Old School - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Old School Reviews

½ March 13, 2017
Taking the college film and putting a new twist on it works very well. Luke Wilson and Will Ferrell are awesome, however Vince Vaughn is only ok. He was miscast. The comedy aspect is really funny almost all the time.
March 11, 2017
It had been awhile since I've watched this. Still comedy gold despite people overkilling "You're my boy Blue!" years ago.
½ December 25, 2016
Incredibly stupid, I had to stop the film after Will Ferrell began tonguing Sean William Scott while he was giving him mouth to mouth after nearly drowning. Cringe after cringe and I had enough.
December 12, 2016
I remember watching Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby a couple of months ago, may have been longer than that, to see if it held up well considering that the first time I watched it was over 10 years ago at this point. And, much to my surprise, it held up really well. It was still a really damn funny movie to this day. And, really, that's probably the main reason I decided to revisit this movie over a decade after I first saw it. I will admit, though, that, unlike Talladega Nights, I don't have many fond memories of this movie. That's not to say I disliked it, 15 (or 16) year old me probably enjoyed this movie, I'm just saying that I don't actually remember much from this movie. No idea why, I just don't remember much. But, and also unlike Talladega Nights, I don't think time has been as kind to this movie as I would have wanted. Don't get me wrong, it's an enjoyable movie for sure, but it's one that's very inconsistent. Particularly the first 30 minutes or so just did absolutely nothing for me. The rest of the movie is certainly enjoyable, so I think that makes up for the first 30 minutes being weak. And, I couldn't even see this back in the day when I first watched it, but this was a total 80s movie rip-off. Perhaps rip-off isn't the right term. And now that I think about it, this is more inspired by Animal House, but it does have 80s influences for sure. A ragtag group of guys start a fraternity and the dean tries, by any means necessary, to kick them off campus. The fraternity gets into raunchy hi-jinks. Sex jokes are made. Tits are released. People die. You know, your typical raunchy comedy. It comes to the predictable climax where the fraternity has to prove their worth in a series of activities that include debates, academic tests and athletics. They obviously succeed at this, but the dean still finds one last way to attempt to fuck with them and their legitimacy as a fraternity, before all ends well and they're allowed to stay on campus. Stop me if you've heard any of this before. I'm positive that you have and that, to me, is really this film's major problem. Well that and the fact that it's not a consistently funny movie from beginning to end. But the fact is that this is a movie that does nothing more than pay tribute to the films that influenced it. And it's a fun tribute at that, there's absolutely no denying it, but that's just the way it is. The cast is definitely more than good. Luke Wilson, Vince Vaughn and Will Ferrell are all good here and they elevate material that's really as basic as it gets when it comes to raunchy comedies. It might seem like I'm down on this movie, but I'm really not. As a whole, I actually did enjoy this movie, but I can't overlook a film's flaws even if I enjoyed it. At least that's what I try to do in these reviews. I may not always write the best reviews, actually I hardly ever write the best reviews, but I try to be honest in them. I don't really have much else to say about this, if you loved Animal House and other films of its ilk then this would be right up your alley, even if it doesn't match up to its classic influences. Still, this is an enjoyable movie with a wide variety of flaws that help keep it from reaching a truly legendary status.
½ December 9, 2016
One of Will Ferrells best. Very funny movie.
November 22, 2016
It's not as great as I remember, but there were a couple of moments when I laughed really hard!
September 19, 2016
Ok, so compared to most people I did not enjoy the movie.
September 11, 2016
Very funny. Glad I stumbled upon this one.
½ August 19, 2016
Recently separated man is persuaded by his married friends to rent a frat house and after a wild party he is forced to start his own fraternity or move from the premises. This comedy hits the right tone needed for these kind of "Animal House" inspired comedies. This one works because the characters are likable and the audience can relate to their situations.
June 13, 2016
Old School was an okay movie. The plot wasn't that good and it lacked comedy. This movie is more for college kids and maybe even high schoolers. I wouldn't really suggest this movie.
April 21, 2016
Will Ferrell Owns in this movie....

Your Fucking Crazy man your crazy! ha
March 27, 2016
this movie is pretty stupid. Will Ferrell ruins it! the movie has some good moments though (when Will isn't around!)
March 9, 2016
Aivot narikkaan leffa, hauskoja kohtauksia. :D (Suom. Old School - Jengi koossa)
March 3, 2016
Blue, you're my boy!
February 17, 2016
One of my favorite comedies.
February 11, 2016
Top ten comedy 60% by critics they're stupid
January 3, 2016
Decent movie with some funny parts but it's not necessarily hilarious. Overall, it's a fun watch but there are better movies of this type. 3/5 OR 6/10
½ October 24, 2015
Silly, but nothing to sneeze at. Will Ferrell helps you get through this film.
½ October 21, 2015
besides the few quotes that everyone still uses, this movie does not hold up.
September 27, 2015
There is absolutely no excuse for this movie. A poorly written screen play, poor editing, mediocre acting. I've got to say it: the emperor has no clothes. For you own sake, please give this one a miss.