Mrs. Doubtfire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mrs. Doubtfire Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
½ September 4, 2007
Only The late Robin Williams has ever been able to pull off being a woman! An overrated movie but it holds genuine emotion and comedy to be family gold!
August 18, 2014
No doubt about it - Robin Williams is brilliant!
cosmo313
June 10, 2006
An eccentric actor specializing in voice over work takes drastic measures to be with his kids after a bitter divorce from his nagging shrew of a wife gains sole custody of their three children. His solution: get his makeup artist brother (and the brother's partner) to make an impressive set of clothes and prosthetics to become Mrs. Doubtfire-the new Scottish nanny hired by his ex-wife to take care of the kids and the house while she focuses on her career.

It's a high concept film that really works. It was great in the 90s, and it still holds up quite well over 20 years later.

Chris Columbus is a rather hit and miss director at times, but this is easily one of his best. It's funny, memorable, highly quotable, and really does a good job at dealing with tough topics. Divorce is hard on kids and their parents, and the film shows this, but does so in a way where the comedy and drama are mixed pretty evenly.

Robin Williams puts his talents to very effective use, and it seems to me as if this role was tailor made for him. He gets to run wild with his shtick, yes, but he also shows his true acting chops when needed as well, and, though he is immature, he changes, and it is earned. Sally Field, good actress though she is, is rather one note here as the nagging wife. She gives the role a bit more weight due to her skill, but sadly it's still not the most developed or fleshed out role. The three kids (including Mara Wilson in her film debut) are fine enough, though the older daughter can be a really unlikable bitch at times. Also, it cracks me up how the boy kinda looks like Dave Grohl to an extent.

Other people who show up are Pierce Brosnan as a well-to-do snob trying to take over Williams's role as family man, Robert Prosky as Williams's boss at his court-appointed job, and Harvey Fierstein as the makeup artist brother.

The film does run long, and, as I said, some of the characters are not all that likeable or developed, but overall, this is a well meaning, enjoyable, and pretty memorable blast.
TheDudeLebowski65
October 15, 2011
Mrs. Doubtfire is an interesting comedy with a pretty good cast. Starring Robin Williams who plays Daniel Hilliard a voice actor who though is a loving, caring father cannot be a strict one, and eventually his wife played by Sally Field files for divorce after a disastrous birthday party. He hatches a plan to see his kids more often due to the fact that his wife has gotten custody of their kids, thus he poses as a maid named Mrs. Doubtfire. The film is well directed by Chris Columbus and he is able to craft a good comedy that the whole family can enjoy. Sure the film could have been improved, but for what it is, Mrs. Doubtfire is lots of fun. There's good comedy at work here, and the cast deliver good performances. Obviously the actor that holds this film together is Robin Williams, and he gives one of his most unique performances here. The film is not perfect, and it does possess flaws, however the film is still a well crafted comedy that has plenty of good laughs and drama to appeal to anyone looking for a good family oriented comedy. The film works well enough, and is entertaining. Mrs. Doubtfire has been compared to Tootsie; however this one was based on book. Either way, both films are good, and Mrs. Doubtfire is a good comedy worth watching with your family. There's a good cast here that work very well with the humor, and Williams delivers a great humorous performance, he was the perfect choice for the part. Despite its flaws, Mrs. Doubtfire is a good film worth seeing.
bug761
September 1, 2011
While Robin Williams is a great and funny actor, deeming this movie Family Friendly didn't sit well with me. Taking God's name in vain in front of a child and then have that child repeat it back to her mother wasn't a smart thing to do. I don't think this movie is for all ages and parental supervision should be required. Aside from that, I liked this movie pretty well and had some good laughs. Robin is great in that old woman get up. I like the fact that they tol the story about how divorce affects everyone in the family. They did put a comedic spin on this movie and it was worth the watch.
DreamExtractor
March 1, 2011
Tootsie all over again, but funnier and cooler, a great film.
August 9, 2011
Another one of my kid classics. Gotta love it.
CloudStrife84
April 8, 2007
Having been a child of divorce myself, there were many things I could relate to when I saw this the first time around. Now, after seeing it again more than ten years later, I still love it as much as I did back then. The story is heartfelt and genuine, despite the fact that it isn't very believable in certain aspects. What matters here though, is all the fun, laughter and great entertainment that it manages to provide, mostly thanks to Robin Williams, who really knows how to kick life into these sort of family movies. And finally a word to all the movie cynics out there: if you want realism, go watch a documentary. If you want to be entertained for once, as compared to all the dull and soulless family flicks being produced these days, see Mrs. Doubtfire. For it might just make your day a little brighter.
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
A childhood favourite and a classic!
September 6, 2010
This movie is both serious and funny, I loved it when I was younger, as I could relate to the kids in the movie. Plus, it's one of Williams' best performances in my opinion. I highly recommend this movie.
½ February 3, 2011
A childhood favorite. Not sure what you were doing in the early 90s if you missed out on this one.
theunknownhobo
November 16, 2010
I used to love this movie as a kid but as I watch it as an adult I wonder why I loved it so much. Robin Williams plays his part in this movie and without him I do not think it would be regarded as highly as some do but for the most part the acting was irritating and the humour mostly recycled. I own it but it does not own me as all great movies do.
January 22, 2011
A classic venture into the "drag queen to get the girl" genre. Robin Williams presents his most normal and most bizarre character of all time. By day, he is a freakishly homely Scottish nanny and by night he is a newly divorced single father. Genius! I love the escapades he goes through to keep his secret and the whole politically incorrect/creepy peeing standing up scene. This movie has enough laughs and nostalgia to warrant its label as a classic.
½ February 4, 2007
Robin Williams has starred in some good films: Good Morning Vietnam, Insominia; he also starred in a few unforgettable ones too. Mrs Doubtfire was a film I used to love as a kid- I first remembered that as soon as it came out on video, I snapped it up quick. I used to watch it over and over because I couldn't get enough of it, but as I got older, I watched Mrs Doubtfire for the first time in my 20s a few years back, and afterwards, I could never get my head around the hype of this movie, as I realised how unrealistic this portrayal of divorcée parents was. Miranda- played by a somewhat mis casted Sally Field- decides to divorce husband Daniel (Robin Williams), after enduring years of his mis haps and childish shenanigans, especially when she arrives home to a group of screaming kids messing up the house and discovering that Daniel has thrown a birthday party for his son, which descends into chaos.

Daniel is devastated-, although he is just as devastated when he is told by the court that he can only have the kids once a week, which prompts him to turn to his gay brother and boyfriend for support. With latex, a cheap wig, a dress and a pair of stockings, he later becomes Mrs Doubtfire- a Scottish nanny, of whom Miranda hires to look after the children, whilst she goes off to work. Miranda gets a new boyfriend named Stuart, played by Pierce Brosnan and here he comes across as a somewhat slimy, two-faced piece of work. But he only gets a few lines and as Stuart, character-wise he was so pedestrian and almost one-dimensional.

Mrs Doubtfire is a comical farce- but whilst Robin Williams efforts as Mrs Doubtfire are at times funny, I thought the circumstances that led to the couple's break up was, for a comedy, just ridiculous. Plus, the conclusion was rather out of sync and so far removed from reality. I understand that with divorce cases especially when kids are involved, there is hardly a happy ending. And whilst the last scenes did imply that there was some hope for Miranda and Daniel, the truth is they are no longer together as a couple and are no longer in love with one another. The ending was neither here or there-although it was realistic enough to be believed. In fact, the ending was much more believable than the other aspects of the film itself.

The cast were at best okay: I've seen Robin Williams act better and do better than in this movie, I thought Sally as Miranda was too stuck-up and as I said earlier, she was mis-casted as that character.

And by the way, Mrs Doubtfire was indeed Scottish, not English as the writers of the film have pointed out.

Having said that, the gag's and jokes, whilst they were enjoyable for a few times, eventually became tedious and tiresome. The sentimentality of it became nauseating and the cutesy factor was short-lived. The younger ones will love it more, i'm sure but for a so-called family film dealing with the complicated issue of divorce, Mrs Doubtfire was at most sappy and saccharine sweet.

Mrs Doubtfire is not Tootsie- it is nowhere as good as Tootsie; yes this film can be funny on occasions but in all, it just doesn't cut it. It is just a tad too long, too predictable and with some scenes, you often have to wait for some time for something really interesting to happen within the film.

In all though, this is a rather bog-standard affair, with nothing remotely new to offer to the audience. It is a film about a guy who dresses up as a woman, in order for him to see his children. With Tootsie, it's about a guy- who like Daniel is an actor- who dresses up as a woman in order for him to secure a part in a daytime soap opera. That movie is far more substantial and interesting; some would say it is also funnier than Mrs Doubtfire, which is in truth more of a melodrama, rather than a comedy-based film.

Mrs Doubtfire is at best very average, but it is way overrated and compared to Some Like It Hot and Tootsie, it trails behind by a couple of metres. It is a rehash of the cross-dressing elements of those films juxtaposed onto a family friendly context, but it is done in a not so successful and efficient way.

This is really a poor man's Tootsie, and whilst it can be funny at times, it does come across as being banal and predictable for a movie that Mrs Doubtfire is.
½ September 15, 2007
Unbalanced a little too goofy, but a comedy smash that features Robin Williams at the top of his comedic game. A little manipulative and some of the dialogue rings false, but I really do like this movie.
MeetMeinMontauk
October 20, 2010
How have I missed this movie?! I ADORE this movie! Weird if you think about it and hilarious!! LOVED it as a kid and still do. Quote it at will.
June 24, 2010
I didn't like it that much. C
3niR
½ June 12, 2010
This was a nice movie. Mara Wilson is so cute.
May 28, 2006
One of the funniest films I have ever seen. I don't work with the males because I ust to be one
½ January 18, 2010
Extremely funny and original! I would actually like them to make a pointless sequel, because it would be enjoyable!