Mrs. Doubtfire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mrs. Doubtfire Reviews

½ April 16, 2018
The early 1990's film, Mrs. Doubtfire, captures the drama of a rocky marriage with the comedic element of impersonation. When first viewing the film, one may consider it a drama/comedy, but upon taking a closer look, one discovers evidence that the film is a subgroup of the Romantic Comedy genre. The film can be viewed as a divorce romantic comedy, in which going through or having had a divorce helps the characters to grow individually, helping them to appreciate their partner more and helping the partner appreciate them more. In Mrs. Doubtfire, the wife (Sally Field), proposes the break up of the marriage. She feels like she does not have support from her husband in taking care of the cleaning, cooking and the kids. The husband (Robin Williams), is out of a job and, missing his kids, impersonates a British nanny who is hired by Field's character. Williams get to be with his kids and learns from his wife what she always wanted from him. William's acting ability speaks for itself as he transforms time and time again between Mrs. Doubtfire and dad. We get to experience the change Williams is able to bring to the screen in voice and body that makes audiences forget that Mrs. Doubtfire and the children's dad is the same person. The dialogue in the film is able to make the most dramatic of moments humorous and the most humorous of moments dramatic, keeping the viewer engaged throughout.

The film captures the idea of "remarriage", written extensively about by Stanley Cavell. Over time, I have interpreted "remarriage" as a couple who has been in a relationship with one another before, we know that they love each other and are "meant to be", but in the present time, we do not know why they are meant to be or how they will realize they are. The film Crazy, Stupid, Love also focuses around a remarriage plot within the sub genre of divorce romantic comedy. Steve Carell and Julianne Moore's character's are going to get divorced, but each, throughout the film, grows to have new personality characteristics and traits that helps them to see that they do not want a divorce, but rather each other. Mrs.Doubtfire is similar to that film because both members of the relationship change, resulting in the the partner liking the other better for their new efforts and traits. The main difference in films is the of ambiguity in Mrs.Doubtfire of whether the main couple will get back together again. Mrs. Doubtfire is a critically acclaimed piece, but not for it's ability to reinterpret and refreshed the romantic comedy genre. The next time you're at home on a Saturday night and watch the film, you can tell your coworkers on Monday you watched a Rom Com over the weekend.
½ March 19, 2018
Man cross dresses to have visitation with his children
½ February 24, 2018
The premise is one-note, but "Mrs. Doubtfire" is also warmly funny.
February 11, 2018
great fun movie for all ages
½ February 4, 2018
Funny, endearing, fun, suspenseful feel-good movie. Robin Wiliams as his or should I say her best. Sally's acting was realistic. The backdrop of an SF setting sealed the deal.
½ December 7, 2017
This is a classic movie that many people have seen a comedy about a man who divorces his wife and impersonates an old woman by dressing up and having his ex-wife hire him as the kids' nanny. As funny as this movie is it also portrays what some kids have to go through in a divorce, even though the extreme of their father pretending to be their nanny is not a common method many fathers go through to see and be with their kids on a daily basis when they do not have full custody in their kids. Daniel's wife, Miranda, realizes that Daniel is not taking their marriage seriously anymore and believes that he is a child that is stuck inside a man's body. However, Daniel cleans up his act and creates the identity, Mrs. Doubtfire, to trick his wife into letting him spend time with his children. Turns out Daniel really can be a mature, responsible adult! Overall, this movie has much more of a toll on family aspects than it does comedy.
November 16, 2017
Mrs. Doubtfire is a childhood favorite that is overly dated in some of its humor and sometimes excessively sentimental, but still it holds up pretty well thanks to Robin Williams' very strong performance in a highly memorable role, some charming and funny scenes and a great ending. It is a very flawed, but undeniably sweet and pleasant family flick.
October 8, 2017
I really love this Robin Williams movie so much, its funny movie for my childhood. but well gonna miss this guy who really made us laughs of all time Evers
September 2, 2017
Robin Williams tends to be funny in this movie
July 29, 2017
Robin Williams is an amazing dad and nanny in this movie!
July 23, 2017
Deliriously lovable, even more so after Williams' death. It's a shame though, there are so many amazing elements but it all seems so unrealistic and underdeveloped. Despite this and being way too sappy at times, the film is still hilarious and heartfelt and its not-so-perfect ending is something to commend.
June 21, 2017
This 1993 film shows the immeasurable love of a father that does anything to spend time with his children. A good comedy with the very talented Robin Williams who always entertained with a new voice and was awarded the Golden Globe for his performance. An Academy Award for its excellent Makeup, obviously! Euphegenia Doubtfire will always be one of his best characters.
½ June 10, 2017
'MRS DOUBTFIRE' was directed by Chris Columbus and stars Robin Williams, Sally Field and Lisa Jakub. ?After a divorce results in David Hillard(Robin Williams) only seeing his kids once per week, David decides to embody Mrs Doubtfire, a happy go lucky nanny who applies to be the nanny for his kids. But as his normal persona and Mrs Doubtfire collide in everyday life, things begin to spiral out of control.

I think this movie deserves the award for the most mental concept of a film. This movie beats of 'Armageddon' and 'Face/Off' for that title for me because, if you look into the psyche of David, it's the most random and absurd premise of a movie ever. Robin Williams tries his very best as Mrs Doubtfire and provides some wicked one liners that can make your stomach hurt. On the flipside of that, his performance of David Hillard was very weak and any of his slapstick comedy was very weak and poorly done. This movie is certainly one way to pass the time but I could think of a dozen better ways to spend it.

The actual story for this movie is very bland and it contains weird subplots and arcs that are never finished. It's very slow starting off and only gets interesting 20-25 minutes in, perhaps. The ending is also overly sappy and they REALLY hammer in the message. Granted, it's a good message but they could have been a LOT more subtle.

Sally Field was perfectly passable as Miranda Hillard but neither impressed me or directly annoyed me. She was present and performed her role perfectly well. I honestly despise the children in this movie. They are annoying and serve no real purpose other than being motivation for a character. Their performances were pretty weak and none of them were enjoyable or entertaining to watch on screen. Pierce Brosnan was dull and bland as Stu and also served no real purpose to the story. The 'villain'(yeah, I'm calling them that) was very weak and also did nothing other that irk Hillard.

This movie is technically proficient. The costume design is marvellous and Mrs Doubtfire is genuinely fantastic. The set design was fine but could seem a little generic and bland at certain intervals. The movie was competently shot and I have no major complains other than some dodgy editing and overly long shots at points in the movie.

This movie is entertaining and definitely has some moments that could make you cry with laughter. These moments are too few and far between. Williams' tries his best to keep the movie afloat and does deliver some hysterically funny one liners but aside from that, it was just an okay movie. Nothing was particularly impressive. If you've got nothing else to watch, see it. You will have some level of enjoyment but aside from that I cannot recommend it. I'll rate it 5 Psychotic Fathers out of 10.
May 28, 2017
Mrs Doubtfire is a movie about a couple who divorce due to indifference's in personalities and lack of love. Which causes a very hard battle of custody for their kids. This causes the main character, Daniel (Played by the late Robin Williams), to dress as a women and pretend to be someone else just so he can spend time with his kids. This movie is not only a great family movie, it also has a wholehearted movie with great fell to it's emotions. What I'm trying to say is that you really feel for the characters in this movie. It to me is a flawless movie, except for maybe some of the dialogue, but at the same time the inane dialogue is some of the most humorous. It is in my opinion, one of Robin Williams funniest and emotional movies. (It's obviously got nothing on Hook and Aladdin but still great) One of the main things that I love about this movie is that none of the characters feel like they're just there. That all feel like they have a purpose in this movie, except for his brothers boyfriend, that guy is just weird. But all an all, a great family movie for people to enjoy every now and again and a show of great acting from everybody in it.
May 26, 2017
The onscreen presence of Robin Williams is always welcome. But what shines the most in Mrs. Doubtfire is it's ability to bring laughs, tears, and heart into a feel good comedy about family
May 17, 2017
So good. Very funny and probably my favourite robin Williams film
April 25, 2017
Very funny and clever movie. Williams was a great.
April 13, 2017
Some of Robin Williams' greatest movies
½ April 12, 2017
A very heartwarming comedy with a decent message! One of Robin Williams best films.