My Friend Dahmer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Friend Dahmer Reviews

February 21, 2018
Decent performances, simplistic dialogue, nice cinematography, leisure pace but overall not very exciting, interesting and boring at times = this.
½ February 18, 2018
It really told a side of the story that we really didn't need. We were expecting this movie to go more in depth over what happened with his story
February 18, 2018
Not for the faint of hear, yet not for the action film oriented. There are no grisly murders (spoiler!), and it's not full of crazy action. It's an introspective into the mindset of someone that simply doesn't know his way thru the world. It is mentally disturbing, but well worthy of a view.
½ February 17, 2018
A look into his teenage years, before he became a serial killer.

Pros
- The movie is well done.
- The time era feels authentic.
- The portrayal feels authentic.
- The casting of every character is good.
- Ross Lynch is compelling to watch.

Cons
- It'll be hard to watch because you know who he is.

It'll be hard to watch knowing what he became, but it's an interesting look into his teenage years, which gives us some more back story. The movie doesn't sensationalize what he did, but rather bluntly shows his beginnings before he decides go through with the life he'd chosen. The movie does not want you to empathize in a traditional way, but does place the cards on the table and let you make of it what you will, and puts a human behind the person he would become. The movie is being told to you by his cartoonist friend, John Backderf, who wrote this novel about their teenage friendship.
½ February 15, 2018
Fascinating look at the life of young Jeffrey Dahmer, giving viewers both insight into his detached and eccentric behaviour, as well as a touch of empathy for a troubled boy going through a difficult upbringing.
"Lionel Dahmer: You need to be more normal!"
February 14, 2018
This movie is not as all what it is made out to be. The whole thing is extremely boring, and it seems to never get to the point. As a teenager interested in films based on true stories, this did not satisfy my expectations one bit. The acting is not bad, but I was expecting some action which does NOT happen through out the ENTIRE movie. Very boring. Would not reccomend.
½ February 13, 2018
A deeply unsettling portrait of a damaged soul that allows us to peer into his abysmal core and sympathize with his demons without condoning his actions. An important, tragic and disturbing picture that deftly walks the line between exploitation and true intellectual honesty.
½ February 13, 2018
Watchable but not a particularly riveting film
February 13, 2018
Have sort of a problem giving sympathy to a cannibal. I don't have many morals, but I do have some limits.
February 12, 2018
Will not lie, i watched this film because i cant resist a good serial killer, and i was bored of reading the internet for details of their lives. This film, though not as gripping as i hoped, was still incredibly interesting. Which, as i watched it at 3am, managed to keep me interested throughout. It was a good, humanising and real portrayal of Dahmer's teen years. The casting was certainly an interesting choice and announcement, but i was happily surprised at the ex-disney star's performance. A very good start to a new part of his career. My only confusion is that the advertisement was slightly misleading, along with the title. This isn't really about the friendship that Dahmer had. It much more focuses on what led up to his choices leading to him becoming a killer, and the struggles of his home life. To title the film after what is one of the smaller aspects of the film is odd. But i cannot fault Ross Lynch's performance, and development of this character. Truly interesting and worth a watch
February 12, 2018
This does exactly what it set out to do. Show you a slow descend into madness of a high school kid with a troubled home and school life. If you are looking for a serial killer flick, this is not it, this is more, the making of a serial killer.
February 9, 2018
Fascinating! Well done!
½ February 7, 2018
You will learn a lot about Jeffrey Dahmer.... if after watching this movie you go on wikipedia and read about him. This movie is about his life pre-killing. "The reason history is so important, is you truly will never know yourselves until you come to better understand your past." Got that, and I agree. But let's be honest, it's not like this guy invented the psychotic-wheel! It's basic 101 crazy dude (animals in jars and so on). So after watching it I have to ask myself: would have not being better making a movie about the things he did "post-past"?
February 7, 2018
very underwhelming but it's an impressive performance by Ross Lynch handling a more grown up role
Jefferey Dahmer was a shy, introvert obsessed with bones and dissolving remains
he then finds an unlikely group of friends who are into all kinds of strange antics
eventually he becomes accepted into the social crowd but his parents constant bickering with one another may be the driving force is what sends him down the violent path he's known for today
he admitted to killing 17 men by the 1990's and this film tries to go inside his thought process
you don't really see enough of the psychotic violent side of his personality, just the good parts before he went all postal
if they had dug deeper into why he started killing the movie would've felt more like it had enough staying power
yes it's uncomfortable in spots but you're really expecting more of the he-snaps at-that=moment more often
should've been more risky in its storytelling
February 6, 2018
Great performance by Ross Lynch
½ February 6, 2018
"My Friend Dahmer" is the worst movie of 2017, and the worst release of 2018 (so far). The movies slow pace and terrible dialogue make for a slow, long drawn out movie that has no real plot, the trailer makes it seem to be the downfall of one of America's most infamous serial killers, and how he became the way he was. The movie reminds me of something you would hear about as a "Lifetime Channel" movie they would play during the day when house wives, and other people are home during the day desperate for something to watch when the weather is too bad to venture outside. Stay away from this one it may just be a serious contender for a Razzie award for worst movie of the year. If I could rate it at zero stars for a rating, I movie I totally would. It is absolutely terrible
½ February 5, 2018
Very weird to watch - sad story for so many people including Jeffrey.
½ February 5, 2018
Was so bored with this. They could have cut a half hour at least from this film. NOBODY DIES IN IT. No real horror in it. Just a feeling of waiting for something to happen. I don't understand critics at times.
February 4, 2018
Nice, little Indie film. Kept my interested the entire time and moved along nicely. The topic is so darn interesting that it really couldn't miss.
January 6, 2018
Fantastic job with this movie. It slowed a bit in the middle but then finished as strong as the beginning! Well done!