Moonlight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonlight Reviews

½ January 17, 2018
A fantastic, beautifully told film with some masterful directing and perfect cinematography.
January 15, 2018
Incredible Character Development. Full Of Heartfelt Moments. One Of The Most Effective Coming Out Conversations I Have Ever Seen On Screen.
January 15, 2018
How dare those compare this movie to City of God. Nothing like city of god. Inferior to city of god. Nothing like boyhood either
January 13, 2018
Overall, I enjoyed the movie because of the quality acting portrayed. Infact the acting was so amazing that I felt connected with certain characters like Chiron. During the more intense scenes, I hated certain characters and wanted to physically punch them. My only complaint is the ending because I wanted to see some romance between Chiron and Kevin.
½ January 12, 2018
complex and emotional.
½ January 11, 2018
Great movie with great characters. You really get drawn in to their lives. Def makes you think about life from different angles. This movie made me feel uncomfortable and angry. I am not as forgiving. I wanted revenge.
January 7, 2018
It really brought me back to when I was young growing up in the inner city. And see the subject of sexuality in the black community as a white person is really interesting knowing the taboo of homosexuality. Film with character who had many layers. I recommend to anyone and everybody.
January 6, 2018
I was apprehensive that this might be a blatant tearjerker or poverty safari, but it was neither, though still shocking and moving. A beautiful and dreamlike film, with extraordinarily deft characterisation, shown through action, reaction and a lot of silence.
½ January 4, 2018
I just loved this. The themes it explored regarding a young mans sexuality as well as growing up in a rough neighborhood were something that was hard to watch at times. Themes that have traditionally been far too unexplored in film.
Excellent cinematography as well as performances.
January 3, 2018
I'm sure there are these types of stories out in the world, different parts of the world, even in our city. I'm so limited in my perspective when it comes to the world view & cinemas often help me to empathize & understanding of it. Though, I never been gone through what the main character went through and I can see his point of view of the reason why he made the choices of what he is & why.

A great character study film, one in which not many people will understand or want to understand. I hope that if you get to see this film, watch & go through with open mine and heart.
January 3, 2018
****
'Moonlight' is beautiful, poignant, heart wrenching, and surprisingly thought-provoking. Many of us can relate to at least one aspect of Chiron's story, and I think that's what makes him such a captivating case study. As brilliant as the writing is, words mean nothing without good actors - and my oh my does this movie have some good performances. Everybody is absolutely perfect in their roles, and Writer/Director Barry Jenkins' fascinating direction makes the events taking place even more enthralling. The film may run a little too long, and ever so slightly drag in certain places, but these are mere nitpicks. This is a movie that must be seen.
January 2, 2018
This is a masterpiece. This is the definition of perfection.
Moonlight was possibly the best movie I've ever seen.
The plot was fantastic and beautifully written by Tarell Alvin McCraney, in each chapter he takes us on Chiron's though life journey. This masterpiece was marvelous from the beginning to the end.
January 2, 2018
New story told. Cool more new stories
January 1, 2018
Before this film was made, the subject matter of toxic masculinity being socialized on young boys was only talked about in documentaries. When writer/Director Barry Jenkins broke this trend in 2016's best picture film there are many choices he could've made as a writer and director. By far the best decision was to keep the focus on this single universal theme and not to clutter it with others like race or socioeconomic status. Although race and poverty are there, he leaves them as expositonary background to our protagonist, not what drives the story. This helps magnify his focus on the heartache and social pressure our sexually confused protagonist feels from others. When Jenkins uses long shots and "hero" close-ups, combined with utter silence, no matter what the background of the audience member, male or female, black or white, you can't help but inject empathy into this character. This is the science of art and is executed to perfection.
January 1, 2018
Best movie I've seen all year (if not in several years). Truly, a must-see.
½ December 30, 2017
The story and its subject matter is incredibly important and visually it has its moments. The soundtrack complemented it brilliantly. However, I did feel a bit *nothing* afterwards, which may be because I'm a shallow sort of movie watcher who wants to be humming a catchy tune or reliving a particularly breathtaking scene after the credits finish.

Even so, it's a movie you should see, even if (particularly if!) you think won't enjoy it.
December 30, 2017
Very boring. Need subtitles to hear the small amount of speech there is. No laughter or smiles. Depreessing, without hope .
December 29, 2017
Not much story. A lot of mood. Stylish Instagram filtered visuals. Europeans are much better with this kind of minimalist, artsy, stuff. This one just comes across as pretentious.
½ December 27, 2017
An extremely mediocre film not worthy of a Best Picture Oscar. It's clear the Academy was pressured by white guilt to award this film an Oscar, but nothing really adds up to such a high honor. Barry Jenkins beautifully directs; I love the staging, moments of quiet contemplation. But what does it really add up to? The film is divided into three phases of Chiron's life, but the third seems more devoted to giving this guy Kevin a second chance, and he doesn't seem like he deserves it. It was a big letdown to me, and it depicted Chiron as a weak character who is trapped and will stay trapped, as he himself even says. But the film seems to celebrate that instead of depicting the potential horror this may be. There should be a much harsher confrontation based on where they left off, and I think it would be more powerful if this was about Chiron moving on from the fact that he's never had another another lover, besides the one who beat him. Add to that our favorite character, Juan, is only in the film for the first act, and we don't get to see him again. His performance was beautiful and moving, and it would've been great to see him all the way through as a father figure. The moment between him and Chiron's mother is the most powerful scene in the movie; she's doing drugs and he's her drug dealer, but he hates to think that Chiron is going to be parented by a drug addict, despite the irony that he feeds it. She lays in to him the irony, it is hard for him to face, and he remains justified in his stance. They both love the boy in their own way. I also would like to see Teresa in the third act. It's a flat, conventional, boring story, wonderfully directed.
December 26, 2017
Went into this movie thinking I'd dislike it. Especially given the fact that it's a story about a poor, black, gay man, I was expecting to be slammed over the head with progressive lecturing. What an utter surprise, then, that Moonlight turned out to be a story that is, at its core, about the longing for intimacy and how that's uniquely manifested in this particular protagonist's life. It's also got strong acting and a killer visual style, to boot. What an absolute beauty of a film. Truly worthy of its Best Picture win.