Monster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monster Reviews

March 30, 2004
[b]THE CANDIDATE[/b] [b](Michael Ritchie, 1972) - 8.0 / pro
[/b]The storytelling quality might be flawed, but I guess, director Ritchie didn't care for that. This is a political pamphlet and the subtelty makes it worthwhile. The film delivers without being preachy.

[b]HUSBANDS (John Cassavetes, 1970) - 6.0 / mixed
[/b]The film is based on three major sequences only. When the film is good it's really masterfully done (e.g. the scene on the toilet, when the three husbands let their guards down), but when it's bad, it's boring. Especially the final London sequence is extremely uninteresting, but everything the film has wanted to say has already been sad and I was waiting endlessly for the obvious final scene.

[b]THE CONVERSATION (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974) - 7.0 / pro
[/b]Strong beginning, strong ending, but the middle part dragged beyond words. However, that might have something to do with fact that I noticed too late that the film would go beyond a simple thriller. The final image is haunting. I want to see again one day.

[b]MONSTER (Richard Jenkins, 2003) - 6.5/pro
[/b]The first half is from the serial killer sketch book. Drop a line or two about the bad childhood, show that the main character is not given a chance by society and let the first murder happen because of understandable reasons. The end is surprisingly involving and hits the mark, but the film is also a little manipulative in reaching this effect. Charlize Theron alone saves this from a mixed.