One Hour Photo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Hour Photo Reviews

August 15, 2017
One Hour Photo was unsettling to the core. Whoa. I mean, I actually felt uncomfortable watching this. I kept fidgeting! The whole premise and the realism of it just affected me greatly. This isn't just a typical psychological thriller where a crazy guy goes crazy and does crazy things. This is an intelligent study of a character who's loneliness and solitude has driven him to stalking a family. A photograph printer who sees into the lives of those that are within these pictures, he is able to imagine himself being in them. He clearly narrates that photographs are always taken on happy occasions, and never on the events that we wish to forget. I found that to be rather poignant. All he ever desired was to be loved or wanted, and yet he just existed. His days are just routines, his life being lived in the clinical colours of beige. So very monotonous. Another great narration was the etymology of the word "snapshot" which he said was a hunting term. A guy, with a camera, taking snapshots, of children. Powerful, absolutely compelling. Robin Williams yet again proved he was able to steer away from his typecast comedic roles and endeavour in more psychologically challenging performances. He was outstanding. The supporting cast were fine but Williams owned this whole film. Creepy yet with an undertone of melancholia. You can see how the screenplay manages to convince the audience that his mental state is of depression. We don't hate him, we actually sympathise instead. So many terrifying scenes, not in terms of horror but how realistically possible these scenarios are. Your child talking to a stranger and buying them gifts. A stranger waiting outside your house everyday. These stalker-like behaviour traits is ever so apparent in the current world. That's what makes this film so powerful. Realism. I wish we could've explored Sy "the photo guy's" past, I'm sure it would've been fascinating. It may not be a blockbuster thriller, but this little gem is one of Robin Williams' best performances.
August 11, 2017
There's no slow crawling zoom in this thriller. It's a portrait of a well-intentioned, lonely, but ultimately deranged and confused man. Robin Williams is truly a rare talent.
August 10, 2017
Wish Robin would have done more films like this. Never would have expected such a strong performance from him. Great movie. You would think you would dislike his characther but the movie just paints an interesting "picture." A creepy movie that will keep your attention with it's strong acting and twisitng plot.
August 10, 2017
The first time I've seen Robin Williams in a role so crazy, so creepy, it made me feel as if he were robbed of a nomination...
½ July 7, 2017
Good performance from Williams, but a bland script.
½ July 4, 2017
I loved this movie, this is probably Robin Williams best performance ever, it has such a great story, and the Cinematography is wonderful.
½ June 21, 2017
Subjectively, I found this incredibly engrossing. Robin Williams was fantastic here, and his performance alone is worthy of a high recommendation to see this. The movie kind of messes with your head, in that, Sy, the protagonist, is kind of a big creep, yet you simultaneously feel bad for his chronic loneliness. I loved the cinematography, the foreboding bits in the soundtrack, the natural performances all around, and the sharp script with its twists and turns in the final act. Much of the film has bright white colors in scenes, yet the atmosphere is of an eerie calmness. The hotel sequence in the final act was a bit far-fetched and disgusting, but that's really the only gripe I have for this. It's expertly acted, paced, shot and written. One Hour Photo is one of few examples in the late Williams' filmography that allows his true acting range, outside of comedy, to shine.
May 24, 2017
Excellent movie, one of Robin Williams' best movies for sure.
½ February 16, 2017
Funnyman Robin Williams delivers a sinister turn as a photo developer (remember them?) who develops a salubrious fixation with one of his customers. Tense thriller is let down by a plot that is not fully processed. Williams is compelling as the psychotic stalker.
February 12, 2017
If you looking for the beautiful aspect of life, here you are !
November 27, 2016
Props to Robin Williams for a very convincing performance. This weird thriller is very well directed but just a bit dull. Technically a good film but not great entertainment.
November 14, 2016
Stunning film with Robin Williams best performance! Such a sad story but I guess it gives you the eye opener to how people suffer in life.
½ September 23, 2016
I had forgotten about this film, which I saw ages ago, and remember enjoying it quite a bit.

There's something spectacular about making a creepy person also a tiny bit sympathetic. Not everyone can pull this off, and anyone who does is commendable, as it shows that not everyone is developed into black and white caricatures. Some good people have bad sides, and some bad people have good sides.

Some of Sy's thoughts are endearing. Some are downright eerie. This makes him far more interesting than many standard villains.

The plot kept me invested and curious, right up until the very end. Would definitely watch this one again.
August 29, 2016
Creepy. Very creepy little film about a man who develops photos in a Savmart. He becomes obsessed with a family who does business with him. Robin Williams, as the photo man is excellent. Watch it, it's very atmospheric and. Creepy.
½ August 22, 2016
Arguably Robin Williams best, certainly most haunting performance ever. He elevates the film and this would have been forgettable without him. One Hour Photo is well constructed and keeps you on the edge of your seat, but the ending was quite dull. I expected a much bigger payoff.
August 1, 2016
Gripping psychological thriller from Mark Romanek with a bravura out-of-character performance by Robin Williams as a lonely photo-booth attendant with a dark obsession with the seemingly happy family who frequent his supermarket. Writer-director Romanek cleverly keeps the familiar psycho-stalker material away from cliche and instead weaves a taut, chilling and multi-layered tale boasting a career watermark turn from Williams.
July 30, 2016
One Hour Photo rides a delicate line. Not unlike Scorsese's Taxi Driver, Mark Romanek's sophomore directorial effort infuses two very opposing ideas into its central character: relatable sympathy, and a questionable sense of darkness and paranoia.

You can't help but feel bad for Sy "the photo guy" Parrish (Robin Williams), the socially awkward film developer at the local SavMart. Developing film is his life. He has no family, no significant other to come home to. His intent focus on his work results in Sy taking a liking to the customers that visit his section of the store: namely, the Yorkin family consisting of Will (Michael Vartan), Nina (Connie Nielsen), and their son Jake (Dylan Smith). Perhaps he takes this liking too far, but he doesn't mean any harm. He's lonely, and would give anything to find a family of his own that would accept him. With the Yorkin family, he believes he's found just that. It's a case of finding identity for someone who has none of their own.

It just so happens that Sy has picked a family that is not the picture perfect family he's imagined them to be. The Yorkins have problems in their home, and Sy feels obligated to do something about them. It's here where we see the other side of Sy. His sympathetic side goes into hiding, and a much darker side takes control. Romanek amps up the tension here, but does so slowly and deliberately. The metaphorical guitar string is continuously wound and wound and wound, with Jeff Cronenweth's haunting cinematography filling our vision and the two sides of Sy pulling our conscience in two different directions.

This is a character that needs a strong actor to work effectively, and Robin Williams is the perfect man for the job. It's almost polarizing to see an actor known primarily for lighthearted comedies a such a dark, complex character, but here, Williams proves himself as a dramatic actor in what may very well be the standout performance of his industrious career. His familiar sense of warmth works well for the awkward but relatable side of Sy, but as things progress into darker territory, Williams has no trouble unleashing his sinister side in a believable manner.

Anchored by Williams' intense performance, Romanek has crafted a slow-burn drama with a lot more to say than meets the eye, delivered with a refreshing degree of ambiguity not present in many movies. It's the kind of psychological thrill ride that throws you for a loop without many actual thrills.
½ July 17, 2016
Glad we went digital
June 20, 2016
Effective thriller with a great Robin Williams performance.
½ May 31, 2016
This starts out good but the cheesy hollywood ending lets the entire thing down.