Only the Brave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Only the Brave Reviews

Amazing, so emotional
February 17, 2018
Simply one of the best movies of 2017.
February 17, 2018
Really excellent movie! The movie really shows the character of the Granite Hotshots and the heroes they are!
February 16, 2018
This movie was amazing. Great to see a movie was made to show the sacrifice these men made. The look, feel, and acting in this movie are incredible. The fact that this movie did not get any oscar nominations is ridiculous.
February 16, 2018
I vote this one for one of the best films of 2017.
February 15, 2018
its a great hero's movie
February 13, 2018
This will increase your knowledge and your gratefulness for those young men fighting fires across this country. Very well done.
February 12, 2018
Didn't get to see this in the theater (though I wanted too) I just watched on Redbox. It was as good as I had expected and hoped. The performances were solid all the way through. Brolin held the screen in every scene. Teller in the early scenes truly captured the useless doper persona, it was like I was watching some of the dumbasses I have had as neighbors and unfortunately, family members. I did not detect a false note among the team interactions. Despite some reviewers complaints, I can tell you as a 20 year military vet, the bravado (whether false or feigned), wiseass attitude and give and take you see on this team exists in these kind of environments. What some call clichés (cowboy hats; beer drinkin' ; BBQ and all the rest) is very real in parts of the country (just maybe not NYC). The laid back pacing and lingering camera shots of the vistas just added to developing the characters, the terrain, and the challenge they faced (with out having everything explained). One shot in particular is when Brolin shows up on Bridge's porch, there are views in the background of lightening strikes, very likely the cause of the fire the next day that caused the tragedy. Other movies might have lingered on what the men endured in that final stand, but that would have been sensationalism for effect (you want that kind of rush, this ain't your movie) and harrowing for the family members to view. All in all this was a character study of the team, not just a "fire movie".
On another note: it was great to see Jeff Bridges providing solid support, and Jennifer Connelly was incredibly strong and believable. It was also uncanny to see the resemblances of the real individuals during the credits compared to the actors, Solid casting, solid acting, beautiful cinematography and a moving true story that reminds you of the commitment of some individuals that most people take for granted.
February 11, 2018
This is not a remotely accurate characterization of how category one crews operate.
February 11, 2018
Solid, good and brave. Only The Brave is a solid movie full of heart and very well directed, the solid cast provide a strong tribute to the truth story of human heroes. (4/5)
½ February 11, 2018
Fantastic film - should have garnered a lot more attention than it did.
February 11, 2018
Masterfully done! Loved the dedication to portray this story in the most accurate way possible with raw emotion.
February 11, 2018
Great movie. Checked it from Redbox last night. Entertaining and informative. Emotional at the end.
½ February 11, 2018
There are times where it feel like a made-for-TV movie, but "Only the Brave" is a worthy drama that pays affecting tribute to a group of unsung American heroes.
February 11, 2018
Some of it was okay, I guess, but most of the time it was rather boring. The three stars rating goes for the good cast and performances, but the movie itself lacked tension almost entirely.
AWESOME!! Heroes All!!
February 10, 2018
This is one of the most unexpectedly great movies I have ever seen. I did not know the story at all before seeing the movie and it makes me cry like I never cry for a hero movie before. It strikes me not as a hero movie but a tragedy in real world.
February 10, 2018
Every scene is a contrived macho cringe fest.
½ February 10, 2018
It was a beautiful capture of an incedible tragedy. Since I didn't know the story behind it; I didn't see that coming. It was very sentimental and horrible.
½ February 10, 2018
Based on true events you will see the conclusion miles away but somehow the movie accomplishes to get an emotional connection with the characters and get a satisfying end, mainly with the good work of great actors, specially Josh Brolin (blonde Miles Teller is a miscast).