New Rose Hotel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

New Rose Hotel Reviews

Robert B.
October 5, 2015
New Rose Hotel, I admit, is not actually a good movie (though it is). It lacks in dramatic tension and in substance, material. Why do some rate it up then? I do so for the style and the acting. I think you have to be a fan of Walken, Defoe, literature, noir, and enjoy looking at Argento red lit to be able to rate this one up.
May 15, 2015
Call it what you will but I'll stick with rubbish.
½ April 30, 2015
Low budget bore fest. This is confusing because you see very little outside of what goes on with the 3 main characters. There is so much padding in this film, including the whole of the last half hour which is just a flashback montage. I'd give this a miss if I were you.
November 27, 2013
What's on the screen is so dreadful that it inspires the ontological question "What are films and why is this not one of them?"
½ June 21, 2013
Abel Ferrara es un gran director. Las pruebas contundentes son "King Of New York", "Bad Lieutenant", "The Funeral" o "The Addiction". "New Rose Hotel", una historia ciberpunk basada en una historia corta de William Gibson y protagonizada por una pareja explosiva (Willem Dafoe y Christopher Walken) es una falla en la carrera de Ferrara. Eso no quiere decir que no tenga sus momentos, pero la historia es alargada innecesariamente, los actores lucen cansados y la ultima parte es, aburrida...y eso en una obra de Ferrara es algo imperdonable.
March 20, 2013
Two of my favorite actors, Walken and Dafoe, in the same movie. How could it miss? Horribly, terribly, hideously, that's how. The director was, I'm convinced, on some kind of narcotic that induced him to endlessly repeat the same scenes over and over again. That, alas, was the least of this film's cinematic failures that even acting heroes like W and D could not overcome. And maybe worse of all, the girl wasn't that hot.
½ January 30, 2013
if it weren't for Asia Argento's tits and ass, this film would be lucky to get 2 stars.
January 25, 2013
If I could only get my hands around the neck of the director, I would slowly choke the life out of him! The incomprehensible ending ruined what could have been a 3 Star Movie.
Worth watching a young Asia Argento working her magic in bed, though!
September 17, 2012
It seems like everything was done at the last minute, and when they finished shooting they realized how short it was and added in an extra 10 or 20 minute scenes of flashbacks or eroticism. However, the acting was top notch and the scenes where the movie was actually focusing on the plot were quite good and had that nice, sluggish Abel Ferrara charm to them.

I say if your a big enough fan of Ferrara's you should at least give it a chance. Everyone else will be bored.
January 28, 2012
I'm a fan of William Gibson, but this movie shows that scene-for-scene book-to-screen adaptations don't work. The setup at the start of the movie was interesting, but the movie made the mistake of telling you the key events instead of showing them -- definitely not compelling cinema. The last third of the movie, with X going over events just felt redundant. Skip this movie.
April 11, 2011
Atypical spy story which involves industrial spies in a war between two multinational corporation.The aim is only making money,and so everyone becomes unreliable...good story,I found it quite original...but Ferrara exaggerates:too much use of different kinds of shot,too many flashbacks!The final part is intense,but also redundant...20 minutes to restate with flashbacks the entire story it's too much!
whosinthenews
½ March 12, 2011
New Rose Hotel is a great looking, stylish film, carefully shot and wonderfully acted by Walken and Dafoe, but I have never in my life seen a movie that goes so far out of its way to go absolutely nowhere. We're given a long setup explaining the details of Fox and X's plan to basically steal a scientist and sell him to a rival company. The last forty minutes however does almost nothing with this narrative. Various events which cause the plan to deteriorate are referenced secondhand, and the story mostly then just descends into overlong conversations that rehash portions of what we've already seen. At the same time the film also tries to thrust X and Sandii's lukewarm romance into the forefront when it has nothing to do with the main narrative, since there really aren't any further implications of their involvement (or lack of) with one another.
This was very much a wasted opportunity to create a dramatic, work of sci-fi art.
March 10, 2011
You know, I'm never expecting to see Willem DaFoe naked.
½ February 22, 2011
Based on the William Gibson short story (one of the early "Sprawl" stories), New Rose Hotel is an interesting attempt to bring Gibson's work to the big screen from director Abel Ferrara (The Driller Killer, Bad Lieutenant, King of New York). Thankfully, the film is a much more passable adaptation than the other major attempt: the rather forgettable film of Johnny Mnemonic (another early "Sprawl" story that also appears in Gibson's collection entitled Burning Chrome) featuring Keanu Reeves. Ferrara takes a much more low-key approach to the Sprawl universe. He evokes an uncanny feeling to the setting, but it is mostly through cinematography choices instead of through special effects, elaborate sets, futuristic costumes, etc. Ferrara's film sees Gibson's universe as existing much closer to home, perhaps just around the corner with the new inventions of the next five years. New Rose Hotel is an interesting cyberpunk thriller, but don't expect the cyber-theatrics of Blade Runner, Akira, or Ghost in the Shell. It is a muted future, much like those in Gibson's second trilogy. It is a film about information and the intrigues that arise with regard to its possession and transmission. I would give New Rose Hotel an even higher rating if it did not spend the final thirty minutes of the film merely repeating the first hour of the film in snippets. Stylistically, I find the final third interesting because it interrogates the nature of memory and depicts the same scenes with different shots and from different viewpoints, but it still manages to kill the flow of the film and make it feel overly redundant. An interested but flawed attempt to adapt Gibson to film, New Rose Hotel is a mostly entertaining cyberpunk, information espionage thriller that never quite manages to crackle with the energy of Gibson's Sprawl stories and novels.
February 16, 2011
I didnt watch more than 20 min of it... poorly constructed.
½ February 9, 2011
The only reason I've watched it is i'm a fan of William Gibson. The only reason I've managed to watch it to the end is i'm a BIG fan of William Gibson. The only reason it got 2.5 stars from me is excellent acting from Walken and Dafoe (and a nice 2-minute long supporting role by Annabella Sciorra). The rest of this mess of a movie is simply horrible.
January 23, 2011
NEW ROSE HOTEL (1998)
September 22, 2010
Specyficzny. Najlepiej przed obejrzeniem znac i kochac dziela wszystkie Williama Gibsona oraz klasyke noir SF a i tak sie czlowiek troche wynudzi. Ale wypada znac.
April 2, 2010
saw this in my cinema class, more plot driven than ferraras bad lieutenant, good performances by all 3, argento is so hot in this, and i liked all the creative things he did throughout, even at the end, even though i kinda knew overall what he was trying to do,i couldnt really figure out the lil details, an interesting film none the less