Old School - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Old School Reviews

April 3, 2007
wasted funny premise
½ March 3, 2009
Why do men act like boys? Because they can.

Saw it again! Very funny movie! If you're not offended by raunchy comedy, this movie will satisfy! Rent it, grab some popcorn and enjoy! Be careful drinking your cola though, you may end up snorting it out your nose.

Mitch, Frank and Beanie are disillusioned with their personal lives begining when Mitch's nymphomanic girlfriend, Heidi, cheats on him, then former party animal Frank gets married, but unwilling to get go of his wild life, and Beanie is a family man seeking to reclaim his wild and crazy youth. Beanie suggests that they form their own fraternity in Mitch's new house on a college campus to re-live their glory days by bringing together a variety of misfit college students, losers, middle-aged and elderly retirees as their new friends and later try to avoid being evicted by the new Dean of Students, Pritchard, whom still holds a personal grudge against all three of them.
November 1, 2011
There are some movies that try to be raunchy without the substance to convince audiences that the characters are genuinely raunchy (I'm looking at most of the iterations of the National Lampoon's movies). "Old School" delivers it. Though there were only a few laughs in there, it was entertaining for what it was; plus, this is one of the few roles where Will Farrell doesn't try too hard to be outlandishly crazy.
½ May 28, 2011
I thought this was actually pretty good. Three friends (Luke Wilson, Will Ferell, Vince Vaughn) create a fraternity and must do everything to stop the asshole dean from trying to stop there fraternity. The plot of this was nothing and completely forgettable. The comedy was great, I loved every joke in this. The acting was funny but I didn't find Luke Wilson funny, everyone else was funny. Overall if you want comedy go see this movie. Will Ferell still lives as my favorite comedian.
June 27, 2011
A fun movie made possible by the great comedic talents of Vince Vaughn, Luke Wilson, and especially Will Ferrell. Without the strong cast and Phillips' obvious comedic touch and style, the movie would've been much farther off. Even if the jokes don't always stick, the entertainment always does, especially for any comedic fan.
January 22, 2011
Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn team up with Todd Phillips. How can it not be great?
June 29, 2010
this movie is hilarious. B+
½ June 11, 2010
Old School for me was once a terrific comedy. With every viewing, the film got worst, the jokes staler and the story sucks. The scenes without Will Farrell aren't that funny, and make the film very boring. The first half of the film is great, but the second half brings it down to a whole new low. An hour into the movie, the actors seem like they're lacking on good jokes are a struggling to do something funny. Old School is decent, but it doesn't stand the test of time. The scenes with Farrell were the best, it's the only thing keeping me from giving this film less than 2 and half stars. Along with Talladega Nights, this is Will Farrell's funniest film, and thats not saying much. The guys career is going in the shitter with every new film he makes. At least with Old School he's the funniest and best scenes. Take those scenes out, and Ol School would suck ass. I'll stick with comedy greats such as The Big Lebowski and The Hangover. I'm not watching this film. A decent comedy, but overall a big disappointment if you take into account that Will Farrell makes this film what it is.
½ January 23, 2010
An average comedy! I only laughed a few times, but it had a good feel to it! Not Really!
November 26, 2009
Old School is a great comedy that never gets old. The cast is incredibly funny and work extremely well off of each other. The plot is actually existant and is really well concieved. It has everything you'd want in a comedy without any sort of corny aspect to it.
½ June 21, 2007
Yes, this kind of comedy is very broad, but sometimes you (or at least, I) don't want to laugh at subtle humor. Sometimes I just want to laugh at ridiculous situations and silly, over-the-top characters. That's a pretty apt explanation of what Old School offers.
October 8, 2009
Will. Ferrell. Sucks. He just isn't funny to me at all...in any movie. Tries too hard to be funny, I think.
½ March 27, 2008
"We're going streaking!"

'Old School is either a movie you'll love or hate. There's various reasons for that. One could be the constant argue of whether Will Ferrell is the next King of comedy or an overrated ass. Me, myself and I are huge fans of Ferrell and we are not ashamed to admit that. In fact, Ferrell was the only reason why I, sorry.. we decided to what this film.

One reason why you, especially the guys, would want to watch this, is because of the common dream of any average guy, To have a place for the guys, where you can just hang around, have fun and throw out the wildest parties. Without forgetting the sweet sweet overdose of the nectar of life... Beer. Every man is afraid of that day when you loose your mojo and settle for a dull life and future...

"Sorry, your seatbelt seems to be broken. What do you recommend I do?
- I recommend you stop being such a faggot. You're in the backseat."

The story is, of course, predictable but that is something that doesn't come as a surprise in the films of this genre. That factor does take away some points of the final score but the humor works good. The funniest scenes are given by Will Ferrell but biased as I am, it doesn't surprise you at all. In my opinion, he's just such a talented comedian. He may go a bit over the top at times but at least he tries to give us scenes that you've never seen before and not settle for something "safe".

Another actor who's worth a mention is Andy Dick. He plays a gay guy who gives BJ classes for the ladies An oral sex instructor. Man, Dick's one crazy fucker! I remember him from some films and you could say that he's also a bit unorthodox. Love or hate. Me like.

"Oh, that's funny to you? You won't be laughing when someone prematurely pops in your face. It stings. And that is now why I have a lazy eye."

So, I guess by now you've decided whether to watch or skip 'Old School'. I can recommend this film for all you who want to see some light comedy with excellent scenes that will surely guarantee laughs. If you're that type of person who keeps a bible in your nightstand, gets nauseated by sex talk and other "guy stuff"... Go and see 'Borat'. No wait sorry, I almost killed you. Watch some Disney "classics" from the 70's.
July 20, 2007
"All the fun of college, none of the education."

Three men are disenchanted with life and try to recapture their college days.

Old School, like most modern American college movies, is nothing new. The idea of 3 older men moving onto campus is original but the jokes are pretty similar to what we have all seen before. However that does not mean its not funny, because it is a major laugh out loud film that will have you sniggering away like a 6 year old that just heard the word "sex". The humour is daft, characters like 'Frank the Tank' are silly but hilarious. What makes the film just that little bit different is the perspective of the older man re-living his youth in such a blunt and brash way. Its definitely worth a look for a bit of mindless comedy.
December 28, 2008
A poor Animal House wannabe. But I've seen Animal House. Animal House was a friend of mine. And you, Old School, are no Animal House.
½ July 10, 2008
I mean...yeah...kinda fun...whatever...you know...Ellen Pompeo actually didn't annoy me in this movie.
May 10, 2007
Mitch Martin: True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

One of the few movies in recent years that I can remember almost every line to. The movie is so ridiculously entertaining to me. Its the kind of movie that everyone has, where you remember everything about it, the little gestures characters do, what will happen and still be entertained, this is that movie for me. Does it deserve five stars? To me, yes.

Three 30 something men use the house recently purchased to form a fraternity for students and other men like them, in an effort to keep good times rolling.

Of course good times are in trouble when issues like the Dean's meddling, relationship problems, and death put a hitch in things.

Todd Philips of Road Trip directs what he has stated as the college comedy version of Fight Club, and as ridiculous as that statement may be, this movie is a very good laugh.

All three leads balance things out, complete with streaking, initiations, KY wrestling, and Mitchapalooza things all just work out.

Luke Wilson is the straight man of the group.

Mitch: A professor lived here for like thirty years and died.
Beanie: That's awesome.

Will Ferrell shows up and becomes such a presence after a beer consumes him.

Frank: That's how you do it. That's how you debate.

Vince Vaughn is just hilarious with everything he does.

Beanie: Don't beat yourself up over this, Mitch. It's not your fault. Dammit, Blue was old. That's what old people do. They die.

Even Jeremy Piven comes in as the Dean and makes things work.

Beanie: Who's this guy?
Mitch: Beanie, you remember Cheese, Rodney's kid brother?
Dean Pritchard: Actually, my name's not Cheese anymore. It's Gordon Pritchard.
Beanie: Oh yeah. Cheeeeeese. Yeah, didn't we lock you in a dumpster one time?
Dean Pritchard: Yea, I got out.
Beanie: Cool man.

A great college film that is still hilarious on repeated viewings. Chock full of the stuff you need, gratuitous nudity, alcohol, off-campus shenanigans.

Jerry: What will you have to do with the university?
Beanie: Legally speaking there will be a loose affiliation. But, we will give nothing back to the academic community. As well as provide no public service of any kind. This much I promise you.
March 4, 2008
Perfect example of the 21st century comedy.
November 29, 2007
Will Ferrell as "Frank the Tank". Need I say more?