The Night of the Hunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Night of the Hunter Reviews

½ December 22, 2016
It's been a while since I've seen a B-movie that really impressed me. The acting grabs your attention, especially the kids; morality vs depression era is the name of the story, and doing what you can is the end game.
½ November 16, 2016
Charles Laughton's only directing effort is a psychological horror that poeticizes the throes of good and evil with intriguing use of light and silhouette.
October 22, 2016
Great movie. It's like a fairy tale about good and evil wrapped up in the horror and noir shell, with a chilling Robert Mitchum's performance as a serial killer/false prophet.
½ October 5, 2016
Good, but dated. The non-stop biblical references got old quickly for me.
October 5, 2016
Charles Laughton had only one directing credit to his name, and it was this unnerving noirish thriller.
August 15, 2016
At the time of its release, this was for sure a very frightening experience. Nowadays, it is still a haunting classic as I remembered it to be upon watching it for the first time.
August 10, 2016
Hauntingly beautiful cinematography, a fabulous score, and an indelible performance by Robert Mitchum who plays one of the most chilling villains in cinema. Despite a nauseating, sugary ending, Night of the Hunter is deservedly a classic.
August 4, 2016
It's intelligently written, exploring themes such religion and good versus evil while also being structurally innovative and experimental. However, what is so special about The Night of the Hunter has less to do with its excellent screenplay and more to do with the execution. The cast is phenomenal (Robert Mitchum is the stand out), and their performances are highlighted by an understated visual style, relying heavily on longer takes and little camera movement. Furthermore, this style also leads way to some of the most striking and beautiful imagery I have ever seen in a film. These images, many of which contain deep contrast and expert blocking, are not only haunting, but also incredibly effective in telling the story visually, rather than overly relying on dialogue. The Night of the Hunter is a celebration of cinema. The attention to detail in every single aspect makes for one of the best cinematic experiences I've ever had. If for nothing else, this film embodies the power of experimentation. In a world filled with so many derivative films, it is worth remembering how rewarding it can be when filmmakers step outside their comfort zone. As a viewer, you should, too.
July 17, 2016
Unfortunately this movie was too dated and slow-paced for me to be engaged or in any kind of suspense. The lecture from the old lady at the end was the last straw for me. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but perhaps it could be remade, Lord help us all.
July 5, 2016
83%
Charles Laughton directs the film effectively with a lot of technical expertise and he's the real star here. Mitchum is good, but not as great as the critics claim to be. The film is not disturbing, neither is its central character because you always get a predictable PG-13 feel from it. It did have a good story that just didn't rely too much on cliches.
June 28, 2016
Nicely shot and executed with a disturbing villain.
June 2, 2016
Unusually dark for a 50's film where kids are playing such a large part. The story is quite predictable but it's still quite good; Robert Mitcham is perfectly cast.
May 23, 2016
One of the finest pieces of American cinema ever made. If you haven't seen it, move it to the top of your list.
April 27, 2016
The Night of the Hunter (1955) ????
Frighteningly powerful film with arguably Mitchum's finest performance as "priest" who lies his way to get what he wants, he even stalks his own step-children to get his hands on filthy money. Stark, haunting
March 19, 2016
The traces of german expressionism in some of the shots/nightmarish quality when from the point of view of the children is cool, as well as the shots set up like a storybook. I didn't find it at all scary though. I feel like it was technically quite good and inventive, but fell slightly flat and didn't pull all the way through with what it was going for.
½ March 19, 2016
While not personally scared, I did enjoy the elements of German expressionism.
March 16, 2016
This story is real good and its easy to see why its considered a classic but this movie desperately needs a remake suited for its dark and biblical subject matter.
½ March 15, 2016
An intriguing oddity, Night Of The Hunter was the only movie directed by Charles Laughton. The Depression era is a perfect backdrop for this moral fable and fairytale combined. The story was adapted for the screen by James Agee (The African Queen), and Stanley Cortez's superb cinematography heightens its overheated, Southern Gothic style. Robert Mitchum is at his most menacing as the corrupt preacher, Shelley Winters is his victim, and Billy Chapin and Sally Jane Bruce play the children left behind. Their salvation comes with the appearance of Lillian Gish, an actress who for me defines what cinema is all about.