Patch Adams - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Patch Adams Reviews

½ July 22, 2018
PATCH ADAMS is disgusting, treacly garbage- I hated it from beginning to end. It is a manipulative, tacky, sickeningly awful movie- it's basically cheap, simple bullshit that inadvertedly trashes and mocks the very concept of new ways of developing medicine of any kind. I know it has good intentions, but the naive idiots who made this movie simply do not understand that this kind of this story combined with the sanctimonious character Robin Williams plays simply does not work. What a waste of Robin Williams' brilliant skill. The movie is so shameless, it tries to engineer sympathy with considerable force, through metaphorical liposuction. That's sickening.

The fact that it pisses over the entire work of the real Patch Adams and ridicules it to the point of a joke is awful. Shame on the filmmakers- they ought to be ashamed.

This movie is stupid, manipulative, tasteless, and utterly disgusting- I strongly urge you to avoid it.
michael e.
March 29, 2018
A Dr. who had changed the way that all doctors had treated their patients and what he had gone through to be accepted as a full on doctor. But how does Robin Williams do as his portrayal of this incredible man.

Patch Adams is based on the life of the great Doctor Hunter Adams. The film follows his life after he goes to medical school and he is criticized by the head of the school due to him helping other patients when he doesn't need to help them when more experienced doctors should get the job done of making the patients feel better in the medical sense. But Patch wants to make patients feel better in the mental sense as well as the medical sense.

Robin Williams does a magnificent job as Hunter Adams, making him both a kind and sympathetic character and making him also a very likable and funny character, and you truly feel for all the pain he is going through during his time at medical school. Monica Porter does a great job as well as his love interest even if in real life her character was a male and had no affection for Patch in the love sense. She does a good job at being a somewhat mean character but she ends up being a very well developed and likable character near the end of her character in the film. Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Daniel London also both do great jobs as his good friends and Phillip Seymour Hoffman does a great job at being both a hatable character and ends up being a likable character.

Now for a Robin Williams this isn't really a comedic based film which is somewhat surprising for a film marketed as a film where Robin Williams is on the poster with a clown nose. he does act goofy a lot in the film but not as much as you'd expect, and really, its somewhat welcome for a film like this and he does the drama off well with this small bit of goofiness.

Overall this is my favorite of Robin Willaims film and one of my favorite movies, and that says a lot for a non comedic film when Williams is one of my favorite comedians as of late. The acting is well done, the characters are likable, and the film has some real good drama and shocks. If you can check this film out I'd say do it, no matter what the Nostalgia critic says.
January 1, 2018
beautiful movie portrayed wonderfully
½ December 22, 2017
A pathetic tearjerker that tries to make us cry at all costs with every sort of cheap narrative and manipulation, not even realizing how insulting it is with Robin Williams playing a clownish retard who is supposed to be some kind of happiness hero for the pitiful ones.
½ November 24, 2017
A good inspirational story. I love Robin in anything he does.
August 3, 2017
One of my all time favorites
June 6, 2017
I've been hearing a lot of mixed feelings about this movie. Some hated it, and some loved it. I'm one of the very few that's putting this movie in the 'okay' category
March 29, 2017
A very inspiring movie played by the late Robin Williams. This movie was based on the real " Patch Adams", Hunter Adams. This story needed to be shared. This movie was about making a difference in others life. Patch starts off as a depressed man, finds his mission and comes out as going against politics and beating the system. This movie is entertaining, heartfelt and meant to put a different perspective on life. I couldn't believe all the bad reviews on this movie..The whole concept of "Patch" is going the extra mile for someone else to feel special. An inspiring character, and Williams does a good job of pulling his role off with his entertaining personality and antics. The best remedy is to laugh..Robin Williams won me over in this film..
March 23, 2017
Secara keseluruhan, banyak yang menganggap film ini hanyalah sebuah placebo. But, I refuse to that opinion. Film ini bukanlah sebuah film yang hanya tampil dengan komedi-komedi sentimentil yang berlatar dengan nilai-nilai kemanusiaan. Menurut saya, film ini malah menawarkan sebuah tontonan yang menyenangkan, tidak membosankan dengan kisahnya yang sangat inspiratif.
March 19, 2017
one of the best feel good movies I have seen, Williams is hypnotic as Adams who seems to be the role he was born to play. Its hilarious heart warming at times a bit slow but Robin is simply amazing
½ January 13, 2017
170113: I'm considering 5 stars.
½ December 13, 2016
It isn't as entertaining as it should've been and doesn't quite make for a recommendable biographical film especially when you take into account the fact that the real Hunter 'Patch' Adams didn't like this movie but in my opinion, I thought that Robin Williams' performance in the role of the title character and the good amount of comedy and drama make the film mildly amusing in spite of Tom Shadyac's so-so direction.
November 14, 2016
My favorite Robin Williams movie. What's wrong with sentiments in a movie? I just don't get the critics. I adore this film.
November 8, 2016
Forget the quibbles of critics who see to think of things above and beyond what the story is trying to send. Enjoy the movie for the warmth, humor, and feeling of what Patch Adams did. It may be a bit of stretching the truth, but the overall feel good feeling it gives you will make you overlook a lot. Critics are not the people who determine what the viewers want. We, ourselves, decide. And I enjoyed this movie for it's compassion and its warmth and humor..
October 21, 2016
Surprised it didn't get a better rating, I liked this movie a lot.
October 3, 2016
I get fun of for liking this movie. I actually love this movie. I believe in it. I believe in its cause. And I truly find the movie entertaining and moving and inspirational. I wish the world reflected its message more.
½ August 21, 2016
Patch Adams means well, but misses the mark completely. It fails to capture the true beauty of the true story of Adams.
½ May 14, 2016
Sappy and stereotypical feel-good film. Robin Williams is typical him, as is the buzzkill for hire Bob Gunton, and Monica Potter continues to be the "poor man's Julia Roberts". The film will make you smile, but it's a load of rubbish.
½ March 9, 2016
I really like Robin Williams. I generally have a soft spot for sentimental movies. Patch Adams, however, is so saccharine and cliched I found myself cringing through most of the movie. The characters are one dimensional, the music is unbearably cheesy. I was confused as to who the target audience was, as the humour is childish, but too crude to be family friendly.
It's supposed to be all about funny, big-hearted Patch vs the cold, uncaring establishment, but Williams' character actually got on my nerves. You can really see why the real Patch Adams disliked this movie so much.
January 14, 2016
My favorite Robin Williams movie is Patch Adams because it seems that Williams was actually being transparent.