The Other Guys Reviews

½ November 11, 2013
Not the best of buddy cop flicks, but does well enough.
July 5, 2010
The premise is quite promising and the first couple of minutes of the film accordingly excellent: Take away the two most flamboyant and kickass cops in town and who will step up to take over the job? Probably some idiots. The chemistry between Ferrell and Wahlberg (just imagining his character may be the same he played in The Departed is fun enough) is great and carries most of the film. Sadly, their case is not all that interesting. Financial villains? Meh. So the last act and showdown fall a bit short and end up being way too conventional. So it's best to watch the most outrageously funny scenes on repeat than rewatch the entire film, I suppose.
½ December 7, 2012
The duo of Ferrell and Wahlberg entices the screen in this clever and hilarious buddy-cop film. McKay's flick is a comedy, as well as action-filled shoot-out with jokes and bullets flying from end to end. Though the story is partially let down by the slightly strenuous plot and debatable and conclusive intent, Other Guys does well to please its audience. 4.5/5
blkbomb
½ January 18, 2011
Allen Gamble: I can't hear! I can't hear! There's blood blisters on my hands! Oh, my God! How do you walk away in a movie without flinching when it explodes behind them? There's no way! I call bullshit on that! When they flew the Millennium Falcon outside of the Death Star, and it was followed by the explosion, that was bullshit.

"NY's finest were busy"

I've become a bigger and bigger fan of The Other Guys with every additional viewing. The first time I watched it, I liked it, but didn't care for the overacting. As I've watched it more though, I find that the overacting by every person involved makes it funnier than it should be. There's a lot of stupid dialogue that works perfectly because of the crazy performances of Farrell and Wahlberg. Also, Michael Keaton may be the funniest aspect of the movie. It's the most fun I've ever had watching Keaton. He's given better, serious performances, but as far as having fun watching him; this is his best.

Two New York detectives, Gamble and Hoitz are the laughing stock of the police department. One, Gamble(played by Will Farrell) never leaves his desk. The other, Hoitz(Mark Wahlberg), has promise as a detective, but his career slowed down after he accidentally shot Derek Jeter. When the two heroes of the police department die in the line of duty, Hoitz tries to fill their shoes and he needs Gamble to leave his desk and actually go do police work. When they finally get out there, they stumble on a huge case. The only problem is, no one takes them seriously.

As far as a comedy goes, this one works for a variety of reasons. The makers went for a silly as possible comedy; something that makes sense, seeing as it's another McKay, Farrell collaboration. Silly works when you give the right actors the right dialogue, and in The Other Guys case, both are present. The supporting cast also make for some of the funniest and best scenes in the movie. That just adds a whole new element to the movie; when you don't need you're lead characters to spout out all the jokes.

Overall, this is a very good comedy. There's some hiccups here and there, but as a whole, it's extremely funny and entertaining. If you don't like Farrell though, this one probably won't change your mind on the guy. In fact, his performance here may be up there with his craziest. In my opinion though, this is one of the better movies he's done lately. Him and Wahlberg's chemistry is amazing and reminds of the chemistry he has with John C. Reilly.
February 13, 2011
Feels a bit more forced than McKay's other Ferrell comedies, and its Wall Street plotline comes out of nowhere and feels like a completely different movie collided with the usual Step Brothers fare. You'll still find laughs, and its surprising just how well Wahlberg works with Ferrell, but I'd say The Other Guys is lacking in comedic momentum and struggles to find a consistent tone.
½ October 7, 2012
I don't like parodies very much. Most of the time, they are not very funny, and this movie is no exception. "Aim for the bushes"? Yeah right.
½ September 16, 2011
Clever and funny parody, The Other Guys presents too interesting informations about the world of crime in the final credits. The movie is also very good in the special effects and great humor. But flaw in silly gags and the cliche of "Good Cop, Bad Cop". Rotten.
Nathan H.
½ November 27, 2011
Will Ferrell is the least likely man you would want to be a cop. However, in this movie, he's just the guy. Two misfit cops: Allen, who is a former pimp and now desk jockey, and Terry, who shot Chinga, uncover a huge case, but have to face many hilarious, raunchy, un-classy obstacles in order to be the heroes.
½ May 24, 2011
I was never much of a Will Ferrell fan, but this is actually a half-decent comedy
Kyle F.
August 15, 2011
The Other Guys is laugh out loud funny, thanks to clever and original jokes that hit you in just the right spot and great chemistry between Will Ferrell Mark Wahlberg, who's good at being silly. Supporting performances are also a lot of fun.
½ June 13, 2011
The Other Guys is not as assured a comedy as the other McKay-Ferrell movies like Talladega Nights and Step Brothers, but it works on many levels. The first 30-45 minutes are the best the film has to offer, but you sense the comedy dwindle as the main storyline progresses. What makes the first 30 minutes great is lost once we realize we're heading towards more serious territory (embezzlement, fraud, bribery). Subjects like that just don't feel 100% correct in a McKay-Ferrel film. These kinds of movies greatly succeed when the characters are battling with their own stupidity instead of these grand-scale oppositions. The Other Guys only did that to some extent. But what really made the film is the obvious chemistry between all the actors, especially between Ferrell and Wahlberg, who obviously used a slightly more ridiculous form of his 'The Departed' character for his character here. A slightly unsatisfying but big-laugh movie from McKay and Ferrell, one you can add to the large list of their fun enjoyable comedies.
DreamExtractor
½ February 28, 2011
Funny, original, and great cast, and if you compare this to Cop Out, this is art. Will Ferell is funny, Mark Wahlberg is surprisingly a great comedian. The plot was good for a comedy. I thought this was one of the best comedies in 2010.
August 11, 2010
I'll echo what most of the critics and users have already said: some of the jokes fall flat, but the ones that don't will have you laughing till your sides hurt. Not to mention incorporating new phrases into your personal lingo ("Pimps don't cry" & "I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!"). Not my favorite Will Ferrell movie -- I'm a Talladega Nights man myself -- but another solid addition to the resume. And at some point, we'll have to all admit that Marky Mark is a very talented actor.
March 27, 2011
Pretty funny. Not much for story, but funny anyway
CloudStrife84
September 19, 2010
You won't hear me saying "wow" about this one. A fairly entertaining action-comedy, but it tries too hard to be funny. Jokes are flying out like random confetti, as if in the desperate belief that, the more they pack into each scene, the better the chances are to evoke laughter. And I don't know what Mark Wahlberg is doing in this, but comedy is definitely not his strong suit. Fortunately he is backed up by Will Ferrell, and together they at least manage to deliver a few gags that hits the mark. Overall, however, I wasn't too impressed.
½ March 14, 2011
The Other Guys is surprisingly hilarious comedy that feeds off sporadic dialogue and a ridiculous plot line. Ferrel and Wahlberg are a genius duo to this crazy comedy and will have you laughing.. A LOT.
sanjurosamurai
August 4, 2010
a very funny film. the vast majority of it was funny enough that this could have been the funniest film in years, but it wasnt consistent enough. for every 3 points of humor that worked, there was one that fell so flat that it was almost awkward. overall it was a great movie that i would watch again, and it deserves respect for getting back to a more 90's style of humor, parody, and satire, but ill remember it as much for its missed opportunities as i will its successes. the villain was also a bit weak considering this was a spoof of a genre which usually features stronger villains.
3niR
½ October 27, 2010
Loved the dialogues. And the movie was entertaining (more than I expected).
July 24, 2010
Mark Wahlberg is perfect in balancing Will Ferrel's exaggerated performance to make this a fun and enjoyable film. Silly without being slapstick. Mark Wahlberg shines! The Rock and Samuel Jackson's performance if very funny and wish there was a little more of them in the movie!!