Natural Born Killers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Natural Born Killers Reviews

December 14, 2017
This was awesome and discusting, but mostly just awesome. Great metaphor for modern society.
December 7, 2017
The messy True Romance. True Romance is far superior.
½ November 16, 2017
The cinematography is well-done, though pretty over the top.

The excellent cast, led by Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis, does a great job with the horribly exaggerated dialog. Nobody actually twirls a mustache, but they come awfully close.

It's easy to tell why this seems to be a movie you either love or hate. For me, though, it was a bit meh.
October 30, 2017
This movie may be audacious, yes, but there is no way it could be more obvious, proving to be a self-indulgent parody that is more irritating than clever, bombarding us with an excessive amount of visual hysteria and basically calling subtlety an overrated bitch.
½ October 22, 2017
Oliver Stone's indictment of the media told through the story of young lovers on the run, serial killers Mickey and Mallory Knox, Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis. Based on an early script by Quentin Tartantino, Tarantino took his name off of the film and instead asked for only a "story" credit. He's been quoted as saying if you love the film, that was Oliver, if you hated the film, that was Oliver, essentially disavowing the film, which I didn't really see why he'd want to distance himself from it at the time, but rewatching the film now, it was a smart move on his part to distance himself from this mess. I was shocked by how poorly this film has aged. It may be a case of it having been imitated so many times since then, both in terms of style and content, that the film has lost it's original impact; much like rewatching the original version of "The Exorcist" (thought that film is still good, it's just not as scary). After my disappointment re-watching this film, I got out my copy of Quentin Tarantino's original script and pretty much all of the moments in this film that do work were straight out of Tarantino's original version; a cool opening credits sequence with crazy rear projections, Robert Downy Jr. as a sensationalistic Geraldo-like TV news reporter, some sharp dialogue from from Tom Sizemore as Seymore Skagnetti and Tommy Lee Jones as Warden Dwight McClusky. When the film drifts into Stone's seeming obsession with Native American mysticism, indulgent mix media visuals (Rob Zombie used this same style to much better effect in his films), and everyone trying to out overact the person next to them ruins what could have been a tough, nihilistic young lovers on the run "Badlands" homage. Where I will give Stone credit is the casting of Rodney Dangerfield as Lewis' dad, in a flashback sequence to Mallory Knox's abusive dysfunctional home life prior to running off with Mickey, presented as a nightmarish sitcom from hell, complete with a laugh track that punctuates societal indifference to domestic atrocities. That was not in Tarantino's script and Rodney is a positively demonic and terrifying version of his usual comic on-screen persona. I'll also give Stone credit for a dynamite soundtrack (or at least for hiring Trent Reznor to produce the soundtrack) which includes Leonard Cohen, L7, Patti Smith, Duane Eddy, NIN, Cowby Junkies, Jane's Addiction, Barry Adamson, Lard, and many more. Downey, Sizemore, and particularly Jones seem to strike the best tone of giving completely over-the-top performances, but doing so without winking at the camera, which I think Stone allowed Harrelson and Lewis to do too often throughout the film. Sure the on-screen media frenzy surrounding Mickey and Mallory and their cult of personality was fed, created, and sustained by the media is Stone's major point of the film, but it makes the characters too much to take. You can catch glimpses of a good film every now and then, buried beneath Stone's sound and fury, but in general this film is a preachy, heavy-handed mess. Do yourself a favor and read Tarantino's original script instead of watching Oliver Stone's indulgent mess.
October 1, 2017
this is the best movie i have ever seen
½ September 28, 2017
Oliver Stone's made this to show America's lust for media driven entertainment. This is quite possibly the worst movie of the 90's. All style and no substance. And that's being kind. After this movie I never have seen another Stone movie.
September 27, 2017
Classic movie that has been imitated many times.
August 27, 2017
I get the absurdity I just felt like it was not a great movie. This was Oliver Stone's attempt to fit into the 90s. You're Oliver Stone not Quentin Tarantino....
August 2, 2017
Didn't watch in the last cpl years ?? so fudging the rating, had the VHS
July 18, 2017
If you don't get it, you are part of it.
July 13, 2017
Once upon a time, old man on campus Oliver Stone was the badass of cinema. What I liked about his movies was that he questioned every institution, sacred or not. It worked to mainstream success in JFK but alienated the audience in Natural Born Killers, a satire of entertainment culture and a not too subtle commentary on media accountability. Not surprisingly, the media did not care for this film, because no one wants to look into a funny mirror and see their actual reflection.
½ June 27, 2017
So many Dutch Angles...
May 25, 2017
Boisterous and experimental Oliver Stone film about two mass murderers on a killing spree and the media attention they attract. As satire, it is not subtle and the performances are all over the top but I did enjoy Robert Downey Jnr as the award-winning Aussie journalist.
May 14, 2017
This movie is dark and disturbing and as necessary as it ever was. Woody Harrelson is one of the best ever at what he does. Him and Juliette Lewis are perfect here. Never once did I not believe they were so in love with each other. And oh so insane and evil. RDJ and TLJ go a little over the top with their performances but still fun to watch. Oliver Stone always has something to say whether it is something we want to hear or something batshit crazy, it's always fun to watch. Though I often wonder what could have been if QT got to direct his script. We shall never know.
May 5, 2017
My Brother Jesse Has Seen This Movie.
½ May 5, 2017
Even though I'm not really sure what to think about this one, I did enjoy it. Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis make for a great lead duo here and Downey is hilarious in his role as the reporter I thought. The cast is pretty big, so it's hard to pinpoint everyone, but I also really like Tommy Lee Jones in this in a great over the top performance. My biggest issue with this film boils down to two things, the first half and the strange camerawork. The first half was almost too over the top violence for me without any substance, entertaining no doubt, but I didn't feel like there was any value in what I saw for the first half. The absurd movement of the camera could not be necessarily considered shaky cam, but it was still very jarring in the first 30 minutes to see the film, it's not easy to describe, you'll just have to watch it yourself to know what I'm talking about. The second half, while still violent and bloody, felt like it served a much greater purpose in the film and became an effective review on the culture and attitude surrounding violence in our culture and how is is received by the mainstream media. I really enjoyed the last 15 minutes and it definitely lifted up what was in the first half just a middling film with good acting. Not for everyone, but if you can stand watching extremely nonsensical violence for 45 minutes to get into something much more interesting, this might be worth your time
April 27, 2017
Cool movie, a little dumb I guess
April 22, 2017
The news media is a peculiar entity in that they criticize violence and violent people under the allusion of "explaining" or "seeking to understand", yet they relish in that violence. Dead people means that the living left behind will have their TVs on for explanation or comfort. Those TVs equal ratings, which equal money. Advertisers want to advertise on networks that everyone is watching. Those advertisers bring money to the network, and how do you keep getting that money? By keeping those frightened viewers in search of answers.

That's what Oliver Stone is satirizing here; he's not glorifying violence as he's been accused of. In fact, he's condemning it by way of condemning the news media that relishes in it.

That is why I think that this film inspired the Columbine killers, contrary to popular belief in the artistic community. I believe that it was them seeing the fame and recognition that Mickey and Mallory received that inspired them. The media makes killers famous, and the two boys from Columbine high school wanted to go out in a blaze of glory, knowing that they would be studied, pondered, and discussed forever. Looks like their mission was a success.
½ April 17, 2017
One of Oliver Stone's best flick, ultra violence and perfectly executed...