Mrs. Doubtfire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mrs. Doubtfire Reviews

July 23, 2017
Deliriously lovable, even more so after Williams' death. It's a shame though, there are so many amazing elements but it all seems so unrealistic and underdeveloped. Despite this and being way too sappy at times, the film is still hilarious and heartfelt and its not-so-perfect ending is something to commend.
June 21, 2017
This 1993 film shows the immeasurable love of a father that does anything to spend time with his children. A good comedy with the very talented Robin Williams who always entertained with a new voice and was awarded the Golden Globe for his performance. An Academy Award for its excellent Makeup, obviously! Euphegenia Doubtfire will always be one of his best characters.
½ June 10, 2017
'MRS DOUBTFIRE' was directed by Chris Columbus and stars Robin Williams, Sally Field and Lisa Jakub. ?After a divorce results in David Hillard(Robin Williams) only seeing his kids once per week, David decides to embody Mrs Doubtfire, a happy go lucky nanny who applies to be the nanny for his kids. But as his normal persona and Mrs Doubtfire collide in everyday life, things begin to spiral out of control.

I think this movie deserves the award for the most mental concept of a film. This movie beats of 'Armageddon' and 'Face/Off' for that title for me because, if you look into the psyche of David, it's the most random and absurd premise of a movie ever. Robin Williams tries his very best as Mrs Doubtfire and provides some wicked one liners that can make your stomach hurt. On the flipside of that, his performance of David Hillard was very weak and any of his slapstick comedy was very weak and poorly done. This movie is certainly one way to pass the time but I could think of a dozen better ways to spend it.

The actual story for this movie is very bland and it contains weird subplots and arcs that are never finished. It's very slow starting off and only gets interesting 20-25 minutes in, perhaps. The ending is also overly sappy and they REALLY hammer in the message. Granted, it's a good message but they could have been a LOT more subtle.

Sally Field was perfectly passable as Miranda Hillard but neither impressed me or directly annoyed me. She was present and performed her role perfectly well. I honestly despise the children in this movie. They are annoying and serve no real purpose other than being motivation for a character. Their performances were pretty weak and none of them were enjoyable or entertaining to watch on screen. Pierce Brosnan was dull and bland as Stu and also served no real purpose to the story. The 'villain'(yeah, I'm calling them that) was very weak and also did nothing other that irk Hillard.

This movie is technically proficient. The costume design is marvellous and Mrs Doubtfire is genuinely fantastic. The set design was fine but could seem a little generic and bland at certain intervals. The movie was competently shot and I have no major complains other than some dodgy editing and overly long shots at points in the movie.

This movie is entertaining and definitely has some moments that could make you cry with laughter. These moments are too few and far between. Williams' tries his best to keep the movie afloat and does deliver some hysterically funny one liners but aside from that, it was just an okay movie. Nothing was particularly impressive. If you've got nothing else to watch, see it. You will have some level of enjoyment but aside from that I cannot recommend it. I'll rate it 5 Psychotic Fathers out of 10.
May 28, 2017
Mrs Doubtfire is a movie about a couple who divorce due to indifference's in personalities and lack of love. Which causes a very hard battle of custody for their kids. This causes the main character, Daniel (Played by the late Robin Williams), to dress as a women and pretend to be someone else just so he can spend time with his kids. This movie is not only a great family movie, it also has a wholehearted movie with great fell to it's emotions. What I'm trying to say is that you really feel for the characters in this movie. It to me is a flawless movie, except for maybe some of the dialogue, but at the same time the inane dialogue is some of the most humorous. It is in my opinion, one of Robin Williams funniest and emotional movies. (It's obviously got nothing on Hook and Aladdin but still great) One of the main things that I love about this movie is that none of the characters feel like they're just there. That all feel like they have a purpose in this movie, except for his brothers boyfriend, that guy is just weird. But all an all, a great family movie for people to enjoy every now and again and a show of great acting from everybody in it.
May 26, 2017
The onscreen presence of Robin Williams is always welcome. But what shines the most in Mrs. Doubtfire is it's ability to bring laughs, tears, and heart into a feel good comedy about family
May 17, 2017
So good. Very funny and probably my favourite robin Williams film
April 25, 2017
Very funny and clever movie. Williams was a great.
April 13, 2017
Some of Robin Williams' greatest movies
½ April 12, 2017
A very heartwarming comedy with a decent message! One of Robin Williams best films.
March 25, 2017
I'm still amazed that despite the antics get still managed to really touch the heart of divorce and it's impact on families in way that was touching and accessible to children. Everything about this movie is perfect, not the least of which is Robin Williams.
March 20, 2017
Fun when you're a kid but lags over the years
½ January 4, 2017
While it all ends in a predictable climax, Mrs. Doubtfire proves to be an acceptably heartwarming and amusing family comedy as well as a meaningful meditation on what it means to be in a divorced family.
December 13, 2016
Mrs Doubtfire is arguably one of Robin Williams' best films to date. The film makes its premise work, Williams is hilarious when his character dresses in drag, adopts a Scottish accent and becomes his titular alter-ego and the film even has a bit of charm to it thanks to some fine direction from the likes of Chris Columbus. It may be rated PG-13 but it's still fun for the whole family.
December 7, 2016
While Robin William's whimsical character can warm anyone's heart, the movie "Mrs. Doubtfire" did an excellent job of confronting taboo issues many families face in a way that was relatable for both kids and parents. Daniel and Miranda have been struggling in their marriage for quite some time now. A majority of the relationship problems this couple faces stem from Daniel's childish behavior and inability to maintain a job or help out around the house. When Miranda realizes the love she once had for Daniel is no longer there, she wants a divorce. Miranda is awarded full custody of the children and in a desperate attempt to see his kids more than once a week Daniel dresses up as an old English woman to get the job as the kids' nanny. While this movie shows the lengths both a mother and a father will go to, to ensure their child is being properly cared for and loved, it also helps children of parents who are divorced realize that their family is not broken and what happened is not their fault.
½ December 2, 2016
One of the funniest performances Robin Williams has ever done with not just strong comedy, but strong heart and has potential to be one of my favorite movies someday.
October 10, 2016
Wish Robin Williams was still alive.
October 9, 2016
Amazing acting and great comedy
September 17, 2016
Can't go wrong with some Doubtfire.
September 6, 2016
Hilarious and good story
August 23, 2016
The late Robin Williams was one of the great talents in the comedy world. He could not only crack some super hilarious jokes in standup and in movies but he had such a high paced energy to him that found its way into his impressions and voices that he used to do. Mrs Doubtfire is a film that absolutely showcases his ability to do just that.
Williams plays Daniel Hillard a voice actor who gets fired from his job at the start of the film. We then are introduced to a man who loves his kids and does whatever he can to make them happy even if it causes a ruckus with his estranged wife Miranda who finally divorces him. As per a deal with the trial if Daniel can get his life together and create a suitable living environment for the kids the judge may reexamine the case. Miranda mentions to him one night that she is hiring a baby sitter and this sparks the lightbulb in his head. Daniel then proceeds to use his skills with voices as well as his brothers makeup team to become a female nanny named Mrs Doubtfire. From their hilarity ensues.
Pretty good film here. The humor was decently funny to say the least. Good directing from Chris Columbus. great script and plot, I was stunned by the early curveball in the story. I wont say what but it was quite surprising to see so early on. It shares some similarities to tootsie. Only its more family friendly and the stakes are different this time
Robin Williams range of voices is absolutely amazing! he had true talent for that. He pulls off a remarkable performance in the title role. The same level of desperation that Dustin Hoffman's tootsie character had is here too with Daniel. He looks so unrecognizable here. this film I think most displays his ability to improvise on the spot I was stunned at the stories he was coming up with and how believable they were he coulda been a con artist if he hadn't done acting. sally field plays quite a headstrong woman here. This is sort of the role men play but she does a good job of flipping the script.
Tremendous costume design. the final scene was predictable that's the only negative thing I will say about this flick. the ending however was a surprise. Great comedy film go check it out