Narc - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Narc Reviews

September 4, 2017
Liotta proves one of my film theories: the ability for an average actor to transcend his expected ability with a single performance in his entire career; Henry Oak is that performance.
June 28, 2017
The opening sequence of this film is one of the most intense, urgently paced, and anxiety-inducing chases that I have ever seen. Joe Carnahan's crime drama is truly edge-of-your-seat; cliche as that tag may be.
½ May 7, 2017
Forgot to write these reviews yesterday, May 6, 2017. How could the consensus possibly say "a little too familiar?!" This is one of the best movies I've seen. It reminds me a little bit of Training Day and Se7en, which are just great things to be reminded of. Joe Carnahan was already one of my favorite directors, but this just confirms it. I will point out that it's very different from his other movies, so I wasn't too sure what to expect, but I did figure it would be good.
½ February 19, 2017
Grim police thriller with great performances by Ray Liotta and Jason Patric, I'm surprised that none of them were nominated for anything, especially how Liotta transformed himself into this heavy hard man that is different to how would see him in anything else.
The film itself had a similar gritty feel to French Connection which made it feel more realistic than just feel like watching a Hollywood film. I believe it had a low budget which probably helped that, and it worked out really well.
January 25, 2017
My favorite Ray Liotta film-- but that's not saying much.
½ January 24, 2017
Decent thriller. Liotta started doing so-so to bad movies at this point.
½ October 3, 2016
Grimy, Gritty & Brutal with great perfs from Liotta & Patric, But what made this movie really interesting for me was its fantastic ending, Carnahan's great debut
½ September 1, 2016
Never held my interest. Waste of two good characters.
½ April 21, 2016
Probably more exciting 15 years ago when it came out, it is actually less hyperkinetic that most of Carnahans work. This low budget cop thriller catapulted him to fame, which he then torpedoed with a series of flops and creative differences. Carnahans unquestionably has talent in a Tony Scott vein, but Narc fails to really add up the disparate pieces. Anyone who has seen a twisty cop thriller can guess the ending more or less, and it is revealed in a giant exposition dump that grinds everything to a halt. The acting is big and brash, and the story is muscular and loud, like De Palma without the tension. When a cop is killed his ex partner and a disgraced former undercover cop team up to track down who did it. It alternates between loud busts and interrogation with frankly uninteresting "investigating" consisting of mostly staring at paper and furrowed brows. If you've seen anything by David Ayer, you've seen all there is to see here.
October 18, 2015
Watchable but very cliched undercover narcotics cop drama.
½ September 7, 2015
I have had this on my watch lit for awhile now, and thanks to Netflix I can finally say I have seen it. I liked it a lot, but to be fair I have a soft spot for police/detective/crime movies. The acting is really good, Ray Liotta was fantastic but again to be fair he excels at the tough guy kind of roles,, so much so that he has kind of gotten typecast in those kind of roles. I thought the story was very strong as well, I know that this was the first film directed by Joe Carnahan and he also wrote the movie. something I heard somewhere is that Joe Carnahan got inspired for this story after seeing the iconic documentary The Thin Blue Line, which, I have not seen as of now but it is on my list. Anyone that likes crime or detective filks will enjoy this one, that is my two cents anyway.
June 29, 2015
A violent, gritty, and memorable crime thriller that shows Jason Patric and Ray Liotta at the top of their game as a perfectly matched pair of narcotics detectives haunted by their respective pasts. Featuring one of the most intense opening chases I've ever seen, the film jumps into action right out the gate and barely lets up. Joe Carnahan's adrenaline-fueled direction is centre-stage and the grim world the film inhabits leaves the audience with an unclean feeling. The story is a bit familiar for the cop genre, but the brewing darkness and unfolding mystery engage right up until the final, ambiguous shot. This isn't a pleasant film to sit through, but the two powerful performances and realistic portrayal of a crime-ridden city make it worth the effort!
½ June 15, 2015
You've seen this plot before but not with the grit or the performances before,that's what makes it special.
March 18, 2015
What a gripping intense edgy thriller of a cop film!
February 19, 2015
Ten years later it's still badass
January 29, 2015
Gritty and dangerous in a very raw design, Narc is elevated by Liotta's fantastic performance. Full review later.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Great cop movie ,, dark and much violence and nice actors
December 30, 2014
Everybody knew he was a cop.

An undercover NARC agent wants to retire from his line of work but money hasn't lined up so he takes another case. The case calls for him to work with a police officer whose partner has recently been killed. He and his new partner investigate those responsible for the murder; however, in doing so, he may uncover the partner had a lot to do with the situation...

"Do you think it could have been prevented?"
"What could have been prevented?"
"The infant's death."

Joe Carnahan, director of Smokin' Aces, The Grey, The A-Team, and Stretch, delivers NARC. The storyline for this picture is very mediocre, predictable, and cliché for the genre. This didn't feel very original or clever. The acting and script are just okay and the cast includes Ray Liotta, Jason Patric, Alan Peterson, Chi McBride, Busta Rhymes, and Krista Bridges.

"Say fuck you again to me."

I randomly grabbed this off Netflix as a potential interesting action flick, and was disappointed. It was okay, but nothing special and fairly straightforward. I would honestly only watch this if you have nothing better to do.

"You're a good woman, baby!"

Grade: C-
December 28, 2014
This drama pulls you into the seedy world of narcotics in Detroit by following the life of undercover cop Nick, who collaterally killed an unborn child in a bust gone bad, and Lt. Harry Oak, a loose cannon investigating the death of his undercover partner. Jason Patric and Ray Liotta are all too convincing in these roles. There are dead ends and twists, and the truth is a bit bizarre but getting to that truth is quite an experience. Recommended.
½ November 19, 2014
This is a dark, depressing, excessively violent, profusely profane film, not for the squeamish or anyone who likes elevating entertainment