Mortal Kombat: Annihilation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation Reviews

½ September 24, 2016
Should have never been made
½ August 25, 2016
One of the worst films ever made!!!
August 17, 2016
Plagued by terrible special FX, lackluster fight scenes, and a lack of plot and character development, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation destroys both the good intentions of its predecessor, and the hope for a credible film franchise based on the popular fighting game.
½ July 29, 2016
After the first was a box office success and fans of the game were pretty much happy with the film, It was obvious a sequel would come and spoil the first and it did, It picks up right from where the first ended but we only have 2 of the original cast, So straight away we moan plus it was a very poor acting performance by all the cast, The plot of the first film was silly but it felt faithfull to the game but in this one it was just silly and felt very lazy, With cheap special effects and poor action scenes there's nothing to shout about in this movie except that they added more characters from the game but most were under used, It's cheap, Lazy and should never have been made but at least the soundtrack is still as cool as ever.
½ July 7, 2016
The action is great, but wow- I'm amazed that the script was passed off and that the visuals were and are as bad as they are...
½ June 21, 2016
Mortal Kombat Annihilation is a horrible mess of plot,chessy effects,too many meaningless jumps,laughable script,cringe filled acting.Mortal Kombat Annihilation fails to relate and live up to the classic game and to entertain its critics and audiences
June 21, 2016
Clearly a catastrophe as a sequel and overall film. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is forgettable, inconsistent and filled with mediocrity that's insulting to the famed-fighting-game that it's inspired by. 2/5
June 8, 2016
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is a mindless, non-funny, poorly written sequel to the entertaining first MK movie. It fails on almost every level and will leave you with nothing put disapppointment.
½ June 8, 2016
If you wanna laugh check
½ May 13, 2016
I vaguely remember the original MK back in the 90's, but what I don't remember is it being this incredibly corny with such horrible effects. This looked more like a cheap college production, and why make a Mortal Kombat movie if it's not going to have any blood or gore? I mean seriously.. this is a movie well worthy of MST3K treatment, I couldn't stomach this the whole way through. Tap out.
May 7, 2016
Well, time to choose your fighter, because my brutal review of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation starts now...

FIGHT!!!!!!!

So the first thing one would notice when this movie starts is the CGI. Yes, you can see where they imposed CGI and where a character is moving against a blue screen. The "special effects" are F-grade, the kind you find in a hapless hacker's basement.

The second thing you'll notice right away are the character designs. Never mind the latex on Sheeva, what made me laugh was Motaro's design. Wow, I didn't think that Tenacious D's devil from The Pick of Destiny would be more threatening than that. The dialogue is corny and idiotically spoken right out of the gates, and I know it's going to get worse.

So obviously, one of the things they try to do is make this more serious by having Johnny Cage become a classic red-shirt and get his neck snapped only 6 minutes into the film. That might be beneficial to preserving his character by having Cage cut from the cast list right away. I wouldn't be surprised if he refused to show up for the premiere of the film at the local AMC or even see it in theaters.

I should mention that Shao Kahn in this film looks like someone I would hang out with at the gym. The game's Shao Kahn is a mix of Tarkatan face and human; this one is not. That's not the image you want to give me. I thought that scene was a decent TV level conversation, but it could have been a bit better.

And of course, the final fight with the infamous CGI. It doesn't last long, but the CGI returns at the end of the fight.

So what can I say about this that hasn't already been said before? I know this film has already been dealt with by so many people, but I wanted to do my own look at it. Here's how I sum it up.

The dialogue is not particularly memorable, there are a lot of weird yells and grunts that did not endear me to the Kombatants not named Jax, and the CGI is awful. The only Mortal Kombat game I've ever played is the Sega Genesis version of the original, and I can say with full confidence that that game looks a hell of a lot better than this movie.

MKA is just a dumb-ass attempt to be a fantasy martial arts film, and surprisingly a step down from the original film. Next time, talk to Jackie Chan, Michael Dimartino or Bryan Konieztko regarding that idea, not the dummies who made this.
March 14, 2016
A film that has little to no understanding of story, structure or direction.
½ March 10, 2016
5.5/10
So bad, it was good...kinda. Almost. A little. Jax was the best character.
February 23, 2016
It feels so wrong to say this, but I just love this film - When will I ever grow up? This game has been around for decades now and I still adore it, because of its range of characters, background stories, special moves and gore content. The fact that it was made into a single film, never mind a sequel, was brilliant, and seeing those fighting skills come to life on a cinematic screen has just about made my wildest dream come true - Well maybe not quite true, but I do like it a lot. This story has a lot more action packed in, more of our favourites taking to the battlefield, and mortal kombat is evidenced heavily. A few of the villains are not done any justice as they are disposed of without even entering fisty cuffs, with some also being all talk and no action. As per usual in these films, I actually find the enemies more inspiring than the heroes, as the latter are often dull, sensible and lacking that injection of spunk that makes us root for them. If you're either female or never played the game before, you just won't get this at all, as it's very much a mans territory and also very sad to say the least - makes me a right computer geek, but who cares. Given I can't act, I feel this is the sort of movie that would suit me, hidden away in costume, not having to speak much given the low budget surrounding the production, and able to demonstrate flexible arms and legs - I'm a perfect fit I'd say, so sign me up for part 3 of the trilogy :)
½ January 26, 2016
F+
If the lines, choppy editing, terrible acting fit for a 'MST3K' commentary and bad CGI effects make you want to roll your eyes and toss this movie in the trash, you're not alone. I give this movie a thumbs up for trying to compare to the game and the first 'Mortal Kombat' which was actually praise-worthy for its effects, characters and martial-arts. But 'Annihilation' is a pass. Also the violence is unbearably sanitized making me wonder what an R-rated 'Mortal Kombat' would have been like.
January 6, 2016
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. I am a big MK fan but this movie is an insult to everything that is MK. And why did Johnny Cage get killed off in the first 5 minutes like?.
½ January 3, 2016
How to make a sequel to a bad film? Well, make it worse. While the first Mortal Kombat is entertaining and to some (including me) a guilty pleasure, it's not a good film. But this film takes "shitty" to a whole new level. The acting is horrendous, the story sounds like it was written by a five-year old, ... It actually hurt my eyes by how bad this thing even looked. Let's just put a bag over it's head, throw it in the basement and forget it ever existed.
½ December 20, 2015
Come on guys, you have to take this movie with a grain of salt. First, it's Mortal Kombat, so yeah. Second, they follow the general plot line fairly good actually, but in the movie it is done out terribly. Actors sounding like they're reading the script will make it seem like the plot is worse than it actually is.

For 1997, the graphics aren't TERRIBLE. Nowadays they're pretty bad. Overall, it's low budget as hell, so you should know that coming in.

P.s. When Sonya and Jax are fighting random people a demon comes out of nowhere and Jax punches it for 5 seconds and goes back in the ground. So unneeded and the demon thing looked terrible
December 18, 2015
Mortal Kombat 2 sees only one cast member the same from the first film, Lui Kang. After winning the competition it soon back fires and the world is at risk of being changed unless they win the fight one more time. Some of the effects looking back are terrible but its a film what you are use to when growing up.
Mortal Komabt !!!!!!!
½ December 15, 2015
Was this someone's senior project or something?