Moonlight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonlight Reviews

April 28, 2017
Moonlight isn't just your typical LGBT movie (I'd even say the LGBT aspects of the movie are overstated as it also focuses on racism and the harsh living environment the protagonist lives in. There's a reason why it's M18 and not R21.) It is a worthy Oscar Best Picture winner because of the great performances and well-written script. My major issue with the film is that it could've been deeper in the plot (I'd say maybe the last third of the movie when it was more boring; albeit a necessary addition to the movie), especially since the movie is not even 2 hours long.
½ April 28, 2017
Moonlight is a drama with a delicate theme set in a difficult situation. We look into 3 parts of the life of Chiron, a boy growing up in the hood and struggling to find himself. Friendship, love and sexuality is the overall focus here, from parental care to first love. It begins when he tries to find a better mother and father role in his life. Second comes the teenager phase and brutal bullying in school, first love and sexual encounter. Last is the part where Chiron is an adult and reconnects with his old friend. We see patterns of his childhood reflected in his own adult life, this is displayed very well. It is a difficult theme and it is paired pretty well with the tough life in the hood, but overall this movie wasn't as good for me as many say. I'd say for me it was more average than extraordinary.
½ April 27, 2017
This is the most boring movie I have ever seen.
½ April 27, 2017
A very good and interesting movie! This movie is about a boy growing up in 3 different stages. Kid, Teen, and Adult.
April 27, 2017
Beautiful movie with simple visuals. Left a lot of questions unanswered but I guess such is the appeal of the film
½ April 26, 2017
If the viewer can ignore the usual Hollywood political agendas they will find an outstanding piece of cinema which is worthyâ< of all recognition received!
½ April 26, 2017
Moonlight is the last film to receive the academy award for best picture this year. Barry Jenkins has crafted a complicated coming of age story with a central hero who's incredibly complex and introverted. Beautifully shot, written and produced, the film follow the story of Chiron a young African American struggling with finding his place in this world and the constant bullying to which he is victim in school. We follow him through three main stages of his life, three portrait of a person trying to construct himself in a tough environment. This is an incredible film with a powerful message, a vibrant personal journey and a complex study of how African American men are trapped in the multiples ghetto-cliches we are used to see all the time of film and TV. Although the movie will not appeal to anyone, i really think it would be a miss to avoid watching it. It's such a rare thing nowadays to get the opportunity to watch such a beautifully crafted story with depth and brains. Please give it a go and make up your own mind.
½ April 26, 2017
The beginning of a man's life. Not a criminal, not a politician: just a man.
½ April 26, 2017
There is very little to this movie and I was very disappointed in it. Basically a boy grows up. He happens to be gay, at least once, and he barely speaks. That's about it. There is no plot other than boy grows up. It's like that movie of a boy's life a few years ago, really nothing happens except everyone ages. It's also full of stereotypes and cliches. When will movie makers do a movie about a girl growing up? We have two now about boys aging into men, let's see some movies about girls becoming women and all the crap we have to go through just to survive. Moonlight is overrated and very depressing.
April 25, 2017
A compassionate masterpiece with veins that run red with empathy and humanity. "Moonlight" is a story about adolescence, self-discovery, the pains of growing, and the vital importance of compassionate and strong parental roles.

One thing that I respect most about this film is the fearlessness found in this film's moments of silence. It's efficient, heavy use of silence that is never without purpose or a function within the narrative.
April 24, 2017
Moonlight is quite an interesting one. I wasn't sure what to expect but here is how I felt about the movie.
First of all, let's summarize real quick: Moonlight tells the story of an Afro-American from his childhood to his adulthood. The movie is divided in three acts; each of them shows a part of his life. He lives a hard life with his junkie mom.
This movie is really slow-paced and it kind of goes nowhere. That's what is beautiful about it. The atmosphere around Chiron (main character) is incredibly heavy, awkward. The endless silences, the way he looks at people, everything will make you feel uncomfortable.
The film is also really well made in terms of shooting and the multiple contrasts around the characters made this experience pleasant.
The ending is well thought in my opinion: unpredictable yet simple. It brings up debates and that is very enjoyable.
I recommend this movie but be patient, as I said, it is extremely slow and "nothing" happens during it.
April 22, 2017
The jewel of the moonlight films
April 22, 2017
Damn. A rare and excellent observation of humanity. An intimate film you are probably better off watching alone in order to truly allow yourself to connect with Chiron and the world around him. You feel his love, his frustration, his anger, his loneliness. A well rounded and expertly executed production, no other film this year was better qualified to win the Best Picture Oscar.
½ April 22, 2017
buena, un poco cruda
April 22, 2017
MY CREAM-OF-THE-CROP CHOICE for 2016: 'MOONLIGHT'
Storytelling, continuity, unpredictability, but the best ingredient ever: the casting. The director chose each of three actors based on their eyes - not their faces. It worked really well. I bathed in this film. It crept under my skin. It ripped my heart out and then placed it back inside my chest but operating just a bit 'better' if you will. Stunning. It really helped that I went into the theater not knowing a thing about the plot - or sub-plot. Like reveling in a good meal with the perfect wine to accompany it, 'Moonlight' just was the best entrée I filled my soul with in the fall of 2016, and it may just be my favorite film ever.
½ April 21, 2017
I like what's behind the courtain: the matrix of the story. But I found it flavorless, with a few peaks of shine. Overrated.
April 21, 2017
Absolutely amazing and completely breathtaking, when it ended I was craving more!
½ April 21, 2017
except for the fact the fact it's very realistic and well played, very very regular and nothing that will be remembered one hour after seeing it....
April 21, 2017
Best movie I've seen all year. Truly, a must-see.
April 20, 2017
BEST PICTURE 2016: Powerful drama about a black gay man growing up. Chiron goes on a discovery to find who he really is through a troubled upbringing and finding it difficult to fit in at school.