Operation Finale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Operation Finale Reviews

May 13, 2019
Well written, and emotional Operation Finale is a success that tells a time in history.
May 7, 2019
In many ways this feels like a movie that doesn't know what it wants to be - a tense espionage thriller or a prestige drama about the relationship between a criminal and his victim. The movie does well enough with both of those things individually but they don't seem to exist together well as a singular piece of film. Instead we have a slightly muddled story that really reaches the emotional peaks it is so clearly striving for.
May 5, 2019
Good acts. Buena y recomendable pelicula.
May 4, 2019
Due to good production, period detail and an appropriate ensemble this is a watchable, but not too sophisticated depcition of the historical events.
April 27, 2019
The movie as a whole felt slow at times, but did manage to keep my attention. If you are into history or just want to learn more about real life events from great actors like Ben Kingsley than this is a much needed watch.
April 1, 2019
This movie came out a few months ago and did not have a robust marketing campaign, so you may not even know that it exists - it tells the story of the Mossad's capture of Adolf Eichmann in Argentina and the subsequent transportation of his Nazi ass back to Israel to stand trial for being the so-called "Architect of the Holocaust". For me, the main draw of this movie was its powerhouse stars, Oscar Isaac (as the protagonist Mossad agent) and Ben Kingsley (as Eichmann). Who wouldn't wanna see these two incredible actors throw down? The good news is that I got what I came for, because the scenes between Isaac and Kingsley are riveting and definitely the best part of the film. The bad news is that the rest of it is a little lacking in drama - though it does sustain your interest, it falls a little flat. The film starts off with a great opening sequence that really hooks you in, but then goes in an entirely different direction. I was expecting the story to follow the actual hunt for and capture of Eichmann, cat-and-mouse style, but the hunt is almost entirely glossed over and the capture is laughably easy. Instead, the majority of the film is dedicated to the 10-day stint that they all spend in Argentina, trying to get him out, and not a lot happens during that time to advance the plot. Oh, the high drama of a man trying to get another man to sign a piece of paper! Ironically, this is where the film is most successful because it includes the aforementioned scenes between Isaac and Kingsley - those interrogation scenes are fascinating even if they are anticlimactic. Director Chris Weitz has done his best to beef up the story in the usual Hollywood fashion, and with varying degrees of success. The film really tries to amp up the drama of a story that, if you read it, is not actually all that dramatic, and though it effectively builds tension when it needs to it, the film nearly buckles under the strain (and I can't forgive it for the blatant rip-off of Argo at the end - come on, man!). There are also some fundamental problems with the storytelling. The film is plagued by a series of holes (not necessarily plot holes, but parts of the story that were skipped) and loose ends that are never tied up. Too much time is spent exaggerating some pieces of the story while totally ignoring others that are just as important to the overall flow of the narrative. This film would have worked better as a straight-up character drama, as it's not all that effective as a thriller. Its not a bad movie, but it could have been a lot better.
March 11, 2019
A somber portrayal of this important event.
February 27, 2019
A pretty good film about the capture of Eichmann by the Mossad in South America.
February 10, 2019
Not a bad recreation. Humanizes where we wouldn't see it before. Some issues with final execution of storyline - but overall decent watch.
February 9, 2019
Wonderfully acted. Interesting topic.
February 1, 2019
An entralling film about the chase and capture of Eichmann. Ben Kinglsey is superb and this film would be great watched back to back with The Eichmann show.
½ January 26, 2019
I thought it was a good film. All of the actors did really well. I feel like it was intended to follow in the same vein as Argo...but this was better than Argo, because that film was extremely overrated.
January 18, 2019
mediocre....... not a great view from either side of history used.......
½ January 14, 2019
A little glossed over but the acting and entertainment value were spot on.Good not great movie.
½ January 10, 2019
What "Operation Finale" lacks in intricacy it makes up for in tension and urgency.
January 5, 2019
A well done movie that tells a very important true story of the capture of Adolf Eichmann. Would recommend to anyone and watch again.
½ January 3, 2019
Recommended! Well-made, gripping postwar spy & Nazi drama, and a good primer on Adolf Eichmann and his journey to justice -- obviously not meant as a documentary! It is incomprehensible why a Netflix turd like Bird Box gets a higher critics rating than this little jewel. Whoever works here as RT as "critics" and giving this on a rotten tomato for nit-picky, pedantic reasons, should be subjected to 6 weeks nonstop repetitive screening of Bird Box, but not blindfolded. Watch Operation Finale!
December 31, 2018
i cAnt believe this got a mediocre review, we thought it was exceptional. 5 stars
December 29, 2018
A wonderful take on the historical operation of the Mossad.
December 29, 2018
A solid 4 star for me. Kinsley did a real solid job acting.