My Week with Marilyn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Week with Marilyn Reviews

½ November 23, 2017
Williams is so good, but the story is dull.
½ October 28, 2017
nice and fun biographical movie to see, good portrayal by Michelle Williams, but movie as a whole lacks of certain depth
½ September 26, 2017
This British drama film is simple in its style which makes it quite easy to watch. The first part deals with the making of the film, but I enjoyed the second half much more, which looks at Marilyn's personality and vulnerabilities. Featuring solid performances from a strong cast and pleasant settings, this is an interesting historical film. GGN
August 15, 2017
My Week With Marilyn showcases how powerful Monroe really was. Perhaps not in the sense of authority, but her ability to be the most important person in a room. On a stage, down a street or even waltzing through a school, everyone knew who she was. Her acclaim and beauty was able to captivate everyone. And yet beneath the surface was a troubled young woman where the pressure of work and Hollywood drove her to depression and doubting her own self-belief. Her inexperienced training and method acting contrasted with Laurence Olivier's more traditional and thespian approach, I thought that was conveyed well. If you wanted to watch a film about Monroe's psychological decline, unfortunately this is not the film (although I think it would've benefitted exploring that route). This focusses on the difficult production of The Prince and the Showgirl and the sweet innocent love between third assistant director Colin Clark and Monroe. It's a story that is much about him as it is Monroe. Director Simon Curtis was able to capture the fragility and inevitable heartbreak that one goes through when attempting to pursue their first love. There is a thought provoking line towards the end that reads "our first love is such sweet despair" and is extremely apparent here. This is an actor's film, and what I mean by that is the acting is the primary method of captivation. No visuals, no divisiveness...just outstanding acting. Michelle Williams exhumed elegance and definitely transformed herself to not only look like Monroe but vocally sound like her. It was breathtaking to watch. Eddie Redmayne and Kenneth Branagh were both excellent also and the wealth of British talent was wonderful to watch. I appreciated the narrative to be presented in a cheery and more delightful manner, it makes the experience more uplifting and classy. Whilst I would've liked the exploration into Monroe's depression and addiction to drugs, alcohol etc. I did think the story itself was enthralling enough to be adapted. It's brief, it's concise and it's lovely to watch.
June 24, 2017
Great performance by Michelle, i really thought the shes Mrs Monroe ;))
½ June 10, 2017
Beautiful movies. Lots of details for sexual tensions
May 10, 2017
A great little British movie telling the story of a young assistant in the film industry who is asked to look after Marilyn Monroe during the shooting of the Prince and the Showgirl at Pinewood Studios. The fresh faced and innocent young man, Colin, becomes captivated by the star and her vulnerability and soon becomes a much-needed source of support and friendship to the Hollywood star. Colin is played by a wide-eyed and innocent Eddie Redmayne and Monroe by Michelle Williams who is quite extraordinary in the role. Kenneth Branagh is a believable Lawrence Olivier and Judi Dench is enchanting as Dame Sybil Thorndyke. There's an authentic, period feel and plenty of comic moments. Above all, however, this is a touching and moving movie bout the fragility of stardom and the way in which innocents can be prayed upon by the unscrupulous. I genuinely loved this film and can't recommend it highly enough as it is a real gem.
March 23, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies. Michelle Williams should have won the Oscar. Same for Kenneth Branagh. People hate this movie because of its bad language. I love it for the same reason. Please make more of these types of films!!
March 17, 2017
Williams on loistava Marilyn muuten aika "meh"! Muutkin amerikkalaisroolit olisi kyllä pitänyt miehittää amerikkalaisilla brittien sijaan. Kaiken kaikkiaan tästä jää vähän sellainen keskivertoa kalliimman TV-tuotannon maku. ***- /5
January 26, 2017
Michelle Williams es Marilyn Monroe. La actriz va a filmar una película en Inglaterra donde conocerá a un joven asistente de director, Collin Clark (Eddie Redmayne) quien quiere hacerse camino en el mundo del cine. En la filmación de la película 'El príncipe y la corista', la actuación de Sir Laurence Olivier (Kenneth Branagh) se vuelve una presión constante para Marilyn que no llega a los niveles actorales de Olivier, no obstante su carisma de eterna diva la ayudará para salir adelante. Ingenua, caprichosa, bella, desenfadada, desordenada, ' a beautiful mess', Marilyn conjugará todos los elementos para una 'femme fatale' que deja rastros de lo mucho que sufrío en su infancia y adolescencia. Marilyn parece haber encontrado el verdadero amor en la figura de Collin Clark. Basada en una historia de la vida real. Con las actuaciones de Judi Dench, Julia Ormond y Emma Watson.
January 10, 2017
Wonderful film, amazing performances.. Nuff said.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 19, 2016
A decent yet unmemorable biopic that has Michelle Williams doing a good job even though she doesn't resemble the real Marilyn at all (not even her tone of voice) - not to mention, of course, that this is a role that should be played by an actress with a greater sex appeal.
½ December 11, 2016
a little extra Manic for your Pixie Dream Girl.
½ November 15, 2016
Loved this movie and everyone how played in it
September 9, 2016
Much like Marilyn herself, the film offers a beautiful simplicity for its viewers. Michelle Williams hauntingly embodies Marilyn so well, grasping onto a side of her we have not yet seen on screen before, while Eddie Redmayne continues to give raw, innocent, and emotionally charged performances. A great film.
½ July 31, 2016
"My Week With Marilyn" contains superb portrayals from Michelle Williams and Kenneth Branagh, which is just enough to overcome the film's lightweight, scatter brained narrative.
½ July 7, 2016
Wonderfully acted and visually gorgeous.
May 20, 2016
Restricted on how high it could score considering it is essentially about crowds of men ogling Marilyn Monroe. Saying that, I would be lying if I said the tallest head and widest grin in the crowd of men didn't belong to me. That's because this film does one thing exceptionally well which is to show why and how Marilyn was so adored. Her soft voice, cute innocence, classic good looks and effortless flirtation are all very convincing, mostly due to the acting talents of Michelle Williams. Though the narrative and majority of side-characters draw little attention, it is the successful portrayal of Marilyn Monroe which gives the movie purpose. Despite having little knowledge of her work, 'My Week with Marilyn' makes it easy for the current generation to see why she was an American treasure....from the male point of view at least.
May 12, 2016
A film like Basquiat is an objectively brilliant piece of art whether you're a fan of the painter or not. This one, while sweet, is more for the fanboys.