Natural Born Killers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Natural Born Killers Reviews

½ March 26, 2018
An interesting mess of film. Oliver Stone overdoes a great story that could have been made into a truly great film, of which this is not. It's a decent film, very well directed, but just too crazy and too insane even for its own good.
March 15, 2018
Too simplistic, superficial and utterly frustrating. Probably one of the worst social satires ever made.
½ March 14, 2018
no amount of Nine Inch Nails can save this.
February 28, 2018
This is a hectic movie that follows the criminal endeavors of Mickey and Mallory Knox, two lovers set on a killing spree through America, which led them to media stardom. This movie is filled with chaotic shots and angles, fast cuts, handheld and shaky cameras, psychedelic scenery and just insane visuals. The moral of the story focuses on how media creates stars out of the deranged and begs the question: who is a better being? the media or the criminals? It kind of reminds me, in a way, of what "A Clockwork Orange" asks us, the viewers. We have the criminal couple juxtaposed with the media people, inviting us into analyzing the traits that make both parties "horrible" and "evil", but the Knox's evil regards the cold blooded killing, whereas the media's evil regards the control over the population, feeding us lies and establishing zombiedom. Now, the main concerns that a lot of people have regarding this jewel are that "the production and filming are too blurry and shaky and fast paced", that Oliver Stone paints the same picture and asks the same question again and again throughout the movie and that it's just impossible to watch and too obnoxious. In my opinion, the production and the chaos of the movie are perfect in telling this story through the lens of the killers and through the lens of the masses. Everything is filled with adrenaline and I think that suits the movie really well, we are witnessing the madness live, unedited and raw, just like the husband/wife pair and the masses through the perspective of the media. And the thing with Oliver Stone's message being to obnoxiously thrown at the viewers, this movie does not consider itself mysterious in any way: it's not "2001: A Space Odyssey", "The Holy Mountain" or "Inception", the message it's in your face, just like the couple and the media. This movie is fast, brutal and criminally insane.
February 24, 2018
Gritty and crazy. 1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 7, 2018
Controversially examines the relationship between media and violent crime. Some effective black comedy and satire is poorly balanced with gratuitous fight scenes, which insult the senses. Less really would have been more here.
January 5, 2018
One of my all time favorites, pay no attention to the Tomatometer just look at the audience score.
December 14, 2017
This was awesome and discusting, but mostly just awesome. Great metaphor for modern society.
December 7, 2017
The messy True Romance. True Romance is far superior.
½ November 16, 2017
The cinematography is well-done, though pretty over the top.

The excellent cast, led by Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis, does a great job with the horribly exaggerated dialog. Nobody actually twirls a mustache, but they come awfully close.

It's easy to tell why this seems to be a movie you either love or hate. For me, though, it was a bit meh.
October 30, 2017
This movie may be audacious, yes, but there is no way it could be more obvious, proving to be a self-indulgent parody that is more irritating than clever, bombarding us with an excessive amount of visual hysteria and basically calling subtlety an overrated bitch.
½ October 22, 2017
Oliver Stone's indictment of the media told through the story of young lovers on the run, serial killers Mickey and Mallory Knox, Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis. Based on an early script by Quentin Tartantino, Tarantino took his name off of the film and instead asked for only a "story" credit. He's been quoted as saying if you love the film, that was Oliver, if you hated the film, that was Oliver, essentially disavowing the film, which I didn't really see why he'd want to distance himself from it at the time, but rewatching the film now, it was a smart move on his part to distance himself from this mess. I was shocked by how poorly this film has aged. It may be a case of it having been imitated so many times since then, both in terms of style and content, that the film has lost it's original impact; much like rewatching the original version of "The Exorcist" (thought that film is still good, it's just not as scary). After my disappointment re-watching this film, I got out my copy of Quentin Tarantino's original script and pretty much all of the moments in this film that do work were straight out of Tarantino's original version; a cool opening credits sequence with crazy rear projections, Robert Downy Jr. as a sensationalistic Geraldo-like TV news reporter, some sharp dialogue from from Tom Sizemore as Seymore Skagnetti and Tommy Lee Jones as Warden Dwight McClusky. When the film drifts into Stone's seeming obsession with Native American mysticism, indulgent mix media visuals (Rob Zombie used this same style to much better effect in his films), and everyone trying to out overact the person next to them ruins what could have been a tough, nihilistic young lovers on the run "Badlands" homage. Where I will give Stone credit is the casting of Rodney Dangerfield as Lewis' dad, in a flashback sequence to Mallory Knox's abusive dysfunctional home life prior to running off with Mickey, presented as a nightmarish sitcom from hell, complete with a laugh track that punctuates societal indifference to domestic atrocities. That was not in Tarantino's script and Rodney is a positively demonic and terrifying version of his usual comic on-screen persona. I'll also give Stone credit for a dynamite soundtrack (or at least for hiring Trent Reznor to produce the soundtrack) which includes Leonard Cohen, L7, Patti Smith, Duane Eddy, NIN, Cowby Junkies, Jane's Addiction, Barry Adamson, Lard, and many more. Downey, Sizemore, and particularly Jones seem to strike the best tone of giving completely over-the-top performances, but doing so without winking at the camera, which I think Stone allowed Harrelson and Lewis to do too often throughout the film. Sure the on-screen media frenzy surrounding Mickey and Mallory and their cult of personality was fed, created, and sustained by the media is Stone's major point of the film, but it makes the characters too much to take. You can catch glimpses of a good film every now and then, buried beneath Stone's sound and fury, but in general this film is a preachy, heavy-handed mess. Do yourself a favor and read Tarantino's original script instead of watching Oliver Stone's indulgent mess.
October 1, 2017
this is the best movie i have ever seen
½ September 28, 2017
Oliver Stone's made this to show America's lust for media driven entertainment. This is quite possibly the worst movie of the 90's. All style and no substance. And that's being kind. After this movie I never have seen another Stone movie.
September 27, 2017
Classic movie that has been imitated many times.
August 27, 2017
I get the absurdity I just felt like it was not a great movie. This was Oliver Stone's attempt to fit into the 90s. You're Oliver Stone not Quentin Tarantino....
August 2, 2017
Didn't watch in the last cpl years ?? so fudging the rating, had the VHS
July 18, 2017
If you don't get it, you are part of it.
July 13, 2017
Once upon a time, old man on campus Oliver Stone was the badass of cinema. What I liked about his movies was that he questioned every institution, sacred or not. It worked to mainstream success in JFK but alienated the audience in Natural Born Killers, a satire of entertainment culture and a not too subtle commentary on media accountability. Not surprisingly, the media did not care for this film, because no one wants to look into a funny mirror and see their actual reflection.
½ June 27, 2017