Paris Je T'aime - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paris Je T'aime Reviews

½ August 20, 2016
The masters of the medium send cinematic love letters to the city of lights in this moving and magical montage.
July 17, 2016
Watch it with your girlfriend. Guys, trust me on this one.
½ June 16, 2016
Had to stick with it due to quick cutting & subtitles through much of it, but in the end it was a satisfying 3D view (metaphorically) of The City of Lights & Love. Might have re-ordered the stories for a better viewing experience.
March 30, 2016
Great collection of short films. :-)
March 6, 2016
Heard good things about it.
January 25, 2016
a series of short love stories. you'll love some and you'll hate some. good time!
½ December 13, 2015
Montmartre: The first segment by Bruno Podalydes is an all right one that I'm gonna forget easily. The acting is fine, I do like the writing and the conversations, but it just ended very suddenly that made me go: that's it?

Quais De Seine: It's a decent segment that's a little better than the first segment. When it starts with three boys just taunting the women, I was not liking where it was going, that is until one of the boys helped the Muslim woman out, and the talk from the girl about hiding her pretty side out is really interesting and it makes the guys learn a bit more about women. The ending is also a little better than the first segment too and is not as sudden.

Le Marais: Gus Van Sant's segment is an ok one that I expected a bit more from it. All there in this segment, is a guy who's talking to another guy who he believes is in love, and the writing is all right, just not that interesting. A bit disappointing, but I hope that the next segment by the Coen Brothers does better.

Tuileries: An oddball take by the Coen Brothers that is definitely better than Gus Van Sant's segment. The direction is good, Steve Buscemi gives me some laughs from me, which all he did was reacting to what's going on. It's interesting, it shows a bit of what it's like in that place, and it's delightfully weird.

Loin Du 16e: A sweet segment that is nothing much of it. The song is pretty nice to listen to, and that's it. She does the same thing at the end and that's it, in between is just her going somewhere. It's not that good, but with a very short segment like that, I guess they tried their best.

Porte De Choisy: A very weird segment that I have no idea what to think about it. It's funny though, and I do like how crazy it got, but then it gets even more weird. I liked the segment, but man is it odd.

Bastille: The acting is good, the writing is find, and I like how he went back to being the man that his wife first thought of him. It has done funny moments, some surprising ones, and some sweet moments, even if it ended a bit suddenly.

Place Des Victoires: Juliette Binoche does a great job of grieving over her boy, feeling completely devastated. Willem Dafoe is good from little screen time he had, and the story is not that bad, and it does a great job of letting go, making it more emotional than some of the segments here.

Tour Eiffel: An interesting segment that's coming from the perspective of a mime artist. The idea of that perspective is new, and it does give some funny moments. The way the mime artists meet is pretty funny and a bit adorable.

Parc Monceau: Alfonso Cauron's segment is one of the segments that I really wanted to see, and while not the best segment, it's still one the best segment that actually kind of reminds me of the Before Trilogy. Nick Nolte and Ludivine are really good, and I also like that it's in one continuous shot like his recent film Gravity, at least the first 14 minutes of it. The conversations are interesting, and I like the twist at the end.

Quartier Des Enfants Rouges: This is the first film section that I've seen from Olivier Assayas's, and it's a decent one that is different from the other segments. Maggie Gyllenhaal is good in this, and I do like the chemistry between the main leads, although I wish there was more of it however instead of seeing her be high of it for some scenes of it.

Place Des Fetes: This segment is a vey good segment that knew exactly what it had to be about. It shows the problems that the guy had to go through, only to see him get stabbed, and the song is not that bad either. I felt a bit sorry for him too as all he wanted to do is to find the girl to only to ask to get a cup of coffee.

Pigalle: Richard LaGravenese's segment is an interesting take on it that is really nice to see the late Bob Hoskins in. He's really good, both French and American, and I like the chemistry and argument between the main leads. The slapping kept getting a laugh from me, and the writing is really good.

Quartier De La Madeleine: I've heard a bit about that Vincenzo Natali's segment is the best one out of all of them, and in my opinion, I can definitely see why as this is the most different segment out of them all, which makes it stand out a bit more. It's an interesting take on the vampire genre and I don't think I've seen something like that before. I do like that it's dialogueless, and I really was curious about where it was going, which I did got a laugh out of its weirdness. This is probably the best one out of them all, and I'm curious to see the late Wes Craven's take on this movie.

Pere-Lachaise: Wes Craven's take on it was a disappointing segment that doesn't quite make sense or is just silly. The only thing that I think is the coolest part is Alexander Payne as Oscar Wilde as I never thought that he's an actor too, and he is not that bad, even though he's not in it much and instead was focused on the relationship which for some reason, got me a bit annoyed.

Faubourg Saint-Denis: Tom Tykwer's part in this is a tense segment that really takes on the relationship. It shows about the good things and the bad parts of being in a relationship. The writing is pretty good and I like the acting of it, even if the ending was a bit anticlimactic.

Quartier Latin: Good segment about an old couple that are about to be divorced. It's refreshing to see an old couple that are very accepting to each other, whether it's because they're about to be divorced, or talking about their other boyfriend or fiancà (C)e that are both younger than the original couple. They also act like friends too which I like, and they joke around also which gives me a chuckle here and there. Now on to the last segment by Alexander Payne.

14e Arrondissement: The last segment by Alexander Payne is a nice end to the film. Margo Martindale did a good job in French, and the writing by Alexander Payne and Nadine Eid is really good. It has some funny moments, and some interesting parts about why she loves Paris.

Overall, Paris, Je T'aime wasn't as great as I thought was gonna be due to the high praises, but I still really like it for most of the segments, and I did like what they did at the end, even if it wasn't more of it.
November 22, 2015
18 five minute (some seemed less) shorts supposedly showcasing the city of love. As you'd expect from the diverse nature of the directors, there are some better moments and some stinkers. I really enjoyed the Elijah Wood and Natalie Portman stories for instance, but found the majority of them to be average or less. Not my cup of tea apparently.
November 15, 2015
Très bon. International. Pas si français.
½ September 27, 2015
Several directors and enough celebrities take part in this set of stories that delight the experience.
July 27, 2015
The last story got to me so much and it became an instant favourite. Even though her French is far from perfect (she's an American tourist), she was still very relatable because of the issues she talked about and the moods she conjured: loneliness, hope, sadness, contentment; and she accomplished all of it in about five minutes. My other favourites include the artist (was the actor "Hannibal Rising"'s Gaspard Ulliel?) finding his soulmate and talking to him... and then there was a twist. Another great one was with Natalie Portman. There were so many costume changes, camera trickery, mystery, things that happened, and things that could have happened. Such segments prove that short films can be as or more powerful as full-feature films. This movie seriously made me want to take French again like in high school. The language and culture is so beautiful. If you're feeling like watching a movie but you feel like you have a short attention span, this is the movie for you. Each one is very interesting in some way. I highly recommend it.
July 18, 2015
quite enjoyable.. perfect for my attention span :)
June 21, 2015
Successful in capturing most aspects of the city of Paris.
½ June 7, 2015
Great anthology. Some stories are super sad, some are melancholic, and some are just bizarre. I think the one by Isabel Coixet was the best, followed by the Coen brothers and Natali's.
April 7, 2015
This translates to Paris I Love You. It is a collection of short films, all set in Paris. The idea is that all the films are a tribute to the city of Paris. The collection features some of the biggest directors in film. Including The Coen Brothers, Alexander Payne, Gus Van Sant, Alfonso Cuarón and many others.
½ January 20, 2015
Lo mejor los cortos de Gus Van Sant , Oliver Schmitz , Wes Craven , Tom Tykwer y Alexander Payne.
½ January 8, 2015
12/30/14 What can I say? I thought these short films were bad. I watched 4 of them, and then stopped because they were all pointless. I came back and watched another 2, but nothing improved. None of the stories ever had any resolution. It is just too difficult to tell any sort of interesting story over just 5 minutes. Although I only watched about 40 minutes, I felt it was a waste of time to continue. The Cohn brothers film was alright, but this was the best of a bunch of pointless stories.
December 16, 2014
I liked it much more than 'New York I Love You' because almost all stories touched me - some made me smile, some made me laugh, others made me cry...:) Only two or three confused me...
November 16, 2014
looks like a "love actually" set in Paris.
November 8, 2014
Had to stop watching after first five minutes. Unbelievable and ridiculous. Woman walking down the street faints. Man lays her in the backseat of his car and closes the doors, gets in the car himself. Instead of being at least slightly concerned that she may be in the process of being kidnapped, she simply says thank you. Poor acting and unrealistic.