Mortal Kombat: Annihilation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation Reviews

½ June 5, 2017
The original was terrible but had a small schlocky charm in a way that a lot of 90's misfires had. This sequels sinks to unbelievable new lows with dopey action scenes and some of the worst special effects imaginable.
½ April 19, 2017
Why did they have to kill of johnny
March 15, 2017
I thought it was pretty dank
½ March 7, 2017
Watch for a good laugh at the awful special effects and acting.
December 14, 2016
Zero stars. All this movie has is crazy characters doing backflips and dragons that look like they're made of play-doh by a kindergartener! I never understood the plot because the video game is just you fighting another combatant!
½ December 13, 2016
Even though it's a horrible movie with a stupid plot, some of the laziest and worst action scenes, and zero likeable characters outside of maybe Sindel... its actually halfway decent for a Mortal Kombat story mode.
October 26, 2016
Mortal kombat: annihilation is very cheesy, but I did like the mindless action sequence.
½ October 17, 2016
es tan mala que produce lastima
½ September 24, 2016
Should have never been made
½ August 25, 2016
One of the worst films ever made!!!
jamrcla
½ July 29, 2016
After the first was a box office success and fans of the game were pretty much happy with the film, It was obvious a sequel would come and spoil the first and it did, It picks up right from where the first ended but we only have 2 of the original cast, So straight away we moan plus it was a very poor acting performance by all the cast, The plot of the first film was silly but it felt faithfull to the game but in this one it was just silly and felt very lazy, With cheap special effects and poor action scenes there's nothing to shout about in this movie except that they added more characters from the game but most were under used, It's cheap, Lazy and should never have been made but at least the soundtrack is still as cool as ever.
½ July 7, 2016
The action is great, but wow- I'm amazed that the script was passed off and that the visuals were and are as bad as they are...
½ June 21, 2016
Mortal Kombat Annihilation is a horrible mess of plot,chessy effects,too many meaningless jumps,laughable script,cringe filled acting.Mortal Kombat Annihilation fails to relate and live up to the classic game and to entertain its critics and audiences
June 21, 2016
Clearly a catastrophe as a sequel and overall film. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is forgettable, inconsistent and filled with mediocrity that's insulting to the famed-fighting-game that it's inspired by. 2/5
June 8, 2016
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is a mindless, non-funny, poorly written sequel to the entertaining first MK movie. It fails on almost every level and will leave you with nothing put disapppointment.
½ June 8, 2016
If you wanna laugh check
½ May 13, 2016
I vaguely remember the original MK back in the 90's, but what I don't remember is it being this incredibly corny with such horrible effects. This looked more like a cheap college production, and why make a Mortal Kombat movie if it's not going to have any blood or gore? I mean seriously.. this is a movie well worthy of MST3K treatment, I couldn't stomach this the whole way through. Tap out.
May 7, 2016
Well, time to choose your fighter, because my brutal review of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation starts now...

FIGHT!!!!!!!

So the first thing one would notice when this movie starts is the CGI. Yes, you can see where they imposed CGI and where a character is moving against a blue screen. The "special effects" are F-grade, the kind you find in a hapless hacker's basement.

The second thing you'll notice right away are the character designs. Never mind the latex on Sheeva, what made me laugh was Motaro's design. Wow, I didn't think that Tenacious D's devil from The Pick of Destiny would be more threatening than that. The dialogue is corny and idiotically spoken right out of the gates, and I know it's going to get worse.

So obviously, one of the things they try to do is make this more serious by having Johnny Cage become a classic red-shirt and get his neck snapped only 6 minutes into the film. That might be beneficial to preserving his character by having Cage cut from the cast list right away. I wouldn't be surprised if he refused to show up for the premiere of the film at the local AMC or even see it in theaters.

I should mention that Shao Kahn in this film looks like someone I would hang out with at the gym. The game's Shao Kahn is a mix of Tarkatan face and human; this one is not. That's not the image you want to give me. I thought that scene was a decent TV level conversation, but it could have been a bit better.

And of course, the final fight with the infamous CGI. It doesn't last long, but the CGI returns at the end of the fight.

So what can I say about this that hasn't already been said before? I know this film has already been dealt with by so many people, but I wanted to do my own look at it. Here's how I sum it up.

The dialogue is not particularly memorable, there are a lot of weird yells and grunts that did not endear me to the Kombatants not named Jax, and the CGI is awful. The only Mortal Kombat game I've ever played is the Sega Genesis version of the original, and I can say with full confidence that that game looks a hell of a lot better than this movie.

MKA is just a dumb-ass attempt to be a fantasy martial arts film, and surprisingly a step down from the original film. Next time, talk to Jackie Chan, Michael Dimartino or Bryan Konieztko regarding that idea, not the dummies who made this.
March 14, 2016
A film that has little to no understanding of story, structure or direction.
½ March 10, 2016
5.5/10
So bad, it was good...kinda. Almost. A little. Jax was the best character.