Observe and Report - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Observe and Report Reviews

½ October 31, 2016
Underrated film in my opinion, one of Seth Rogans better comedies.
½ September 19, 2016
Maybe it's intentional, maybe it's not, but how fitting that a movie with a lead character suffering from bipolar disorder would almost feel like two separate films. The problem is that the two tones set up completely clash, and the better half of the movie requires sitting through a less interesting first half. That first half is the typical fare you expect from a Seth Rogen led film: crass jokes and obscene language galore, and it all starts to wear thin as the movie progresses. Around the midpoint, the film takes a strong turn and goes into rather dark territory: the raunchy yet light comedy is substituted with a strangely deep analysis of Ronnie Barnhardt's (Seth Rogen) bipolar disorder, almost in line with a dark comedy version of Travis Bickle. This segment is far and away the most intriguing, but it comes too late and the tonal shift is jarring. Rogen himself is actually close to his best here, and offers up a surprising amount of depth to a character you wouldn't expect as much from. Alongside him, Michael Peņa has a short but memorable stint, and Collette Wolfe is a charming addition to the cast.

It's a bizarre film that will appeal to people with a sense of humor in line with Rogen's, but others need not bother: while the last half and its surprisingly dark subject matter is fascinating for this kind of movie, sitting through the first half simply isn't worth it.
September 12, 2016
if you understand the perspective of the movie, it's very good!
September 5, 2016
It took a couple of viewings to come to the conclusion that this is a decent movie. Not great but I've seen much worse. Anna Faris and Michael Pena steal the show.
August 17, 2016
not the best of Seth Rogan but funny enough
½ June 28, 2016
Observe and Report is hilarious and uproarious. Seth Rogen is pretty funny in this movie. I would suggest this movie.
June 11, 2016
Funny. Surprisingly great acting and action. Ray Liota was amazing. Seth really tried in this movie
½ April 16, 2016
Grade: B. It was not bad at all. It was pretty good in my opinion.
½ March 17, 2016
I love how dark this film is but freely admit that it's deeply flawed. For better or worse, it ticked my morose side.
½ February 16, 2016
A clever yet uneven comedy that may be too downbeat for everyone's tastes as it raises sharp questions about our society with a lot of political incorrectness, but it is a pity that it remains only one step back from being truly hilarious, even though it does have its inspired moments.
½ February 4, 2016
All of this is uncomfortable, disquieting and painfully, excrutiatingly unfunny.

Zero Stars
jamrcla
½ February 1, 2016
A hit and miss and very dark acted comedy, Very few laughs but still pretty clever, It will only be enjoyed by a select group of movie goers.
December 26, 2015
Don't expect anything Oscar worthy but it's great movie to watch when you're looking for a bit of laughs and an insane plot.
December 10, 2015
There's a few scenes that are absolutely hilarious, but it's surrounded by dreadful attempts at humor that fall desperately short of funny.
December 3, 2015
Anybody who claims this is a funny, gut wrenching comedy lied. I didn't laugh much at all during this film. A couple moments were funny but for the most part I had a straight face. Its your typical Seth Rogen comedy. Nothing special.
November 20, 2015
i hate to say this and i have nothing against rogen what so ever but this movie was terrible I perfer paul blart better then this for a reason and this is one of them.
October 22, 2015
I am 85% sure that I have seen it, but I don't remember much.. :/
October 20, 2015
I'm kind of surprised that Observe and Report didn't get enough recognition as a comedy. This is a smart and dark comedy, and something feels interestingly different about Seth Rogen's performance than it usually does in his other films. Not that his other performances aren't fantastic cause they totally are.

Grade: B+
½ September 27, 2015
Hilarious comedy by Seth Rogen. The drug scene is priceless. Underrated movie.
September 7, 2015
The typically likeable Seth Rogen does deliver some side-splitting laughs, but the movie seems to be on the fence about his racist, sexist, gun-crazed mall cop character - whether to parody him or relate to him.