Natural Born Killers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Natural Born Killers Reviews

August 27, 2017
I get the absurdity I just felt like it was not a great movie. This was Oliver Stone's attempt to fit into the 90s. You're Oliver Stone not Quentin Tarantino....
August 2, 2017
Didn't watch in the last cpl years ?? so fudging the rating, had the VHS
July 18, 2017
If you don't get it, you are part of it.
July 13, 2017
Once upon a time, old man on campus Oliver Stone was the badass of cinema. What I liked about his movies was that he questioned every institution, sacred or not. It worked to mainstream success in JFK but alienated the audience in Natural Born Killers, a satire of entertainment culture and a not too subtle commentary on media accountability. Not surprisingly, the media did not care for this film, because no one wants to look into a funny mirror and see their actual reflection.
½ June 27, 2017
So many Dutch Angles...
May 25, 2017
Boisterous and experimental Oliver Stone film about two mass murderers on a killing spree and the media attention they attract. As satire, it is not subtle and the performances are all over the top but I did enjoy Robert Downey Jnr as the award-winning Aussie journalist.
May 14, 2017
This movie is dark and disturbing and as necessary as it ever was. Woody Harrelson is one of the best ever at what he does. Him and Juliette Lewis are perfect here. Never once did I not believe they were so in love with each other. And oh so insane and evil. RDJ and TLJ go a little over the top with their performances but still fun to watch. Oliver Stone always has something to say whether it is something we want to hear or something batshit crazy, it's always fun to watch. Though I often wonder what could have been if QT got to direct his script. We shall never know.
May 5, 2017
My Brother Jesse Has Seen This Movie.
½ May 5, 2017
Even though I'm not really sure what to think about this one, I did enjoy it. Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis make for a great lead duo here and Downey is hilarious in his role as the reporter I thought. The cast is pretty big, so it's hard to pinpoint everyone, but I also really like Tommy Lee Jones in this in a great over the top performance. My biggest issue with this film boils down to two things, the first half and the strange camerawork. The first half was almost too over the top violence for me without any substance, entertaining no doubt, but I didn't feel like there was any value in what I saw for the first half. The absurd movement of the camera could not be necessarily considered shaky cam, but it was still very jarring in the first 30 minutes to see the film, it's not easy to describe, you'll just have to watch it yourself to know what I'm talking about. The second half, while still violent and bloody, felt like it served a much greater purpose in the film and became an effective review on the culture and attitude surrounding violence in our culture and how is is received by the mainstream media. I really enjoyed the last 15 minutes and it definitely lifted up what was in the first half just a middling film with good acting. Not for everyone, but if you can stand watching extremely nonsensical violence for 45 minutes to get into something much more interesting, this might be worth your time
April 27, 2017
Cool movie, a little dumb I guess
April 22, 2017
The news media is a peculiar entity in that they criticize violence and violent people under the allusion of "explaining" or "seeking to understand", yet they relish in that violence. Dead people means that the living left behind will have their TVs on for explanation or comfort. Those TVs equal ratings, which equal money. Advertisers want to advertise on networks that everyone is watching. Those advertisers bring money to the network, and how do you keep getting that money? By keeping those frightened viewers in search of answers.

That's what Oliver Stone is satirizing here; he's not glorifying violence as he's been accused of. In fact, he's condemning it by way of condemning the news media that relishes in it.

That is why I think that this film inspired the Columbine killers, contrary to popular belief in the artistic community. I believe that it was them seeing the fame and recognition that Mickey and Mallory received that inspired them. The media makes killers famous, and the two boys from Columbine high school wanted to go out in a blaze of glory, knowing that they would be studied, pondered, and discussed forever. Looks like their mission was a success.
½ April 17, 2017
One of Oliver Stone's best flick, ultra violence and perfectly executed...
March 20, 2017
Would have been interesting to see how Tarantino would have directed this. Stone likes to view himself as a social commentator who's got the media monster 'pegged'. He likes to tackle large subjects and large people in his films (Alexander the Great, Fidel Castro, the JFK assassination, 9/11, Vietnam, Wallstreet), but it's all a metaphor of how he views himself - larger than life. His ego is just as big as any of his film subjects, and this film supports that claim. It's out and out brutality and passivity towards it's shock and horror only serves to display Stone's (and Tarantino's) audacity to be so 'in your face', not caring of the consequences.
If only this film didn't try to glamorize violence. They should have had the alternative ending where Mickey & Mallory are killed by 'Owen' (the timid psycho who aids their escape). There is no way they can just disappear, no matter how big America is - there are too many trigger happy people there who'd recognise them and try to make a name for themselves!
Other than all that, I enjoy this film for some odd reason, particularly the second half in the prison.
March 10, 2017
½ March 7, 2017
Couldn't watch all the way through. The opposite of subtlety, disguised as arthouse. Is it trying to be ironic or biting in the poor direction, the shitty narrative, the bad camera angles or the way the takes don't line up? Real mind-blowing idea that the media glorifies violence when you're 13. By creating a movie that's ironically shitty, Oliver Stone has tricked the viewer into watching a shitty movie.
March 2, 2017
El mejor Chick flick que se ha visto
February 8, 2017
Overly stylish and not very entertaining. It's a pretentious nightmare with characters and a story that are unlikable. (First and only viewing - 8/31/2009)
½ February 4, 2017
Excellent film. Ignore the RT 46% rating and watch it then make your own mind up.
January 19, 2017
Visually stunning and very demented. Loved it.
½ January 6, 2017
Yep. You made us root for serial killers Oliver Stone... OH; excuse me, mass murderers. Big difference.