One Hour Photo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Hour Photo Reviews

½ June 21, 2017
Subjectively, I found this incredibly engrossing. Robin Williams was fantastic here, and his performance alone is worthy of a high recommendation to see this. The movie kind of messes with your head, in that, Sy, the protagonist, is kind of a big creep, yet you simultaneously feel bad for his chronic loneliness. I loved the cinematography, the foreboding bits in the soundtrack, the natural performances all around, and the sharp script with its twists and turns in the final act. Much of the film has bright white colors in scenes, yet the atmosphere is of an eerie calmness. The hotel sequence in the final act was a bit far-fetched and disgusting, but that's really the only gripe I have for this. It's expertly acted, paced, shot and written. One Hour Photo is one of few examples in the late Williams' filmography that allows his true acting range, outside of comedy, to shine.
May 24, 2017
Excellent movie, one of Robin Williams' best movies for sure.
½ February 16, 2017
Funnyman Robin Williams delivers a sinister turn as a photo developer (remember them?) who develops a salubrious fixation with one of his customers. Tense thriller is let down by a plot that is not fully processed. Williams is compelling as the psychotic stalker.
February 12, 2017
If you looking for the beautiful aspect of life, here you are !
November 27, 2016
Props to Robin Williams for a very convincing performance. This weird thriller is very well directed but just a bit dull. Technically a good film but not great entertainment.
November 14, 2016
Stunning film with Robin Williams best performance! Such a sad story but I guess it gives you the eye opener to how people suffer in life.
½ September 23, 2016
I had forgotten about this film, which I saw ages ago, and remember enjoying it quite a bit.

There's something spectacular about making a creepy person also a tiny bit sympathetic. Not everyone can pull this off, and anyone who does is commendable, as it shows that not everyone is developed into black and white caricatures. Some good people have bad sides, and some bad people have good sides.

Some of Sy's thoughts are endearing. Some are downright eerie. This makes him far more interesting than many standard villains.

The plot kept me invested and curious, right up until the very end. Would definitely watch this one again.
August 29, 2016
Creepy. Very creepy little film about a man who develops photos in a Savmart. He becomes obsessed with a family who does business with him. Robin Williams, as the photo man is excellent. Watch it, it's very atmospheric and. Creepy.
½ August 22, 2016
Arguably Robin Williams best, certainly most haunting performance ever. He elevates the film and this would have been forgettable without him. One Hour Photo is well constructed and keeps you on the edge of your seat, but the ending was quite dull. I expected a much bigger payoff.
August 1, 2016
Gripping psychological thriller from Mark Romanek with a bravura out-of-character performance by Robin Williams as a lonely photo-booth attendant with a dark obsession with the seemingly happy family who frequent his supermarket. Writer-director Romanek cleverly keeps the familiar psycho-stalker material away from cliche and instead weaves a taut, chilling and multi-layered tale boasting a career watermark turn from Williams.
July 30, 2016
One Hour Photo rides a delicate line. Not unlike Scorsese's Taxi Driver, Mark Romanek's sophomore directorial effort infuses two very opposing ideas into its central character: relatable sympathy, and a questionable sense of darkness and paranoia.

You can't help but feel bad for Sy "the photo guy" Parrish (Robin Williams), the socially awkward film developer at the local SavMart. Developing film is his life. He has no family, no significant other to come home to. His intent focus on his work results in Sy taking a liking to the customers that visit his section of the store: namely, the Yorkin family consisting of Will (Michael Vartan), Nina (Connie Nielsen), and their son Jake (Dylan Smith). Perhaps he takes this liking too far, but he doesn't mean any harm. He's lonely, and would give anything to find a family of his own that would accept him. With the Yorkin family, he believes he's found just that. It's a case of finding identity for someone who has none of their own.

It just so happens that Sy has picked a family that is not the picture perfect family he's imagined them to be. The Yorkins have problems in their home, and Sy feels obligated to do something about them. It's here where we see the other side of Sy. His sympathetic side goes into hiding, and a much darker side takes control. Romanek amps up the tension here, but does so slowly and deliberately. The metaphorical guitar string is continuously wound and wound and wound, with Jeff Cronenweth's haunting cinematography filling our vision and the two sides of Sy pulling our conscience in two different directions.

This is a character that needs a strong actor to work effectively, and Robin Williams is the perfect man for the job. It's almost polarizing to see an actor known primarily for lighthearted comedies a such a dark, complex character, but here, Williams proves himself as a dramatic actor in what may very well be the standout performance of his industrious career. His familiar sense of warmth works well for the awkward but relatable side of Sy, but as things progress into darker territory, Williams has no trouble unleashing his sinister side in a believable manner.

Anchored by Williams' intense performance, Romanek has crafted a slow-burn drama with a lot more to say than meets the eye, delivered with a refreshing degree of ambiguity not present in many movies. It's the kind of psychological thrill ride that throws you for a loop without many actual thrills.
½ July 17, 2016
Glad we went digital
June 20, 2016
Effective thriller with a great Robin Williams performance.
½ May 31, 2016
This starts out good but the cheesy hollywood ending lets the entire thing down.
½ May 16, 2016
One Hour Photo is a thriller starring Robin Williams as a man named Sy who works at a photo developing booth in a walmart like store, and is obsessed with this family that he has developed pictures for for years. This movie blew me away. I had high expectations and almost each of them were exceeded. Robin Williams gives a very quiet and sad performance as a lonely and obsessive man. very creepy at many times, but the performance and the writing allow for you to feel for this character. it truly is brilliant. infinitly suspenseful, beautifully directed, and acted to a tee, One Hour Photo is exactly what a thriller should be and is nearly perfect.

9/10
April 28, 2016
One Hour Photo is the directorial and writer debut of Mark Romanek, and it stars Robin Williams in a thriller film about a lonely guy who is a photo technician and is nice to the customers. There's always that one family that come to him for photos, and he's happy to see them, that is until we see that he might be a little obsessed with them. When my sister and I saw it for the first time a few years ago, we actually loved it and were really creeped out about the film. So when I got free HBO for the weekend on DirecTV and saw that One Hour Photo was on it, I figured why not, and watch it again, which still holds up as my first opinion, while adding in more layers that I find unexpected. This is mostly a one man show kind of ordeal that whether or not the film will be a success depending on the main character's performance, and luckily the late Robin Williams did an outstanding job of playing a lonely guy that gets obsessive. The supporting cast are also really good, and the main character's development is so effectively creepy, but also kind of sad that I actually felt sorry for him. The direction and writing by Mark Romanek is well done that that directing music videos really paid off for him, like the hallway scene for example that felt unsettling as it's just pointing the camera at Robin Williams being creepy, and it kept lingering on him for quite a while, especially with a very creepy score by Reinhold Heil and Johnny Klimek. There were some parts that I had no idea where it was going, and there were some scenes that were rightfully up for interpretation. One Hour Photo is a fantastic thriller that is very underrated in my opinion and needs to be seen more.
April 27, 2016
The camerawork is masterful, and Mr. Williams' creates a disturbed character that is as chilling as he is sympathetic.
½ April 17, 2016
Robin Williams provides a phenomenal performance that remains even more unsettling years after his untimely death. What makes "One Hour Photo" so successful isn't the dread it creates, but the sympathy Williams evokes. This is truly his show.
½ April 5, 2016
Very well-made movie. Very interesting and unexpected. It kept my attention the whole way. The supporting acting wasn't very good, but Robin Williams was great
½ March 31, 2016
Not bad : another 'tour de force' from Robin Williams, but not a lot else in it.