Moonlight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonlight Reviews

July 25, 2017
Worthy drama but due to the pacing and ambiguous script didn't merit the time invested. I was amazed by the critical reaction and can only assume this was down to the subject matter, which in itself seems a bit patronizing. Acting was earnest but overall a real disappointment due to the silly hype.
July 24, 2017
this was really emotional and sometimes hard to watch, but it's so beautiful in such an original way. There's so much to learn just by watching this. the performances were great. the more I think about it, the more I think this is a film I'll remember for a long time.
½ July 24, 2017
Worried about more "Black' lash, Hollywood gave this an award. It doesn't matter no one saw it anyway.
July 23, 2017
What an overrated garbage film. I'm not racist. I can respect a good film. Dope was an academy award winning film next to this "heart wrenching epic"... HAH. I almost fell asleep twice and I was on an airplane with nowhere else to go and nothing else to do and it still couldn't keep my attention. I'm pretty well read, but this was not worthy of an academy nod let alone best film!!!! Now, I will suggest that the build up and high expectation of watching this after winning best film could have influenced my opinion but it was pretty awful. Best of luck watching.
½ July 23, 2017
The movie was slow and boring. To think this could have won best pic of the year is utterly amazing! It is different, I'll give it that, but one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
July 23, 2017
Not the best picture about the topic, but a really good one.
July 22, 2017
Beautiful film! All the characters challenged my view of what I might think that character should be. Very well done!
July 21, 2017
A compassionate rumination on race, sexuality and identity, speaking for voices rarely heard in cinema.
July 20, 2017
Really just the best movie ever. I cried through the entire thing. The way the camera treated the black male body, the careful and profoundly non-manipulative way the story wove around the mother, the tender love between the men. Absolutely perfect.
July 16, 2017
Brilliantly acted, and a nice story. I just didn't find it very exciting or interesting.
July 14, 2017
Horrible , I don't get all the hype! La la land should've got the award!
½ July 13, 2017
A well-made movie with good performances and tells a story not often seen on film.
July 13, 2017
If there is any feeling that director-screenwriter Barry Jenkins captures masterfully -- I'm speaking mostly from an outsider perspective -- it's the feeling of your whole life moving far too quickly to recall anything other than the few moments when it all seemed to slow down. For better or worse. The characters under scrutiny are also a welcome change to the near-homogeneity of most contemporary films, not just with respect to white upper-middle class but also the tough/macho-by-social-law culture of black below-poverty-line class. Moonlight certainly has its important place in today's time. We'll see where Hollywood goes (or Barry Jenkins, for that matter), in ten years' time. As for the story itself, well, it's another coming-of-age, finding-yourself tale. The simple change in who is of focus makes this an especially durable piece of storytelling, not to mention remarkable pacing and structure. "Little" / Chiron / "Black" (the same person played by three different actors, all of whom deserve praise for their breakthrough performances) is soft at the core, and as he ages, we see how his environment forces him to build a cold, rough exterior when all he wants is to feel soft again with someone he loves. I would argue that Moonlight is undeniably beautiful, but then again, see the ~18% gap between critical favourability and audience favourability? The 18% will explain to you how the fact that Chiron is "too much of everything": black, poor, homosexual. And in come the accusations that Jenkins is trying too hard. To which I say, fuck you.
July 11, 2017
This movie is clearly the lowest budget of all the Best Picture nominees, and has the least narrative structure as well. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just different. Rather than tell a defined story, the film is broken up into three segments, each one a snapshot of different points of a single character's life. The first two are fantastic, the third... well, not so much. That third act was SOOO SLOOOOW, it detracted from my overall enjoyment of the film. The movie still packs a solid emotional punch, thanks to the first two acts. This is an important movie, if nothing other than the fact that I think this is the only movie I have ever seen where the main character is a black gay guy. Even so, the themes are universal that anyone can relate to. This is a poignant film with a lot to say, even though it doesn't come right out and tell you. You feel it rather than hear it.
July 10, 2017
I thought this movie was incredibly boring. It was difficult to get through entirely without turning the movie off. The underlying plot was very realistic and touching, but the movie itself was, in my opinion very boring. Then again good movies are few and far between these days.
½ July 10, 2017
Barry Jenkins creates an emotional drama that forces you to look its protagonist eye-to-eye and connect with him on an intimate level no matter what your politics might be.
½ July 10, 2017
Real raw emotion, well shot. Powerful through ugly and beautiful moments of one man's story.
July 9, 2017
A hauntingly beautiful movie... though not sure if it was Best Picture worthy.
July 8, 2017
Moonlight tells the story of a young, gay man as he goes through life. The first act depicts his childhood, the second are his teenage years and the third is him as a grown man in present day. It is a brutally honest depiction of the LGBT struggle, especially for a young black man growing up in a largely conservative community effected by drugs and poverty. The subject matter is heavy, but it opens up a conservation that we NEED to have. Despite these very sad themes, there is a great deal of heart to Moonlight. It's hard to describe without spoilers but trust me it is there. Lastly I also want to point out that for those of you who are familiar with the work of Kendrick Lamar (specifically To Pimp a Butterfly) you'll notice artistic inspirations that Kendrick and Moonlight share. The first song heard in Moonlight is "Every Nigga is a Star" by Boris Gardiner, one of the main characters is listening to the song on his radio in the opening scene. In the first song of TPAB, "Wesley's Theory" the same piece is sampled at the very beginning of the song, its the first sound you hear when you listen to the album. There are other small details that both works share. Needless to say great minds think alike. The original soundtrack for Moonlight is especially powerful. Normally I'm not a fan of classical soundtracks in films (it's a little overdone) but Moonlight's classical OST is so uniquely well done that I would be idiotic not to make an exception. Cinematography is stylized and strong. Iconic scenes, beautiful colors and lighting make for sophisticated and detailed cinematography that is not only aesthetically pleasing but also highly symbolic.

Truly a legendary film
½ July 7, 2017
Slow-moving, boring and pointless. Just because a movie aspires to show lives too rarely seen in cinema does not mean it succeeds. Also, the acting is terrible.