Never Say Never Again - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Never Say Never Again Reviews

½ November 11, 2017
I just rewatched this for the first time I many years, and I realize that NSNA embodies the idea that a good villain makes a good Bond movie. Connery has a couple of entertaining moments, but he hasn't anywhere near the charisma of Klaus Maria Brandauer. And I forgot completely that Max Von Sydow played Blofeld, because there's no reason for him to be here at all. He's just a waste of time. Barbara Carrera has fun with her role as well, but the all-too-common idiotic Bond comedic moments with Q and Rowan Atkinson are jarring and annoying. Every pre-Daniel Craig Bond movie seems like a good film idea hobbled by silliness and bad acting. Sometimes that's ok if there's enough charm or plot elsewhere, but here it just ruins what could have been a decent spy flick.
November 7, 2017
It doesn't tread much new ground, but Never Say Never benefits from the return of Sean Connery, a good plot, and great action.
½ September 29, 2017
sean only did this film for the money and to piss of cubby and family
½ September 9, 2017
Oddball James Bond film is not part of the official Eon Production cannon. Kevin McClory, a producer and writer on "Thunderball" won a legal battle against Ian Fleming to make his own Bond movie based upon his version of the "Thunderball" script. In this versions Connery plays an older Bond, but very much like in the original "Thunderball" finds himself going after SPECTRE agents who've stole nuclear warheads. It's the usual Bond nonsense, but it's a lot better than the Roger Moore output at this same time (though "For Your Eyes Only" was quite good). Still, this one did subscribe to the over-use of gadgets that the Moore films were doing, which is unfortunate. On the plus side, this film does boast an excellent cast. Max von Sydow plays Blofeld, Edward Fox plays M, Bernie Casey plays Felix Leiter, Klaus Maria Brandauer is the industrialist villain, Largo. Barbara Carrera and Kim Basinger are Bond Girls. There's even Rowan Atkinson in his film debut in a small bit of comic relief. The film also has a quaint scene that was super cool back in the day, where James Bond plays a very lame video game where you have to claim more shapes on a digital line drawn map before your opponent. Hot off of "The Empire Strikes Back" the film was directed by Irvin Kershner, who brings an assured hand to the action. McClory offered John Barry a chance to score the film, but he declined out of loyalty to Albert R. Broccoli, producer of the main series. Instead, Michel Legrand provides a solid score for the film, even if it's lacking the "James Bond Theme." Even if this is far from the best bond film (though better than most of the 80s Bond output), this film does hold a fair amount of nostalgia for me; Brandauer and Connery's intense confrontation over the very lame video game, Connery chained up in a skeleton filled cell, and Kim Basinger dancing were all moments that burned themselves into my adolescent brain. Interesting note of trivia: a young Steven Seagal was the martial arts instructor for this film and broke Sean Connery's wrist during training.
August 29, 2017
Thursday, May 17, 2012

(1983) Never Say Never Again
ACTION/ ADVENTURE

After a more than a 12 year hiatas that solidified Sean Connery's name on the map, he returns as the James Bond character that is not affiliated with the other Bond films since they were Broccoli produced and owned. Directed by Irwin Kershner of "The Empire Strikes Back", this time thwarting some nuclear warheads intercepted by a SPECTRE agent. The action, although few was adapted to suit Sean Connery's age of 52 which consists of a few chase scenes blah blah blah. The movie still works since it consists of an interesting take of things unlike other Bond movies we're usually accustomed to seeing. In other words, this is a better second attempt of the slightly disappointed "Thunderball".

3 out of 4
August 22, 2017
Never Say Never (1983) C-137m. ?? 1/2 D: Irvin Kershner. Sean Connery, Kim Basinger, Max von Sydow, Klaus Maria Brandauer, Barbara Carrera, Bernie Casey. Connery returns as 007 in this middling James Bond adventure (a remake of THUNDERBALL) where he tracks down two stolen American nuclear warheads. Connery's tremendous performance makes this widely uneven (and overlong) film watchable; some good lines and action, but the film drags at times, and the opening scene--a practice terrorist mission--makes no sense! Connery's charm makes all the difference; his last appearance as 007. Lani Hall sings the agonizing title song.
½ July 21, 2017
For a remake of Thunderball, I didn't think it was that bad.
½ July 16, 2017
Not one of the better Bond films but Connery is always worth the money. Kim Basinger is great as Domino and its level of self parody helps carry it over the line but only for fans of the franshise
June 26, 2017
Not horrible but it was an unneeded remake of Thunderball.

6.5/10
½ May 30, 2017
This unnecessary remake is not a patch on the original Thunderball, with the villains and Bond girls being especially poor in comparison. Taken on its own merits it's still a fairly bland 80's action movie that just happens to have James Bond in it. But it's not an outright disaster, there's nothing as painful here as in Diamonds Are Forever and Connery is more lively and engaged than his last appearance as Bond. There are moments of action, drama and humour sprinkled throughout that work well, enough to make Never Say Never Again probably better than it has any right to be.
April 24, 2017
This is a great movie. It is a remake of the 4th James Bound movie Thunder ball. Thunder ball is better. But still this a great movie. I do not know why people do not like it.
March 16, 2017
Certainly more watchable than Thunderball, even with some non-Bond like choices.
½ January 28, 2017
Basically a remake of Thunderball, this "unofficial" or "non-eon" production Bond film is a superior beast to that of the last few "official" 007 outings. While Connery's age could make the whole affair even more absurd, the filmmakers quite rightly decided to address that elephant within the plot itself. The end result is a solid spy adventure full of the tropes Bond fans have come to expect and love.
November 15, 2016
Bizarro James Bond. I usually enjoy the entries in the franchise that feel different but this doesn't feel different so much as it just feels very very off. However those who swear by Connery as bond will most likely enjoy it as a throwback.
October 24, 2016
9/16/2016: Meh. The only good or memorable piece is Kim Basinger.
July 24, 2016
I don't really consider this a true Bond film. I don't think it's part of the official series. Either way, it was cool seeing Connery back in the roll even though he's too old. Cool to see the video game style pain duel. The effects are getting much better but it suffers from the same thing as the others. It goes on too long and it's hard to pay attention.
½ July 23, 2016
While the motorcycle jumping over the car might be one of the coolest Bond stunts ever, the second and last unnoficial Bond film is disappointing for Empire Strikes Back vet, Irvin Kershner.
July 22, 2016
The remake of Thunderball is totally not great compared to the original, but Sean Connery's last Bond performance is top-notch and Kim Basinger takes a great early role.
July 17, 2016
Not as good as the early Bonds with Connery. (Diamonds Are Forever wasn't either.) The really good ones were Goldfinger, Dr. No and From Russia With Love. Only the Daniel Craig Bonds can match them. But if you haven't seen this one before, it's worth a watch.
June 7, 2016
Most fantasy appears silly when viewed objectively, and so too this older male dream of enduring virility undimmed by time and of a life w/o responsibility ("if only I wouldn't've had those kids, if I wouldn't've got married, I coulda did what I wanted, I coulda ..." and this film fills in the rest. All the women want sex NOW - is it possible to pant for the length of a whole film? And yet Barbara Carrera and Kim Basinger manage wonderfully - All the dialogue is so cornball cheesy as to be embarrassing. Klaus Maria Brandauer is good as the bad guy, a look of "yes, yes, I understand. You get the women" plastered on his face) Connery is up for the task as stand-in for the male species, a British agent (everyone knows him - so where's the secret?) working beneath the auspices of the American CIA and yet he is still calling the shots. Does he win against the forces of entropy, of choas? He's shaken, but not stirred. And so the big boys dream ...