My Friend Dahmer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Friend Dahmer Reviews

March 10, 2018
great thriller the actor who played dahmer was spot on he has a future he'll be big i Hollywood in a few years
March 9, 2018
Slow moving, so it's certainly not for everyone, but as a true crime enthusiast and big fan of the graphic novel on which it's based, my friend dahmer is a sensitively mounted look at a disturbed youth, anchored by strong performances and a naturalistic approach to the filmmaking. Ross lynch and anne heche are particularly strong here; lynch's performance is particularly evocative when staring hungrily at men he is attracted to, when he attempts to be 'normal' around the girl he asks to prom, and when he is staggeringly drunk at school in the mornings. i would really like to see his murderous period covered in this same style - a movie that would surely be much more of a crowd pleaser - but my friend dahmer definitely succeeds at what it is trying to be.
½ March 6, 2018
Not a bad movie, but not really good or interesting either (what's up with the all caps new rotten tomatoes page?) and shouldn't a movie call "my friend dahmer" be told from a friends point of view?
½ March 3, 2018
Slow and not very accurate based an most accounts I have read. Extremely disappointed. I really wanted it to be good.
½ March 3, 2018
Wasn't sure what to expect with this one. Not sure what it was trying to portray - the bullying, his home life or was it within him personally - that led to him doing the horrible things he did. I guess it gives us a little more insight into life before the first victim, though doesn't excuse anything.
½ February 25, 2018
More importantly, I searched for tons of facts about Jeffery Dahmer while watching this film. Did you know he still has a brother that changed his name and is somewhere not known to the public. Not to mention, how would you like to be the girl that said yes to him for prom?
February 23, 2018
"My Friend Dahmer" is a movie that's more about adolescence than about an infamous American serial killer.
February 22, 2018
Decent performances, simplistic dialogue, nice cinematography, leisure pace but overall not very exciting or interesting. Boring at times as well.
½ February 18, 2018
It really told a side of the story that we really didn't need. We were expecting this movie to go more in depth over what happened with his story
February 18, 2018
Not for the faint of hear, yet not for the action film oriented. There are no grisly murders (spoiler!), and it's not full of crazy action. It's an introspective into the mindset of someone that simply doesn't know his way thru the world. It is mentally disturbing, but well worthy of a view.
½ February 17, 2018
A look into his teenage years, before he became a serial killer.

- The movie is well done.
- The time era feels authentic.
- The portrayal feels authentic.
- The casting of every character is good.
- Ross Lynch is compelling to watch.

- It'll be hard to watch because you know who he is.

It'll be hard to watch knowing what he became, but it's an interesting look into his teenage years, which gives us some more back story. The movie doesn't sensationalize what he did, but rather bluntly shows his beginnings before he decides go through with the life he'd chosen. The movie does not want you to empathize in a traditional way, but does place the cards on the table and let you make of it what you will, and puts a human behind the person he would become. The movie is being told to you by his cartoonist friend, John Backderf, who wrote this novel about their teenage friendship.
½ February 15, 2018
Fascinating look at the life of young Jeffrey Dahmer, giving viewers both insight into his detached and eccentric behaviour, as well as a touch of empathy for a troubled boy going through a difficult upbringing.
"Lionel Dahmer: You need to be more normal!"
February 14, 2018
This movie is not as all what it is made out to be. The whole thing is extremely boring, and it seems to never get to the point. As a teenager interested in films based on true stories, this did not satisfy my expectations one bit. The acting is not bad, but I was expecting some action which does NOT happen through out the ENTIRE movie. Very boring. Would not reccomend.
½ February 13, 2018
A deeply unsettling portrait of a damaged soul that allows us to peer into his abysmal core and sympathize with his demons without condoning his actions. An important, tragic and disturbing picture that deftly walks the line between exploitation and true intellectual honesty.
½ February 13, 2018
Watchable but not a particularly riveting film
February 13, 2018
Have sort of a problem giving sympathy to a cannibal. I don't have many morals, but I do have some limits.
February 12, 2018
Will not lie, i watched this film because i cant resist a good serial killer, and i was bored of reading the internet for details of their lives. This film, though not as gripping as i hoped, was still incredibly interesting. Which, as i watched it at 3am, managed to keep me interested throughout. It was a good, humanising and real portrayal of Dahmer's teen years. The casting was certainly an interesting choice and announcement, but i was happily surprised at the ex-disney star's performance. A very good start to a new part of his career. My only confusion is that the advertisement was slightly misleading, along with the title. This isn't really about the friendship that Dahmer had. It much more focuses on what led up to his choices leading to him becoming a killer, and the struggles of his home life. To title the film after what is one of the smaller aspects of the film is odd. But i cannot fault Ross Lynch's performance, and development of this character. Truly interesting and worth a watch
February 12, 2018
This does exactly what it set out to do. Show you a slow descend into madness of a high school kid with a troubled home and school life. If you are looking for a serial killer flick, this is not it, this is more, the making of a serial killer.
February 9, 2018