the moves you, as the viewer, would think you should do and when one of them bites him back you are met with the realization that perhaps you too would fail in these places.

I have only incredibly minor complaints about the film. I think the religious antagonistic character gets too much of a following, more than I would believe would happen in real life, which sort of lowers how believable the start of the final act is and I think every act of suicide in the film (in which there is more than one) felt more rushed than people would make that decision in real life. However these complaints never once truly tore me out of the film, or convinced me to lower my score.
May 17, 2017
This movie was intense, scary, and visually interesting. The problem is the gut wrenching ending that left me in tears. It's a five star movie with a one star ending, so three seems to be a good compromise.
May 1, 2017
A film adaptation that follows the king short story quite well.. and does a decent job of building the tension and helpnessness faced by the characters but... horrendous ending. Should have been more in line with the book.
½ April 30, 2017
watched this because of red letter media and i thought i had seen it before but i guess not that ending doe. Got me good. A+ film
April 29, 2017
A classic horror/thriller from an acclaimed director that works impressively well as a human centered drama.
Grade: B+
April 28, 2017
Worst ending ever rather watch Barbie
½ April 17, 2017
One of the few adaptations that do justice to the book. A good cast with nice effects, even the kid acted well. If only all Stephen King adaptations were of this quality.
April 10, 2017
I real enjoyed this flick. give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.
April 9, 2017
Wow! This is quite the film. Don't expect to walk away feeling good about life. This doesn't mean it's a bad movie, quite the opposite. This film jumps right to the action and keeps you in your seat regardless of how much Coca-Cola you've had. A fight for survival against seemingly impossible odds. No shortage of blood and characters you'll either cheer to see survive or cheer to see killed (Yes, we all cheered during one vicious murder scene.) A fun filled two hours. A man and his son go to get supplies after a freak storm. A mist rolls in while they're in a grocery store and the fight for survival begins.
April 2, 2017
It had a good atmosphere as per the title, though it's a big slog through character stupidity that really makes it hard to get through. By the end I had the attitude I get when I'm tired of the movie and don't really care what happens to the characters so I just want something to happen, and that ending was certainly something. I feel that if the characters had greater moments so that I could empathize better then the ending would've been more impactful, but it pretty much made me raise my eyebrows and question how it logically made sense in the film's premise. It didn't really make sense, though props for having such a downer.
½ March 21, 2017
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, even though it is mindless, at least until the provocative ending, The Mist manages to provide some decent old-school shocks.
March 13, 2017
Techniquement, ce film ne vaut pas la peine d'être regardé. Le scenario dont un brouillard maléfique est l'un des actants majeurs est insipide. Le jeu de acteur n'arrive pas non plus à faire lever le film.
Dans le genre : 4/10
Dans le monde-cinema : 2/10
À éviter ou à écouter pour rire.