Night Moves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night Moves Reviews

½ October 4, 2017
Superb film-noir from the 70's with impeccably shot steamy night Florida scenes. It has an old-fashioned premise and old-fashioned feel but also frankness of the 70's. The plot is satisfyingly complex and intricate and, like a great noir should do, it leaves some important answers open to a debate to contemplate about afterwards. Fine character study and thin philosophical undertone add to the weigh of the movie. Gene Hackman in the role of private eye is brilliant. While he loves his woman he also loves his job thus his marriage suffers because of it. Not to forget the moody soundtrack and young James Woods and Melanie Griffith in supporting roles.
½ July 23, 2017
Hackman as a private detective hired to bring a runaway teen home only to do that and find out she was murdered a short time afterward. As usual, Hackman delivers. Most questionable part was Susan Clark's haircut, glad styles have moved on.
½ June 1, 2017
This is a movie that gets better as it progresses. It is about loss upon loss. About the disintegration of human connection. This becomes more clear with revisits and reappraisals. No, it is not arthouse. I could argue it may have came out better in the hands of another filmmaker, and although Arthur Penn does a great job and he's a phonomenal director, it doesn't match two other noirs recently released around the same time: Chinatown and Farewell My Lovely. This movie needs some dusting off but that requires repeated viewings, which are luckily easy to give considering the movie's endless providing of entertainment.
January 14, 2017
A mediocre movie with two great characters - Moseby and Paula. Warren knocks it out of the park as a realistic and layered female character- shocking for the 70s for the most part. Then Hackman plays so genuinely nice, friendly and sincere your heart can't help but bleed for him.
Unfortunately the plot doesn't live up to the depth of the characters. For a movie that dabbles in child molestation and potential kidnappings the answer to of the why for the twist is super left field and bland.
½ December 3, 2016
So very, very bad (and so very, very dated with its cheesy '70's music, mores and dialogue) that even Gene Hackman can't save it.
November 28, 2016
I love these ''private eye'' films.. Great movie!
August 20, 2016
I think this may be the best 70s noir, and I'm very aware it's up against some stiff competition (see Chinatown, The Long Goodbye, etc). I also think it may be Gene Hackman's finest hour, and yes, I'm also aware of Bonnie and Clyde and The Conversation. Arthur Penn, who directed Bonnie and Clyde, directs this film as well; it's a subtly devastating story, in which the mystery we follow is NOT the mystery actually being unfolded, but like our hero we learn this too late. Hackman plays Harry Moseby, a private eye in LA who clings to a certain old-fashioned concept of what a man, and specifically a private eye, should be. It's a concept that already seems passe in the decadent, cynical mid-70s LA the film depicts. At the start, Harry is hired by an aged starlet to find her teenage daughter. Hackman tracks the wayward girl all the way to Florida, and after an interlude there, he is finally able to bring her back home. However in the process he uncovers a much larger secret, and revealing that secret to the world may bring Harry the redemption he seems only half-aware that he seeks...or it may destroy him. This is a frustrating story to synopsize, because it is so reliant on the element of surprise to be effective (it is a mystery, after all), so the best advice I can give you is JUST GO WATCH IT.
½ August 12, 2015
This movie turned my trepidation toward the idea of Gene Hackman as a trampled p.i. into one of my favorite actors. Great entry point into neo-noir with a classic use of the seedy LA movie industry as a nod, but with gold still to be mined from it. Eight million stories y'all.
½ June 3, 2015
This is what happens when great filmmakers (Arthur Penn) get hold of an average script. The outcome generates a profoundly unique film that is great as it is absurdly-prude.

A private detective takes a case from a old Hollywood actress. Her underage daughter has left home, she is later found with her step-father. The old detective (Gene Hackman) parents left him when he was a young boy, he grew up to become a private detective. He is so adhesive to his job, he even tracked down his long lost parents (this story is tolled in an incredible scene, that can not be duplicated into word). It would consciously stick with him forever- now each case he takes he doesn't give up until he solves it. Struggling for that success of solving a case, so strong his wife is having an affair another man.

A great thriller/mystery, I may even say one of the best I have seen. Although I don't look out for the genre in the movies I watch, I may have a more particular eye for them now after this. A unexpected plot with an slight over the top twist but it did surprise me, with no idea were the film was going- what the conclusion or ending would be.
Director Arthur Penn; I have only seen his other film Bonnie & Clyde; a film that is critically accepted as one of the greatest films in American cinema and another film I don't like- everyone's taste's are different but I hated that film, it bored me. This film could have easily been boring- but it wasn't, not once, it was close to be five stars rating for this blog, until I finished watch- it has an un-equally good ending to a amazing film.
The director really, really like breasts, I mean to the point were every actress even underage (missing daughter) girl get's them shown. Not a damn thing wrong with it. Made the film even better in fact
An excellent thriller, like I said one of the best. While watching I kept thinking the film is gonna be one of my favorite films, as well as a great thriller. But an ending is the single most important part to any story, although fulfilling- I would have given it highest rating possible if it had Hackman's character walking through the airport back to his wife.
May 1, 2015
An interesting role for Hackman as the tough guy private I.
½ April 29, 2015
awesome private eye pic look 4 early performances from a 16 yr old Melanie Griffith & james woods.
½ April 11, 2015
A closed in thriller that you'll enjoy the twist and turns with or against these cast of characters.
December 2, 2014
Los Angeles é de novo a cidade em que todos se atraiçoam neste noir de meados dos anos 70 com méritos vários (incluindo uma intriga que transborda sensualidade sem nunca banaliza-la). Gene Hackman, como seria de esperar, é categórico no seu desempenho com tonalidades de solitário Melvilliano e sem ele o final de "Night Moves" não teria a mesma grandeza. Com alguma estranheza é um filme que não ressoa muito depois de terminar.
August 26, 2014
Young (17) Melanie Griffith makes the film worth your while. Never seen her in her early films when the lips were still small and face alive (oops). The story keeps your attention, although all things are not clear and keep you wandering afterwards. But what was idea with the 70s moustache??
June 28, 2014
Even if the domestic problems plaguing Hackman's character seem a bit forced, all the stuff about him trying desperately to inhabit the role of a hard boiled Private Eye and failing is fascinating. Also, its got one hell of an ending.
April 22, 2014
Indeed it a must see and full of suspense till the end.
March 8, 2014
Twisty but fascinating neo-noir about a private detective who tracks down a runaway, and ends up sifting through corpse after corpse that follows. Don't miss this!
½ January 26, 2014
A pretty good film...I loved the last scene.
January 23, 2014
nice to see a mature private eye story with nuanced performances and a story that doesn't telegraph all the twists along the way.