Nowhere Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nowhere Boy Reviews

½ July 25, 2017
This film follows Lennon's early life as a teenager very well. Despite a few scene that as so fact as they are fiction its still a great film.
May 11, 2017
I'm not a Beatles fan but this was a fantastic movie fantastic acting fantastic casting it was just all and all really great
½ April 26, 2017
Capturing the story of a young John Lennon, Nowhere Boy sounded like a strong opportunity to delve into the story of John Lennon.

We don't really get any understanding of who John Lennon is or what the basis of his relationship with his uncle George Smith is before the man dies. No character building has happened by this point, so the film immediately begins to feel rushed before it makes it past the 6 minute mark. And then in the blink of an eye, the tone shifts to an overly optimistic one where we see John Lennon building a relationship with his mother Mimi Lennon over a montage of carnival activities with an overly optimistic tone. Nowhere Boy fails to get itself off to a solid start, but it establishes itself once it actively figures out who John Lennon is.
The film slows down after a while and begins to focus on John Lennon discovering his love of rock n'roll and the influence of Elvis Presley. As this happens, we begin to see the real side of John Lennon beneath his public image as a member of The Beatles. In actual fact, director Sam Taylor-Wood remains so focused on embroiling the story in its characters that it becomes a powerful portrait of an individual. I went into Nowhere Boy expecting a story about The Beatles, but I ended up experiencing a powerful biopic about a boy I never knew. Nowhere Boys plays over a period of five early years in the life of John Lennon and chronicles his time around the beginning of the formation of The Beatles, telling a story I never could have imagined and one that I vastly enjoyed.
Nowhere Boy has a very small-scaled story and plays out at a slow pace which may irritate some viewers just as the heavy focus on sentimentality may deter others, but all contributes to telling an emotionally rich story. Nowhere Boy is a film which rests its focus among the characters and the complicated relationships they all get twisted up in. There's a powerful tale of the conflicting influences in the life of John Lennon with his adoptive aunt prioritizing etiquette and proper conduct while his mother supports free spirit and artistic expression. These all contribute to building a strong backstory to John Lennon, exploring the heart of a musician who had an Elvis Presley-influenced love of rock but a strong sophistication at the same time. Sam Taylor-Wood captures the heart of the material with a restrained direction which lets the cast naturally work their magic. Her film is a very low-key one which remains focused on character development above all else, and while she lets this develop naturally she keeps the setting of the story convincing with beautiful scenery and nostalgic production design.
But given the restrained nature of the direction in Nowhere Boy, the cast are the ones responsible for really making it shine. And it's hard to deny that audiences will walk away from Nowhere Boy having experienced the talents of a truly brilliant cast.
Aaron Taylor delivers one of the best performances of his career in Nowhere Boy. In the breakthrough role which propelled him to stardom, Aaron Taylor steps into the shoes of one of music's most iconic historical figures and delivers some fine justice to the role. He perfectly captures the iconic voice of the music legend and the angry spirit that saw him grow from a boy into a man, and as we see him become more in touch with artistic side over the course of the film we see Aaron Taylor grow more passionate about the character. Aaron Taylor's charm wins audiences over just as his dramatic charisma catches them off guard, and so even at his most subtle he is an engaging presence. Aaron Taylor takes audiences on John Lennon's journey to becoming The Beatle he would be forever immortalized as and graces us all with a strong exploration of his many emotional struggles along the way. And the pinnacle of his talent is emphasized in the film's climactic scenes when he finally lets his emotions completely loose with the full extent of his intensity on display. Nowhere Boy proves to be the perfect front for Aaron Taylor's remarkable charisma, and he pays a great tribute to John Lennon with the brilliance of his performance.
Anne-Marie Duff also delivers an unforgettable effort. With the beauty and loving charm of Susan Sarandon, Anne-Marie Duff easily wins the love of audiences over. Though she is an elusive figure until the climactic confrontation toward the end of the film, Anne-Marie Duff consistently contributes a caring and supportive attitude towards Aaron Taylor which contrasts to the more emotionally distant nature of Kristin Scott Thomas. She has a very free-spirited nature to her which gives the film a light atmosphere and an enjoyable energy. Anne-Marie Duff perfectly captures an appropriate motherly spirit in her interactions with Aaron Taylor and keeps the story full of positive vibes.
Kristin Scott Thomas is also a powerful presence. She is very direct with her character approach, being strict with Aaron Johnson and ensuring that the important element of class remains in the story. She maintains a very strong will which borders upon cold at times yet always maintains a caring element as to emphasize the intense nature of the relationship shared between John Lennon and Mimi Smith. There is a very meticulous relationship between the two, but both Kristin Scott Thomas and Aaron Taylor work with each other on a very professional level which ensures there are plenty of powerful interactions between them. Kristin Scott Thomas brings an understated yet rich presence to Nowhere Boy and just adds further credibility to the perfection in casting.
Thomas Brodie-Sangster also makes a memorable albeit brief presence as Paul McCartney, sharing some memorable scenes with Aaron Johnson and using the chance to show off his own natural charisma.

Nowhere Boy may be a slow burning and heavily sentimental film, but with Sam Taylor-Wood's rich exploration of characters and a perfect array of performances from a distinguished cast, it ends up being a powerful insight into the early days of the man behind The Beatles.
½ March 29, 2017
Very interesting biopic that details the struggles of one John Lennon growing up in Liverpool. If you're looking for Beatles stuff, look elsewhere. It may be known now about Lennon's troubles regarding his birth mother, and they're detailed here, but there's more going on as one of the greatest songwriters ever grows into a man. Aaron Taylor-Johnson does a fabulous job as the young John, even managing to look very much like him at times. Surely worth a look for any Lennon fan.
February 8, 2017
Best fu@#ng movie ever.
October 18, 2016
Not really special or anything, it's just a pretty good bio-pic.
March 27, 2016
What a delightful small story of the youth and beginnings of John Lennon and the Beatles! Kirstin Scott Thomas, as superb as always and the music staying on in the head. Sweet.
December 9, 2015
The movie is about music legend John Lennon, So everything I wanted to know about the character and the pre fame time pretty satisfied in a very smooth and emotional way. The director kept moving between the funny simplr scenes to the gloomy sad ones in just a great efficiency, The actor Aaron Johnson whom i never heard about before was good enough to do that role but anyway the best one in the movie was Kristin Scott Thomas, She always got the scene from everyone, Great movie in common & pretty got me sad for awhile :(
November 3, 2015
An authentic and moving drama that takes a look at the life of a pre-Beatles 15-year-old John Lennon and mainly benefits from its sensitive narrative approach and remarkable performance by Aaron Johnson, who impresses us even if he looks nothing like the real John.
½ October 22, 2015
Sympaattinen elokuva John Lennonin nuoruusvuosista. ??
October 15, 2015
Historical inaccuracies, but entertaining.
August 3, 2015
Oh My God! Was such a great movie. My dad was a big Beatles fan and I grew up on their music. ATJ played Lennon very well. This movie is a must see.
½ July 19, 2015
wow. loved it. warms me to the prodigal son. great performance around.
June 28, 2015
Swoons at Aaron Johnson.
May 14, 2015
I don't know if it's because I had a hard time paying attention, but I think the movie ended really abruptly. Besides that, I really enjoyed the acting along with the choice of casting. The cinematography was on point and so was the music. All in all, it did a very lovely job at depicting John Lennon's wild youth.
April 14, 2015
There is true beauty in this film, portraying a once broken boy, and his road to success, overall this movie was awesome but my only issue is the actor who played Paul, not that he did a bad job, but the actor didn't suit this film.
March 22, 2015
Nowhere Boy started off very slow and awkwardly, with little originality or excitement to be had, unless, possibly, you're a John Lennon fan boy/girl. This monotony continues until about half way through the film, but almost suddenly goes from minor enjoyment to extreme passion and emotion. Without letting up, this amazing turn around continues flawlessly until it silently settles down and ends on a smooth and well played note.
March 16, 2015
unreal. fantastic story and Aaron Johnson played Lennon wonderfully. loved it.
March 9, 2015
?????, ??????? ??????????? "50 ????????", ?????, ??????-??.