Moonlight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonlight Reviews

March 21, 2018
The critics are right on this one; you should watch it.
March 18, 2018
Could not even finish watching this film. Casting for the adult Chiron was terrible...they not even the same body type as young Chiron! Took me a while to figure out what was happening. All the critics must be drinking something funny to think this film has any merits at all. Does a lot of damage for the black image.
March 15, 2018
It's not an enjoyable movie. Not because it's bad. Because it's so real and too deep. A flawless movie that definitely isn't for everyone.
March 10, 2018
THE BEST FILM OF 2016! A coming-of-age piece that tells its main character's compelling life-story with three defining chapters of his life, and does so with spellbinding passion.
½ March 9, 2018
It was a beautiful story and it told the story really well. I also appreciate the timely subject matter. Still, I kinda wish La La Land won instead... (sorry!)
March 6, 2018
Praised by colleagues I gave it a try but found it unrelatable and kind of a stretch on reality
March 6, 2018
Beautiful, sensitive and sad. I think it's a masterpiece.
½ March 5, 2018
African American, CHECK. Poor, CHECK. Drug addiction, CHECK. Gay, CHECK. This movie exists only to satisfy every Social Justice Warrior's wet dream..(pun intended). Boring, mindless, drivel that occurs in every inner city in the country. NOTHING special about this tripe.
½ March 5, 2018
this was bad film from start to finnish did not no subject and thought it was a weak political correctness gone mad don't watch it. It should have warning as a straight male it made me feel sick but i watched it as it won best picture i don't know how. If it was same film about a girl being smashed up by a boy she liked i don't think it would have been made.
½ March 4, 2018
Brilliant cinematography, loved everything about this film..
March 3, 2018
To start off, I just want to say that this is my favourite movie of all times. After watching it for the fourth time, I feel the need to really analyse this movie with everyone and try to understand the importance of this movie. This movie largely talks about Black Masculinity and the dealing of homosexuality around a homophobic environment.
I. Little: Starting off the movie with one of the key issues within Chiron's life, his mothers addiction to heroin. After running into the abandoned house, he finds a crack pipe on the floor, it is also the starting point of when Little finds out about what his mother is dealing with and what an impact its having on his life. Juan meets him within that same house, breaking loose the wood panels over the windows, uncovered by light almost as his guardian. While eating lunch, it seems as if Chiron receives his first apology from someone, after he looks up at Juan after giving back his food. Even during his playtime, he stands there looking at other boys play and it is a simile of how some gay people might feel, he stands there feeling like he's from the outside looking in, outside the box and not really fitting in within a category of people that he have met before. The sheer attention to detail that has been given by Barry Jenkins is incredible, and props to the cinematographer as well for their beautiful imagery that they have portrayed here. The music of course is also worth a mention, as this piano work has stuck with me and other vintage records pulled up here clicked right into place. Within the first chapter you can see his first steps into strengthening of character. From Juan he receives his first male support and starts feeling more safe, when letting go in the water. He only manages to let go when everyone else around him are free, during dance, you can truly see his feeling of freedom for that split moment. Actors within each role have played SUCH a strong part and would not change them for anyone else. Really it was so impressive and so touching. Even within the first chapter you can notice some bullying but it gets more intense during his teenage years in chapter II.
II. Chiron: You can notice his struggle to talk about heterosexuality when his only friend Kevin starts speaking to him, he is just lost for words and not necessarily comfortable with the subject. He carries his confined personality through his life as a means for people to not be able to see him for what he really is. It is very saddening but true what you see on the screen of the stress of a child, seeing what his mother is going through and being completely helpless. After going through a tough period, that is what the chapter ends with, enough is enough and Chiron tries to deal with his bullies.
III. Black: Within this chapter you can see the re-occurring theme of what happened in the end of chapter II, where he likes to feel the cold, dipping his face into an ice filled sink. In this chapter you can see the 'new him' not necessarily the 'real him'. He has created this persona based on his mentor Juan, replicating his style, car, lifestyle and even the crown on the dashboard of his vehicle. After receiving a call from Kevin, that is when his breakthrough of the thug characters takes place, finally being touched by someone emotionally. After walking into the cafe, you can really tell the difference in mood and lighting, the unfolding of CHIRON really takes place. Even while speaking to Kevin and being confronted with 'This is not you' he responds in a negative way, being scared to open up, after building this strong character for so long. Kevin continues to perform his embarrassed head shake that he does after making an embarrassing joke. His reflection of past can even be noticed on his car, when he drives off with the licence plate reading 'BLACK035'. When they arrive, he feels the breeze of the waters. He gets questions 'Who is you?' and that's when Chiron really needs to let his feelings out. Ending the movie, them finally being re-united again, the image of Little being back by the water communicates his feeling of Peace, feeling like he is back to what he always felt IS him.
March 3, 2018
Definitely better than La La Land. Mahershala Ali did a lot less than I expected given all the awards, but I?m surprised it didn?t pick up the Oscar for directing, or at the very least, cinematography, which was beautiful and striking and pretty stunning throughout.
½ March 3, 2018
Horrible. Terrible. Nothing to like about it.
March 3, 2018
Good effort at depicting low lives realistically but too many gaps in the story while too slow at other times. Maybe they tried to do too much for a single film while a miniseries would have filled the gaps. But it is doubly tough to hang on a story of mobster/homersexual. Then again, I suspect all mobsters are homersexuals. Like the romans in the roman empire...
March 2, 2018
So-so movie, I felt like I was watching Boyhood but with black people. There really is nothing memorable about this film. The performance by Mahershala Ali was the best part about this movie.
½ March 2, 2018
Awful movie, and I don't find many that I call awful. Just because a movie wins awards does not mean it is good. And that's the case here. I asked for my money back and have never done that
March 2, 2018
I thought it was "meh"...
March 1, 2018
Beautifully crafted almost to poignantly real, stunningly shot with precise and wondrous editing, and heartbreaking acting from the entire cast (including Mahershala Ali and Naomie Harris) prove that Barry Jenkins has created one of the most beautiful films of the year flawlessly.
½ February 22, 2018
This is the worst movie I have ever seen.
February 17, 2018
A haunting film that stays with you, long after you leave the cinema.