Moonlight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonlight Reviews

February 7, 2019
Moonlight is a very well made, beautifully shot film that is filled to the brim with great performances. It is very well paced and structured overall but some dialogue scenes do drag on a first viewing, this doesn't really affect it at all because even though the worse dialogue scenes aren't great, the best dialogue is really good and very genuine.
This movie is one of the most genuine feeling portrayals of a person who has had a rough and lonely life.
February 5, 2019
So affecting, achingly authentic, an incredible film that is as heartbreaking as it is beautiful.
February 2, 2019
I have to say that this film wasn't quite what I was expecting given the publicity surrounding its release. Moonlight tells the story of young, black man growing up gay in Miami set against a background of violence, neglect and drug abuse. The film is told in an episodic format, with each chapter dealing with a different point in the man, Chiron's life. It is a bleak, heartbreaking tale and central to this is a fantastic performance by Naomie Harris as his troubled mother. She stands as the central, shaping figure in Chiron's development who battles her own demons. It is her drug abuse that locks both herself and her son into a life of real sadness and deprivation. Into Chiron's life come salvation in the form of Juan (Mahershala Ali) a local figure who takes the young boy under his wing. However, he himself has a darker influence on the young man that only becomes apparent later in the movie. The cast of this film, each one of them, is brilliant, bringing to life these very real characters and their struggles. As a snapshot of a troubled and painful existence, Moonlight is a well observed study that shows that even in the darkest of narratives, there is hope for some salvation and triumph over the odds. It is a caring and solid coming of age film that is directed with a well-paced and meaningful manner that is totally absorbing.
January 28, 2019
Such a powerful and necessary movie. So moving and thoughtful, with masculinity and race dynamics being the main themes that tie this iimportant film together. Perfection.
½ January 23, 2019
If every frame is a painting than this movie is the mona lisa. The cinematography in this movie has no better. Its story is believable, sadly all to realistic and one that needed to be made. Thank you barry jenkins.
January 20, 2019
It's over two years since this movie won an academy award for best picture and it's still an easily forgettable film because we have seen it so many times. Don't get me wrong it's a good film as you can see by my score but there are many other films that I remember much better in 2016 and this is the case for many films. The film is a coming of age story for a troubled youth in a violent atmosphere and his journey to be a person of character rather than a person that assimilates the nature of his environment. The most memorable performance without a doubt is Mahershala Ali who plays a father figure with his own ugly tendencies. I don't know if I would recommend Moonlight as it is a good film, but not a great one. It has great drama, but that is expected from a story like this. Still I would suggest that there are many other films to see that you will remember years later.
January 18, 2019
Saw it last night with boxxy software app. Didn't know a thing about it except for the awards. Gripping drama about the broken homes and neglected children that contribute to the way things are. The film didn't develop much beyond the first half , became slow and tedious. Characters didn't develop much either. Had great potential, but didn't get there. Overrated by critics. Why?
January 16, 2019
Really liked the pacing. Acting was all great. Wish Ali was in it for longer.
½ January 14, 2019
his is a disgusting movie in very form of the word. ...and it one best picture? Hollywood is pathetic.
January 14, 2019
Nothing special about it. I just saw a french film the summer before this movie and it was basically the same story, the only difference is that there are no moms on drugs and no guy randomly swimming with a small boy on the beach. Everything else is basically in the film. Disappointing that it just felt like an artsy fartsy film that had people saying the N word way too much.
½ January 12, 2019
Moonlight is a piece of unsettling yet depressing coming-of-age complex drama. Its complexity then affects the character. It rather makes this film quite heavy. On the other hand, it has memorable dialogues. The impression, of course, is so terrifying. There is a feeling of fear and pity. So your feelings crushed. However, It's about society. This is a breaking-the-rules movie. It's about masculinity, blacks stereotypical, sexuality, and self-awareness. Moonlight becomes a piece of cinema with a strong impact and inspiration. All the performances from the actors are surreal. They all unpredictably. It's just a masterfully-crafted. This is a masterpiece of cinema.
January 10, 2019
This movie is the most boring movie i have seen to date. I dont see the meaning behind this pure garbage of a movie. The only reason this movie is scored high is because the main character is a gay black person.
½ January 8, 2019
A phenomenal film that deserves all of the praise it has recieved. It takes a realistic look at life and avoids simply showing stereotypes and hollywood cliches. Chiron is probably one of the more realistic characters ive ever seen put to film. All in all this is a well written, fantastically acted and expertley directed film! An all time classic!
January 4, 2019
Great performances, the film did drag on in places. Not bad for a one time watch.
½ December 31, 2018
It was just so boring.
½ December 30, 2018
you get to meet a remarkable character and as the viewer you feel truly privileged to see him grow up. The audience is emotionally satisfied and moved by the end of the movie.
December 27, 2018
Every line in this movie was pure gold.
December 25, 2018
Brilliant, powerful movie. Wise, real, and sad on so many themes. The one that struck me the hardest is the plight of the bullied kid -- outcast for whatever reason -- who has no real home to go to after school for respite. It happens. Some reviewers are questioning how the ending of this movie can qualify as happy, but with this kid's start in life, even surviving is an achievement.

All of the acting is first-rate. Mahershala Ali deserves his "Best Supporting" for a nuanced, strong performance in a role that's essential to setting the groundwork for this story, and also, let's face it, for sheer charisma, but every one else was also terrific, including Little at all his ages, Kevin at all his ages, Janelle Monae, and the heartbreaking Naomie Harris.

This is a humanizing movie; if you have a heart at all, seeing it makes you want to give people a break when you wonder why they do the crazy or criminal things they do. That said, I'd love to see a cast this strong do a modern story mostly removed from the 'hood. The setting enhances understanding but probably also reinforces stereotypes.
December 16, 2018
Interesting and unique film Not as moving to me as I expected, but I do think it was very well crafted and deserved the Oscar. Excellent acting performances. Beautiful cinematography also.
December 16, 2018
Mahershala Ali's character was underdeveloped. He won an award for being in 20 minutes of a movie...This film felt like it was going somewhere positive, but instead ended on a note that being a drug dealer is a happy ending.