Once - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Once Reviews

September 27, 2016
Since the first listen of "Falling Slowly", I knew I was going to fall in love with this film instantly. The movie is short but contains the most substance and some hopeful charm. It's a love story, but more of the love of music than anything else. It's in the songs and the performers where we feel much of the emotion. Many struggling musicians feel that in the songs we ourselves sing, write, and/or play. That realism, plus the atmosphere of a working class city, makes it such a fresh take on the musical genre, let alone modern film in general.
½ August 9, 2016
A homey, nostalgic feeling the motion picture Once is able to convey makes it one of the most surprising films of 2006.
½ July 26, 2016
Some good songs, good actors and story. Don't know why I wasn't as engaged as I should be. They separate at the end
July 24, 2016
John Carney's musical debut is a bitter-sweet symphony of powerful storytelling and sensational music that his films are known for.
½ July 18, 2016
No way. Junk. Fast-forward express. Almost unwatchable. Because the producer won't borrow a fooking tripod or any lights doesn't make a "film" (low end video, supposedly deliberately) an artful or even interesting 1.5-hrs. And it's not a musical. It's about the low-end studio music biz. Splat. This one is Dublin dumb & Roscommon rotten. Feelin' the Ire'ish.
½ July 13, 2016
"Once" is a superb romantic drama with a lot of singer-songwriter tunes that will determine how much you enjoy the film. I personally didn't like any of the songs very much, so the movie was pretty slow going and a struggle for me personally, but even despite the road block of the music I still think it's a well made and thoughtfully executed low-budget musical film. I appreciate its uniqueness and near flawless character development. It's really too bad about that music.
½ July 13, 2016
Once is a brilliant tale of love and music from accomplished director John Carney. With its alternative cinematic style and charming story arch, 'Once' is an uplifting feel good film with a spectacular musical display.

It is not surprising that lead song 'Falling Slowly' won an Oscar, and others such as 'If You Want Me' could just as easily have been in the running. Set in Dublin, Ireland, the plot revolves around a vacuum repair man turned street singer and a Czech girl in a low key cleaning job in their quest to make good music and find love (or re-find their respective flames).

Though some of the alternative camera angles do not quite work, and can make some scenes feel a little uncomfortable, this subtracts little from the overall heart of the film and its status as musical brilliance and cinematic mastery. The features leaves much to the imagination in the conclusion, and is a thoroughly enchanting film to watch.
July 7, 2016
What a magical film! It's so sweet, so charming, so infectious that you can't help but smiling from start to finish. The winning chemistry between the leads and the terrific music make this John Carney's modern musical a masterpiece. Love the low-budget filmmaking style, and the songs are absolute aural treat. One of my all-time favorite films. Once sticks with you.
½ June 29, 2016
Lowest budget musical ever...
June 28, 2016
So boring and amateurish I could not finish it, and the music wasn't all that great, either The voices of the two leads were unpleasant, with the guy doing too much shouting and the girl threatening to break and go off key at any moment. She played the piano like a kid just learning it, as well. Why critics and audiences like this I'll never know.
½ June 15, 2016
Didn't like this at all, mainly because I don't like the music of Glen Hansard, a Cat Stevens wannabe, and this film is basically a showpiece for him. The story is weak and boring and is just put together to try and justify the movie.
June 12, 2016
What can I say about this, other than it's a perfect film.
A romantic must see.
Bound to be a classic.
Marketa Irglova and Glen Hansard have a natural romantic chemistry.
June 10, 2016
If the amazing songs were all that Once had, it would still be worth watching, but John Carney also delivers a powerful, mature and moving love story.
May 25, 2016
Happy 9th Anniversary! 5/20/2007 #BrokenHeartedHooverFixerSuckerGuy
½ May 22, 2016
The music alone carries this film. The two leads have amazing chemistry and are natural fits for their roles (both are musicians). It isn't a cut-paste romance, either; the movie takes twists and turns along the way with major payoff. If you love music movies, this is a must-see.
May 21, 2016
A simple, but poignant film about love and music, "Once" is intimately directed by John Carney and features an emotional soundtrack written and performed by Glen Hansard, which sets a reserved yet passionate tone I've only seen elsewhere in Linklater's "Before" trilogy. 5/5
May 10, 2016
It's fucking amazing. Kick you right in the feels. I support for the heart-touching scenes, soulful songs, and Euro swearing. Dope flick. Actually, it was beautiful.
May 8, 2016
The same director as begin again and sing Street, brings a more indie music based film than the others. The story here is a little lacking, but the chemistry between the two leads is decent. The music keeps the movie afloat and makes for an average film.
April 30, 2016
Been wanting to watch this for ages and finally found the time to do so. Beautiful, beautiful movie - never knew such movies like these would exist!
April 22, 2016
The astonishing soundtrack and well-developed characters make ONCE one of the best music films of all time