Only the Brave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Only the Brave Reviews

August 10, 2018
Great cast, nice story...but it didnt move me like it should.
August 8, 2018
I think this movie did a great job of showing the world what being a wildland firefighter actually means, that not only does it take bravery, it takes a lot of heart as well. I like the fact they focused more on the personal lives of these brave men and didn't ruin it by trying to turn it into a cheezy action flick. This movie is a must see!
½ August 7, 2018
Only the Brave is a 2017 American biographical drama film directed by Joseph Kosinski.
While the ending was emotional and did bring a tear to my eye, the rest of the movie didn't have enough substance to keep my attention or form a bond with the characters. It has a very American macho boot-camp feel to it, and there simply wasn't enough of a back-story to justify the length of this film. Even the side stories, which involved various family members, weren't strong or interesting. Still, I had no knowledge of this event prior to seeing the movie, and it kept me thinking long after the credits had rolled.
August 5, 2018
Fierce performances in the face of fire compel in Only the Brave.

Director Joseph Kosinski made an engaging film out of an inspiring true story. I think most audiences will be amazed at the tale, scope, and danger presented in Only the Brave. However, the movie's narrative takes some time to get going and feels like it's a half hour too long. Only the Brave feels the length due to the slower pacing. I still think it's an impressive movie.

Narrative wise, Only the Brave borrows far too much from Ron Howard's Backdraft for my tastes. It evolves into its own type of fire fighting film, but it often feels derivative. The true story elements are probably the most compelling parts. I also found the setup confusing as we switch perspectives often. I wish we stayed with Josh Brolin's character longer.

In regards to the acting, Josh Brolin and Jennifer Connelly are excellent, but underutilized. Even Jeff Bridges could have been given more to do. Only the Brave gets amazing acting out of its leads, but focuses far too much on Miles Teller's character. Teller plays yet another unlikable leading man. I just cannot believe his characters. I always just see him. Teller lowers the quality of acting overall unfortunately.

In all, Only the Brave is a harrowing watch and a fascinating story. But, it's just too long and needed to be edited down considerably.
July 27, 2018
***NOT BAD, BUT THIS MOVIE BELONGS ON NETWORK TV WITH 15 MINUTES OF ADS AN HOUR***
½ July 19, 2018
The film is a little light in exposition, glossing over some important terminology as well as the identity/characterization of most of the firefighters, but its powerfully acted and brilliantly shot. It attacks its story with an earnestness and never wavers from its tone.
June 30, 2018
Was very slow and was very boring.
½ June 27, 2018
Only the Brave is a touching story of brave young men doing what they loved to do. Josh Brolin and Jeff Bridges turn in great performances that keep viewers enticed for what is a sometimes slow-moving movie. 3.5/5 Stars.
½ June 26, 2018
Perfectly balanced as all things should be! This could have easily been a 3 hour drama but the crew do an excellent job in balancing the rating, story and the depth that had to be carried and given to the audience.

Veteran cast, enough said! Jeff Bridges and Jen Connoly each have one moment of pure brilliance, Josh Brolin is in an completely new league.

Score, sound mixing and the natural blending of VFX with it's in depth research and execution of wildfire deserve a praise and more.

A must watch film!
June 26, 2018
Unforgivably mild and weak screenplay for such an unimaginably painful and tragic event.
June 23, 2018
I was not aware of the Yarnell Hill tragedy, so the ending was unexpected. I have since read up on the accounts and official reports on what took place, and it was indeed found that alcohol levels in the blood and vitreous humor of some of the victims were elevated. However, it was not concluded that they were "drunk", as a reviewer stated. Those levels could have been due to the previous night's consumption, or fire-related chemical damage. Nowhere was it concluded these men were in a drunken state, or unfit to do their jobs. It was mentioned, however, that they had appeared tired from having been on call 26 of the previous 28 days, and that hey did not feel at 100% of their energy levels.
The movie is sympathetic and well made, and I thoroughly enjoyed the story and acting.
June 21, 2018
Muy emocional y dramātica.
½ June 21, 2018
A solid, entertaining and engaging drama. It may not bring anything terribly new to the genre but it does what it needs to do very well.
June 16, 2018
I was a wildland firefighter with the Southern Wyoming Hand Crew and when I went to see ONLY THE BRAVE I was ready to be bugged by all the technical mistakes. But, with a couple exceptions they really nailed it. And the character development, acting and writing were truly fantastic. Best drama I've seen in many years.
½ June 16, 2018
I did not know this story before hand. What a roller coaster of emotions about friendships, family, and heartbreak. Some amazing performances from all the cast and an ending that will haunt me.
½ June 6, 2018
Felt slightly rushed and cheesy in the first 20-30 minutes, but then pulls you in and tells an amazing story.
May 13, 2018
A tragic and respectful story about raucous heroes that fight fire.
May 5, 2018
This movie made these men look like brave men when in fact, they were all drunk and disoriented when they died.
½ May 1, 2018
Other than a few cliches, this was well-done with a good connection with the characters and emotional.
½ April 29, 2018
One of those standard real life stories of men in a dangerous job/situation/disaster and the families they leave behind, etc., etc. This one worked fortunately and told its story compellingly.