The Namesake - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Namesake Reviews

July 1, 2016
Quite impressive movie.
June 29, 2016
A beautiful film immersed in a beautiful culture, audiences who are tired of coming-of-age stories about traditional American families should find "The Namesake" very refreshing.
March 27, 2016
i've heard good things about this movie, hope to watch it soon
March 7, 2016
The Namesake will ever be on my top 10 favorite movies and my absolute favorite novel.
November 14, 2015
Namesake follows the life of an Indian couple raising children in the United States. The movie does an amazing job at illustrating what life is like in an Indian family. The story begins as Ashoke and Ashima meet in the traditional prearranged Indian way where families decide who is a good match for their child. I loved the strong characters and acting. The story really engulfs you as you watch the characters grow up together and the family expands. The movie is well paced and about 122 minutes considering it spans about 3 decades. The central character Gogol is played by Kal Penn and I have only seen him in comedies like Harold and Kumar but he really shows how talented of an actor he is in this dramatic role. Namesake is beautifully written and the scenes transfer fluidly. As a Westerner I can only imagine what it is like to have a traditional arranged union but Ashima's husband Ashoke is a really sweet loving guy that you instantly feel connected to. He is just a man trying to live and raise his family and teach his boy about life.The photography and cinematography, reinforce the drastic changes that occur when moving from colors and chaos of India to the freezing winters of New York. We are easily able to follow the father and mother's struggle to connect with their children, hold together their family values and culture, and offer them the best life available.
Religion is very prominent in India and it is evident in this movie how deeply religious the family is. In the wedding scenes we see a lot of Hindu elements and attire. There is also a Hindu funeral scene after *spoiler alert* a character dies. We even see some Hindu tradition in a scene where a baby is directed to choose an item off of a plate to determine their fate or position in this life. There is also a scene where the father talks about meeting again in the next life, a Hindu concept of reincarnation.
November 4, 2015
gives you mental calmness.
April 2, 2015
This movie is well done. The cinematography is great, the Indian culture is captured, and audience watching the movie, can grasp a country whether they traveled there or not. The acting, filming, and story line all correspond to bring this immigration themed movie/book to life. Though like the book, I did not find this movie very interesting. The story line is drab, it does not make viewers want to continue watching. As much as viewers are understanding the vibe of this plot, the audience may not feel the vibe, which I think every proficient movie must do. They also could have incorporated more of the 'name' aspect that is so focused on in the book. This movie almost seemed pointless, without delving into the name theme there is no purpose to the story line. There is no climax, there are no goals, there are no exiting parts; we are basically seeing an immigrant family's boring life. The most exiting part is when the main character gets cheated on.. it's kind of a twisted version of some reality show (though I would rather watch Keeping of with the Kardashians over this..) The main events of this movie are: high school graduations, a trip to india, a death, and an affair. All of these events are very far apart, and when these scenes are not happening: you might find your eyes moving away from your screen and focusing on whats trending on twitter. Overall acting was great, filming and setting were prime, but the story was remarkably dull.
½ April 2, 2015
I recently read the book Namesake in my 9th grade English class. We took this novel apart and put it back together many times, figuratively speaking, of course. I got a solid understanding of Gogol's journey and all the stages of his enlightinment.
After reading the book, my class watched the movie Namesake which was based off the novel. Generally speaking, I enjoy the novel more than the movie because the novel usually gives more in-depth detail to the characters thoughts. However, this movie did a phenomonal job of showing the stages of Gogol's journey of enlightenment. Namesake had excellent character potrayal and was very close to the way I pictured them in my head while I was reading. I would recommend watching it, preferably after you've read the novel.
½ April 2, 2015
The Namesake impressed me under the light that they really captured the culture of India. This culture was important for the viewer to see to really be able to compare the living styles we have here in the US. The movie was much more appealing then the novel because one could really read the emotions of each character. This movie seemed to capture more of the depth of the novel. The movie did not have the best cinematography, the actors were okay and seemed to fit the roles that the novels described really well.
April 2, 2015
This movie was a great representation of the novel. The directors did a wonderful job with including the traditions and culture of India, just as they did in the book. Although, I think the film makers could have done a much better job of spreading the scenes out and letting the movie play out a little more. It seemed as if the scenes just stumbled upon each other so the movie seemed very rushed.
½ April 2, 2015
"The Namesake" is based on a book called "The Namesake." The plot has small differences than that of the book, but it does not detract from the quality of the movie. One aspect that is left out is the fact that Ashima, the main character's mother, stays at home by herself for extended periods of time. This was a crucial part of the plot. Overall, this movie reflects the novel well. I would recommend it to a friend.
½ April 2, 2015
Starting from the beginning of the movie, the setting is very cultural. The places they go to and the clothes they wear tell a lot. The setting changes quickly from an upbeat party place to a small apartment and a cold looking town. As the movie continues, there are many similarities that ties into the book, like Ashima being pregnant. One major difference between the book and the movie is that the movie shows a lot more detail with characters and scenes. I also noticed that both the book and the movie move through time quickly and a lot of main events happen fast in a short amount of time. As the movie moves more towards the end, it is very similar to the book. All the main events occur in the movie. Although the movie and the book have a few differences, you get the same idea in the end.
½ April 2, 2015
Though both the Namesake book and the Namesake movie are very similar and demonstrate Indian culture and life, they are very different. The book starts out with Ashima pregnant, making a rice crispy mixture. As the book goes on Ashoke's story of the train comes up as well as how Ashima and Ashoke met and married. The movie begins with Ashoke on the train, followed by how Ashima and Ashoke met and married and their traveling to America. Then the baby is born. In the book, Ashima and Ashoke take much more time to decide upon calling their baby 'Gogol,' than in the movie where Ashoke suggests it just moments after the doctor leaves.
Later in both the book and the movie Maxine is introduced and Gogol's love life explodes. In the book, Maxine is described as someone much more "hip" and down to Earth while in the movie she is a bit "airy" and crazy. In the movie Ashoke seems to die much quicker, more suspiciously and less eventful death. In the book, there is much more time and detail between the time when Ashoke goes into the hospital and when Ashima finds out that he is dead. In the book, the mourning period is also described with more detail and specifics. The book specifies how Gogol, Ashima and Sonia share meatless meals just as a family for a few days.
After the death of his father Gogol goes on a blind date set up by his mother with Moushimi. In the book their relationship is much more detailed, describing the restaurants they visit, the gifts they get and Moushimi's love for France. The movie speeds past their relationship, showing only brief clips and images.
Overall, the book was much more detailed than the movie, as in most book to movie adaptations. The book started to paint a picture of the world of Gogol, his family, his friends, his work, his house, his school, etc., and the movie completed the picture with visual evidence. Both the book and the movie were very intriguing and I am very glad to have read the book and then watched the movie, I think it gave me a much better understanding of the literature and the imagery as well as Indian culture as a whole.
As a whole, this movie was very interesting, it didn't quite match up with the book and I feel like it skipped over some important parts but it was still good.
April 2, 2015
Overall, the movie is great and it followed the book nicely. It does a very good job with the theme of identity, especially during the scenes involving the topic of Gogol's name. However, it is very hard to connect with if you are not familiar with Indian tradition because it is very significant throughout the movie.
April 1, 2015
This movie creatively captures the life of an Indian family making their way in a foreign land. It is centered around Gogol/Nickel. Overall the movie stays hand in hand with the book straying at minor things such as quotes for instance when Ashoke dies, instead of saying he "expired" the intern said he passed away. The only other thing that stuck out to me is that they did not put any emphases on Gogol's failed marriage (when his wife cheats on him). Aside from those few discrepancies, it was a very well done film that portrayed the struggle between the new world and the old world as well as different cultural beliefs and traditions. 4 stars.
½ April 1, 2015
The Namesake is a movie about identity insecurity, culture segregation, love and loss. The emotional acting by a great cast relates all of these themes. Many scenes that are in the book are skipped over in the movie, yet Nair creates good dimension by summarizing lengthened activities. Kal Penn evokes the emotional tragedies Gogol suffers through and he represents Gogol's character very well. The story accurately depicts the life of the Ganguli family through the loss of family members, birth and the struggles of love.
April 1, 2015
The Namesake was a movie that was interesting and created a story that shows the difficulty of immigration and moving to America. However, because of the slightly slow moving storyline and the amount of "American" in the movie, the story wasn't very intriguing. What I mean by "American" is that what Gogol/Nikhil experienced during his life was the typical American lifestyle and Ashima and Ashoke had to experience this firsthand. In the novel, Gogol spoke quite a bit more and this added an extra element to the book. This element was lacking in the movie, and this took away from the overall movie. I enjoyed this movie, but it was not one of my favorites
April 1, 2015
Although the movie was a great representation of the book and stayed true, the story all together was not necessarily intended to be a movie. Throughout the movie Gogol did not speak much. This was a nod to the book. Mira Nair was able to add in hints and foreshadow using small lines of dialog very occasionally. This was a good movie for the story, but a bad story for the movie. Although I am glad I saw it I am definitely not going to watch it a second time.
October 4, 2014
I hate it when people say this, but I really have to - the book is far superior.

Even though the film sits at a comfortable 120 minutes, filmmakers cut out most of the powerful sequences that really make an impact in the novel. Moushimi's emotional baggage, Gogol's college years and relationship with Ruth, the inner racism eating Gogol and Moushimi alive, etc. I highly recommend the novel for an emotional rollercoaster. As for the film, unfortunately the rushed feeling of it all leaves you wishing you read the book instead.
October 2, 2014
This is a very incredible and amazing film. I love how it goes through India tradition with arranged marriages to moving and getting used to living in America to having children and watching them try to cope with trying to stay to tradition and not. This movie was so well done and it's one that will stay in your heart forever.