The Ninth Gate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ninth Gate Reviews

January 17, 2017
Depp plays a great nerd, a little creepy.
½ January 8, 2017
Unlike so many critics, when I go to see a movie, I decide to watch it as I believe any normal person would - with an interest in the story, and a willingness to be open to the story. This is a thinker's occult mystery, the 'action' is very simple and realistic without explosions or car chases. I liked how the main character, Corso was played by Depp. The character is, at heart a con-man/researcher - and someone doing that isn't going do things to draw attention to himself or what he does by having obvious chases, fights, or an extroverted personality.
The story is fairly believable, although I have questions about just what happened to the twin bookbinders/dealers.
In some ways I like the ending and in others I think that there could have been a little more to see, but not enough to seriously detract from the movie. Hopefully it leaves the viewer thinking about the story a little. It got me interested in old books and manuscripts enough to do a little reading about occult and strange books from before the 1900's.
December 30, 2016
I thought it was entertaining, Da Vinci Code-like adventure, but not as good and not as tight. However, the ending was meh. The ritualistic mating could have been more definitive, but the loose ends were left dangling.
December 19, 2016
Enjoyed it and thought it was pretty realistic...!
December 14, 2016
Maybe the most boring movie I've ever seen.
November 24, 2016
All the themes from classic Polanski works are here once again. Depp is in top form. On blu-ray in the US and should be part of The Criterion Collection.
September 27, 2016
Entertaining movie with a lot to offer!
August 4, 2016
The elusive thriller with Depp as a book detective working towards the dangerous occult books. Where is not suppose to be plain serious, nor satanic elitist, it´s somewhat in between thrilling and at times funny, though in a view from the insane perspective. Mysterious and yet undefinable in the essence of pure define its whole. Claimed as Polanski´s worst effort, considered as golden for others, me included.
½ July 22, 2016
An engaging, slow-burning satanic thriller in the first hour, but soon the mysteries start to pile up in a plot that leaves too much unanswered (the reason behind the first death, Corso's behavior in the end, etc.), and it falls flat with a very anticlimactic conclusion.
½ July 21, 2016
I see other reviewers are upset that the film started off with a lot of build up for a mystery we hoped would completely unravel, and I understand some are upset it didn't answer a lot. But I challenge anyone to revisit the film and declare they didn't completely immerse themselves in loving the experience. It was a load of fun, great staging, acting, and definitely music did its fake share of chores.

Polanski is good with the whole Satanic thing, he seems to know a lot about it. This round operates differently from Rosemary's Baby, more of a detective story whereas Rosemary is an exercise in terror, but the unfolding and understanding of Satanic cult is similar. Orgy, rituals, power seeking, and of course death.

Po
July 11, 2016
This is a brilliant, but slow movie. It is based on the book "El Club Dumas" by Spanish Author Arturo Pérez-Reverte. The movie is a very faithful interpretation of the subtle layers of deception in the original book.
June 1, 2016
Altho Deeps acting was great and enjoyable, the story just dragged on and on, the plot started off interesting but soon hit a brick wall..
½ May 29, 2016
Some shaky special effects in places - but otherwise a masterpiece.
May 21, 2016
Johnny Depp, James Russo, Frank Langella doing what they do. It did meander, but the film felt more like a novel rather than a film. It was atmospheric, there was one scene with boobs, many instances where rare book collectors and archivists would wince and cry, lots of Parisian charm and a hefty cloud of smoke. Every scene had someone smoking in it, which back in 1999 might not even have been a thing, but it was much more noticable. Never have I watched a film and ended it with a strong desire to have a cigarette. Nice film, very slow but quite cerebral.
½ May 2, 2016
Was this movie trying to be humorous? I would like to believe that the actors saw the crazy plot and thought it was a dark comedy. Director Polanski thought he was making a terrifying film that would rival his own Rosemary's Baby. What we have is a dark boring film that made me laugh unintentionally too many times, especially at its final moments.
½ April 7, 2016
Implausible as heck, this film almost relies on it's special effects (stunts and CGI).
March 31, 2016
Satanic cunts. Just above average thriller from Roman Polanski. Depp is great.
½ March 28, 2016
What a waste of time and talent.
½ February 16, 2016
I have mixed feelings after this film. Apparently good, but I'm not impressed.