Monsieur Lazhar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsieur Lazhar Reviews

August 2, 2016
A well-meaning, yet frustratingly modest study of grief and the appropriate methods for educating youths, "Monsieur Lazhar" is produced with careful hands, but written with sparse moments of catharsis throughout. The performances are quite impressive and the thematics are certainly consistent, but, again, a little "too little too late" for my tastes.
October 7, 2015
Even if the performances are not that strong, this is a delicate drama that could have been easily made into a maudlin melodrama in the wrong hands but instead goes for a realistic approach that renders it much more involving, touching and sincere than most films of the kind.
½ August 15, 2015
A great testament to movie making, this one is as pure as it gets. Real, emotional, to the point yet very subtle. A clear reminder to watch more foreign language movies.
½ July 16, 2015
Not a must see, but it was very good... movie of real situations.
April 22, 2015
It's a beautiful film -- you don't want to miss it!!
½ April 6, 2015
Sweet toching , interesting movie , Drama yes ...comedy no Some lovely kids in klas !
April 1, 2015
Impactful loss and life story. Brought by the beauty of French style. Natural performance by Mohamed Fellag. Kudos !
March 19, 2015
Not as good as heard, imho.
March 17, 2015
Similar to another film which I watched recently, THE CLASS, MONSIEUR LAZHAR deals with the goings-on in a classroom and the students' relationship with their teacher. However, in contrast to the previous film, MONSIEUR LAZHAR focuses on something that was a little more intimate and relatable to someone who isn't French or French-Canadian. After a schoolteacher commits suicide in her classroom, the students are left in shock as well as in need of a new teacher. The substitute comes in the form of an Algerian immigrant, Bachir Lazhar. Although it is initially hard for the students to warm up to him, eventually they do and he helps them in their process of grieving in addition to having some of his own. One thing that struck me was just how unassuming this film actually was. I kind of expected it to be along the same lines as THE CLASS, but it ended up being a lot more emotionally involving, which I really liked. Grief is something that we all go through at some point in our lives, and seeing how it affects children was an interesting approach to take. Of course, the performances were all excellent, even from the child actors. The clear standout is Fellag, who played Monsieur Lazhar himself. There was a certain warmth and honesty in his performance, as well as subtle shades of melancholy. You got the sense that he was really affected by what happened in his past, and just as affected by what happened to his students. I'd also like to mention the score, which was quite minimal. Outside of some classical music, there really wasn't a whole lot. More importantly, the score never interferes with the film's many emotional moments, allowing them to be powerful on their own. The only issue I took with the film was that there could have been a little more screen time or information about Monsieur Lazhar, given that the film is named after him. I also was caught off-guard at how abruptly the film ended. Not that I needed any more closure, but I was so invested in the story that I kind of wish there had been a little more. Overall, I'd say this was about on par with THE CLASS, maybe edging it out slightly. It certainly isn't light viewing, but it is rewarding in its own way.
March 9, 2015
A quiet revelation of authentic feeling in circumstances that could so easily have turned over-sentimentalized. Here we bear witness to human pain and resilience expressed by people we can care about.. People we trust are real. Thank you to all who created this experience for us. .
½ March 3, 2015
This will make you fragile. Great, beautiful & sensible film that shows a teacher's care & love for his students. The last scene was slow, simple, dramatic and sincere.
February 27, 2015
How selfish for a teacher to hang herself in the classroom and let her students find her.
February 25, 2015
?What can I say!? It's just wonderful. Sweet harmony moments with a algerian refugee in canada where he meets all the childern from this new school. They are shocked by losing their teacher. She hanged her self in the class. So bashir who fled from algerian terror startd to build a new life. And once he felt settle the school tells him he is a refugee. At least this time he had a time to say goodbye to those whom he love.
December 28, 2014
Between 2.5 and 3. Nice and lovely, although also with its deffects. Sometimes, that is enough. Focused on the kids, which is an interesting point of view.
½ December 27, 2014
A morose French Canadian drama which is suitably tender and well acted.
October 3, 2014
Pulled on my heart strings.
½ September 29, 2014
A sweet film that isn't afraid to get dark. The cast of children are incredibly natural to watch and the central character is full of empathy, pathos and humor. It's an endearing film with a potent message. Teachers will undoubtedly appreciate it and parents will also find much to connect with.
½ August 20, 2014
Almost a favorite of mine. This movie is so fantastic, and I wish everyone would watch it. The directing, acting, dialogue, everything, is so great, and I love the ending.
June 24, 2014
Thought provoking film on how to deal with grief. Some really lovely dialogue and altogether a great watch.
½ June 17, 2014
Mohamed Fellag brings Monsieur Lazhar to life in a film that embraces it's dark subject by realizing devastating truths about the lives of students(and teachers as well). It is a genuinely sad, but delicate tale of man who learns to surpress his own anguish for the greater good. While the teacher-student relationship genre may seem familiar, Monsieur Lazhar delves deeper to the roots of child psychosis, exploring the vast commitments a teacher takes part in while interacting with his students. The film brings about a sudden urge of grief, introduced by sympathy, but reconciles the viewer with a heart-warming conclusion.