Over the Top - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Over the Top Reviews

June 12, 2018
I'm a big fan of Sylvester Stallone and every movie i watch of his never seems to lack entertainment such as this one.The montage of the arm wrestling competition was quite entertaining along with the conflicting situations in which he encounters on his way to delivering his wife's son home.
January 10, 2018
Straight up, the movie isn't going to be admitted into any hall of fame or anything, but if you want to sit down and watch an estranged father try to reconnect with his spoiled kid and kick some ass, it's a great movie. Just kick back and enjoy the 80s cheese.
December 25, 2017
Sylvester Stallone plays an underdog athlete getting his shot at the big-time and also a chance at redemption. No, this isn't Rocky Balboa. It's the story of Lincoln Hawk (an awesomely fake movie name), a truck driver/amateur arm-wrestler. In what is likely the worst "sports" movie of all time, Stallone tries to win back his son and win a big arm wrestling completion at the same time. Said competition is hilariously filled with 80s style professional wrestling types of characters who seems to grunt and sweat more than speak human words. Even more ridiculous is Stallone's secret arm wrestling move where he repositions his hand to defeat his opponents, which begs the question, way aren't all of the other arm wrestlers using this same move or coming up with some sort of counter move after having seem Sly go "over the top" several times during the picture? Whoever had the idea that audiences were clamoring for a film about the world of competitive arm wrestling was quite mistaken. That person was likely producer/director/studio head Menahem Golan. "Over the Top" has added entertainment value for me, having recently watched the documentary "Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films," which documented the rise and fall of Canon Films, including how this film's excesses contributed into Canon's eventual demise. Featuring wall-to-wall cheesy rock music (by the great Giorgio Moroder, no less) and non-stop product placements (everything from Alka-Seltzer to Pennzoil to BRUT cologne), this film is the typification of excess (or over-the-top, if you will) at it's most ridiculous. However, in the film's favor, I did get a lot of ironic entertainment value out of how mind boggling awful it is. I'll also say that I do honestly think Stallone is a good actor, despite what his detractors may say, even if it's hard to see it in this film. Although I gave this film two stars out of five, it really deserves much less. If your film is beat out at the box office opening weekend by "Mannequin," "Outrageous Fortune," and "Platoon," your film is likely not going to be a big success. Overall, if you're in the mood for a movie that's so-bad-it's-good, you might get ironic enjoyment from this nonsensical film.
October 16, 2017
A Stallone masterpiece. This film has everything from heart to action. Incredible 80's memories and a picture worth seeing again and again. P.S I own the hat Hawks where's throughout the film.
September 4, 2017
Over the Top (1987) ? / ????
Majorly terrible movie where Sylvester Stallone is determined to win back custody of his son at the expense of an arm-wrestling competition. Will he also gain his son's affection? Do you even care?
½ July 12, 2017
Movie about a guy who has a dream to win an arm wrestling competition so he can win a semi truck. Its okay. I hated the boy. Oh my God is he a bad actor. But I did like the ending when they arm wrestled.
½ July 10, 2017
i wanted to watch this as a joke, to laugh at it after i kept hearing the flick pick talk about it. it had some unintentionally funny parts but not too much. i liked the relationship between the father and son. but the whole arm wrestling thing is kind of hilarious. the old 80s music is funny too (1 viewing)
½ June 19, 2017
Not enough ass-kicking, but the world does need at least one film about professional arm-wrestling.
½ May 12, 2017
A cheesy good time about a father trying to win his son's respect through arm wrestling.
April 3, 2017
If not looked at from the critical point of view but from the point of view of a child that grew at the time of this picture, this movie is very good and it has a primitive but strong message for kids: don't give up and believe in yourself.
½ January 8, 2017
Great heart warming father son movie starring Sylvester Stallone. This movie is just so awesome, the characters especially Sylvester Stallone and the kid, and how they get along is just good. This movie is just a timeless classic movie and makes you feel for Sylvester Stallone and how he feels about it, his emotion and how heart broken he is and uses that and his son as motivation to not give up and prevail. You just want to cheer for Sylvester Stallone s character, you loved him in Rocky now you love him in over the top. And when he wins the world championship , it's just like Rocky but instead of a love story and boxing , it's arm wrestling and it's a father son moment.
December 25, 2016
Winner takes it all loser takes the fall
December 12, 2016
Réalisé par Menahem Golan, une des deux têtes pensantes de la légendaire Cannon, Over The Top part d'un postulat si débile qu'il ne peut être que passionnant. En effet, on y suit Sylvester Stallone en champion de bras de fer, qui silonne les USA dans un camion afin de récupérer son fils, que le père (joué par un Robert Loggia de compétition) de sa défunte épouse veut récupérer. Si le film nous offre quelques moments formidablement étranges comme les concours de bras de fer et un Stallone d'une sincérité désarmante (à l'image du film, très chaleureux), il manque cependant un petit grain de folie au film, qui joue le coup du père célibataire et du film de sport sans jouer avec les codes. C'est un peu dommage.
August 25, 2016
Sylvester Stallone takes aim at the sport of arm wrestling in this cheesy and corny film that is also strangely watchable. There is hardly a true moment in the film and, dare I say it? The theatrics is way 'over the top'.
July 30, 2016
Over the top is a guilty pleasure. The acting and story telling is terrible but still lovable!
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Another 80's film that has a soundtrack that all sound the same and an underdog story and who else to play the main role but Stallone, He does well with the low budget and makes the film more exciting than it sounds, Not a classic by any means but it's under appreciated and worth watching.
½ July 27, 2016
Stallone plays a underdog who has to win back the heart of his son by winning in a competition. That might be a fun concept to revisit if it wasn't arm wrestling. The story is minimal, the characters are stock, and Stallone's presence doesn't help the movie much.
June 27, 2016
It was ok. Very different then a lot of other Sylvester Stallone movies. Wasn't really a action movie. The plot was interesting but the movie wasn't very exciting and had a lots of cliche dialogue and a predicable ending.
½ April 2, 2016
It's probably 30 years I saw this movie but the pain I felt watching this idiotic bullshit feels still fresh in my mind...why can't we give negative stars?